Extending Rubik's Cube notation to 5x5x5 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Extending Rubik's Cube notation to 5x5x5 - Sinclair ; This is the new standard notation I propose; partly original, mostly cobbled together from various sources. To start with, for the benefit of those who may have been living on a remote island for the last 25 years, I'll recap ...

  1. Extending Rubik's Cube notation to 5x5x5

    This is the new standard notation I propose; partly original, mostly
    cobbled together from various sources.

    To start with, for the benefit of those who may have been living on a
    remote island for the last 25 years, I'll recap the standard
    (Singmaster) notation:

    The front face as a whole, the centre cubie of the front face, or a 90
    degree clockwise turn of the front face, are all denoted by the letter
    F; it's nearly always obvious from the context which is meant. A 90
    degree anticlockwise turn is denoted by F' or F^-1; a 180 degree turn
    by F" or F2 or F^2.

    Likewise for (B)ack, (L)eft, (R)ight, (U)p and (D)own faces.

    The edge pieces are referred to by the names of the faces to which
    they belong (e.g. UR); likewise the corners (e.g. UBR). Corners are
    usually described clockwise as seen when looking at the corner from
    the outside of the cube, but this is not essential.

    Additionally, the three inner slices may be if necessary be denoted as
    X (the slice parallel to R), Y (the slice parallel to U) and Z (the
    slice parallel to F). As turns, X means a clockwise twist as observed
    when looking at R; likewise Y and Z.

    To extend this to the 4x4x4 (Revenge or Master -- I've seen it on sale
    under both those names), it is necessary to denote the *six* slices
    present, to distinguish between the two edge pieces common to each
    pair of faces, and to distinguish between the four centres on each
    face. This is done by referring to the slices as f, b, l, r, u and d;
    by adding to each edge the slice to which it belongs (e.g. UfR, UbR);
    and by adding to each centre the two slices to which it belongs (Ful,
    Fur, Fbl, Fbr).

    All that is now needed is some way of denoting the four entirely new
    centres added by the 5x5x5 (Professor); the obvious way is to add the
    slice it's on.

    And there you have it; I believe this notation gives a simple, concise
    and systematic way of giving a unique name to every cubie, slice or
    turn on every Cube from the Pocket (2x2x2) up to the Professor,
    inclusive. I leave you with a view of the Front face of the Professor
    Cube, with every cubie labelled with its name (or one of its possible
    names) given by this scheme:

    UFL | UlF | UF | UrF | FUR
    ----+-----+----+-----+----
    FuL | Ful | Fu | Fur | FuR
    ----+-----+----+-----+----
    FL | Fl | F | Fr | FR
    ----+-----+----+-----+----
    FdL | Fdl | Fd | Fdr | FdR
    ----+-----+----+-----+----
    FDL | FlD | FD | FrD | FRD

  2. Re: Extending Rubik's Cube notation to 5x5x5

    Challenge to readers: Devise a notation for the Pyraminx Crystal! :-)

    (Don't know what a Pyraminx Crystal is? You can see one here:
    )
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  3. Re: Extending Rubik's Cube notation to 5x5x5

    Robert Baker wrote:

    > Challenge to readers: Devise a notation for the Pyraminx Crystal! :-)
    >
    > (Don't know what a Pyraminx Crystal is? You can see one here:
    > )

    Label the faces T, TF, TFL, TFR, TPL, TPR,
    B, BP, BPL, BPR, BFL, BFR

    (Top Bottom Front Posterior Left Right)

    T indicates one clockwise rotation
    T2 indicates two CW rotations