Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project? - Sinclair ; Can't go into more detail right now but it involves replacing distribution restricted routines with open source ones (so you can't look at the original code). Just setting up the project at the moment. Also, would people prefer to work ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project?

    Can't go into more detail right now but it involves replacing
    distribution restricted routines with open source ones (so you can't
    look at the original code). Just setting up the project at the moment.
    Also, would people prefer to work with CVS or SVN?

  2. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Can't go into more detail right now but it involves replacing
    > distribution restricted routines with open source ones (so you can't
    > look at the original code). Just setting up the project at the moment.
    > Also, would people prefer to work with CVS or SVN?

    I could throw some code your way, always have time for
    a bit of Z80 coding. What's CVS/SVN ?

    --
    JGH

  3. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ?community project?

    jgharston wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    >> Can't go into more detail right now but it involves replacing
    >> distribution restricted routines with open source ones (so you can't
    >> look at the original code). Just setting up the project at the moment.
    >> Also, would people prefer to work with CVS or SVN?

    > I could throw some code your way, always have time for
    > a bit of Z80 coding. What's CVS/SVN ?

    "Concurrent versioning system" and "subversion".
    Used for checking in and out sourcecode changes so that many people can
    contribute to a project at once. There's also RCS (more primitive) and git
    (developed by linus for kernel development)
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Can't go into more detail right now but it involves replacing
    > distribution restricted routines with open source ones (so you can't
    > look at the original code). Just setting up the project at the moment.
    > Also, would people prefer to work with CVS or SVN?

    I'm not really up for taking on any new projects myself (and if this is
    what I think it is, my involvement on a similar project is already well
    established...) but I might as well stick my oar in and say that if the
    choice is between CVS or SVN, then there is - as far as I know - no
    reason whatsoever to choose CVS, because SVN was basically designed to
    be a direct replacement for CVS that sucks less.

    If someone muddies the waters by asking for Git or GNU Arch or
    something, that's a different matter...

  5. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for acommunity project?

    On Jul 23, 1:01*am, Matthew Westcott wrote:

    > I'm not really up for taking on any new projects myself (and if this is
    > what I think it is, my involvement on a similar project is already well
    > established...)

    Yes it is what you think it is, and it's probably going to help your
    project out an awful lot because I've just secured the rights to use
    an awful lot of existing code from the two machines that are most
    closely related to the target platform. As I see it the aim of your
    project is different from mine (I've PMed you on WoS about this) so
    there's no reason for a merge. However, I will be using code from your
    project in my project, and I hope you will be able to use a lot of
    code from my project in yours.

    > but I might as well stick my oar in and say that if the
    > choice is between CVS or SVN, then there is - as far as I know - no
    > reason whatsoever to choose CVS, because SVN was basically designed to
    > be a direct replacement for CVS that sucks less.

    SVN it is then. I'll set up a sourceforge project as soon as the
    preliminary work is finished.

    @JGH

    Great, I was hoping to use some code you've already written in any
    case. Drop me an email and I'll give you the details.

    Cheers!

  6. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ?community project?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Yes it is what you think it is, and it's probably going to help your
    > project out an awful lot because I've just secured the rights to use
    > an awful lot of existing code from the two machines that are most
    > closely related to the target platform.

    Why are you being to slippery about this?
    If you want people to join in, wouldn't it be an idea to say explicitely
    what the project IS. What the PLATFORM in question is'd help for that
    matter. Why all the cryptic clues aimed only at the one person who'll know
    what you're on about anyway?

    You could've done THAT by e-mail.

  7. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    On Jul 24, 11:26*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Why are you being to slippery about this?

    Fair question. I just wanted to tie up a few loose ends before going
    public.

    > If you want people to join in, wouldn't it be an idea to say explicitely
    > what the project IS. What the PLATFORM in question is'd help for that
    > matter.

    The project is called Open82. It is a fully open source version of
    Sinclair BASIC for use with ZX Spectrum compatible hardware. It will
    be published under the GNU GPL. It addresses the two issues with the
    Amstrad distribution permissions for the original ROM:

    1) it cannot be included in Debian packages
    2) it cannot be used in hardware projects

    The reason for being cryptic was that while permission had been given
    for what I wanted to do I hadn't been given it directly and I wanted
    to wait until the relevant people had replied to my emails. Now I can
    explain.

    The project takes the ZX81 ROM as the starting point and extends it to
    support the ZX Spectrum hardware based on the functional information
    from the Complete Spectrum ROM Disassembly (but not the Amstrad
    copyright code). To avoid having to write a lot of it from
    scratch, routines are also borrowed from the ZX80, SAM Coupe and the
    unreleased 1.0 beta of SE Basic (which reuses code from the Sea Change
    and Gosh Wonderful ROMs). This is done with the explicit permission of
    the copyright owners, except in the case of Geoff Wearmouth's code.
    However, he gave permission for its use in SE Basic and SE Basic was
    distributed with an open source license so there are no legal issues
    in reusing it in Open82.

    The Open82 assembly will generate a 16K ROM. However, unlike the
    original, a method will be included for extending BASIC via another
    ROM, although the paging method will not be specified. This should
    enable the easy adaption of the Open82 ROM for use with various
    hardware projects such as the Spectranet ethernet project.

    The Open82 project is distinct from the OpenZXRom project in that
    Open82 aims to implement a full version of Sinclair BASIC without
    concern for compatibility, whereas the OpenZXRom aims to run as much
    software as possible. In fact the two projects complement each other
    as the OpenZXRom can be loaded into RAM paged into the ROM area in
    order to load any software that doesn't work 'out-of-the-box' with
    Open82.

  8. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    > > a bit of Z80 coding. What's CVS/SVN ?
    > contribute to a project at once. There's also RCS (more primitive)

    Oh, I remember that. Will email you when I get home.

    --
    JGH

  9. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    On 24 Jul, 12:34, OwenBot wrote:
    > In fact the two projects complement each other
    > as the OpenZXRom can be loaded into RAM paged into the ROM area in
    > order to load any software that doesn't work 'out-of-the-box' with
    > Open82.

    It sounds like I might be better off with Matthew's OpenZXRom for now,
    although you have started work on the open source Open82.

  10. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    On 24 Jul, 12:34, OwenBot wrote:
    > To avoid having to write a lot of it from
    > scratch, routines are also borrowed from the ZX80, SAM Coupe and the
    > unreleased 1.0 beta of SE Basic (which reuses code from the Sea Change
    > and Gosh Wonderful ROMs). This is done with the explicit permission of
    > the copyright owners, except in the case of Geoff Wearmouth's code.
    > However, he gave permission for its use in SE Basic and SE Basic was
    > distributed with an open source license so there are no legal issues
    > in reusing it in Open82.

    Eeek!

    Yes I remember that. It happened right here in css.
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...d3e4c4a48cb10b
    The exchange went something like
    "Can I pinch it?"
    "Yes"
    "Maybe I'll stick with 'mine' - it's better"

    Had I known that you would take the entire source file, remove my name
    and add your own and call it SE Basic to coincide with the review of
    SE Basic by Trinity Mirror then I would have hesitated. Your habit of
    using other people's hard work without accreditation was already
    causing me concern that I quoted some advice on the subject in my
    first reply.

    He [SV - for it is he] warns his students -
    "The last part, is an important part of the exercise! If you quote a
    web
    page without saying where the page is, that can sometimes be
    plagiarism
    - passing off somebody else's work as your own -, which is a serious
    offence academically. So we want you to get used to this idea."

    You asked me last month if I would allow you to donate my old renumber
    routine to the OpenZXRom project. As an admirer of Matthew's work I
    was a little confused. I now see that you had something completely
    different in mind.

  11. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ?community project?

    "OwenBot" wrote:

    > To avoid having to write a lot of it from scratch, routines are also
    > borrowed from the ZX80 [and] SAM Coupe

    Surely those ROMs have the same problem of copyright, don't they?

    Eq.

  12. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    This has gone on long enough. I demand an apology.

    > Had I known that you would take the entire source file, remove my name
    > and add your own and call it SE Basic to coincide with the review of
    > SE Basic by Trinity Mirror then I would have hesitated.

    I did no such thing. I had no involvement in the article. I removed
    the offending source file at your request.

    > Your habit of
    > using other people's hard work without accreditation was already
    > causing me concern that I quoted some advice on the subject in my
    > first reply.

    I have never used other people's work without accreditation. If you
    persist in repeating this unfounded allegation I will be taking legal
    advice.

    > You asked me last month if I would allow you to donate my old renumber
    > routine to the OpenZXRom project. As an admirer of Matthew's work I
    > was a little confused. I now see that you had something completely
    > different in mind.

    I did not. That was before I had spoken to John Grant and Andrew
    Wright. If you do not wish me to reuse your code then I will respect
    your wishes. It will set back the Open82 project, but if it saves me
    having to put up with personal attacks then so be it.

  13. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    On Jul 27, 11:56*pm, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > "OwenBot" wrote:
    > > To avoid having to write a lot of it from scratch, routines are also
    > > borrowed from the ZX80 [and] SAM Coupe

    > Surely those ROMs have the same problem of copyright, don't they?

    John Grant and Andrew Wright have given me permission to re-use their
    code and publish under the GNU GPL, at which point Matthew and anyone
    else who wants to can re-use the code.

  14. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a?community project?

    On 28 Jul, 11:18, OwenBot wrote:
    > This has gone on long enough. I demand an apology.

    Apologize to a Robot. Is this a Turing Test?

    > I did no such thing. I had no involvement in the article. I removed
    > the offending source file at your request.

    I did not request the removal of the SE Basic 0.94 source.
    Check out Google. It is no longer on WOS but I made a copy.

    http://gwearmouth.googlepages.com/source.txt

    > I have never used other people's work without accreditation. If you
    > persist in repeating this unfounded allegation I will be taking legal
    > advice.

  15. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ??community project?

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > On 28 Jul, 11:18, OwenBot wrote:
    >> This has gone on long enough. I demand an apology.

    > Apologize to a Robot. Is this a Turing Test?
    >
    >> I did no such thing. I had no involvement in the article. I removed
    >> the offending source file at your request.

    > I did not request the removal of the SE Basic 0.94 source.
    > Check out Google. It is no longer on WOS but I made a copy.
    >
    > http://gwearmouth.googlepages.com/source.txt
    >
    >> I have never used other people's work without accreditation. If you
    >> persist in repeating this unfounded allegation I will be taking legal
    >> advice.

    It does look like you did, looking at that file. "Modified by andrew owen"
    No other names present. That's naughty. You acknowledge that it's not soley
    your work with the "modified by" bit, but don't actually credit anyone else
    in the file.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  16. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ??community project?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > > On 28 Jul, 11:18, OwenBot wrote:
    > >> This has gone on long enough. I demand an apology.

    > > Apologize to a Robot. Is this a Turing Test?
    > >
    > >> I did no such thing. I had no involvement in the article. I removed
    > >> the offending source file at your request.

    > > I did not request the removal of the SE Basic 0.94 source.
    > > Check out Google. It is no longer on WOS but I made a copy.
    > >
    > > http://gwearmouth.googlepages.com/source.txt
    > >
    > >> I have never used other people's work without accreditation. If you
    > >> persist in repeating this unfounded allegation I will be taking

    > legal >> advice.
    > >

    > It does look like you did, looking at that file. "Modified by andrew
    > owen" No other names present. That's naughty. You acknowledge that
    > it's not soley your work with the "modified by" bit, but don't
    > actually credit anyone else in the file.

    I have to concur. I have to say that Geoff, who I've communicated with
    many times in email an usenet (albeit not using my current silly
    pseudonym) and who's always seemed like a genuinely laid-back and
    froody sort of a chap to me, is owed some form of apology.

    We shouldn't really be bickering over this stuff; it's of interest to a
    tiny, tiny minority of the universe and not remotely significant in the
    grand scheme of things. But failing to attribute someone's many hours
    of painstaking work to them is clearly not in the spirit of things, and
    not the way to encourage future innovation. Credit where it's due and
    all that...
    --
    Slower Than You

  17. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a??community project?

    On Jul 29, 1:35*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > It does look like you did, looking at that file. "Modified by andrew owen"
    > No other names present. That's naughty. You acknowledge that it's not soley
    > your work with the "modified by" bit, but don't actually credit anyone else
    > in the file.

    Yes it does look like that if you don't look at the separate author
    file. The modification referred to is the fact that it was Geoff's
    assembly listing that was modified. I wasn't trying to take credit for
    the code. And while it's true Geoff didn't specifically ask me to take
    down the file, he did express concern over the comments, which were
    partly his and partly from the Complete Spectrum ROM Disassembly
    (since Geoff's assembly is not quite complete). Frankly the file I
    posted is a mess and I shouldn't have posted it in that condition. I
    want to stress again --- this was a Beta. Yes, I should have posted
    the author file at the same time. It was an oversight. I apologize.

    I would request that Geoff remove the file as well since the authors
    are not credited in it, but since I'm can't claim any ownership of it
    I don't have any right to.

  18. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a??community project?

    On Jul 29, 3:24*am, "Slower Than You" wrote:

    > I have to concur. I have to say that Geoff, who I've communicated with
    > many times in email an usenet (albeit not using my current silly
    > pseudonym) and who's always seemed like a genuinely laid-back and
    > froody sort of a chap to me, is owed some form of apology.

    He's not the one being defamed. I unreservedly apologize to Geoff for
    any distress he has suffered as a result of my action or inaction. But
    I want to be very clear that I never intended to take undue credit for
    other people's work. I'm human. I make mistakes. I've learned my
    lesson -- I don't do public betas any more.

  19. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a ??community project?

    OwenBot wrote:

    > I've learned my
    > lesson -- I don't do public betas any more.

    I don't think the lesson was "don't do public betas". I think the
    lesson was "don't release someone else's code with minor cosmetic
    changes without making it clear who actually did the bulk of the work".
    --
    Slower Than You

  20. Re: Does anyone feel like writing a few small Z80 routines for a??community project?

    On Jul 30, 2:24*am, "Slower Than You" wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > I've learned my
    > > lesson -- I don't do public betas any more.

    > I don't think the lesson was "don't do public betas". I think the
    > lesson was "don't release someone else's code with minor cosmetic
    > changes without making it clear who actually did the bulk of the work".

    A beta, by its very nature, is an unpolished thing. That includes the
    documentation. You can think what you like, but since no-one seems
    willing to give me the benefit of the doubt I have nothing further to
    add.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast