Eep - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Eep - Sinclair ; On Jul 4, 6:28*am, InkyFeet wrote: > Owenbot wrote: > > Long time no see cobber. How's life in Brizzy? Lots has been going on > > while you've been absent but maybe you've been lurking on WoS and seen ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Eep

    On Jul 4, 6:28*am, InkyFeet wrote:
    > Owenbot wrote:
    > > Long time no see cobber. How's life in Brizzy? Lots has been going on
    > > while you've been absent but maybe you've been lurking on WoS and seen
    > > all the updates. If not then there's Winston's Ethernet project, Chris
    > > Smith's Harlequin SE project (which I'm looking forward to getting
    > > hold of as the SE prototype has died), more games than you can shake a
    > > stick at, and ... oh yes, I've resumed work on my cRPG for the SE. If
    > > you feel like helping out the project could some more C developers
    > > (it's a port and there's C++ source available, but obviously it will
    > > need some rework to get a C version that fits into 256K with all the
    > > data).

    > Life in Brizzy isn't too bad - since I was last here I've been engaged
    > again (yes, you did detect the past tense), got a new car, been in a
    > band, a duo and am now solo again (if interested check out
    > Starlingfall on myspace.com)
    >
    > I didn't get much from the WoS forum before it became unavailable at
    > work sadly, I saw the link to the new game with the skeleton which I
    > though was exceptionally good (but I'm afraid I didn't note the name
    > or author).

    Game with a skeleton? I must have missed that one. What kind of game
    was it? The most prolific authors of new Speccy games seem to be Bobs,
    Jon Cauldwell (both their stuff is released on the Cronosoft label),
    and CEZ games (a Spanish retro software group).

    > I've not seen anything about the ethernet or harlequin SE
    > project - though I did try to find the SpeccyBob pages the other day
    > as one of my colleagues has a PAL/GAL/EPROM programmer and is looking
    > for projects (and I'm allowed to borrow it too, so I'm getting back on
    > some hardware stuff myself...)

    Forget SpeccyBob. The Harlequin features a fully compatible ULA
    replacement (so good you can use it in the original machine).
    http://www.zxdesign.info/
    Chris has promised to add support for the Spectrum SE, hence Harlequin
    SE.

    > Nothing quite as exciting as the old Loki design (not at this stage).
    > First draft will have a "proper key" keyboard, built-in SD card based
    > MP3 player as a replacement to a tapedeck, and a compact flash
    > interface (I'm still working out which version I'm going to build).

    I would forget about the MP3 player and go for divIDE+ with an SD to
    CF adapter. Then you can use ResiDOS to load stuff off the SD card
    directly.

    > After that I'll look at memory expansion, clock speeds, screen modes
    > etc (especially if I can find my old logic diagrams and the speccybob
    > circuits) .. and of course I might just be content with what I have
    > after stage one (in the past I've spent too long looking at
    > possibilities and then run out of interest before getting the
    > soldering iron out)

    With fast mass storage there isn't really a pressing need for heaps of
    RAM. 256K in the Spectrum SE format is enough to be able to run
    software for every Timex and Sinclair machine from the ZX80 to the +2.
    The SE can now emulate the Jupiter Ace, the Apple I and a few other
    unusual machines too. There was a recent discussion about clock speeds
    on WoS. I think that a 35Mhz T80 core would be plenty fast enough,
    although you could use a 20Mhz Z80 overclocked to 21Mhz. As for the
    screen modes, there's not much point creating a mode that no-one will
    use. I think the expanded modes of the SE are adequate, although the
    ability to change the palette would be good. If you were going to go
    for a colour per pixel mode it would be best to clone a mode from the
    Sam so that there would already be some software for it.

    http://spectrum.alioth.net/doc/index.php/Current_events

    > Oh, at the risk of looking like a vulture. if the SE's broken, do you
    > still have the parts?

    It's with Chris Smith. He's going to try and fix it and then use it
    for compatibility testing purposes for the Harlequin. If I were
    building a new prototype now I wouldn't be starting with 20 year old
    parts. It lasted long enough to get into emulation (FUSE on just about
    every OS and EightyOne on Windows).

    At some point I'm going to be reviving the SE Basic project in order
    to support the Harlequin's additional hardware. Z88DK has been updated
    a lot since you were last here and is now a pretty good C development
    environment. If you fancy helping out I still have the 'ZX Spectrum SE
    Killler App' project on the go.

  2. Re: Eep

    Sam Gillett wrote:

    > "Slower Than You" wrote ...
    >
    > > Sam Gillett wrote:
    > >
    > > > They may be under an antenna array somewhere so that the
    > > > communications equipment that was recovered can be used to talk
    > > > to alien spacecraft that have not crashed yet.
    > > >
    > > > Or maybe they can be used to talk to the Russian project for
    > > > recovered alien technology. :-)

    > > The original source of the Russian's amazing technological advances
    > > was Cambridge, England, not outer space.

    > Is Cambridge where the British keep their recovered alien spacecraft?

    No, it's where Sinclair Research kept it's boffins in the 1980's. All
    the technology was stolen by the Russians to make it's advanced Speccy
    clones. If it wasn't for us, they'd still be counting on their fingers!
    --
    Slower Than You

  3. Re: Eep

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:13:41 +0100, Andrew Halliwell
    wrote:

    >Only the US sites will go down.

    But then we'd lose Wikipedia.

    Which, when I think about it, may not be such a bad idea. (There
    was a recent attempt to take down the page on Elite's "Roller Coaster"
    as being "non-notable" and "unsourced" (an AfD which was rapidly shot
    down in flames on both accounts), and for some reason those idiots
    persist in claiming that Captain Scarlet is "not notable".)
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  4. Re: Eep

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:14:43 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Robert Baker:

    > But then we'd lose Wikipedia.
    >
    > Which, when I think about it, may not be such a bad idea. (There
    > was a recent attempt to take down the page on Elite's "Roller Coaster"
    > as being "non-notable" and "unsourced" (an AfD which was rapidly shot
    > down in flames on both accounts), and for some reason those idiots
    > persist in claiming that Captain Scarlet is "not notable".)

    Pah! Why do you need that, when you've got YS-pedia[1]?

    I can guarantee that everything[2] is notable, and even if it's
    made-up lies, unsourced and irrelevant to whichever page you
    link it to, nobody will care.

    Chris

    [1] aka Your Sinclair: A Celebration (wiki version)
    [2] or nothing

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: Eep

    Slower Than You wrote:

    > All the technology was stolen by the Russians to make it's advanced Speccy
    > clones. If it wasn't for us, they'd still be counting on their fingers!

    Using ternary arithmetic.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Eep

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > It was also designed to be massively redundant and routable. A large
    > section drops out, it'll route around the blockage. The USA might
    > lock down but the USA doesn't own the internet and all the internet
    > service providers outside the USA can ignore the "switch to secure
    > mode" and go on as normal.
    >
    > Only the US sites will go down. And most large companies have internet
    > domains on .com AND in other countries.
    >
    > If we lose the "backbone", the internet will form a new backbone.

    Yes yes SamīGillett....

    well

    errmm

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  7. Re: Eep

    Robert Baker wrote:

    > But then we'd lose Wikipedia.
    >
    > Which, when I think about it, may not be such a bad idea. (There
    > was a recent attempt to take down the page on Elite's "Roller Coaster"
    > as being "non-notable" and "unsourced" (an AfD which was rapidly shot
    > down in flames on both accounts), and for some reason those idiots
    > persist in claiming that Captain Scarlet is "not notable".)

    hmmmm, can I adjust my favourite surf programm to deny 'wiki', any time
    I do a search on a search-server?

    ;-)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  8. Re: Eep

    On 04 Jul 2008 20:48:52 GMT, "Daniel Mandic"
    wrote:

    >hmmmm, can I adjust my favourite surf programm to deny 'wiki', any time
    >I do a search on a search-server?

    I think, in Google or any engine which uses similar parameters,
    "-site:*wiki*" *might* work. [Is *might* a regular expression
    matching "almighty"? -- Ed]
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  9. Re: Eep

    Robert Baker wrote:

    > I think, in Google or any engine which uses similar parameters,
    > "-site:*wiki*" might work. [Is might a regular expression
    > matching "almighty"? -- Ed]

    Hi Robert!

    Well, so far I know. But something like a default (requester)
    setting....

    hnnrr......, fnar.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  10. Re: Eep

    On Jul 4, 7:26*pm, OwenBot wrote:
    > Game with a skeleton? I must have missed that one. What kind of game
    > was it?

    Was a platformer, and seemed to be offered as a free .tap download
    somewhere. It was really very good. Nice animation too.

    > > Nothing quite as exciting as the old Loki design (not at this stage).
    > > First draft will have a "proper key" keyboard, built-in SD card based
    > > MP3 player as a replacement to a tapedeck, and a compact flash
    > > interface (I'm still working out which version I'm going to build).

    > I would forget about the MP3 player and go for divIDE+ with an SD to
    > CF adapter. Then you can use ResiDOS to load stuff off the SD card
    > directly.

    Nah - a big part of this for me is nostaliga. That and having
    something to tinker with. The MP3 player solution means I don't have
    to be buying up tape decks every time I see one (which I was doing to
    record band rehersals anyway until I got a Zoom H4 and a Boss BR900CD
    which record on SD and CF cards respectively). For mass storage it was
    either ZXCF or +3e and as I'm starting off with a 48K spectrum, ZXCF
    made most sense for now.

    Whilst I see where you're coming from (and boy are there some
    impressive looking new gadgets out there), I really (at least to start
    off with) want to start with something I know and add little bits on
    here and there. A lot of this is about nostalgia and finally realising
    some plans I've had i for over a decade. (I have to admit it though..
    divIDE is tempting)

    > > After that I'll look at memory expansion, clock speeds, screen modes
    > > etc (especially if I can find my old logic diagrams and the speccybob
    > > circuits) .. and of course I might just be content with what I have
    > > after stage one (in the past I've spent too long looking at
    > > possibilities and then run out of interest before getting the
    > > soldering iron out)

    > With fast mass storage there isn't really a pressing need for heaps of
    > RAM. 256K in the Spectrum SE format is enough to be able to run
    > software for every Timex and Sinclair machine from the ZX80 to the +2.

    Yes, getting the CF interface working will negate a lot of the need
    for extra memory, though getting it up to 128K will be nice for
    starters. WIth the Harlequin SE on the way, matching the memory map
    and paging methods for that would make sense

    > > Oh, at the risk of looking like a vulture. if the SE's broken, do you
    > > still have the parts?

    > It's with Chris Smith. He's going to try and fix it and then use it
    > for compatibility testing purposes for the Harlequin.

    Cool! I just didn't want to see it go to waste

  11. Re: Eep

    On Jul 16, 5:00*am, InkyFeet wrote:
    > A lot of this is about nostalgia and finally realising
    > some plans I've had i for over a decade. (I have to admit it though..
    > divIDE is tempting)

    You could write a GUI to work with it. I still have all the graphics I
    did for a Speccy GUI which you could use.

    > Yes, getting the CF interface working will negate a lot of the need
    > for extra memory, though getting it up to 128K will be nice for
    > starters. WIth the Harlequin SE on the way, matching the memory map
    > and paging methods for that would make sense

    That and the fact that one day my SE killer app will be finished.

    > > > Oh, at the risk of looking like a vulture. if the SE's broken, do you
    > > > still have the parts?

    > > It's with Chris Smith. He's going to try and fix it and then use it
    > > for compatibility testing purposes for the Harlequin.

    > Cool! I just didn't want to see it go to waste

    The whole point of it was to get an enhanced Spectrum model available
    in emulators. Goal achieved. Now I have to write the firmware for it.
    This will take the form of two ROMs using the 128 paging model. The
    first ROM will be an open source version of Sinclair Basic and the
    second ROM will contain extensions to support the additional hardware.
    If you feel like dusting off the assembler I could use some help with
    the Basic ROM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2