Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings. - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings. - Sinclair ; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm -------------------- Personal flying machines will be a reality, home computer and electric car pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair has said. He told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that soon it would be "economically and technically possible" to create flying cars ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    --------------------
    Personal flying machines will be a reality, home computer and electric
    car pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair has said.

    He told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that soon it would be "economically
    and technically possible" to create flying cars for individuals.

    Sir Clive is best-known for the Spectrum computer and his failed
    electric car effort, the C5.

    "I'm sure it will happen and I am sure it will change the world
    dramatically," he predicted.

    Despite his pioneering work in the field of computers, Sir Clive told
    BBC Radio 4 he was not an internet user.
    --------------------

    Blimey, so we're all going to have personal flying machines.

    Surprising that he doesn't use teh internets, perhaps he's scared of
    all the tubes.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  2. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > Blimey, so we're all going to have personal flying machines.
    >
    > Surprising that he doesn't use teh internets, perhaps he's scared of
    > all the tubes.

    Is he referring to "personal flying machines" for the masses (i.e.
    something that somehow works differently to light aircraft or
    microlights, and doesn't require the levels of study, understanding and
    practice needed to fly them safely)?

    If so, he's clearly on crack. If not, then we already have "personal
    flying machines" and have done for the best part of a century.

    As much as I like the bloke, I suspect the former.
    --
    Slower Than You

  3. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:

    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> Blimey, so we're all going to have personal flying machines.
    >>
    >> Surprising that he doesn't use teh internets, perhaps he's scared of
    >> all the tubes.

    > Is he referring to "personal flying machines" for the masses (i.e.
    > something that somehow works differently to light aircraft or
    > microlights, and doesn't require the levels of study, understanding and
    > practice needed to fly them safely)?
    >
    > If so, he's clearly on crack. If not, then we already have "personal
    > flying machines" and have done for the best part of a century.
    >
    > As much as I like the bloke, I suspect the former.

    While I'm not actually him, I also suspect that he means personal
    helicopters and the like. Pure fantasy, stuff like this just can't
    exist ;-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp0WnZ-4Tqg

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd99ziWFF7Q

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09_yvcASLM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdd4Jt_rBE

    About as practical as the early motor cars, although chances are the
    development of such machines is much better understood these days so
    the analogy doesn't really work so well. Plus of course, adding in
    the safety elements required would bloat them enormously, finally as
    you suggest, putting people at the controls of such things when they
    can't even handle cars isn't going to work! They'd have to be so
    automated as to be close to public transport.

    Then again, he is really clever!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  4. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...

    > --------------------
    > Personal flying machines will be a reality, home computer and electric
    > car pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair has said.
    >
    > He told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that soon it would be "economically
    > and technically possible" to create flying cars for individuals.
    >
    > Sir Clive is best-known for the Spectrum computer and his failed
    > electric car effort, the C5.
    >
    > "I'm sure it will happen and I am sure it will change the world
    > dramatically," he predicted.

    Sounds like he was repeating what he read in a 45 year old "Popular Science"
    magazine. Sir Clive has also been reading about P.T. Barnum, and like Barnum
    believes that there is a sucker born every minute. Or maybe it was in
    "Mechanics Illustrated." Anyway, I remember reading all about the soon to
    become reality flying cars when I was young and in the Navy. That was back
    in the 1960's

    > Despite his pioneering work in the field of computers, Sir Clive told
    > BBC Radio 4 he was not an internet user.

    Probably scared he might have to defend some of his other crazy ideas.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    I saw Sir Clive making crop circles,
    But they turned out square!!

  5. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On 2008-07-01, Sam Gillett wrote:

    > "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...
    >
    >> Despite his pioneering work in the field of computers, Sir Clive told
    >> BBC Radio 4 he was not an internet user.

    > Probably scared he might have to defend some of his other crazy ideas.

    .... says the voice of reason!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  6. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > About as practical as the early motor cars, although chances are the
    > development of such machines is much better understood these days so
    > the analogy doesn't really work so well. Plus of course, adding in
    > the safety elements required would bloat them enormously, finally as
    > you suggest, putting people at the controls of such things when they
    > can't even handle cars isn't going to work! They'd have to be so
    > automated as to be close to public transport.

    Yup, and building something that's capable of being flown safely in the
    not-atypical 30 or 40 knot winds we get, or in cloud, or in poor
    visibility, or on a cold day when the wings/rotors are covered in frost
    or snow and some nerk decides he can't be bothered to clear them before
    trying to get airborne, would all be "interesting" challenges.

    And making something that didn't kill the pilot or whoever was
    underneath him when he ran out of fuel, or broke down, or had an
    airborne "prang", would also be fun.

    As would expecting your average numpty to read an aviation chart and
    steer clear of controlled zones, danger zones, military bases, firing
    ranges, etc. Or expecting people not to get lost and drift into the
    same (given that existing, fairly well-trained pilots, do this with
    alarming regularity).

    For a supposedly intelligent bloke, he doesn't half come up with some
    nonsense!
    --
    Slower Than You

  7. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:

    > For a supposedly intelligent bloke, he doesn't half come up with some
    > nonsense!

    Well, it seems neither of us really read the article before posting
    our waffle, as he did actually say it'd have to be largely automatic
    due to unskilled users, plus of course the text was just a small
    extract of a longer interview on radio 4, which I hope to listen to at
    some point.

    Not that I'm suggesting that super-smart people like ourselves might
    be going off half-****ed of course ;-)

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  8. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    > > For a supposedly intelligent bloke, he doesn't half come up with
    > > some nonsense!

    > Well, it seems neither of us really read the article before posting
    > our waffle, as he did actually say it'd have to be largely automatic
    > due to unskilled users, plus of course the text was just a small
    > extract of a longer interview on radio 4, which I hope to listen to at
    > some point.

    Sounds like he's envisioning some sort of pod you get in, set your
    destination, and sit there reading the paper until you arrive.
    Possible, I guess, but I'm not sure I'd want to get in such a device
    made by Sinclair Research (well, not without a good supply of blu-tac
    to cure any "intertial navigation system"-pack wobble that may occur
    mid flight). And suddenly it's not really as exciting a whizzing about
    with a jet pack or hover-boots that people tend to picture when you
    think of personal flying machines.

    > Not that I'm suggesting that super-smart people like ourselves might
    > be going off half-****ed of course ;-)

    Perish the thought!
    --
    Slower Than You

  9. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    you could probably do something like this in America, where the FAA will
    let any old tin of bolts have a certificate of airworthyness.

    our 'Committee Against Aviation' makes everything related to flight and
    endless and expensive beurocratic nightmare

    I think I'm right in saying also that in the US it's possible to get a
    license to fly certain machines, simply on the strength of having a
    drivers license, some sport plane license or something.

    here you have to have a squillion pounds worth of flying lessons, and an
    expensive medical every 15 minutes, then there's the fees the ATC and
    airfield people screw out of you, it's a Very Expensive passtime

  10. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Guesser wrote:

    > you could probably do something like this in America, where the FAA
    > will let any old tin of bolts have a certificate of airworthyness.
    >
    > our 'Committee Against Aviation' makes everything related to flight
    > and endless and expensive beurocratic nightmare
    >
    > I think I'm right in saying also that in the US it's possible to get
    > a license to fly certain machines, simply on the strength of having a
    > drivers license, some sport plane license or something.

    You don't need a licence to fly an ultralight aircraft in the states,
    although you'd probably die or maim yourself fairly quickly if you
    jumped in one with no training at all.

    > here you have to have a squillion pounds worth of flying lessons, and
    > an expensive medical every 15 minutes,

    Not true. For an NPPL (daytime VFR, and UK only) you merely need to
    sign a form saying you've never suffered from a bunch of medical
    conditions (epilepsy, heart problems, colour-blindness, etc) and then
    get your GP to counter sign it (which the profiteering buggers
    sometimes charge for - about 25 quid).

    > then there's the fees the ATC
    > and airfield people screw out of you, it's a Very Expensive passtime

    You can use private/farm strips if you can find them and get permission
    to use them. But landing fees are typically in the 10-20 quid range -
    the ATC system is largely subsidised by the airline industry (or the
    RAF in some instances).

    It's not *that* expensive a hobby, as long as you treat the learning
    bit as part of the fun rather than something you have to get through...
    The main barrier in the UK is the ****e weather. It's not much fun if
    you've taken a day off work and end up spending it sitting in a dank
    portacabin drinking endless cups of tea waiting for the clagg to lift
    and/or the wind to drop. That is the status quo for private flying the
    UK, and one of the reasons why people often bugger off to florida for a
    couple of weeks to learn to fly.
    --
    Slower Than You

  11. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:12:22 +0100, Guesser
    wrote:

    >you could probably do something like this in America, where the FAA will
    >let any old tin of bolts have a certificate of airworthyness.

    Didn't some merkin twit once take flight in a lawn chair, or
    something? It was borne aloft by bin bags filled with helium IIRC...
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  12. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:12:22 +0100, Guesser
    > wrote:
    >
    >> you could probably do something like this in America, where the FAA will
    >> let any old tin of bolts have a certificate of airworthyness.

    > Didn't some merkin twit once take flight in a lawn chair, or
    > something? It was borne aloft by bin bags filled with helium IIRC...

    snopes says yes

    http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

  13. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Robert Baker wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:12:22 +0100, Guesser
    > wrote:
    >
    > > you could probably do something like this in America, where the FAA
    > > will let any old tin of bolts have a certificate of airworthyness.

    > Didn't some merkin twit once take flight in a lawn chair, or
    > something? It was borne aloft by bin bags filled with helium IIRC...

    Wikipedia lists a couple of blokes who've apparently done this:-

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Chair_Larry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Couch

    Totally bonkers, but very cool!
    --
    Slower Than You

  14. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:

    > Wikipedia lists a couple of blokes who've apparently done this:-
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Chair_Larry
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Couch
    >
    > Totally bonkers, but very cool!

    Most recent one I read about didn't come back!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  15. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:13:06 +0100, Ian Rawlings
    wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm
    >
    >Blimey, so we're all going to have personal flying machines.
    >
    >Surprising that he doesn't use teh internets, perhaps he's scared of
    >all the tubes.

    Sod that, when am I getting my jet pac?

  16. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Of course C5 in z80 code was....

    :-)

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrng6ij32.9bu.news06@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .

    > --------------------
    > Personal flying machines will be a reality, home computer and electric
    > car pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair has said.
    >
    > He told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that soon it would be "economically
    > and technically possible" to create flying cars for individuals.
    >
    > Sir Clive is best-known for the Spectrum computer and his failed
    > electric car effort, the C5.
    >
    > "I'm sure it will happen and I am sure it will change the world
    > dramatically," he predicted.
    >
    > Despite his pioneering work in the field of computers, Sir Clive told
    > BBC Radio 4 he was not an internet user.
    > --------------------
    >
    > Blimey, so we're all going to have personal flying machines.
    >
    > Surprising that he doesn't use teh internets, perhaps he's scared of
    > all the tubes.
    >
    > --
    > Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
    > http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  17. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    > > Wikipedia lists a couple of blokes who've apparently done this:-
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Chair_Larry
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Couch
    > >
    > > Totally bonkers, but very cool!

    > Most recent one I read about didn't come back!

    "On April 20, 2008 the Brazilian Roman Catholic priest Adelir Antonio
    de
    Carli unsuccessfully flew using a chair and 1000 helium balloons. He
    did not check the weather forecast and got caught in a storm. He had a
    GPS but did not know how to operate it. He was last heard on the radio
    approaching the water after flying off the coast, unable to give his
    position, and was not found."

    Sounds like a candidate for a Darwin Award if ever there was one!
    --
    Slower Than You

  18. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    On 2008-07-01, Slower Than You wrote:

    > "On April 20, 2008 the Brazilian Roman Catholic priest Adelir Antonio
    > de
    > Carli unsuccessfully flew using a chair and 1000 helium balloons. He
    > did not check the weather forecast and got caught in a storm. He had a
    > GPS but did not know how to operate it. He was last heard on the radio
    > approaching the water after flying off the coast, unable to give his
    > position, and was not found."

    Sounds like the same chap, but he was reckoned to have a good chance
    of survival at first as he had a lot of experience at keeping himself
    alive, various survival training and lots of experience, possibly in
    some military capacity IIRC. April's some time ago by now, from the
    lack of news I suspect he's shuffled off his mortal coil.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  19. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    Brian Gaff wrote:

    > Of course C5 in z80 code was....
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Brian

    has anyone read the thread?

    ;-)

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  20. Re: Our leader has spoken. Strap on your wings.

    C5 that would be PUSH BC

    Maybe personal flying machines will work if we give them a push?

    Steve

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > Of course C5 in z80 code was....

+ Reply to Thread