Time-Gate: editors wanted - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Time-Gate: editors wanted - Sinclair ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Gate This article (especially the Plot) is mainly ripped from the instructions I wrote 14 years ago for a game I never got around to writing.[1] I've cleaned it up as much as I can, trying to make it encyclopaedic ...

  1. Time-Gate: editors wanted

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Gate

    This article (especially the Plot) is mainly ripped from the
    instructions I wrote 14 years ago for a game I never got around to
    writing.[1] I've cleaned it up as much as I can, trying to make it
    encyclopaedic by removing the humour and POV (e.g. the bit about /Knot
    in 3D/ originally said "I would regard it as 4D"; I changed that to
    "mathematicians would regard it"), but I'm sure there's crap I left in
    which ought to have been removed, and other crap I should have
    inserted but didn't (a few more wikilinks?). So, anyone who'd care to
    look at it is welcome, and you don't have to be registered to *edit*
    pages, only to *create* them (and suchlike).

  2. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:14:27 +0100, Robert Baker
    wrote:

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Gate
    >
    >This article (especially the Plot) is mainly ripped from the
    >instructions I wrote 14 years ago for a game I never got around to
    >writing.[1] [et-bloody-cetera...]

    Oops, forgot the footnote. What follows is a minor edit. :-) [This is
    Usenet, not Wikipedia, you twit -- Ed]

    [1]It started life on the Speccy as a 3D (11x11x11, with double-size
    characters) crossword, but sadly(?) the Speccy scene came to an end
    [That's what *you* thought -- Ed] before I could get it working, so
    some years later I revived it on MS-DOS (remember that?) as a 4D
    (11x11x11x11) version. Not surprisingly, I made even less progress
    with that.

  3. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    "Robert Baker" napísal v správe
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:14:27 +0100, Robert Baker
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Gate
    >>
    >>This article (especially the Plot) is mainly ripped from the
    >>instructions I wrote 14 years ago for a game I never got around to
    >>writing.[1] [et-bloody-cetera...]

    > Oops, forgot the footnote. What follows is a minor edit. :-) [This is
    > Usenet, not Wikipedia, you twit -- Ed]
    >
    > [1]It started life on the Speccy as a 3D (11x11x11, with double-size
    > characters) crossword, but sadly(?) the Speccy scene came to an end
    > [That's what *you* thought -- Ed] before I could get it working, so
    > some years later I revived it on MS-DOS (remember that?) as a 4D
    > (11x11x11x11) version. Not surprisingly, I made even less progress
    > with that.

    Known geometrical dimensions are 3, the time could be fourth, but not
    geometrical. Although the astronomists and physicists say that space is
    curved into fourth geometrical dimension.

  4. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 00:10:43 +0200, Bohus Král wrote:

    >Known geometrical dimensions are 3, the time could be fourth, but not
    >geometrical.

    You haven't actually *read* the linked Wikipedia article, have you.

    There's *no* mathematical reason why there can't be any number of
    spatial dimensions you like; there could be aleph_0 of the buggers for
    all *we'll* ever know, as we can only perceive three at a time (pun
    NOT intended). Certainly there's no restriction (in most good
    computer languages I've come across, or COBOL either) on the number of
    dimensions an array can have. (OK; in practice there's *some* limit,
    such as 255 or 65535, but it's usually a number so large that no sane
    hacker will come anywhere near it.)
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  5. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > Known geometrical dimensions are 3, the time could be fourth, but not
    > geometrical. Although the astronomists and physicists say that space
    > is curved into fourth geometrical dimension.

    You can't see further than a star is burning...

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: hint: when a sun starts in 10bill ly away.... when do you see its
    first lights!!!!??

  6. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > Known geometrical dimensions are 3, the time could be fourth, but not
    > geometrical. Although the astronomists and physicists say that space is
    > curved into fourth geometrical dimension.

    there's a space shooter game for linux that handles the fourth dimension
    rather well.

    it's a sort of phase shift concept. two ships can occupy the same 3d
    space but in different phases, and you have to change your phase to
    match another ship's to be able to see, and shoot it

  7. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    "Daniel Mandic" napísal

    > P.S.: hint: when a sun starts in 10bill ly away.... when do you see its
    > first lights!!!!??

    Yes, but that doesn't mean that time is fourth geometrical dimension. Nobody
    knows why lightspeed is maximal possible speed. Einstein's theory is in
    contradiction with microcosmos, so it probably isn't final revolution in
    physics.

  8. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 00:10:43 +0200, Bohus Král wrote:
    >
    >>Known geometrical dimensions are 3, the time could be fourth, but not
    >>geometrical.

    > You haven't actually *read* the linked Wikipedia article, have you.

    I was refering to this :

    Time-Gate (also known as Timegate, 4D Time-Gate or 4D Defender) is an early
    ZX Spectrum game from Quicksilva. Although based on the common misconception
    that time is the fourth dimension (in fact, physicists regard time as a
    fourth dimension[citation needed]; mathematicians regard "dimension" as
    referring to space only[citation needed]), it was unusual (particularly when
    compared with the flood of me-too games which followed it) in that it
    treated time as a dimension, in which one could travel (albeit backwards
    only).

  9. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > "Daniel Mandic" napísal
    >
    > > P.S.: hint: when a sun starts in 10bill ly away.... when do you see
    > > its first lights!!!!??

    > Yes, but that doesn't mean that time is fourth geometrical dimension.

    Yes you are right.
    Movement of electromagnetically baken Energy, called Mass, is time.

    The time story is more for manager and bosses, who know to play with it.
    I am pretty sure our '1y move around the sun' isn't a reference to
    other in space.
    Some ppl might not even see a full turn of Jupiter. ~80y = 1 Jupiter
    Year

    > Nobody knows why lightspeed is maximal possible speed. Einstein's
    > theory is in contradiction with microcosmos, so it probably isn't
    > final revolution in physics.

    Maybe we can't receipt any more than light. I think our sensual organs
    are quiet good on earth, as they evolved due to the sun (light),
    atmosphere (ears), etc etc.

    If you think deeply you will not find a better Universe than we have
    now. It can just be as it is.... any thought by me (even if I would
    know it better, let's say.... ;-)) is out of It!

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  10. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    Was this not a Hollis production on the Speccy? I enjoyed that game when I
    could see.

    You could make yourself dizzier on it than with Ellite I seem to recall.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Robert Baker" wrote in message
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Gate
    >
    > This article (especially the Plot) is mainly ripped from the
    > instructions I wrote 14 years ago for a game I never got around to
    > writing.[1] I've cleaned it up as much as I can, trying to make it
    > encyclopaedic by removing the humour and POV (e.g. the bit about /Knot
    > in 3D/ originally said "I would regard it as 4D"; I changed that to
    > "mathematicians would regard it"), but I'm sure there's crap I left in
    > which ought to have been removed, and other crap I should have
    > inserted but didn't (a few more wikilinks?). So, anyone who'd care to
    > look at it is welcome, and you don't have to be registered to *edit*
    > pages, only to *create* them (and suchlike).

  11. Re: Time-Gate: editors wanted

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > Was this not a Hollis production on the Speccy? I enjoyed that game when I
    > could see.
    >
    > You could make yourself dizzier on it than with Ellite I seem to recall.

    I don't recall any sensations of dizziness..
    All it was was the old starfield effect (dots moving out from the screen)
    and a little ship that moved in and out of perspective a bit whilst moving
    around and shooting at you...

    When you shot a few of them you'd get a timegate to another era.
    Elite was much more 3D than 4D timegate.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |