    ....never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    the only one, shirley?

  2. Re: How many of us....

    On 2008-06-29, fuzzix wrote:

    > Lister wrote:
    >> ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    >> the only one, shirley?

    > I don't believe deKay's ever owned a Speccy...
    >
    > ...but like a good 6 billion other people, he wishes he did.

    Sam Gillet's never owned one, but I think one beat him up as a child!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  3. Re: How many of us....

    On Jun 29, 9:23 pm, Lister wrote:
    > ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    > the only one, shirley?

    Despite rumours to the contrary, you can count me on that list. What's
    your excuse anyway? They're too bloody pricey is mine!

  4. Re: How many of us....

    "fuzzix" napísal v správe
    > Lister wrote:
    >> ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be the
    >> only one, shirley?

    > I don't believe deKay's ever owned a Speccy...
    >
    > ...but like a good 6 billion other people, he wishes he did.

    Yeas, Eskimos and natives of Afrika would appreciate to own a Spectrum, at
    least one for a tribe, it would strogly help to their economical and
    cultural growth.

  5. Re: How many of us....

    Lister wrote:
    > ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    > the only one, shirley?

    I never owned one when everyone else did and I certainly wished I did
    have one back then.

    I've seen other speccy related discussions on the Internet where the
    assumption is that we all had speccies back in the day - certainly this
    is not always the case.

    Back in the '80s I spent quite a bit of time playing speccy games at
    friend's houses though. Of course they weren't to happy for me to sit
    there and code on their various spectrums although I wanted to. Alas it
    was gaming only for me then.

    All I had to my name at the time was a ZX81, a VIC-20 and an Acorn Electron.

    Finally I got a second hand Spectrum+ and a +2 in the early '90s, but
    that was after most other people had moved onto 16-bit platforms or
    better (and before emulation took off in a really big way.)

    I finally got my first taste of coding on the speccy funnily enough by
    messing around with the monitor/debugger in Christian Gandler's amazing
    "ZX Spectrum" emulator for the Atari ST. I started by modifying games to
    make them run faster. Also, I'd patch games that used BCD by getting
    around the lack of "H" flag emulation in that emulator.

    So, that ST emulation platform was the one I started to learn the very
    basics of the Z80 CPU on.

    Nowadays of course we are practically knee-deep in top notch speccy
    development tools and emulators.

    But my route to amatuer speccy "dabbling" was at least unconventional.

  6. Re: How many of us....

    DanSolo wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 9:23 pm, Lister wrote:
    >> ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    >> the only one, shirley?

    > Despite rumours to the contrary, you can count me on that list. What's
    > your excuse anyway? They're too bloody pricey is mine!

    pricey? my +3 was 50p

    "that's 50p too much" will no doubt be your reply...

    well my spectrum plus was free.

  7. Re: How many of us....

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > I never owned one when everyone else did and I certainly wished I did
    > have one back then.
    >
    > I've seen other speccy related discussions on the Internet where the
    > assumption is that we all had speccies back in the day - certainly this
    > is not always the case.

    neither did I
    I wasn't even *alive* back in the day!

  8. Re: How many of us....

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > I never owned one when everyone else did and I certainly wished I did
    > have one back then.
    >
    > I've seen other speccy related discussions on the Internet where the
    > assumption is that we all had speccies back in the day - certainly this
    > is not always the case.

    neither did I
    in fact I wasn't even *alive* back in the day, let alone owning computers!

  9. Re: How many of us....

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:42:56 +0100, Guesser
    wrote:

    >Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>
    >> I never owned one when everyone else did and I certainly wished I did
    >> have one back then.
    >>
    >> I've seen other speccy related discussions on the Internet where the
    >> assumption is that we all had speccies back in the day - certainly this
    >> is not always the case.
    >>

    >neither did I
    >in fact I wasn't even *alive* back in the day, let alone owning computers!

    Run away! It's the undead Specchum! :-)
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  10. Re: How many of us....

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 29 Jun
    2008 22:01:16 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk fuzzix fornis do marikano es bono tan
    el:

    >Lister wrote:
    >> ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    >> the only one, shirley?

    >I don't believe deKay's ever owned a Speccy...

    Eh? I have about 8 of them. Got my first in 1984.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  11. Re: How many of us....

    wrote:

    >Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>
    >> I never owned one when everyone else did and I certainly wished I did
    >> have one back then.
    >>
    >> I've seen other speccy related discussions on the Internet where the
    >> assumption is that we all had speccies back in the day - certainly this
    >> is not always the case.
    >>

    >neither did I
    >in fact I wasn't even *alive* back in the day, let alone owning computers!

    Ah, another one

  12. Re: How many of us....

    On Jun 29, 11:38 pm, Guesser wrote:
    > well my spectrum plus was free.

    OK, so I'll just wait for someone to give me one. That should work.

  13. Re: How many of us....

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...

    > On 2008-06-29, fuzzix wrote:
    >
    >> Lister wrote:
    >>> ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    >>> the only one, shirley?

    >> I don't believe deKay's ever owned a Speccy...
    >>
    >> ...but like a good 6 billion other people, he wishes he did.

    > Sam Gillet's never owned one, but I think one beat him up as a child!

    Just because you were beaten severely about the head and shoulders by a
    TRS-80 when you were unable to defend yourself does not mean that everyone
    has been mugged by a computer.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you don't pay your exorcist,
    will you become repossessed?

  14. Re: How many of us....

    "Lister" wrote ...

    > ...never actually owned a speccy, but wish we had done? I can't be
    > the only one, shirley?

    I am not Shirley!

    However, I never had a real Spectrum.

    I did have a Timex/Sinclair TS/1000 at one time. Complete with RAM pack and
    thermal dot matrix printer that used rolls of thermal paper. I remember
    printing out long program listings and then rolling up the printout (several
    feet long [a couple of meters]) to store it away neatly.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Why is the third hand on a watch
    called the second hand?

  15. Re: How many of us....

    On 2008-07-01, Sam Gillett wrote:

    > "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...
    >
    >> Sam Gillet's never owned one, but I think one beat him up as a child!

    > Just because you were beaten severely about the head and shoulders by a
    > TRS-80 when you were unable to defend yourself does not mean that everyone
    > has been mugged by a computer.

    I thought you'd been attacked by a speccy because I can smell rubber
    when I read your posts..

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  16. Re: How many of us....

    My first Spectrum was a Spectrum+. It would have been nice to have one
    of the original dead-flesh models. I'm looking forward to a production
    version of the Harlequin SE though, since the prototype ZX Spectrum SE
    is no longer functional. I'm hoping to have my ZX Spectrum SE CRPG
    finished in time for the launch, whenever that may be.

  17. Re: How many of us....

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:36:53 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC DanSolo:

    > I'll just wait for someone to give me one.

    You might be waiting a lon... (he was talking about a Spectrum - Ed)

    Oh, move along, nothing to see here.

    FWIW my current Speccy was a freebie.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  18. Re: How many of us....

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > > Just because you were beaten severely about the head and shoulders
    > > by a TRS-80 when you were unable to defend yourself does not mean
    > > that everyone has been mugged by a computer.

    > I thought you'd been attacked by a speccy because I can smell rubber
    > when I read your posts..

    eeeeek!

    ;-)

    --

  19. Re: How many of us....

    OwenBot wrote:

    > My first Spectrum was a Spectrum+. It would have been nice to have one
    > of the original dead-flesh models. I'm looking forward to a production
    > version of the Harlequin SE though, since the prototype ZX Spectrum SE
    > is no longer functional. I'm hoping to have my ZX Spectrum SE CRPG
    > finished in time for the launch, whenever that may be.

    Gillett....., my dear.... I have not the slightest idea what he tries
    to show, kkkrrrreeeeeeac... brake

    however. Good Game doesn't need so much (e.g. ATARI 400 and M.U.L.E.,
    16KB MC, sorry..). I would even vote for the blank 48K Spectrum...
    2xYM2169.)

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  20. Re: How many of us....

    deKay wrote:
    > Eh? I have about 8 of them. Got my first in 1984.

    Yeah, I was wagging my bottom at you. HA!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast