Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm. - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm. - Sinclair ; Since I've previewed this at no fewer than three geek gatherings in the last few months, I think it's about time I set this loose on its proper target audience. What began as an idle experiment in Comet (a technique ...

  1. Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    Since I've previewed this at no fewer than three geek gatherings in the
    last few months, I think it's about time I set this loose on its proper
    target audience. What began as an idle experiment in Comet (a technique
    for actively pushing data from webservers to clients, as used by Google
    Docs for its collaboration features and by Every Social Networking Site
    In The World for online chat) has kind of spiralled out of control to
    become...

    Online multiplayer Chaos. In Javascript. With instant player feedback.

    http://chaos.zxdemo.org/

    Please note that it's very experimental and unfinished right now, and is
    likely to break the moment anyone looks at it. The only spells currently
    implemented are creatures, disbelieve and lightning / magic bolt,
    there's no proper combat system (everything has a 50% chance of killing
    anything else), or ranged combat, or undead / flying / mountable
    creatures, and I'm not entirely sure what will happen if you kill a
    wizard. (I suspect it'll stumble along for one more turn and then die
    when it realises there's nowhere for the dead player to cast spells
    from). But apart from that, it's totally fine...

    In case you're wondering, the 'Is public' checkbox on the homepage just
    determines whether your game should be listed there. Anyone can still
    watch and join the game by going to the right URL, so it's all a bit of
    a free-for-all (unless the game operator decides to kick people out).
    Proper user access control / logins / invitations might come later.

    Enjoy, and don't be too put out if it dies instantly and doesn't get
    fixed until Monday (because I'm away this weekend)...

  2. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    huh?
    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Matthew Westcott" wrote in message
    > Since I've previewed this at no fewer than three geek gatherings in the
    > last few months, I think it's about time I set this loose on its proper
    > target audience. What began as an idle experiment in Comet (a technique
    > for actively pushing data from webservers to clients, as used by Google
    > Docs for its collaboration features and by Every Social Networking Site In
    > The World for online chat) has kind of spiralled out of control to
    > become...
    >
    > Online multiplayer Chaos. In Javascript. With instant player feedback.
    >
    > http://chaos.zxdemo.org/
    >

    > Please note that it's very experimental and unfinished right now, and is
    > likely to break the moment anyone looks at it. The only spells currently
    > implemented are creatures, disbelieve and lightning / magic bolt, there's
    > no proper combat system (everything has a 50% chance of killing anything
    > else), or ranged combat, or undead / flying / mountable creatures, and I'm
    > not entirely sure what will happen if you kill a wizard. (I suspect it'll
    > stumble along for one more turn and then die when it realises there's
    > nowhere for the dead player to cast spells from). But apart from that,
    > it's totally fine...
    >
    > In case you're wondering, the 'Is public' checkbox on the homepage just
    > determines whether your game should be listed there. Anyone can still
    > watch and join the game by going to the right URL, so it's all a bit of a
    > free-for-all (unless the game operator decides to kick people out). Proper
    > user access control / logins / invitations might come later.
    >
    > Enjoy, and don't be too put out if it dies instantly and doesn't get fixed
    > until Monday (because I'm away this weekend)...

  3. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:47:19 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
    wrote:

    >huh?

    Obviously a troll -- top-posting, *and* quoting a message of several
    lines just to add a one-word reply.

  4. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    "Robert Baker" napísal v správe
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:47:19 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>huh?

    > Obviously a troll -- top-posting, *and* quoting a message of several
    > lines just to add a one-word reply.

    hmmm......interesting joke.

  5. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    Well, I don't know what that other message was supposed to be really. Maybe
    I've led a sheltered life...

    "Robert Baker" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:47:19 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>huh?

    > Obviously a troll -- top-posting, *and* quoting a message of several
    > lines just to add a one-word reply.

  6. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    (deliberately top-posting as replying to Brian)

    The original post in this thread was about an online version of the
    classic Speccy game Chaos, in JavaScript.

    And although all of us regulars know what a tremendous asset to the
    Speccy scene you've been, even handling UK registrations of Gerton
    Lunter's Z80 for many years, your first reply to this thread looked
    *so* much like a troll that I couldn't resist making a joke reply in
    kind! :-) I'm glad you seem to have taken it well...

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:53:33 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
    wrote:

    >Well, I don't know what that other message was supposed to be really. Maybe
    >I've led a sheltered life...

  7. Re: Online Javascript Chaos. Mmm.

    "Brian Gaff" wrote:

    > Well, I don't know what that other message was supposed to be really.

    It's that game "Chaos: The Battle of Wizards", recreated in such a way that
    you can play against other humans through your Web browser.

    Eq.

+ Reply to Thread