Chris Young - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Chris Young - Sinclair ; is the top poster (but not a top poster) to CSS with almost 6,000 posts. Wow!...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. Chris Young

    is the top poster (but not a top poster) to CSS with almost 6,000
    posts. Wow!

  2. Re: Chris Young

    Hah! I can be a top poster as well!

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:59:13 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > is the top poster (but not a top poster) to CSS with almost 6,000
    > posts. Wow!

    I'm sure this can't be correct. If it is, I really should get out
    more.

    Mind you, that's only like 600 a year or something. Less than two a
    day.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  3. Re: Chris Young

    On Jun 21, 9:25*pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:
    > Hah! *I can be a top poster as well!
    >
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:59:13 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC OwenBot:
    >
    > > is the top poster (but not a top poster) to CSS with almost 6,000
    > > posts. Wow!

    > I'm sure this can't be correct. *If it is, I really should get out
    > more.

    It's there in the Google groups statistics. I'm not sure how reliable
    they are and I doubt they take account of people changing email
    addresses but...

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/about

  4. Re: Chris Young

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:05:06 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > It's there in the Google groups statistics. I'm not sure how reliable
    > they are and I doubt they take account of people changing email
    > addresses but...
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/about

    If you click on my name you'll see it is counting posts under my old
    email address... so I've actually written more than that.

    I therefore declare Spike the top poster, being listed twice in the
    top ten, with 5213 and 3251 posts, making a grand total of 8464.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: Chris Young

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:05:06 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC OwenBot:
    >
    >> It's there in the Google groups statistics. I'm not sure how reliable
    >> they are and I doubt they take account of people changing email
    >> addresses but...
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/about

    > If you click on my name you'll see it is counting posts under my old
    > email address... so I've actually written more than that.
    >
    > I therefore declare Spike the top poster, being listed twice in the
    > top ten, with 5213 and 3251 posts, making a grand total of 8464.

    Is that including the u5a77 e-mail address from when I was at uni?
    | in |good to you so far... |

  6. Re: Chris Young

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:58:04 +0100, Andrew Halliwell
    wrote:

    >Chris Young wrote:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:05:06 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    >> to MC OwenBot:
    >>
    >>> It's there in the Google groups statistics. I'm not sure how reliable
    >>> they are and I doubt they take account of people changing email
    >>> addresses but...
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/about

    >> If you click on my name you'll see it is counting posts under my old
    >> email address... so I've actually written more than that.
    >>
    >> I therefore declare Spike the top poster, being listed twice in the
    >> top ten, with 5213 and 3251 posts, making a grand total of 8464.

    >Is that including the u5a77 e-mail address from when I was at uni?

    What *I* would like to know is, why there was one single solitary post
    in November 1992 (about a broken Z88) and then nothing until December
    1993! Also, what on earth happened in February 2001 to make the
    group hit its peak of 5460 posts (we don't see that many in a year
    nowadays); was there an explosion in a crisp factory or summat?

    Still, in other news Google Groups (today's) shows two more Finlander
    morons spouting more bollocks along the lines of "vanyar ätëääkälää
    Homer Simpson ätëääkälää, bork bork bork" in an effort to get their
    own groups flooded with crap, but those posts don't show on Usenet
    proper (at least not AIOE). Hooray! :-)

  7. Re: Chris Young

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > What *I* would like to know is, why there was one single solitary post
    > in November 1992 (about a broken Z88)

    well, I didn't make my first post until 1995.
    Far fewer people had internet/usenet access back then
    Was 1992 when css was founded (or ported from the mailing list rather)?

    > and then nothing until December
    > 1993!

    Shirley shome mishtake
    maybe it's just gaps in the dejanews archive going that far back.
    When was deja formed? Did they start from scratch or did they use some
    previous archive as a starting point (like google did when they bought
    deja)?

    > Still, in other news Google Groups (today's) shows two more Finlander
    > morons spouting more bollocks along the lines of "vanyar ätëääkälää
    > Homer Simpson ätëääkälää, bork bork bork" in an effort to get their
    > own groups flooded with crap, but those posts don't show on Usenet
    > proper (at least not AIOE). Hooray! :-)

    Alas, I saw them on individual.net.
    Spam filtration isn't an exact science.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  8. Re: Chris Young

    Oops, forgot to mention:

    Earliest post by a name I recognise: Dec 14 1993, by Marat Fayzullin,
    in "ZX Spectrum: Emulators" (Arnt Gulbrandsen posted to that thread as
    well; where are they, and Gerton Lunter et al, now?)

    First strange thread: "This group comes 10 years too late!", Dec 14
    1993, by the aptly named Pollux1 (no content either, just some pollux
    (sorry) about contacting him through the Penet anon remailer)

    First mention of the FAQ: Dec 15 1993

    Crustiest present-day regular: Nick Humphries (first post Jan 10
    1994, appropriately starting a thread called "Where are they now?")

    And in the early days, there were numerous "unsubscribe" requests
    posted to the group.

  9. Re: Chris Young

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > And in the early days, there were numerous "unsubscribe" requests
    > posted to the group.

    That'll be from the mailing list from which CSS spawned.
    Did it at one time share both formats? Mailing list AND newsgroup via a
    mail2news gateway before finally settling into the pure usenet
    utterlybutterly goodness we have today?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  10. Re: Chris Young

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:58:04 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Andrew Halliwell:

    > > I therefore declare Spike the top poster, being listed twice in the
    > > top ten, with 5213 and 3251 posts, making a grand total of 8464.

    > Is that including the u5a77 e-mail address from when I was at uni?

    Nope, it also doesn't include the one you're using now.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  11. Re: Chris Young

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:58:04 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Andrew Halliwell:
    >
    >> > I therefore declare Spike the top poster, being listed twice in the
    >> > top ten, with 5213 and 3251 posts, making a grand total of 8464.

    >> Is that including the u5a77 e-mail address from when I was at uni?

    > Nope, it also doesn't include the one you're using now.

    4 years worth of posts under u5a77 to count

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Chris Young

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:46:09 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Robert Baker:

    > Also, what on earth happened in February 2001 to make the
    > group hit its peak of 5460 posts (we don't see that many in a year
    > nowadays); was there an explosion in a crisp factory or summat?

    Could that be the near-legendary "The C64 is crap"? Although IIRC
    that was a couple of years before then.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  13. Re: Chris Young

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:46:09 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Robert Baker:
    >
    >> Also, what on earth happened in February 2001 to make the
    >> group hit its peak of 5460 posts (we don't see that many in a year
    >> nowadays); was there an explosion in a crisp factory or summat?

    > Could that be the near-legendary "The C64 is crap"? Although IIRC
    > that was a couple of years before then.

    Thread of evil perhaps?
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  14. Re: Chris Young

    OwenBot schrieb:
    > is the top poster (but not a top poster) to CSS with almost 6,000
    > posts. Wow!

    Chris Young? Is this that guy who played in Max Headroom as Bryce Lynch?
    http://www.maxheadroom.com/mh_cast_young.html
    :lol:

    LCD

  15. Re: Chris Young

    I wonder if the Andrew Owen tribute thread was longer than the thread
    of evil. I should go back and check but I can't be bothered.

  16. Re: Chris Young

    OwenBot wrote:
    > I wonder if the Andrew Owen tribute thread was longer than the thread
    > of evil. I should go back and check but I can't be bothered.

    Don't think it was... Though yeah, it was a long one...
    Remember, the thread of evil fed on itself and the stats I posted which
    egged everyone on to post more.

    Like this...

    User Number of Posts
    Andrew Halliwell 22
    korax1214@gmail.com 20
    fuzzix 12
    Boriel 11
    "Chris Young" 10
    Lister 10
    "Slower Than You" 10
    OwenBot 10
    LCD 9
    Scribbler 8
    Matthew Westcott 7
    dickydodds 7
    "Brian Gaff" 7
    Ian Rawlings 6
    DanSolo 6
    Digital Prawn 6
    "Brian Gaff" 6
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bohus_Kr=E1l?= 5
    deKay 5
    Guesser 5
    Lee Prince 5
    zxbruno 5
    Chris F 5
    deKay "Sam Gillett" 4
    Adam 3
    "Llama-Wax Len" 3
    Hanno Foest 3
    Dylan Smith 3
    "GzavSnap" "fsh" 3
    other 3
    "Graham Prout" 3
    faqjunk@the-den.clara.net 2
    Robert Baker 2
    Gunther Gloop 2
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bohus_Kr=E1l?= 2
    Pepijn Schmitz 2
    Paul Murray 2
    "Paul E Collins" 2
    Duncan Snowden 2
    Woodster 2
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bohus_Kr=E1l?= 2
    "Colin Wood****" 2
    Johnny B Good 2
    sparkes 1
    Gavin 1
    jgharston 1
    Pasi Blomberg 1
    "dott.Piergiorgio" =?iso-8859-2?Q?Bohus_Kr=E1l?= 1
    "Martin M. S. Pedersen" 1
    gus 1
    Joakim M?kinen 1
    "Petomante" 1
    dave@webshed.org (Dave The Lurker) 1
    Steve Jackson 1
    "andy" 1
    ReverbNation 1
    zx128k 1
    Marko Oksanen 1
    frink@homer.cmp.liv.ac.uk (Doctor J. Frink) 1
    "Shak" 1
    Janne S?derholm 1
    philicorda Calum 1
    "Cameraman" 1
    Andrew Broad 1
    Vili Heino 1
    Simon 1

    | in |good to you so far... |

  17. Re: Chris Young

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:42:28 +0100, Andrew Halliwell
    wrote:

    [snip]
    > korax1214@gmail.com 20

    [snip]
    > Robert Baker 2

    [another snip, that helped destroy...]

    Hmmm... and perhaps it's a good thing that I no longer use
    or the original of that ID,
    (although I still could, on Google, unless
    Google have dumped those accounts for inactivity) as this would
    confuse things still further. To say nothing of
    [so don't -- Ed]...

  18. Re: Chris Young

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:42:28 +0100, Andrew Halliwell
    > wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> korax1214@gmail.com 20

    > [snip]
    >> Robert Baker 2

    > [another snip, that helped destroy...]
    >
    > Hmmm... and perhaps it's a good thing that I no longer use
    > or the original of that ID,
    > (although I still could, on Google, unless
    > Google have dumped those accounts for inactivity) as this would
    > confuse things still further. To say nothing of
    > [so don't -- Ed]...

    Nah, my stats script only reads the leafnode feed I have here, so it only
    goes back a couple of weeks.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  19. Re: Chris Young

    Robert Baker schrieb:

    > What *I* would like to know is, why there was one single solitary post
    > in November 1992 (about a broken Z88) and then nothing until December
    > 1993!

    Because the group was founded 7 Dec 1993 (that's the date of the voting
    result being posted)? I guess the earlier posting had an incorrect date.

    BTw, how many of the founding members (those voting in the CfV) are
    still here? I'm one...

    Hanno

  20. Re: Chris Young

    Hanno Foest wrote:
    > BTw, how many of the founding members (those voting in the CfV) are
    > still here? I'm one...

    You are?
    Have you posted under a different nick in the past cos I've been here 12??
    years and don't remember you.

    Have you sampled the delights of the dedicated CSS irc channel?
    server: irc.astrolink.org
    channel: #speccy
    key... the first location of spectrum memory dedicated to screen realestate.
    so /server irc.astrolink.org
    /join #speccy

    (the key's to keep the idiots in)

    | in |good to you so far... |