[OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com? - Sinclair ; I'm posting here because this is probably where this addy (a spam-sink which I don't use for real email, except where I suspect the address might be passed on without my permission) is most visible. Hence whoever thought (to use ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    I'm posting here because this is probably where this addy (a spam-sink
    which I don't use for real email, except where I suspect the address
    might be passed on without my permission) is most visible. Hence
    whoever thought (to use the word *very* loosely) it would be a good
    idea to subscribe me to the mailing list of a band (PSYCORE rec.)
    which I've never heard of, probably got it from here.

    Anyone else receive anything from them?

    What I find most alarming is that those idiots include in their
    "confirmation" mail the following paragraph:

    choose at
    any time, should you change your mind.
    "report abuse")

    This of course makes the first option redundant, since clicking that
    link is equivalent to doing nothing. More worryingly, however, it
    means that this is not a confirmed-opt-in list as it should be, hence
    is a spam list as that's the only other type (I can't "remain opted-
    in" since I didn't opt-in in the first place).

  2. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    I've seen a number of these with different names. No idea what is the
    reason. ? They usually say you were using one of their affiliated websites.

    I now keep a check which email addresses I use where. It can be interesting
    to see who tells who what.

    However, unsubbing could just be a way to confirm you exist so they can
    validate a spam list.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    wrote in message
    > I'm posting here because this is probably where this addy (a spam-sink
    > which I don't use for real email, except where I suspect the address
    > might be passed on without my permission) is most visible. Hence
    > whoever thought (to use the word *very* loosely) it would be a good
    > idea to subscribe me to the mailing list of a band (PSYCORE rec.)
    > which I've never heard of, probably got it from here.
    >
    > Anyone else receive anything from them?
    >
    > What I find most alarming is that those idiots include in their
    > "confirmation" mail the following paragraph:

    > choose at
    > any time, should you change your mind.
    > "report abuse")
    >
    > This of course makes the first option redundant, since clicking that
    > link is equivalent to doing nothing. More worryingly, however, it
    > means that this is not a confirmed-opt-in list as it should be, hence
    > is a spam list as that's the only other type (I can't "remain opted-
    > in" since I didn't opt-in in the first place).

  3. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote in news:cd24f44f-b6d9-4147-a08d-a53e55c1b731
    @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm posting here because this is probably where this addy (a spam-sink
    > which I don't use for real email, except where I suspect the address
    > might be passed on without my permission) is most visible. Hence
    > whoever thought (to use the word *very* loosely) it would be a good
    > idea to subscribe me to the mailing list of a band (PSYCORE rec.)
    > which I've never heard of, probably got it from here.

    Seems to be one of those fake email list things that have been floating
    around for years. They want you to verify your address so they know there's
    a real person at the end of it. Sort of a double-bluff. You think you
    unsubscribe, but really, you're just adding the email address to a list of
    real addresses which they know people read. After all, only a human would
    attempt to unsubscribe themselves.

    Anyway, if it's a spam-sink address, I wouldn't be too hyped up about it.

    There's no better feeling than purging a mailbox of 40,000 spam emails,
    then watching as the server temporarily slows to a crawl for a few seconds.

    --
    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  4. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    "Brian Gaff" wrote in
    news:lfT5k.11143$E41.4639@text.news.virginmedia.co m:

    > I've seen a number of these with different names. No idea what is the
    > reason. ? They usually say you were using one of their affiliated
    > websites.
    >
    > I now keep a check which email addresses I use where. It can be
    > interesting to see who tells who what.

    Good point you make, Brian. a nice little feature of Gmail (which the
    original poster uses) is the plus symbol. You can add this to your email
    address so you know where replies come from. For instance, you can have the
    email addresses...

    scribbler+css@gmai...
    scribbler+speccyng@gm...
    scribbler+pr0n@gma...

    All are equally valid, and makes things a hell of a lot easier to filter.
    Obviously, it won't be long until the spammers pick up on it, and begin to
    remove everything between the + and the @, but at least that way, you know
    the email is more than likely spam anyway.

    --
    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  5. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    Scribbler wrote:
    > Seems to be one of those fake email list things that have been floating
    > around for years. They want you to verify your address so they know there's
    > a real person at the end of it. Sort of a double-bluff. You think you
    > unsubscribe, but really, you're just adding the email address to a list of
    > real addresses which they know people read. After all, only a human would
    > attempt to unsubscribe themselves.
    >
    > Anyway, if it's a spam-sink address, I wouldn't be too hyped up about it.
    >
    > There's no better feeling than purging a mailbox of 40,000 spam emails,
    > then watching as the server temporarily slows to a crawl for a few seconds.

    Scriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiib!
    Getcher arse in #speccy you.....
    you....
    YOU you...

    How DARE you miss my burfday?!!! Git.

  6. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote in

    > Scriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiib!
    > Getcher arse in #speccy you.....
    > you....
    > YOU you...
    >
    > How DARE you miss my burfday?!!! Git.

    Bloody hell, is it that time of the year already? That would explain the
    Great Birthday Cake Candle Shortage Of 2008, then....

    --
    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  7. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:57:19 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Scribbler:

    > > I now keep a check which email addresses I use where. It can be
    > > interesting to see who tells who what.

    > Good point you make, Brian. a nice little feature of Gmail (which the
    > original poster uses) is the plus symbol. You can add this to your email
    > address so you know where replies come from. For instance, you can have the
    > email addresses...
    >
    > scribbler+css@gmai...
    > scribbler+speccyng@gm...
    > scribbler+pr0n@gma...
    >
    > All are equally valid, and makes things a hell of a lot easier to filter.
    > Obviously, it won't be long until the spammers pick up on it, and begin to
    > remove everything between the + and the @, but at least that way, you know
    > the email is more than likely spam anyway.

    My mail-filter.com address does the same thing, but with a dot (hence
    the ".usenet" part above). I don't tend to use feature much, it's
    easier to sign up to websites with the same address each time
    especially if email addy is used for login.

    Incidentally the mail-filter address goes through about four forwards
    and four or five spam filters (oh, and one on the mail client).

    Amazingly a piece of spam got through today, but with all the
    transposed letters, weird spacing and extraneous punctuation it was
    (a) obviously spam and (b) completely incomprehensible.

    I wonder who spammers are trying to market to when they are sending
    things you have to struggle to read. "Price is still at a great buy,
    move -fsat buy -agms p"riority Tuesday morni'ng", it says here.

    I didn't get past the first word of the subject line "Pred,ic.tions
    come true," without filing it as spam.

    Grr.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  8. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    Scribbler wrote:
    > Good point you make, Brian. a nice little feature of Gmail (which the
    > original poster uses) is the plus symbol. You can add this to your
    > email address so you know where replies come from. For instance, you
    > can have the email addresses...

    If I were a spammer I'd probably be aware of this - after all, it'd be
    my business. Trivial to filter this stuff out.

    That's just what I'd do, though...

  9. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    On Jun 17, 11:29 pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    > I wonder who spammers are trying to market to when they are sending
    > things you have to struggle to read.

    Lysdexics? Er, I mean those who suffer from dailysex -- erm, I
    mean... oh, never mind...

  10. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    So can you just adda plus in the middle of a word before the @ then? Bit
    too late for me unfortunately, if this works as I think most spammers know
    me by now.

    What I have been doing as you have probably seen is to ask those who really
    want to contact me use a specific display name or make it part of the
    display name. Sadly it seems aolers and some hotmailers seem incapabable of
    doing this and pay the price of either no reply or very late ones when I
    look through the list of spam.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Scribbler" wrote in message
    > "Brian Gaff" wrote in
    > news:lfT5k.11143$E41.4639@text.news.virginmedia.co m:
    >
    >> I've seen a number of these with different names. No idea what is the
    >> reason. ? They usually say you were using one of their affiliated
    >> websites.
    >>
    >> I now keep a check which email addresses I use where. It can be
    >> interesting to see who tells who what.

    > Good point you make, Brian. a nice little feature of Gmail (which the
    > original poster uses) is the plus symbol. You can add this to your email
    > address so you know where replies come from. For instance, you can have
    > the
    > email addresses...
    >
    > scribbler+css@gmai...
    > scribbler+speccyng@gm...
    > scribbler+pr0n@gma...
    >
    > All are equally valid, and makes things a hell of a lot easier to filter.
    > Obviously, it won't be long until the spammers pick up on it, and begin to
    > remove everything between the + and the @, but at least that way, you know
    > the email is more than likely spam anyway.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    > http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  11. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    I have to use OE due to the use of a screenreader and thus you are really
    stuck with the filter options they offer.

    "fuzzix" wrote in message
    > Scribbler wrote:
    >> Good point you make, Brian. a nice little feature of Gmail (which the
    >> original poster uses) is the plus symbol. You can add this to your
    >> email address so you know where replies come from. For instance, you
    >> can have the email addresses...

    > If I were a spammer I'd probably be aware of this - after all, it'd be
    > my business. Trivial to filter this stuff out.
    >
    > That's just what I'd do, though...

  12. Re: [OT] Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    Hmm, last Christmas I received spam trying to sell me Christmas novelties,
    one of them was scented candles.

    Sigh, This along with tiny helicopters, and ''adult' Christmas themed
    'toys'.

    "Scribbler" wrote in message
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote in
    >
    >> Scriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiib!
    >> Getcher arse in #speccy you.....
    >> you....
    >> YOU you...
    >>
    >> How DARE you miss my burfday?!!! Git.

    > Bloody hell, is it that time of the year already? That would explain the
    > Great Birthday Cake Candle Shortage Of 2008, then....
    >
    > --
    > http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    > http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  13. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:25:33 -0700 (PDT), korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    >On Jun 17, 11:29 pm, "Chris Young"
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder who spammers are trying to market to when they are sending
    >> things you have to struggle to read.

    >Lysdexics? Er, I mean those who suffer from dailysex -- erm, I
    >mean... oh, never mind...

    I don't suffer from it, I enjoy every minute of it

  14. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    ReverbNation didn't reply within 24 hours to my email urgently warning
    them that opt-out is the wrong way to run a mailing list, so I've
    reported their "confirmation request" as spam.

  15. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    korax1,

    First let me apologize to you for the message you received and for
    this off-topic post. However, let me try to describe who we are. We
    provide services for independent musicians to promote themselves,
    distribute their music, and generally make a career out of their music
    even if they aren't major record label acts.

    One of those services is a fan club management. We give artist the
    tools to import to collect email on the web but also need to address
    their need for importing the fan emails they collect at shows from
    people who signup on clipboards and the like. Imported lists can
    actually take as much as 96hrs to become available to the artists
    because we have processes that attempt to detect and prevent
    improperly gathered lists from ever being used by an unscrupulous
    user. Part of that process depends on users like yourself telling us
    they received an abusive email. This works surprising well and I
    would be happy to discuss more details individually.

    We really do try hard to prevent spam as our honest artists depend on
    high email deliverability rates. In this case, one slipped through.
    We have already suspended the email sending capabilities of this
    artist and hope that it won't spoil the pot for the majority of the
    artists who are honest.

    Regarding the opt-in link being redundant: The opt-in link provides
    the user the option of providing their location and we provide the
    artist the ability to send a targeted message based on geo-location.
    We are actually hoping this cuts down on spam or at least non-relevant
    email. Why should you hear about a show in San Fran when you live in
    Atlanta? It also helps the artist know where to tour.

    Here are some things we don't do. We don't email people who report
    abuse or unsubscribe. We don't email the addresses artists import
    except for the confirmation message. Even if they are valid users, we
    feel they belong to the artist, not us.

    I don't deny that there are bad guys out there. However, I hope that
    you will recognize that we aren't one of them.

    If you have any questions, please contact us at
    _comments_@_reverbnation_dot_com.

  16. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    ReverbNation wrote:

    [rubbish]

    What a bunch of clueless twats.
    --
    Slower Than You

  17. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    Slower Than You wrote:
    > ReverbNation wrote:
    >
    > [rubbish]
    >
    > What a bunch of clueless twats.

    I respect the guy for posting here himself. I'm sure he's leaving
    himself open to massive abuse.

    As for what's on offer, I have one comment; "even if they aren't major
    record label acts" is fairly condescending. Most of the musicians I
    listen to are actual musicians and have little interest in being mere
    employees of a major label.

    The rest of it I leave to you vultures to pick apart. This vulture has
    had his fill

  18. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    fuzzix wrote:

    > Slower Than You wrote:
    > > ReverbNation wrote:
    > >
    > > [rubbish]
    > >
    > > What a bunch of clueless twats.

    > I respect the guy for posting here himself. I'm sure he's leaving
    > himself open to massive abuse.

    Well yeah, it makes think he may genuinely believe they're doing no
    wrong hence my describing them merely as "clueless twats".

    Balls to that. They're getting no free clues from me. **** 'em.
    --
    Slower Than You

  19. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    On Jun 18, 9:40 pm, ReverbNation wrote:

    > Here are some things we don't do.

    And if (as was the case as of yesterday) one of the things you don't
    do is confirmed opt-in, and you instead require people to "opt-
    out" [sic] from lists that *they* never joined in the first place,
    then (as already explained, and for the reasons already given) you're
    spammers.

    Why don't you fix this problem, instead of posting pointless whining
    "justifications" to newsgroups whose members aren't interested? NANAE
    is that way -->>> (but posting there would probably get your "service"
    blacklisted at a shedload of email providers)...

    And I hope this is the last of this crap (with luck Google Mail have
    probably already blocked these people). Sorry about the OT people
    (although I think this one was justified)...

  20. Re: Anyone else receive crap from ReverbNation.com?

    On Jun 18, 9:40 pm, ReverbNation wrote:
    > First let me apologize to you for the message you received and for
    > this off-topic post. However, let me try to describe who we are. We
    > provide services for independent musicians to promote themselves,
    > distribute their music, and generally make a career out of their music
    > even if they aren't major record label acts.

    Hi ReverbNation,
    Can you give me a list of the bands you promote so I can stay the f**k
    away from them, tell all my mates they're a load of s**t and boycott
    any radio station that plays them?
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast