non-Torus Elite? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on non-Torus Elite? - Sinclair ; I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take up my Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse) and a copy of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection scheme, asking me for ...

  1. non-Torus Elite?

    I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take up
    my Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse) and a
    copy of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection scheme, asking
    me for a code based on some funky graphics on the screen, and the
    playing the game aeons ago on my actual 48K.

    Must I have had a cracked copy back then (I could have sworn I had a
    legitimate one, but it's too long ago to remember clearly), or are there
    different editions of this game, including one with no Torus logo and no
    copy protection?

    Cheers,
    Pepijn

  2. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    Pepijn Schmitz wrote:
    > I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take up
    > my Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse) and a
    > copy of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection scheme, asking
    > me for a code based on some funky graphics on the screen, and the
    > playing the game aeons ago on my actual 48K.
    >
    > Must I have had a cracked copy back then (I could have sworn I had a
    > legitimate one, but it's too long ago to remember clearly), or are there
    > different editions of this game, including one with no Torus logo and no
    > copy protection?

    Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    One of which was lenslocked.

    Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k version
    didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

  3. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    I think you're right. I assumed the 128K version wouldn't load on a 48K
    speccy, but it does and that's the version I remember.

    Cheers,
    Pepijn

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Pepijn Schmitz wrote:
    >> I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take up
    >> my Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse) and a
    >> copy of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection scheme, asking
    >> me for a code based on some funky graphics on the screen, and the
    >> playing the game aeons ago on my actual 48K.
    >>
    >> Must I have had a cracked copy back then (I could have sworn I had a
    >> legitimate one, but it's too long ago to remember clearly), or are there
    >> different editions of this game, including one with no Torus logo and no
    >> copy protection?

    > Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    > protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    > One of which was lenslocked.
    >
    > Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    > 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    > version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k version
    > didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

  4. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    On Jun 17, 1:27 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    > protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    > One of which was lenslocked.
    >
    > Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    > 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    > version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k version
    > didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

    You're forgetting, the 128K version didn't have the helpful bug
    whereby one can hyperspace directly to the space station of the target
    system, without all that tedious mucking about in normal space. :-)

  5. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    It did really load on Spectrum 48K too, no problem with this.

    LCD

    Pepijn Schmitz schrieb:
    > I think you're right. I assumed the 128K version wouldn't load on a 48K
    > speccy, but it does and that's the version I remember.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Pepijn
    >
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Pepijn Schmitz wrote:
    >>> I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take
    >>> up my Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse)
    >>> and a copy of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection
    >>> scheme, asking me for a code based on some funky graphics on the
    >>> screen, and the loading screen has a Torus logo which I don't
    >>> remember at all from playing the game aeons ago on my actual 48K.
    >>>
    >>> Must I have had a cracked copy back then (I could have sworn I had a
    >>> legitimate one, but it's too long ago to remember clearly), or are
    >>> there different editions of this game, including one with no Torus
    >>> logo and no copy protection?

    >> Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    >> protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    >> One of which was lenslocked.
    >>
    >> Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    >> 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    >> version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k
    >> version
    >> didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

  6. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    korax1214@gmail.com schrieb:
    > On Jun 17, 1:27 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    >> protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    >> One of which was lenslocked.
    >>
    >> Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    >> 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    >> version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k version
    >> didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

    > You're forgetting, the 128K version didn't have the helpful bug
    > whereby one can hyperspace directly to the space station of the target
    > system, without all that tedious mucking about in normal space. :-)

    And it had no bug with saving game after loading "Elite" gave you all
    the extra equipment and a gigantic cargo space of credits with other
    goodies. This is not a helpfull bug, but a (cheating) feature :lol:

    LCD

  7. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    Andrew Halliwell schreef:

    > Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    > protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    > One of which was lenslocked.
    >
    > Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    > 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    > version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k version
    > didn't work properly on the 128k machine)
    >
    > --
    > | spike1@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
    > | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    > | Andrew Halliwell BSc | operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
    > | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    > | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. |

    More info about Lenslok can be found here...

    http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk/sanct/s_lenslok.php

    There's even a Lenslok emulator for Windows by Simon Owen.
    Can be found at his homepage:

    http://simonowen.com/

  8. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    Its only lenslok, I seem to recall the hack around this was very simple as
    it was just grafted on the front.

    As for Taurus, I had it on mine.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Pepijn Schmitz" wrote in message
    > I'm confused. I just decided to indulge in some nostalgics and take up my
    > Spectrum emulating hobby again. I downloaded an emulator (fuse) and a copy
    > of Elite 48K, but it has some weird copy protection scheme, asking me for
    > a code based on some funky graphics on the screen, and the loading screen
    > has a Torus logo which I don't remember at all from playing the game aeons
    > ago on my actual 48K.
    >
    > Must I have had a cracked copy back then (I could have sworn I had a
    > legitimate one, but it's too long ago to remember clearly), or are there
    > different editions of this game, including one with no Torus logo and no
    > copy protection?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Pepijn

  9. Re: non-Torus Elite?

    But did it have the great bug where you could become elite at the start by
    going to the save and load section .

    Brian

    --
    wrote in message
    > On Jun 17, 1:27 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like lenslok. One of the more unreliable and irritating copy
    >> protections... yeah, I think there were 2 different versions of elite.
    >> One of which was lenslocked.
    >>
    >> Try downloading from WOS. The zip contains tzxs of both versions.
    >> 48k is lenslocked, 128k version isn't. (only real difference, the 128k
    >> version was just fixed to work with both, no additions cos, the 48k
    >> version
    >> didn't work properly on the 128k machine)

    > You're forgetting, the 128K version didn't have the helpful bug
    > whereby one can hyperspace directly to the space station of the target
    > system, without all that tedious mucking about in normal space. :-)

+ Reply to Thread