Challenge Research Sprint recorder - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Challenge Research Sprint recorder - Sinclair ; Hi there, I currently checking my Spectrum collection (And uploaded some MIA titles to WOS) and found there also three Challenge Research Sprint tape recorders which are able to load Spectrum games at 4 times the original speed (only standard ...

  1. Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Hi there,

    I currently checking my Spectrum collection (And uploaded some MIA
    titles to WOS) and found there also three Challenge Research Sprint tape
    recorders which are able to load Spectrum games at 4 times the original
    speed (only standard loader games, just like MB02), they are compatible
    with +D as there is a ROM Switch and a Thru-Port. The Original price was
    over 60 Pound if I remember it correctly.
    They are absolutly rare I suppose, right? What are they worth now, in Euro?

    Greetings

    LCD

  2. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    On Jun 15, 11:42 am, LCD wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I currently checking my Spectrum collection (And uploaded some MIA
    > titles to WOS) and found there also three Challenge Research Sprint tape
    > recorders which are able to load Spectrum games at 4 times the original
    > speed (only standard loader games, just like MB02), they are compatible
    > with +D as there is a ROM Switch and a Thru-Port. The Original price was
    > over 60 Pound if I remember it correctly.
    > They are absolutly rare I suppose, right? What are they worth now, in Euro?
    >
    > Greetings
    >
    > LCD

    1 Euro and a wet fish. Preferably carp.

    Simon

  3. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Simon schrieb:
    > On Jun 15, 11:42 am, LCD wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I currently checking my Spectrum collection (And uploaded some MIA
    >> titles to WOS) and found there also three Challenge Research Sprint tape
    >> recorders which are able to load Spectrum games at 4 times the original
    >> speed (only standard loader games, just like MB02), they are compatible
    >> with +D as there is a ROM Switch and a Thru-Port. The Original price was
    >> over 60 Pound if I remember it correctly.
    >> They are absolutly rare I suppose, right? What are they worth now, in Euro?
    >>
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> LCD

    > 1 Euro and a wet fish. Preferably carp.
    >
    > Simon

    Koi carp? That expensive!!!

  4. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Its one of those things really. Lots of things are worth a lot to the right
    person. I do remember trying one of these and finding it rather unreliable
    myself, but then the production quality of tapes was not exactly high
    either.

    Your best bet is to shove one up on Ebay and see what happens. After all,
    its not that rare, but by now it might well be.

    Lots of strange loading devices were made. The Clivedrive, the Wafer drive
    had quite a following, though I never liked the large amount of memory they
    grabbed.

    Then there were the many different disc drives.

    Almost everyone had one totally incompatible with all the others!

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "LCD" wrote in message
    news:1f6cd$4854f1c8$557f552b$12959@news.inode.at.. .
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I currently checking my Spectrum collection (And uploaded some MIA titles
    > to WOS) and found there also three Challenge Research Sprint tape
    > recorders which are able to load Spectrum games at 4 times the original
    > speed (only standard loader games, just like MB02), they are compatible
    > with +D as there is a ROM Switch and a Thru-Port. The Original price was
    > over 60 Pound if I remember it correctly.
    > They are absolutly rare I suppose, right? What are they worth now, in
    > Euro?
    >
    > Greetings
    >
    > LCD

  5. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Thx Brian,

    In fact, I never saw one on the eBay.
    Have now just sold two of these devices, the third one has a weak
    rewinding, so I keep it.
    I myself loved this device, almost all my games are cracked (by me self)
    and compressed, so the loading was very fast. I used it often to
    transfer games from tape to +D.
    The Clive Drive was a 3" device, but I remember there was also a strange
    2.5" disc device, which looks to be rarer than rare, but it is not
    possible to find media for it.
    I own also a Wafadrive. I remember at the end of YS era the adverts
    where these device was offered very cheap, I think fourteen pound or so.
    The only compatible devices I remember is the Disciple and +D (which was
    then also used in SAM Coupé).
    The problem was, Sinclair has not produced a disc system, so there could
    be no standart etablished, on the other side, Commodore released a
    Floppy system and it became standard. The Sinclair floppy-like system,
    Microdrive, was used later in QL. It had a large amount of memory, fast
    Just imagine, Sinclair would produce a Spectrum 64 with internal +D disc
    system based on +D. There would be no incompatible storage systems.

    LCD

    Brian Gaff schrieb:
    > Its one of those things really. Lots of things are worth a lot to the right
    > person. I do remember trying one of these and finding it rather unreliable
    > myself, but then the production quality of tapes was not exactly high
    > either.
    >
    > Your best bet is to shove one up on Ebay and see what happens. After all,
    > its not that rare, but by now it might well be.
    >
    > Lots of strange loading devices were made. The Clivedrive, the Wafer drive
    > had quite a following, though I never liked the large amount of memory they
    > grabbed.
    >
    > Then there were the many different disc drives.
    >
    > Almost everyone had one totally incompatible with all the others!
    >
    > Brian

  6. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:22 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC LCD:

    > The problem was, Sinclair has not produced a disc system, so there could
    > be no standart etablished

    The only "standard" was the +3 drive. AFAIK that was totally
    incompatible with any 48k solution, but was standard enough for a few
    games to be released in the format.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  7. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Chris Young schrieb:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:22 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC LCD:
    >
    >> The problem was, Sinclair has not produced a disc system, so there could
    >> be no standart etablished

    > The only "standard" was the +3 drive. AFAIK that was totally
    > incompatible with any 48k solution, but was standard enough for a few
    > games to be released in the format.
    >
    > Chris

    But it was released:
    a) By amstrad, not by sinclair
    b) too late
    c) in wrong format, because the 3" drive was cheap at tis time and
    Amstrad had a large stock of this stuff. At this time Amiga and Atari ST
    had 3.5" Discs
    d) as you mentioned correctly, incompatible to 48K or 128K in USR 0 mode.

    LCD

  8. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Yes, being involved in the early days of the Sam I have a couple of these
    and some add ons.. It could of course function as a Spectrum if you liked.

    There was not that much on a Microdrive you know. I have quite a few. On
    Speccy if you got 90k you were doing well.
    The Sixword disc system as well as having a native mode, had an interface 1
    emulator which allowed several virtual microdrives on one floppy, so the
    lack of a real disc standard should not have been a problem except possible
    because of the rom copyright.

    I well recall the mtx 512 debacle when they had a machine with a spectrum
    compatible basic but Sinclair threatened to take action and it went out
    with a buggy version of Msoft basic and the Noddy display language. The
    thing could very easily become a spectrum with ram disc though by the time
    the third party folk 'invented' this it was far too late for memotech.

    "LCD" wrote in message
    > Thx Brian,
    >
    > In fact, I never saw one on the eBay.
    > Have now just sold two of these devices, the third one has a weak
    > rewinding, so I keep it.
    > I myself loved this device, almost all my games are cracked (by me self)
    > and compressed, so the loading was very fast. I used it often to transfer
    > games from tape to +D.
    > The Clive Drive was a 3" device, but I remember there was also a strange
    > 2.5" disc device, which looks to be rarer than rare, but it is not
    > possible to find media for it.
    > I own also a Wafadrive. I remember at the end of YS era the adverts where
    > these device was offered very cheap, I think fourteen pound or so.
    > The only compatible devices I remember is the Disciple and +D (which was
    > then also used in SAM Coupé).
    > The problem was, Sinclair has not produced a disc system, so there could
    > be no standart etablished, on the other side, Commodore released a Floppy
    > system and it became standard. The Sinclair floppy-like system,
    > Microdrive, was used later in QL. It had a large amount of memory, fast
    > Just imagine, Sinclair would produce a Spectrum 64 with internal +D disc
    > system based on +D. There would be no incompatible storage systems.
    >
    > LCD
    >
    > Brian Gaff schrieb:
    >> Its one of those things really. Lots of things are worth a lot to the
    >> right person. I do remember trying one of these and finding it rather
    >> unreliable myself, but then the production quality of tapes was not
    >> exactly high either.
    >>
    >> Your best bet is to shove one up on Ebay and see what happens. After all,
    >> its not that rare, but by now it might well be.
    >>
    >> Lots of strange loading devices were made. The Clivedrive, the Wafer
    >> drive had quite a following, though I never liked the large amount of
    >> memory they grabbed.
    >>
    >> Then there were the many different disc drives.
    >>
    >> Almost everyone had one totally incompatible with all the others!
    >>
    >> Brian

  9. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Well, lets face it Cliff Lawson put the Amstrad hardware on the speccy and
    did a reasonable job in a short time of making it work. He did want to write
    the front end code to allow file access from Basic, as the actual disc
    routines had been written, which is why you could run CP/M on the +3 of
    course.#

    Pity about the overloaded sound though as well.#

    I still have one of these machines here, but as its not been used for some
    time I suspect it will need a new disc belt.

    "Chris Young" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:22 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
    > rappin'
    > to MC LCD:
    >
    >> The problem was, Sinclair has not produced a disc system, so there could
    >> be no standart etablished

    > The only "standard" was the +3 drive. AFAIK that was totally
    > incompatible with any 48k solution, but was standard enough for a few
    > games to be released in the format.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > --
    > | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    > | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    > | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    > +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  10. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Sure he did the job well, but this means the software part. The hardware
    was outdated at the time. As the rewriting of the 48K was not possible,
    he could use a "Shadow" ROM like the one in +D, to control the drive.
    The +3 has a total of 64Kb ROM, I think, and the DOS for controling the
    drives from 128K Basic is stored in such a Shadow ROM, right?
    CP/M is an Addon, so running it on +3 was possible only if this addon
    was purchased.
    I have a +3 too, but it is a +3e, without disc drive.

    LCD

    Brian Gaff schrieb:
    > Well, lets face it Cliff Lawson put the Amstrad hardware on the speccy and
    > did a reasonable job in a short time of making it work. He did want to write
    > the front end code to allow file access from Basic, as the actual disc
    > routines had been written, which is why you could run CP/M on the +3 of
    > course.#
    >
    > Pity about the overloaded sound though as well.#
    >
    > I still have one of these machines here, but as its not been used for some
    > time I suspect it will need a new disc belt.
    >
    > Brian

  11. Re: Challenge Research Sprint recorder

    Sam can read +D discs, that's enough. On the Disc that came with SAM
    there was a program to convert Speccy Basic Files from +D to SAM Basic.
    If you got the right microdrive formatter, there could be 120 Kb stored
    on it. 90 is just normal, but I had tapes which stored 105 Kb at normal
    formatting.
    +D and Opus are able to use microdrive syntax, and there was no
    copyright problem.
    Sorry, but I do not remember mtx 512, it was a UK-only product I
    suppose? (I'm living in Austria).

    LCD

    Brian Gaff schrieb:
    > Yes, being involved in the early days of the Sam I have a couple of these
    > and some add ons.. It could of course function as a Spectrum if you liked.
    >
    > There was not that much on a Microdrive you know. I have quite a few. On
    > Speccy if you got 90k you were doing well.
    > The Sixword disc system as well as having a native mode, had an interface 1
    > emulator which allowed several virtual microdrives on one floppy, so the
    > lack of a real disc standard should not have been a problem except possible
    > because of the rom copyright.
    >
    > I well recall the mtx 512 debacle when they had a machine with a spectrum
    > compatible basic but Sinclair threatened to take action and it went out
    > with a buggy version of Msoft basic and the Noddy display language. The
    > thing could very easily become a spectrum with ram disc though by the time
    > the third party folk 'invented' this it was far too late for memotech.
    >
    > Brian

+ Reply to Thread