Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record? - Sinclair ; Earlier today, I picked up a vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles Out". On the A-side is one of his legendary tracks which goes on for 24 minutes, named "Taurus II". At the very start of it, there is ...

  1. Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    Earlier today, I picked up a vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles
    Out". On the A-side is one of his legendary tracks which goes on for 24
    minutes, named "Taurus II".

    At the very start of it, there is a very short and quiet binary noise which
    sounds suspiciously like Speccy data, but the album was mastered between
    Sept 81 and Feb 82.

    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk/gener...chOrSpeccy.mp3

    I've amplified it, but I was wondering, if anyone else agrees it's Sinclair
    data, be it from a Spectrum or earlier machine, if there was any way of
    decoding it?

    I know MP3 files can be tricky to decode from at the best of times, so I
    still have the original recording I made of it before I amplified it and
    compressed it, just in case anyone wants a closer listen.
    --
    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  2. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    Scribbler wrote:
    > At the very start of it, there is a very short and quiet binary noise which
    > sounds suspiciously like Speccy data, but the album was mastered between
    > Sept 81 and Feb 82.
    >
    > http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk/gener...chOrSpeccy.mp3

    This is where I nod sagely and say "That's SMPTE time code, that is",
    and make it look like I know what I'm talking about...

    http://www.philrees.co.uk/articles/timecode.htm#wave

    (...when actually I'm just regurgitating a comment someone else made on
    my CSI Miami / Sabre Wulf blog post:
    http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/csi-miami/ )

  3. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    Scribbler wrote:
    > Earlier today, I picked up a vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles
    > Out". On the A-side is one of his legendary tracks which goes on for 24
    > minutes, named "Taurus II".
    >
    > At the very start of it, there is a very short and quiet binary noise which
    > sounds suspiciously like Speccy data, but the album was mastered between
    > Sept 81 and Feb 82.

    It's an album I've listened to dozens of times, and I have to say it's
    never sounded like anything Speccy-related to me-- always assumed it was
    just the standard click/metronome track generated by whatever MIDI
    software he was playing with at the time.

  4. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    Being a long time Oldfield fan myself, I just listened to my vinyl LP copy,
    standard CD release, 2000 remaster and 2007 Japanese cardbord CDs. On
    neither I've found the sound bite you were referring to. The clicking sound
    before the music start is actually a click track.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  5. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    "fsh" wrote in
    news:d0af1$4852c05a$4e367bc3$13807@news.usenext.de :

    > Being a long time Oldfield fan myself, I just listened to my vinyl LP
    > copy, standard CD release, 2000 remaster and 2007 Japanese cardbord
    > CDs. On neither I've found the sound bite you were referring to. The
    > clicking sound before the music start is actually a click track.

    Thanks all for the info, sort of disappointed that I hadn't stumbled on
    some type of early Speccy discovery though...

    fsh: It occurs 2.65 seconds before the first "tick" of Taurus II. I presume
    this was something that was never meant to be in there in the first place,
    so it's probably removed from most releases. It's actually very quiet, I
    amplified it for the sake of the sound bite.

    Just for the record (ha! DYSWIDT?) the version of the LP I took it from has
    the matrix code of "V2222 A4", and has "TOWNHOUSE" stamped in the run off
    groove too.

    --
    http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk <-- Main site.
    http://www.scribcam.co.uk <----- Webcam. Eww.

  6. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    On Jun 12, 2:53 am, Scribbler wrote:
    > Earlier today, I picked up a vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles
    > Out".

    I like the fact that the title track has lyrics such as "Got to get
    your finest out". Paging Dr. Freud...

  7. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 2:53 am, Scribbler wrote:
    >> Earlier today, I picked up a vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles
    >> Out".

    > I like the fact that the title track has lyrics such as "Got to get
    > your finest out". Paging Dr. Freud...

    Five miles out, just fold your head in two...

  8. Re: Sinclair related easter-egg on Mike Oldfield record?

    "Taurus II" really shines. I'm listening to a live version as I write
    (Bruxelles 12.06.1983) and it's just mind-blowing... MOTS is great and all,
    but get the old electric out and rock on...

+ Reply to Thread