Time to say Goodbye - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Time to say Goodbye - Sinclair ; Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 ...

  1. Time to say Goodbye

    Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings, of
    which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been kinda
    quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the intellectual
    stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the erotic intensity
    of those concerning Buffy and Willow.

    So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    Regards
    Chris
    --
    Chris Johnson mobile:+44 (0)7785 302122 Fax: +44 (0)870 0519 818
    EDI website http://www.edimatrix.co.uk

  2. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On 30 May, 12:07, Chris Johnson wrote:
    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.
    >
    > Regards
    > Chris

    But, But...
    You wrote the Nordic ROM produced for the 48K Speccy by Beckman
    Innovation AB.
    You received instructional messages from SR telling you of the quirks
    and fixes.
    Anyway this is the hotel comp.sys.sinclair. You can check out any time
    you like...

    --
    G.

  3. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Chris Johnson wrote:

    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    > Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings,
    > of which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been
    > kinda quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the
    > intellectual stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the
    > erotic intensity of those concerning Buffy and Willow.
    >
    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    Bye for now. You'll be missed.

    You'll be back at some point though.
    --
    Slower Than You

  4. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On May 30, 12:07 pm, Chris Johnson
    wrote:
    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell.

    I know people who have never owned anything other than a PC and would
    still consider themselves retrogamers thanks to emulation. I don't
    think there's any retro forum out there that discriminates against
    those who no longer use the real deal, is there?
    Au revoir then, not adieu.

  5. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > On 30 May, 12:07, Chris Johnson wrote:
    > But, But...
    > You wrote the Nordic ROM produced for the 48K Speccy by Beckman
    > Innovation AB.

    Aah, yes. Can't remember if I said so at the time, but I think that has
    to be one of my favourite CSS threads ever.

    "I've found a ROM that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere on the
    web. Does anyone know anything about it?"
    "Yes... I wrote it. Here's a bunch of information about it."
    "Yes... I commissioned it. Here's a bunch of information about it."
    "Yes... I've just received an email from Mr Beckman about it. Here it is."

    It's for moments like this that the internet was invented.

  6. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    wrote:
    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell.

    Nonsense. I'm half your age and I've given most of my Sinclair stuff
    away too. This group has only been tenuously associated with computer
    stuff at the best of times.

    > I miss the intellectual
    > stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions,

    Granted all but a few old timers have left, but if you start up an
    intellectual conversation the remaining stalwarts are sure to join in.

    > and the erotic intensity
    > of those concerning Buffy and Willow.

    mmm re-runs

    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    And the rolos!

  7. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Chris Johnson wrote:

    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    > Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings, of
    > which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been kinda
    > quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the intellectual
    > stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the erotic intensity
    > of those concerning Buffy and Willow.
    >
    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    Argh! No! Er.. Monster Munch! Buffy! Willow! *Vampire* Willow!

    Ah, gwaaaan... stick around.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  8. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Chris Johnson wrote:
    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell.

    I do not agree with your decision but I will defend to the death your
    right to make it! (...because that's how quality gear makes its way in
    my direction).

    > According to Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed
    > 238 postings, of which only one was memorable ('wonk angle').

    It's quality, not quantity... I've made many more posts to this group
    but very little along the lines of a contribution...

    > In truth it has been kinda quiet here for the last couple of years.

    Maybe it's finally October!

    > I miss the intellectual stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions,
    > and the erotic intensity of those concerning Buffy and Willow.

    Like Kolak chilli & garlic? Oh, man...

    Never saw the attraction of skinny teenagers - give me meat and experience.

    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    Laters... not too many laters, hopefully.

  9. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Chris Johnson wrote:
    > it is time for me to bid this group farewell.

    I keep thinking about it, and then for some odd reason, I keep reading,
    probably in the mistaken hope that I'll be able to answer some obscure
    question. I've been waiting for 12 years for that moment... (check the logs
    from when I was posting as smc6@aber while I was still at uni)

    Steve

  10. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    I'd love to be able to give my room and garage full of mainly speccy stuff,
    as very soon now I'll have to dump it otherwise as I understand new EU regs
    means I'll have to pay to take it to the tip if I wait much longer.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Slower Than You" wrote in message
    > Chris Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    >> year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    >> Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings,
    >> of which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been
    >> kinda quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the
    >> intellectual stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the
    >> erotic intensity of those concerning Buffy and Willow.
    >>
    >> So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    > Bye for now. You'll be missed.
    >
    > You'll be back at some point though.
    > --
    > Slower Than You

  11. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On May 31, 8:04 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > I'd love to be able to give my room and garage full of mainly speccy stuff,
    > as very soon now I'll have to dump it otherwise as I understand new EU regs
    > means I'll have to pay to take it to the tip if I wait much longer.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Brian Gaff - bria...@blueyonder.co.uk
    > Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    > in the display name may be lost.
    > Blind user, so no pictures please!
    > "Slower Than You" wrote in messagenews:xn0fqss291q0lzv000@news.clara.net...
    >
    > > Chris Johnson wrote:

    > >> Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > >> year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    > >> Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings,
    > >> of which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been
    > >> kinda quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the
    > >> intellectual stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the
    > >> erotic intensity of those concerning Buffy and Willow.

    > >> So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.

    > > Bye for now. You'll be missed.

    > > You'll be back at some point though.
    > > --
    > > Slower Than You

    If you plan to get rid of some of your Sinclair items, please consider
    shipping them to the United States. I would pay for shipping and for
    the trouble.

  12. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Have you considered e-baying them Brian? I'm sure you could turn them
    into a few handy beer tokens without too much effort. You could make it
    a "collection only" auction if getting them to a post office is too
    much hassle.

    As I recall, we did speak on the phone about your stash of speccy
    goodies years ago (soon after you started posting to CSS). I believe I
    live just up the road from you and if you need anyone to come over and
    help with cataloguing them for an auction then let me know.

    --

  13. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On 2008-05-30, Chris Johnson wrote:
    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to

    Junk? Junk!??

    Yes, if it'd been Commode, but not Sinclair!

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  14. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On 2008-05-31, Brian Gaff wrote:
    > I'd love to be able to give my room and garage full of mainly speccy stuff,
    > as very soon now I'll have to dump it otherwise as I understand new EU regs
    > means I'll have to pay to take it to the tip if I wait much longer.

    What Speccy stuff do you have?

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  15. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Chris Johnson wrote in news:NXGSeStc$9PIFwSP@edimatrix.demon.co.uk:

    > Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    > year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    > Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings, of
    > which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been kinda
    > quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the intellectual
    > stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the erotic intensity
    > of those concerning Buffy and Willow.
    >
    > So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.
    >
    > Regards
    > Chris

    mmmmmmmmm, wonk angle stuck in a Buffy-flavoured Monster Munch.

    I just googled your wonk angle post - I can't believe that was six years ago - and am now trawling through old c.s.s. posts. Ah, memories.

  16. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Lee Prince wrote in

    > Chris Johnson wrote in
    >
    >> Since I am now 60 and gave away all my SInclair memorabilia (junk) a
    >> year ago it is time for me to bid this group farewell. According to
    >> Google Groups in a little over ten years I only managed 238 postings,
    >> of which only one was memorable ('wonk angle'). In truth it has been
    >> kinda quiet here for the last couple of years. I miss the
    >> intellectual stimulation of the crisp flavour discussions, and the
    >> erotic intensity of those concerning Buffy and Willow.
    >>
    >> So - goodbye, and thanks for all the crisps.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Chris

    > mmmmmmmmm, wonk angle stuck in a Buffy-flavoured Monster Munch.
    >
    > I just googled your wonk angle post - I can't believe that was six
    > years ago - and am now trawling through old c.s.s. posts. Ah,
    > memories.

    hmmm, what happened there? My line length went all funny. Bloody old
    newbies, eh?

    Anyway Chris, you deserve some kind of self-restraint award for only
    managing 238 postings in ten years - I think I was posting 238 times a
    WEEK back in 2001, which is rather worrying.

  17. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:25:32 GMT, Lee Prince
    wrote:

    >I think I was posting 238 times a
    >WEEK back in 2001, which is rather worrying.

    Aye, only because you wanted to know about the average CSSer.

    So you could go round their houses when they're out, steal their
    computer, and ravage their girlfriends, iirc

  18. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Lee Prince wrote:
    > Anyway Chris, you deserve some kind of self-restraint award for only
    > managing 238 postings in ten years - I think I was posting 238 times a
    > WEEK back in 2001, which is rather worrying.

    Tsk, amateur...

    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  19. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    "Woodster" wrote ...
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:25:32 GMT, Lee Prince
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think I was posting 238 times a
    >>WEEK back in 2001, which is rather worrying.

    > Aye, only because you wanted to know about the average CSSer.
    >
    > So you could go round their houses when they're out, steal their
    > computer, and ravage their girlfriends, iirc

    Sinclair computers aren't really worth stealing. What do the girlfriends
    look like? >;-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!

  20. Re: Time to say Goodbye

    Woodster wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:25:32 GMT, Lee Prince
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think I was posting 238 times a
    >>WEEK back in 2001, which is rather worrying.

    > Aye, only because you wanted to know about the average CSSer.
    >
    > So you could go round their houses when they're out, steal their
    > computer, and ravage their girlfriends, iirc

    Yep, that was why I suddenly stopped posting here

+ Reply to Thread