Spectrum+ 128 PSU question - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Spectrum+ 128 PSU question - Sinclair ; Hello there! I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from an Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it? Thanks, Frank...

  1. Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    Hello there!

    I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from an
    Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it?

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    fsh wrote:
    > Hello there!
    >
    > I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from
    > an Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frank

    looking at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/r...e/hardware.htm,
    the 128k needs 9v at 1.85 amps, so that power supply will be fine.

    make sure you have the right polarity on the plug though! The centre is
    NEGATIVE. the barrel is POSITIVE

  3. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    "Guesser" wrote in message
    > fsh wrote:
    >> Hello there!
    >>
    >> I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from
    >> an Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>

    > looking at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/r...e/hardware.htm, the
    > 128k needs 9v at 1.85 amps, so that power supply will be fine.
    >
    > make sure you have the right polarity on the plug though! The centre is
    > NEGATIVE. the barrel is POSITIVE

    That's a problem! The Atari power supply is AC! You may see smoke if you
    try it.

    Ralph

  4. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    > That's a problem! The Atari power supply is AC! You may see smoke if
    > you

    You're right, I've just checked. Well then, I'll better keep my hands off
    it. (-;

    Thanks for the heads up!

  5. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    No, I don't think so. I'm not even sure the polarity is the right way
    around.

    I know some of those Atari psus just gave AC out with the rest in the unit
    but Do not recall if this was one of them.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "fsh" wrote in message
    news:d21ed$4832bcdd$55b1d580$13838@news.usenext.de ...
    > Hello there!
    >
    > I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from
    > an Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Frank

  6. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    But usually a flaky 128 supply was just the lead in any case. Very little in
    there to go wrong otherwise.

    "Guesser" wrote in message
    > fsh wrote:
    >> Hello there!
    >>
    >> I have a newly acquired 128 with a flaky PSU. Can I use a 9V/3A PSU from
    >> an Atari 1050 floppy drive to power it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>

    > looking at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/r...e/hardware.htm, the
    > 128k needs 9v at 1.85 amps, so that power supply will be fine.
    >
    > make sure you have the right polarity on the plug though! The centre is
    > NEGATIVE. the barrel is POSITIVE

  7. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    Why not use the lead to replace the faulty one on the Sinclair?

    "fsh" wrote in message
    news:ea3e9$4832ea41$55b1d67f$22054@news.usenext.de ...

    >> That's a problem! The Atari power supply is AC! You may see smoke if
    >> you

    > You're right, I've just checked. Well then, I'll better keep my hands off
    > it. (-;
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up!

  8. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    "Brian Gaff" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1fDYj.6709$DZ6.5234@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    > But usually a flaky 128 supply was just the lead in any case. Very little
    > in there to go wrong otherwise.

    You are right, Brian, it's the lead, just where it "leads" (sorry for the
    pathetic pun) into the case. Maybe just a loose connection. I'll check it
    later this week.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  9. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    I've just checked: the power brick I have (the one with the flaky lead)
    throws out 13.9V. Is that normal?

  10. Re: Spectrum+ 128 PSU question

    fsh wrote:
    > I've just checked: the power brick I have (the one with the flaky lead)
    > throws out 13.9V. Is that normal?

    If that's 13.9V with nothing plugged into it - yep, that sounds right.
    Spectrum power bricks are unregulated, so the voltage drops when a load
    is applied.

+ Reply to Thread