Computer Revolutions - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Computer Revolutions - Sinclair ; Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Computer Revolutions

    Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?

  2. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 12:52:45 +0100, Lister wrote:

    > Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?

    I'm not sure there's much scope left for "bringing computing to the
    masses" like the speccy did - prices are probably about as low as they can
    get and machines just can't be piled any higher and cheaper than they
    already are.

    However, there's plenty of scope left for different ways of working
    (distributed computing, machine intelligence, quantum computing etc.)
    which might take off in the next 50 years or so.

    cheers

    Jules

  3. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On May 14, 12:52 pm, Lister wrote:
    > Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?

    What about pandora? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC5SN6L1fyI

    On the other hand, I'm afraid there will no computer which impact us
    as the ZX Spectrum did.
    It was or first computer (for many of us), it was simple, cool :-) and
    easy to hack / program.

    Currently the systems offers ZILLIONS of RAM / NetworkBand / Space/
    CPU Speed. It doesn' matter how far they will go, I won't get
    impressed by them as with the ZX Spectrum. If there's going to be a
    new computer phenomena it must be something completely unexpected and
    revolutionary. Maybe AI related, and must allow the user to easily
    hack it / improve it / programe it.

    Maybe a GRID / SOCIAL computing AI game platform, as Jules suggested
    is the way to go. Who knows...

  4. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Lister wrote:
    > Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?

    Certainly not for the same sorts of reasons. People just don't buy
    computers just to find out how they work or to learn to program any
    more. They buy them because they need to learn Word or Photoshop, or to
    email their granny in Auchenshoogle.

    The OLPC project had a chance of doing something revolutionary for a
    different target audience, but it seems to be self-destructing at the
    moment.

  5. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 23:07:49 +0100, Calum
    wrote:

    >Lister wrote:
    >> Will there ever be one as big as the humble speccy again?

    >Certainly not for the same sorts of reasons. People just don't buy
    >computers just to find out how they work or to learn to program any
    >more. They buy them because they need to learn Word or Photoshop, or to
    >email their granny in Auchenshoogle.
    >
    >The OLPC project had a chance of doing something revolutionary for a
    >different target audience, but it seems to be self-destructing at the
    >moment.

    OLPC?

  6. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Lister wrote:

    > OLPC?

    Don't you have google in Scotland?
    --
    Slower Than You

  7. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-15, Slower Than You wrote:

    > Lister wrote:
    >
    >> OLPC?

    > Don't you have google in Scotland?

    They do but all it does is come up with Mel Gibson's Braveheart quotes
    and complaints about the English ;-)

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  8. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Slower Than You wrote:
    > Lister wrote:
    >
    >> OLPC?

    > Don't you have google in Scotland?

    They do, but the carrier pigeon dies of exhaustion carrying all the hits
    back.

  9. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-05-15, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    > > Lister wrote:
    > >
    > >> OLPC?

    > > Don't you have google in Scotland?

    > They do but all it does is come up with Mel Gibson's Braveheart quotes
    > and complaints about the English ;-)

    Would that be ochayethenoogle.com? Actually there is a Scottish Gaelic
    version of google the I just discovered - http://www.google.com/intl/gd/

    Not too sure how many Scots actually speak the lingo though these days
    though.
    --
    Slower Than You

  10. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-16, Slower Than You wrote:

    > Would that be ochayethenoogle.com? Actually there is a Scottish Gaelic
    > version of google the I just discovered - http://www.google.com/intl/gd/
    >
    > Not too sure how many Scots actually speak the lingo though these days
    > though.

    When I lived up there I was taught it throughout my childhood at the
    primary school, and went on to learn it for a while at secondary
    school but after a year or so I was catapulted 100 years into the
    future by moving to England. I can remember almost none of it,
    probably due to my brain trying to scrub the memories of having to
    stand on a stage and sing the bloody stuff while dressed in a skirt
    with a furry purse strapped to my crotch.

    No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    As for people who speak it, I never met anyone who spoke it seriously,
    but I'll bet there's loads who claim to. I only ever learned songs in
    it and trotted them out parrot-fashion, not paying the blindest bit of
    attention to the language itself so I don't claim to speak it, just
    remember fragments of crap songs in it.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  11. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:15:05 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Slower Than You:

    > Would that be ochayethenoogle.com? Actually there is a Scottish Gaelic
    > version of google the I just discovered - http://www.google.com/intl/gd/
    >
    > Not too sure how many Scots actually speak the lingo though these days
    > though.

    5%, see:
    http://www.bord-na-gaidhlig.org.uk/D...06.Lang-EN.htm

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  12. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-16, Chris Young wrote:

    > 5%, see:
    > http://www.bord-na-gaidhlig.org.uk/D...06.Lang-EN.htm

    Pfff, make that 5% know one or two words, not much point going to a
    gaelic promoting website to find out information, it's like asking the
    manfacturer's of Whiskas how many cats out of 10 prefer it.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  13. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote:

    > No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    > everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    > like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    > of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    F'NAR!

    obSpeccy: The two most Scottish games I can find on WoS are "MacMan and
    the Caber Eater" and the curiously denied educational game "Macbeth".

    Eq.

  14. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 16 May, 20:06, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > "Ian Rawlings" wrote:
    > > No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    > > everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    > > like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    > > of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    > F'NAR!
    >
    > obSpeccy: The two most Scottish games I can find on WoS are "MacMan and
    > the Caber Eater" and the curiously denied educational game "Macbeth".
    >
    > Eq.

    You mean "The Scottish Game". You should have said "The most Scottish
    game I can find is 'The Scottish Game'".

  15. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Paul E Collins" wrote:

    > The two most Scottish games I can find on WoS are "MacMan and the
    > Caber Eater" and the curiously denied educational game "Macbeth".

    I have now also found "Nessie" and "Loch Ness Monsters".

    Code Masters' "Advanced Haggis Simulator" is still missing in action.
    Can you help?

    Eq.

  16. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    > everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    > like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    > of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    Gal-ick is how the highlanders pronounce it. (Apparently. I wouldn't
    know.) And it's their language, not us Sassenach lowlanders', so we[1]
    tend to use that up here.[2] Gay-lick is the Irish pronunciation.

    > As for people who speak it, I never met anyone who spoke it seriously,
    > but I'll bet there's loads who claim to. I only ever learned songs in
    > it and trotted them out parrot-fashion, not paying the blindest bit of
    > attention to the language itself so I don't claim to speak it, just
    > remember fragments of crap songs in it.

    Apparently it's still the first language on the likes of Lewis. But then
    they still worship the big iron bird that brings medicine up there.

    [1] I say "we"; I tend to use "gay-lick" because it annoys the
    teuchters.[3] And that's always fun.

    [2] Or down here. Whatever. The bit between you and them.

    [3] Hielanmen.[4]

    [4] Highlanders.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  17. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Paul E Collins" napísal

    > I have now also found "Nessie" and "Loch Ness Monsters".

    Just offtopic : does Lochness monster rumour base on some real experience,
    or is it pure fiction ?

  18. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:32:04 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Ian Rawlings:

    > > 5%, see:
    > > http://www.bord-na-gaidhlig.org.uk/D...06.Lang-EN.htm

    > Pfff, make that 5% know one or two words

    Actually, I was going to quantify it, by suggesting they had only
    surveyed people in outlying areas who are mostly cut off from the rest
    of Scotland (but I posted it first and didn't want to reply to
    myself). I've seen other estimates of 100,000 (or was it 10,000?), in
    fact those were the estimates I was looking for but I couldn't be
    bothered to look past the first couple of links on Google (English
    version).

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  19. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:53:16 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Duncan Snowden:

    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    > > No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    > > everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    > > like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    > > of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    > Gal-ick is how the highlanders pronounce it. (Apparently. I wouldn't
    > know.) And it's their language, not us Sassenach lowlanders', so we[1]
    > tend to use that up here.[2] Gay-lick is the Irish pronunciation.

    Gay-lick is surely correct, as ae (or, rather, æ) is pronounced ay[1]
    and has it origins in, actually I have no idea where æ originates[2]
    and I don't care as it tends to get replaced by ae or e or even a
    these days, depending on the day of the week or other such random
    factors. It also looks remarkably odd in a fixed width font which
    squashes it down to the same size as an a or an e.

    But, in a country[3] where burgh is pronounced borough, who knows how
    to pronounce Gælic[4], garlic or even Glasgow?

    Chris

    [1] Or, "Eh?", a sort of elongated "a" sound anyway.
    [2] I could look it up on Wikipædia, if they'd spelt it right.
    [3] OK, it happens in England too, but that's not the subject here, is
    it?
    [4] This is the point where somebody tells me that the a and e have
    always been separate in Gaelic and æ is actually wrong. But what do I
    care?

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  20. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:06:00 +0100, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:

    >"Ian Rawlings" wrote:
    >
    >> No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    >> everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    >> like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    >> of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    >F'NAR!
    >
    >obSpeccy: The two most Scottish games I can find on WoS are "MacMan and
    >the Caber Eater" and the curiously denied educational game "Macbeth".

    Oooh, hot potato off with his drawers, pluck to make amends!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast