Computer Revolutions - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Computer Revolutions - Sinclair ; On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:04:25 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin' to MC Bohus Král: > > I have now also found "Nessie" and "Loch Ness Monsters". > > Just offtopic : does Lochness monster rumour base on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:04:25 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Bohus Král:

    > > I have now also found "Nessie" and "Loch Ness Monsters".

    > Just offtopic : does Lochness monster rumour base on some real experience,
    > or is it pure fiction ?

    It is based on real sightings, but rather like the UK UFO files, with
    few exceptions they are either hoaxes or the person making the
    statement was drunk[1] at the time.

    Chris
    [1] or asleep, or on drugs, or whatever

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Chris Young" napísal v správe
    > On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:04:25 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
    > rappin'
    > to MC Bohus Král:
    >
    >> > I have now also found "Nessie" and "Loch Ness Monsters".

    >> Just offtopic : does Lochness monster rumour base on some real
    >> experience,
    >> or is it pure fiction ?

    > It is based on real sightings, but rather like the UK UFO files, with
    > few exceptions they are either hoaxes or the person making the
    > statement was drunk[1] at the time.
    >
    > Chris
    > [1] or asleep, or on drugs, or whatever

    And what are the real sightings, what that person saw, I live near a lake
    and never seen anything weird.

  3. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > No-one could ever agree on how to pronounce the word "Gaelic",
    > everyone up in scotland I ever met prounounced it "gal-ick" (sounds
    > like "phallic") while I was told everso ernestly by everyone outside
    > of scotland that it's to be pronounced "gay-lick".

    "Gah-lick" is the Scottish version, "Gay-lick" is the Irish one.
    (Although in Ireland, it's only ever really referred to as "Irish".)

  4. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On May 16, 9:41*pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    > Actually, I was going to quantify it, by suggesting they had only
    > surveyed people in outlying areas who are mostly cut off from the rest
    > of Scotland (but I posted it first and didn't want to reply to
    > myself). *I've seen other estimates of 100,000 (or was it 10,000?), in
    > fact those were the estimates I was looking for but I couldn't be
    > bothered to look past the first couple of links on Google (English
    > version).

    I've also heard it said that there are more Gaelic speakers in Nova
    Scotia than there are left in Scotland, but I have no idea how true
    that is.

  5. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:05:06 +0200 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Bohus Král:

    > >> Just offtopic : does Lochness monster rumour base on some real
    > >> experience,
    > >> or is it pure fiction ?

    > > It is based on real sightings, but rather like the UK UFO files, with
    > > few exceptions they are either hoaxes or the person making the
    > > statement was drunk[1] at the time.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > > [1] or asleep, or on drugs, or whatever

    > And what are the real sightings, what that person saw, I live near a lake
    > and never seen anything weird.

    Delusions, sticks, bears, whatever.

    If somebody tells you there's a monster in a lake, if you look out at
    that lake then even ripples on the water might make you see a monster.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  6. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-16, Chris Young wrote:

    > Delusions, sticks, bears, whatever.

    You forgot the most plausible of explanations that has been used on a
    few occasions: an elephant swimming in the loch. Of course, with
    black-and-white photos, you can't see that the elephant is pink.

    > If somebody tells you there's a monster in a lake, if you look out at
    > that lake then even ripples on the water might make you see a monster.

    Not to mention having a good laugh down the pub later at what you've
    told the daft journalist!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  7. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > As for people who speak it, I never met anyone who spoke it seriously,
    > but I'll bet there's loads who claim to. I only ever learned songs in
    > it and trotted them out parrot-fashion, not paying the blindest bit of
    > attention to the language itself so I don't claim to speak it, just
    > remember fragments of crap songs in it.

    I learnt a fair bit of Manx gaelic once, but I can't remember any of it
    at all now other than "Moddah Beg" (I probably spelt that wrong), which
    means "black dog". And the only reason I remember that is because "The
    Black Dog" is a Manx legend. I couldn't even tell you how to say
    "Hello" without having to look it up now.

    The Manx version is spelt Gaelg and pronounced something like "Galg",
    as if you started to say "gal-ick" but somebody smacked you around the
    head with an iron bar just before you managed to get the whole word out.
    --
    Slower Than You

  8. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > [2] Or down here. Whatever. The bit between you and them.

    How do you know where I am?

    --
    Slower Than You

  9. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-17, Slower Than You wrote:

    > I learnt a fair bit of Manx gaelic once, but I can't remember any of it
    > at all now other than "Moddah Beg" (I probably spelt that wrong), which
    > means "black dog". And the only reason I remember that is because "The
    > Black Dog" is a Manx legend. I couldn't even tell you how to say
    > "Hello" without having to look it up now.

    "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend, one of those ones that
    crops up all the time, like various versions of pixies or fairies,
    which of course leads some to believe they must be real.. The Black
    Dog is also slang for depression, which is certainly a Manx legend!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  10. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-05-17, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    >> I learnt a fair bit of Manx gaelic once, but I can't remember any of it
    >> at all now other than "Moddah Beg" (I probably spelt that wrong), which
    >> means "black dog". And the only reason I remember that is because "The
    >> Black Dog" is a Manx legend. I couldn't even tell you how to say
    >> "Hello" without having to look it up now.

    > "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend, one of those ones that
    > crops up all the time, like various versions of pixies or fairies,
    > which of course leads some to believe they must be real.. The Black
    > Dog is also slang for depression, which is certainly a Manx legend!

    Big black dogs are hardly legends...

    but once a large dog story gets embellished with glowing eyes, and a
    coincidental death. Oh look it's become the Barghest

  11. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Slower Than You wrote:

    > Duncan Snowden wrote:
    >
    >> [2] Or down here. Whatever. The bit between you and them.

    > How do you know where I am?

    Aye, the second sight, 'tis a wonderful thing. Ochone, ochone.[1]

    [1] Whatever that means. But comedy highlanders always say it.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  12. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-05-17, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    > > I learnt a fair bit of Manx gaelic once, but I can't remember any
    > > of it at all now other than "Moddah Beg" (I probably spelt that
    > > wrong), which means "black dog". And the only reason I remember
    > > that is because "The Black Dog" is a Manx legend. I couldn't even
    > > tell you how to say "Hello" without having to look it up now.

    > "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend, one of those ones that
    > crops up all the time, like various versions of pixies or fairies,
    > which of course leads some to believe they must be real.. The Black
    > Dog is also slang for depression, which is certainly a Manx legend!

    I don't know why depression would be a Manx legend. Negligable income
    tax and 20 sheep to every man - what's there to be depressed about?!
    --
    Slower Than You

  13. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 02:30:06 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    wrote:

    >Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-17, Slower Than You wrote:
    >>
    >> > I learnt a fair bit of Manx gaelic once, but I can't remember any
    >> > of it at all now other than "Moddah Beg" (I probably spelt that
    >> > wrong), which means "black dog". And the only reason I remember
    >> > that is because "The Black Dog" is a Manx legend. I couldn't even
    >> > tell you how to say "Hello" without having to look it up now.

    >> "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend, one of those ones that
    >> crops up all the time, like various versions of pixies or fairies,
    >> which of course leads some to believe they must be real.. The Black
    >> Dog is also slang for depression, which is certainly a Manx legend!

    >I don't know why depression would be a Manx legend. Negligable income
    >tax and 20 sheep to every man - what's there to be depressed about?!

    Loneliness

  14. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Slower Than You" napísal

    > I don't know why depression would be a Manx legend. Negligable income
    > tax and 20 sheep to every man - what's there to be depressed about?!
    > --

    There is no GSM signal

  15. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On May 17, 6:55 am, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend

    You cannot be Sirius! :-)

    (dons Invisibility Cloak and makes a run for it...)

  16. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Lister wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 02:30:06 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > I don't know why depression would be a Manx legend. Negligable
    > > income tax and 20 sheep to every man - what's there to be depressed
    > > about?!

    > Loneliness

    With all those sheep? I don't think so!
    --
    Slower Than You

  17. Re: Computer Revolutions

    "Slower Than You" napísal

    >> > I don't know why depression would be a Manx legend. Negligable
    >> > income tax and 20 sheep to every man - what's there to be depressed
    >> > about?!

    >> Loneliness

    > With all those sheep? I don't think so!

    Sheep is mute face it cannot speak.

  18. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 08:45:46 -0700 (PDT), korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    >On May 17, 6:55 am, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> "The Black Dog" is a near worldwide legend

    >You cannot be Sirius! :-)

    ISWYDT!

  19. Re: Computer Revolutions

    On 2008-05-18, Bohus Král wrote:

    > Sheep is mute face it cannot speak.

    I think some of us can breathe easier now, thanks for the reassurance!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  20. Re: Computer Revolutions

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-05-18, Bohus Král wrote:
    >
    >> Sheep is mute face it cannot speak.

    > I think some of us can breathe easier now, thanks for the reassurance!

    Just cos they can't talk...
    They're canny little buggers, sheep...
    Have you SEEN shaun?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast