Residos and +3e Windowing demo - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Residos and +3e Windowing demo - Sinclair ; I am posting this question here as it will probably get more views than on the Residos list. :-) Is it ever likely that the windowing software built into the +3e will be ported to Residos either in-built or as ...

  1. Residos and +3e Windowing demo

    I am posting this question here as it will probably get more views
    than on the Residos list. :-)

    Is it ever likely that the windowing software built into the +3e will
    be ported to Residos either in-built or as an add on package which
    could be used with the Basic Rom?

    I ask because it would be nice sometimes to have the facilities it
    provides on a 48K or 128K spectrum! It also seems a waste to only have
    it on the +3e only!

    Cheers,

    Dicky

  2. Re: Residos and +3e Windowing demo

    I thought it was already in the latest version of ResiDOS. Anyway,
    there's nothing to stop you creating windowing software that works on
    any Spectrum. You just need to create your own channels and link the
    appropriate streams to them. Of course that does require a good
    knowledge of both the Spectrum ROM's streams and channels and assembly
    language in general.

  3. Re: Residos and +3e Windowing demo

    You forgot the other 2 important ingredients - a good knowledge of the
    spectrum software AND of ccourse - Time!

    Anyway - point was, most of the code is probably done already in the
    +3e windowing software - its a question of being able to port it into
    a package for easy use.

    Dicky

  4. Re: Residos and +3e Windowing demo

    On May 13, 1:29*pm, dickydodds wrote:
    > You forgot the other 2 important ingredients - a good knowledge of the
    > spectrum software AND of ccourse - Time!

    I covered one of those with the streams and channels bit. And to be
    honest it doesn't take that much time. I wrote an 80 column screen
    driver for the Timex hi-res mode in a couple of days.

    > Anyway - point was, most of the code is probably done already in the
    > +3e windowing software - its a question of being able to port it into
    > a package for easy use.

    True. Maybe if someone asks Garry nicely he'll GPL it. I'd be happy to
    port to non +3e Speccys at that point.

+ Reply to Thread