Hard Disk Interface - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Hard Disk Interface - Sinclair ; Hi everyone, Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit, but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Hard Disk Interface

    Hi everyone,
    Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I
    can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit,
    but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I think that a
    Hard Disk Interface is the best way to use the real hard.
    So anyone know about some HDD interface project ?
    If anyone want to build one I can work on the Software part.
    Thanks for any info,
    Gus

  2. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    gus wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I
    > can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit,
    > but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I think that a
    > Hard Disk Interface is the best way to use the real hard.
    > So anyone know about some HDD interface project ?
    > If anyone want to build one I can work on the Software part.
    > Thanks for any info,
    > Gus

    I by no means an am expert, but I dont believe there is... In fact I
    believe the ZX81 predates the invention of the hard disk

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  3. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:52:07 +0100, MCR wrote:

    > In fact I
    > believe the ZX81 predates the invention of the hard disk

    RAMAC predates the ZX81 by about 25 years...

    It's hard to classify what the first hard disk intended for 'home'
    machines actually was (i.e. small enough to not fill a room, require
    3-phase, lots of cooling etc.), but units were around by the mid-70s.

    I suspect a ZX81 hard disk interface could be done (although possibly only
    with a 128 or 256 byte sector size), but it'd be really tight on
    memory and I'm not quite sure what the point would be :-)

    cheers

    Jules

  4. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    http://www.fischerkai.de/zxteam/hdif_e.htm
    --
    zoon@lu.onet.pl - Zbigniew Niedźwiedź - GSM/SMS:+48601263351
    http://www.omega.computer.lublin.pl GaduGadu #589387

  5. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    > Hi everyone,
    > Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I
    > can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit,
    > but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I think that a
    > Hard Disk Interface is the best way to use the real hard.
    > So anyone know about some HDD interface project ?
    > If anyone want to build one I can work on the Software part.
    > Thanks for any info,
    > Gus

    Hi Gus,

    There's a IDE driver card here...

    or in french :

    or The Kelly IDE card base on a 8255... by "Zeddy br"
    http://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/ide/
    http://www.zx81.megahospedagem.com.br/files/IDE81.asm
    But the orginal project is "Interface IDE Kelly.zip" ... You had to retrive
    the right page with google (or ask me the file!).

    Xav.

  6. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    There are dozens of IDE projects for the ZX81 and TS1000. Before
    ts1000.us went down, I read posts of people using SD cards on their
    ZX81. I forgot the name of the interface now... MMC-something... And
    if you ask the german ZX81 group (who also read these news), they know
    how to use USB on the ZX81. If you have a Spectrum 128K and the
    interface 2, you can also emulate the ZX81 with Paul Farrow's
    cartridge (100% accurate emulation, including High Resolution
    Graphics), and a serial cable to transfer .P files from your PC to
    your emulated ZX81. That way your PC becomes your ZX81's "HDD".

  7. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    Yes, it would be far more useful to have a ram stick interface.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Jules" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.05.04.18.29.49.616058@remove.this.gmail.co m...
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:52:07 +0100, MCR wrote:
    >
    >> In fact I
    >> believe the ZX81 predates the invention of the hard disk

    > RAMAC predates the ZX81 by about 25 years...
    >
    > It's hard to classify what the first hard disk intended for 'home'
    > machines actually was (i.e. small enough to not fill a room, require
    > 3-phase, lots of cooling etc.), but units were around by the mid-70s.
    >
    > I suspect a ZX81 hard disk interface could be done (although possibly only
    > with a 128 or 256 byte sector size), but it'd be really tight on
    > memory and I'm not quite sure what the point would be :-)
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

  8. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    I built an MMC card interface and developed a menu-based driver for
    it. I think this might be what zxbruno (Hi!) might have been talking
    about on ts1000. Pictures here:

    http://www.robsonfamily.dsl.pipex.com/mmc/mmc.htm

    There's also a link at the bottom of the page for software and
    schematics. It looks hard but really it's just 4 ttl chips. It works
    really well but I'd recommend some kind of larger RAM expansion or
    additional eeprom or rom. Not uttely essential, but useful!

    I'll be happy to help anyone with their own sd/mmc based solution.

    Charlie

  9. Re:Keyboard (sir morris)

    Sir Morris wrote:
    > I built an MMC card interface and developed a menu-based driver for
    > it. I think this might be what zxbruno (Hi!) might have been talking
    > about on ts1000. Pictures here:
    >
    > http://www.robsonfamily.dsl.pipex.com/mmc/mmc.htm
    >
    > There's also a link at the bottom of the page for software and
    > schematics. It looks hard but really it's just 4 ttl chips. It works
    > really well but I'd recommend some kind of larger RAM expansion or
    > additional eeprom or rom. Not uttely essential, but useful!
    >
    > I'll be happy to help anyone with their own sd/mmc based solution.
    >
    > Charlie

    how did you construct that keyboard? and how much did it cost?

    I am interested in building a similar one for a 48k spectrum

  10. Re: Keyboard (sir morris)

    > how did you construct that keyboard?

    I didn't - it was bought around about 1983

  11. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    On May 4, 7:08 pm, "GzavSnap" france> wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > > Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I
    > > can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit,
    > > but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I think that a
    > > Hard Disk Interface is the best way to use the real hard.
    > > So anyone know about some HDD interface project ?
    > > If anyone want to build one I can work on the Software part.
    > > Thanks for any info,
    > > Gus

    > Hi Gus,
    >
    > There's a IDE driver card here...
    >

    > or in french :
    >

    > or The Kelly IDE card base on a 8255... by "Zeddy br"http://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/ide/http://www.zx81.megahospedagem.com.br/files/IDE81.asm
    > But the orginal project is "Interface IDE Kelly.zip" ... You had to retrive
    > the right page with google (or ask me the file!).
    >
    > Xav.

    Hi Xav !!!
    I´m impressed with the "simplicity" of your option
    My hardware knowledge is near zero so if you help me I will try to
    build the interface,
    Is there any way to made just the IDE part, i mean, if I don´t need
    the centronics functionallity can I do just the IDE board, I will read
    in detail your site and take a look at your version of the vb81.
    In the mean time just one more question. do you build the IDE borad ?
    and do you control an IDE drive from the zx81 ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Gus

  12. Re: Keyboard (sir morris)

    On May 5, 9:11 am, Guesser wrote:
    > Sir Morris wrote:
    > > I built an MMC card interface and developed a menu-based driver for
    > > it. I think this might be what zxbruno (Hi!) might have been talking
    > > about on ts1000. Pictures here:

    > >http://www.robsonfamily.dsl.pipex.com/mmc/mmc.htm

    > > There's also a link at the bottom of the page for software and
    > > schematics. It looks hard but really it's just 4 ttl chips. It works
    > > really well but I'd recommend some kind of larger RAM expansion or
    > > additional eeprom or rom. Not uttely essential, but useful!

    > > I'll be happy to help anyone with their own sd/mmc based solution.

    > > Charlie

    > how did you construct that keyboard? and how much did it cost?
    >
    > I am interested in building a similar one for a 48k spectrum

    Hi Charlie,
    Well I must tell you that your projects look very professional for me.
    I do discover the pictures on the zx-team forums yesterday and belive
    me I´m really impressed with your work, I think it´s to much for me
    right now. but I will be very happy if you give me a hand in a future.
    One more time: your project is really good congratulations
    Gus

  13. Re: Keyboard (sir morris)

    > One more time: your project is really good congratulations
    > Gus

    thanks

  14. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    On May 4, 4:04 pm, Zbigniew Niedzwiedz wrote:
    > On Sun, 4 May 2008 10:32:47 -0700 (PDT), gus wrote:
    > >Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ?

    > http://www.fischerkai.de/zxteam/hdif_e.htm
    > --
    > z...@lu.onet.pl - Zbigniew Nied wied - GSM/SMS:+48601263351http://www.omega.computer.lublin.pl GaduGadu #589387
    > Suma inteligencji na planecie jest stała. Populacja ro nie.

    Hi, thank you very much for the info. The zx-team hardware projects ,
    in my begginers point of view, looks very intimidating. I just can
    enjoy the pictures and think what a good things people with electronic
    knowledge can do.
    Cheers,
    Gus

  15. Re:Keyboard (sir morris)

    Guesser wrote in news:fvmtgu$95e$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    > Sir Morris wrote:
    >> I built an MMC card interface and developed a menu-based driver for
    >> it. I think this might be what zxbruno (Hi!) might have been talking
    >> about on ts1000. Pictures here:
    >>
    >> http://www.robsonfamily.dsl.pipex.com/mmc/mmc.htm
    >>
    >> There's also a link at the bottom of the page for software and
    >> schematics. It looks hard but really it's just 4 ttl chips. It works
    >> really well but I'd recommend some kind of larger RAM expansion or
    >> additional eeprom or rom. Not uttely essential, but useful!
    >>
    >> I'll be happy to help anyone with their own sd/mmc based solution.
    >>
    >> Charlie

    > how did you construct that keyboard? and how much did it cost?
    >
    > I am interested in building a similar one for a 48k spectrum

    Looks like a Fuller keyboard to me, am I right? My first serious tinkering
    with a computer's innards was fitting my ZX81 pcb in one of those! It even
    worked when I finished!

  16. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    Jules wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:52:07 +0100, MCR wrote:
    >
    >> In fact I
    >> believe the ZX81 predates the invention of the hard disk

    > RAMAC predates the ZX81 by about 25 years...

    Useful info snipped

    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

    You learn something new everyday!

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  17. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    This reminds me that we need an English ZX81 forum... A place where
    everything about the ZX81 can be found - Software (Simon's site
    already has that), Optional hardware mods, Repair guides, Hardware
    projects, etc. Yes I know, some of you don't like forums, but still...

    Yesterday, for example, I noticed Mike did a ZX Spectrum emulator for
    the ZX81 (!). Who would think it would be possible...

  18. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    > This reminds me that we need an English ZX81 forum... A place where
    > everything about the ZX81 can be found - Software (Simon's site
    > already has that), Optional hardware mods, Repair guides, Hardware
    > projects, etc. Yes I know, some of you don't like forums, but still...

    Agreed!

    > Yesterday, for example, I noticed Mike did a ZX Spectrum emulator for
    > the ZX81 (!). Who would think it would be possible...

    ??!

  19. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    On May 7, 12:22 am, Sir Morris wrote:

    > > Yesterday, for example, I noticed Mike did a ZX Spectrum emulator for
    > > the ZX81 (!). Who would think it would be possible...

    > ??!

    http://web.archive.org/web/200312062...ntey.com/SP81/

  20. Re: Hard Disk Interface

    Hi Gus,

    > There's a IDE driver card here...
    >

    > or in french :
    >

    > or The Kelly IDE card base on a 8255... by "Zeddy

    br"http://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/ide/http://www.zx81.megahospedagem.com.br/f
    iles/IDE81.asm
    > But the orginal project is "Interface IDE Kelly.zip" ... You had to

    retrive
    > the right page with google (or ask me the file!).

    On the IDE circuit part, there's an unwired on the 74hc139 : « /reset »
    And i don't know if this pin is usefull to drive the IDE card ... (???)
    Xav.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast