Help finding an old extended BASIC routine - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Help finding an old extended BASIC routine - Sinclair ; Hello Spec-chums, I have a request. I've finally got around to going through all my old Spectrum tapes and Discovery discs, archiving what laughably passes for my "work" to TZX files ready for the Great Sinclair Clear Out. (I look ...

  1. Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    Hello Spec-chums,

    I have a request. I've finally got around to going through all my old
    Spectrum tapes and Discovery discs, archiving what laughably passes for
    my "work" to TZX files ready for the Great Sinclair Clear Out.

    (I look at some of the creations I wasted weeks on back in the 80s and
    wonder where I'd be now had I concentrated on my O-Level revision like I
    was supposed to be doing).

    Anyhoo, among the assorted crap I've discovered a small BASIC program
    that makes use of both 'fill' and 'colour swap' commands from a typed-in
    BASIC extender program. Alas the machine code routines themselves are
    missing and I would like to replace them if possible.

    The commands themselves are of the form

    "filX,Y,I
    (where X and Y are coordinates and I is the INK colour)
    and
    "scrP,I
    (where P and I are the PAPER and INK colours)

    I have vague memories that the whole routine had several other commands
    based loosely on the Turtle Graphics elements of Logo, and thus may have
    included "rot and "for and similar commands.

    Google and Sinclair InfoSeek searches have found several similar
    Logo-esque routines on TTFn but not the one I'm after. Most BASIC
    command additions used * or . before the command; the use of the single
    quote character is unique as far as I can remember. Unfortunately it
    makes it very difficult to Google for pages with those commands on
    because Google insists on stripping or adding its own quote characters.

    It's likely the routine was printed in ZX Computing or Sinclair Programs
    sometime in the mid 1980s (probably no later than 1988) since those were
    the two magazines I bought most often back in the day. Having said that,
    one of my favourite routines came from Your Computer magazine, so it
    really could be from anywhere.

    If anyone recognises the commands and their syntax, or recalls a
    graphics extension routine that might be the one I'm after, please let
    me know. The program I'm trying to resurrect is in itself
    extraordinarily trivial, but I'd like to get it working and archived for
    the sake of completeness.

    TIA

    --
    Kev
    "For NASA, space is still a high priority."

  2. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    I do not recognize it, but if I were you I would also post this
    request at www.worldofspectrum.org, forum section. I'm sure there are
    lots of people who would love to see your work preserved as .TZX
    files, especially Andrew B.

  3. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    This rings a bell as well. Your Computer does but it may well be due to
    there was a heck of a lot of stuff on the dialsoft link that eventually came
    to me to code in CET for Prestel download, which I was handling at the time.

    Ducks behind cactus as I've just admitted to being Naffsoft indirectly I
    suppose.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Kevin Reilly" wrote in message
    > Hello Spec-chums,
    >
    > I have a request. I've finally got around to going through all my old
    > Spectrum tapes and Discovery discs, archiving what laughably passes for
    > my "work" to TZX files ready for the Great Sinclair Clear Out.
    >
    > (I look at some of the creations I wasted weeks on back in the 80s and
    > wonder where I'd be now had I concentrated on my O-Level revision like I
    > was supposed to be doing).
    >
    > Anyhoo, among the assorted crap I've discovered a small BASIC program
    > that makes use of both 'fill' and 'colour swap' commands from a typed-in
    > BASIC extender program. Alas the machine code routines themselves are
    > missing and I would like to replace them if possible.
    >
    > The commands themselves are of the form
    >
    > "filX,Y,I
    > (where X and Y are coordinates and I is the INK colour)
    > and
    > "scrP,I
    > (where P and I are the PAPER and INK colours)
    >
    > I have vague memories that the whole routine had several other commands
    > based loosely on the Turtle Graphics elements of Logo, and thus may have
    > included "rot and "for and similar commands.
    >
    > Google and Sinclair InfoSeek searches have found several similar
    > Logo-esque routines on TTFn but not the one I'm after. Most BASIC
    > command additions used * or . before the command; the use of the single
    > quote character is unique as far as I can remember. Unfortunately it
    > makes it very difficult to Google for pages with those commands on
    > because Google insists on stripping or adding its own quote characters.
    >
    > It's likely the routine was printed in ZX Computing or Sinclair Programs
    > sometime in the mid 1980s (probably no later than 1988) since those were
    > the two magazines I bought most often back in the day. Having said that,
    > one of my favourite routines came from Your Computer magazine, so it
    > really could be from anywhere.
    >
    > If anyone recognises the commands and their syntax, or recalls a
    > graphics extension routine that might be the one I'm after, please let
    > me know. The program I'm trying to resurrect is in itself
    > extraordinarily trivial, but I'd like to get it working and archived for
    > the sake of completeness.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > --
    > Kev
    > __________________________________________________ ________________________
    > "For NASA, space is still a high priority."
    > Dan Quayle

  4. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 zxbruno wrote:

    >I do not recognize it, but if I were you I would also post this
    >request at www.worldofspectrum.org, forum section.

    I try to avoid web forums if at all possible these days. Too much
    administration in setting up an account, and too many web pages to check
    in an already overcomplicated world. I like the purity of
    offline-readable when-you-have-five-minutes Usenet.

    > I'm sure there are
    >lots of people who would love to see your work preserved as .TZX
    >files, especially Andrew B.

    I think you misunderstand (although to be fair perhaps my original post
    could have been clearer). The missing published routine isn't mine,
    alas, but a third-party program culled from the pages of a listing
    magazine. Trust me, nobody other than me would want to preserve any of
    MY output from that era! I just need that routine to make one of my own
    programs run.

    The closest match I've found is Extended Basic by one Robert Newman
    (that's him, that is) on TTFn (http://tinyurl.com/6mzcf7 and scroll down
    a bit).

    It's close in that it uses a similar colour swapping routine and command
    structure (dots rather than quotes as the command leader) but it's from
    1984, making it a bit too early to be directly related to the routines
    I'm after.

    I figured someone with a better memory than mine might have recognised
    the odd 'leading quote' format of the extended commands and been able to
    point me in the right direction. The really frustrating thing is that I
    recently recycled a whole bunch of old Spectrum magazines, and I'll bet
    dollars to doughnuts the routine I need was in one of them.

    --
    Kev
    "I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."

  5. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    Kevin Reilly wrote in

    > Hello Spec-chums,
    >
    > I have a request. I've finally got around to going through all my old
    > Spectrum tapes and Discovery discs, archiving what laughably passes for
    > my "work" to TZX files ready for the Great Sinclair Clear Out.

    ..
    ..
    > Anyhoo, among the assorted crap I've discovered a small BASIC program

    ..
    ..
    > The commands themselves are of the form
    >
    > "filX,Y,I
    > (where X and Y are coordinates and I is the INK colour)
    > and
    > "scrP,I
    > (where P and I are the PAPER and INK colours)
    >
    > I have vague memories that the whole routine had several other commands
    > based loosely on the Turtle Graphics elements of Logo, and thus may have
    > included "rot and "for and similar commands.

    ..
    ..
    > TIA

    Dear Mr. Reilly.

    I am convinced that the program you are looking for is called "TURTLE",
    written by one Ian Collier (well here is a name that rings a bell, eh?),
    and it was published in the September, 1985 issue of "Your Computer".
    Now it happens that this issue is available at WOS, however, I am in
    possession of the original article, and would be happy to type it in for
    you, and of course also submit it to The Type Fantastic. It will take me a
    couple of days, I think, but I hope your patience will last that long.

    Regards, Gert B. Nielsen.

    --
    Niven's 1. Law:
    Never throw **** at an armed man.

  6. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    Hello Gert,

    Thanks for the follow-up (and e-mail!)

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 Gert B. Nielsen wrote:

    >I am convinced that the program you are looking for is called "TURTLE",
    >written by one Ian Collier (well here is a name that rings a bell, eh?),
    >and it was published in the September, 1985 issue of "Your Computer".
    >Now it happens that this issue is available at WOS, however, I am in
    >possession of the original article, and would be happy to type it in for
    >you, and of course also submit it to The Type Fantastic. It will take me a
    >couple of days, I think, but I hope your patience will last that long.

    You are spot on with the magazine reference, but I hope you haven't
    started to type the program in because with the help of a couple of the
    guys on the WOS forums I've already managed to resurrect a copy of the
    listings. (Please accept my apologies for not posting this info here
    sooner).

    The thread dealing with this is at

    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forum...ad.php?t=20526

    and if you're curious about the program itself there is a link to it
    within that forum thread. Indeed it may have made its way onto The Type
    Fantastic by now.

    Thanks anyway for the offer of the type-in! Maybe the guys at The Type
    Fantastic or WOS might be interested in getting some higher resolution
    scans from your magazine for archival purposes? The one currently on WOS
    is pretty dire, as a read through the quoted thread will show.

    --
    Kev
    "Be kind -- please rewind."

  7. Re: Help finding an old extended BASIC routine

    On May 15, 12:39 pm, Kevin Reilly wrote:
    > Hello Gert,
    >
    > Thanks for the follow-up (and e-mail!)
    >
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 Gert B. Nielsen wrote:
    >
    > Thanks anyway for the offer of the type-in! Maybe the guys at The Type
    > Fantastic or WOS might be interested in getting some higher resolution
    > scans from your magazine for archival purposes? The one currently on WOS
    > is pretty dire, as a read through the quoted thread will show.
    >
    > --
    > Kev

    Scans are always welcome. For WOS you can use the upload feature, for
    T.T.T. I can't recall how to do it.

+ Reply to Thread