Spectrum Demo Scene - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Spectrum Demo Scene - Sinclair ; Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?...

  1. Spectrum Demo Scene

    Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

  2. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On Apr 30, 12:34*am, JBones wrote:
    > Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

    No. It's still going.

  3. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    JBones wrote:
    > Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

    No... FLI existed in 1995-96 as a proper graphics mode that people could
    draw pictures in (see Colour Draw), and existed in some form since way
    before the Speccy demo scene got going (such as the Rainbow Processor
    effect). However, you'd be mad to claim that the scene peaked any
    earlier than 1997 (Enlight 97).

    If any graphic mode killed off creativity in the scene, it would be
    chunky monochrome framerate-like-a-sloth mode. Even today FLI is still
    way underused... only the other day I was playing Arkanoid and Impact on
    myspeccy.com and thinking about how excellent an FLI mode bat-and-ball
    game would be. Mmmm.

  4. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On 30 Apr, 16:30, Matthew Westcott wrote:
    > only the other day I was playing Arkanoid and Impact on
    > myspeccy.com and thinking about how excellent an FLI mode bat-and-ball
    > game would be. Mmmm.

    I'm almost tempted to write one for Mode 2 on the Timex. Saves all
    that nasty timing hassle of getting the bog standard Speccy to do it
    and you could probably manage a decent framerate too.

  5. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On Apr 30, 12:34*am, JBones wrote:
    > Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

    What's FLI? Google only found me information about the C64.

    Matthew

  6. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:26:18 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Wilson
    wrote:

    >On Apr 30, 12:34*am, JBones wrote:
    >> Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

    >What's FLI? Google only found me information about the C64.
    >
    >Matthew

    Something to do with interrupts?

  7. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:26:18 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Wilson

    > >What's FLI? Google only found me information about the C64.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spec....22_attributes

  8. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    On May 1, 2:26*am, Matthew Wilson
    wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 12:34*am, JBones wrote:
    >
    > > Did FLI mark the beginning of the end for the Spectrum demo scene?

    > What's FLI? Google only found me information about the C64.
    >
    > Matthew

    That's the FLI I was talking about. The one that sigle handedly
    destroyed the Spectrum. I remember seeing Spectrum users at 8-bit
    demo comps walking out in embarrassment.

  9. Re: Spectrum Demo Scene

    I've never been involved with the demo scene, but I've seen very
    impressive demos, A lot of stuff is going on and I think we're going
    to be surprised again. Some of the things hat are being talked about
    and/or developed:

    -AY music played by n Spectrums, all at the same time
    -Turbo Sound music
    -New tools to help with image creation and conversion (LCD's RetroX,
    Dunny's Screen Editor,etc.)
    -New tools for cross-development
    -DMA interface
    -IDE video and audio playback

    And lots of new ideas almost every day, even if they're just for
    unexpanded Spectrums.

+ Reply to Thread