Asus - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Asus - Sinclair ; So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Asus

    So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?

  2. Re: Asus

    In article <0lp314hpvuo5078ee43ba2l8bhmb7a12j3@4ax.com>,
    fache@SPAMclara.net says...
    > So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?

    No

  3. Re: Asus

    On Apr 25, 4:57*pm, Mal F wrote:
    > In article <0lp314hpvuo5078ee43ba2l8bhmb7a1...@4ax.com>,
    > fa...@SPAMclara.net says...
    >
    > > So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?

    > No

    There were some arguments that it filled the same niche as the
    original, i.e. provided a computer that did pretty much everything you
    needed at an entry level price. The 701 fits the bill, but the 900 is
    too pricey. I have no complaints about the 701 though, it's an
    excellent machine.

  4. Re: Asus

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:31:38 -0700 (PDT), OwenBot
    wrote:

    >On Apr 25, 4:57*pm, Mal F wrote:
    >> In article <0lp314hpvuo5078ee43ba2l8bhmb7a1...@4ax.com>,
    >> fa...@SPAMclara.net says...
    >>
    >> > So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?

    >> No

    >There were some arguments that it filled the same niche as the
    >original, i.e. provided a computer that did pretty much everything you
    >needed at an entry level price. The 701 fits the bill, but the 900 is
    >too pricey. I have no complaints about the 701 though, it's an
    >excellent machine.

    Ah

  5. Re: Asus

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:13:16 +0100, Lister wrote:

    > So the EeePC is supposed to be the new Speccy. is it?

    The 4G - Yes
    The 2G - more the new ZX81
    The 900 - the new Sam Coupe

  6. Re: Asus

    OwenBot wrote:

    > I wouldn't bother with XP on the 701 though -- it really can't handle
    > the sub 800x600 resolution. Granted the Xandros OS isn't perfect but
    > the machine's only been out since last October!

    Aye - FUSE 0.9.0 builds fine on it, so it's plenty good enough for me.
    Xandros, and probably most/all linux distros are far from perfect for
    your average computer user who just wants something that they can use
    without wearing a hat with a propeller on top, but I suppose most Eee
    PC users will be geeky types like me who don't really mind screwing
    about with arcane command line interfaces to make the most basic of
    things work properly.
    --
    Slower Than You

  7. Re: Asus

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 29 Apr
    2008 00:51:21 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You" fornis do marikano es
    bono tan el:

    >Aye - FUSE 0.9.0 builds fine on it, so it's plenty good enough for me.
    >Xandros, and probably most/all linux distros are far from perfect for
    >your average computer user who just wants something that they can use
    >without wearing a hat with a propeller on top, but I suppose most Eee
    >PC users will be geeky types like me who don't really mind screwing
    >about with arcane command line interfaces to make the most basic of
    >things work properly.

    No, most EeePC users, if the Asus target audience actually buy them, will be
    pupils and students who need something to do word processing on, access the
    internet, and use their school's VLE.[1] None of which require any computing
    skills more advanced than pointing at things with the mouse and clicking a
    button.

    [1] Exactly what we're using them for, in fact.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  8. Re: Asus

    deKay wrote:

    > No, most EeePC users, if the Asus target audience actually buy them,
    > will be pupils and students who need something to do word processing
    > on, access the internet, and use their school's VLE.[1] None of which
    > require any computing skills more advanced than pointing at things
    > with the mouse and clicking a button.

    Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to install
    any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless network, which
    are definitely considerably bigger jobs than pointing and clicking at
    things.
    --
    Slower Than You

  9. Re: Asus

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 29 Apr
    2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You" fornis do marikano es
    bono tan el:

    >> No, most EeePC users, if the Asus target audience actually buy them,
    >> will be pupils and students who need something to do word processing
    >> on, access the internet, and use their school's VLE.[1] None of which
    >> require any computing skills more advanced than pointing at things
    >> with the mouse and clicking a button.

    >Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to install
    >any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless network, which
    >are definitely considerably bigger jobs than pointing and clicking at
    >things.

    In a school, you never want the kids to install any other apps on it. With a
    decent VLE, you don't need *any* apps on it, bar a web browser.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  10. Re: Asus

    deKay wrote:

    > Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue,
    > 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    > comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You"
    > fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
    >
    > > Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to install
    > > any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless network,
    > > which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than pointing and
    > > clicking at things.

    > In a school, you never want the kids to install any other apps on it.
    > With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a web browser.

    They sound ideal for the job then.

    I think I'm going to go out a buy a USB flashdrive when it stops
    raining and have a go at putting a bootable XUbuntu image on mine, just
    to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually liking the concept of
    linux on the desktop eventually...
    --
    Slower Than You

  11. Re: Asus

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:15:06 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    wrote:

    >deKay wrote:
    >
    >> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue,
    >> 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    >> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You"
    >> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
    >>
    >> > Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to install
    >> > any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless network,
    >> > which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than pointing and
    >> > clicking at things.

    >> In a school, you never want the kids to install any other apps on it.
    >> With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a web browser.

    >They sound ideal for the job then.
    >
    >I think I'm going to go out a buy a USB flashdrive when it stops
    >raining and have a go at putting a bootable XUbuntu image on mine, just
    >to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually liking the concept of
    >linux on the desktop eventually...

    How do you get it to boot from the memory stick, then?

  12. Re: Asus

    Lister wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:15:06 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > deKay wrote:
    > >
    > >> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des

    > Tue, >> 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani
    > yeof do >> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You"
    > >> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

    > install >> > any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless
    > network, >> > which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than
    > pointing and >> > clicking at things.
    > >>
    > >> In a school, you never want the kids to install any other apps on

    > it. >> With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a web
    > browser.
    > >
    > > They sound ideal for the job then.
    > >
    > > I think I'm going to go out a buy a USB flashdrive when it stops
    > > raining and have a go at putting a bootable XUbuntu image on mine,
    > > just to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually liking the
    > > concept of linux on the desktop eventually...

    > How do you get it to boot from the memory stick, then?

    By changing the boot order in the BIOS. Actually, you probably don't
    even need to do that - I think the default BIOS config on those things
    is set up to boot from a USB device first if one is present.
    --
    Slower Than You

  13. Re: Asus

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:48:34 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    wrote:

    >Lister wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:15:06 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    >> wrote:

    >> Tue, >> 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani
    >> yeof do >> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than You"

    >> install >> > any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless
    >> network, >> > which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than
    >> pointing and >> > clicking at things.

    >> it. >> With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a web
    >> browser.
    >> >
    >> > They sound ideal for the job then.
    >> >
    >> > I think I'm going to go out a buy a USB flashdrive when it stops
    >> > raining and have a go at putting a bootable XUbuntu image on mine,
    >> > just to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually liking the
    >> > concept of linux on the desktop eventually...

    >> How do you get it to boot from the memory stick, then?

    >By changing the boot order in the BIOS. Actually, you probably don't
    >even need to do that - I think the default BIOS config on those things
    >is set up to boot from a USB device first if one is present.

    My BIOS has no option to boot from memory stick

  14. Re: Asus

    Lister wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:48:34 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Lister wrote:

    > >> Tue, >> 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani
    > >> yeof do >> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Slower Than

    > You" >> >> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

    > >> install >> > any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless
    > >> network, >> > which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than
    > >> pointing and >> > clicking at things.

    > on >> it. >> With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a
    > web >> browser.

    > mine, >> > just to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually
    > liking the >> > concept of linux on the desktop eventually...
    > >>

    > >> How do you get it to boot from the memory stick, then?

    > > By changing the boot order in the BIOS. Actually, you probably don't
    > > even need to do that - I think the default BIOS config on those
    > > things is set up to boot from a USB device first if one is present.

    > My BIOS has no option to boot from memory stick

    You're referring to a machine that isn't an Eee PC, aren't you?
    --
    Slower Than You

  15. Re: Asus

    "Slower Than You" napísal

    > You're referring to a machine that isn't an Eee PC, aren't you?

    He is refering to ZX81 as far I know him...

  16. Re: Asus

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:32:57 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    wrote:

    >Lister wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:48:34 +0100, "Slower Than You"
    >> wrote:

    >> You" >> >> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

    >> on >> it. >> With a decent VLE, you don't need any apps on it, bar a
    >> web >> browser.

    >> mine, >> > just to play with. Who knows, I might end up actually
    >> liking the >> > concept of linux on the desktop eventually...

    >> > By changing the boot order in the BIOS. Actually, you probably don't
    >> > even need to do that - I think the default BIOS config on those
    >> > things is set up to boot from a USB device first if one is present.

    >> My BIOS has no option to boot from memory stick

    >You're referring to a machine that isn't an Eee PC, aren't you?

    Ah, I see what you mean

  17. Re: Asus

    Lister wrote:

    [USB booting on something other than an Eee]
    > Ah, I see what you mean

    It's still possible on any PC with a USB port, using a boot floppy or CD
    to kickstart the process.

    Slightly easier, in fact: I've had no end of bother getting bootloaders
    to work from USB. Syslinux hates me.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  18. Re: Asus

    deKay wrote:
    > In a school, you never want the kids to install any other apps on it.
    > With a decent VLE, you don't need *any* apps on it, bar a web
    > browser.

    I bet they all have fuse and Top Shelf Challenge..

  19. Re: Asus

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, Slower Than You wrote:

    > deKay wrote:
    >
    > Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to install any
    > other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless network, which are
    > definitely considerably bigger jobs than pointing and clicking at
    > things.

    My wife was using the stock Xandros with WPA-PSK just fine, you
    insensitive clod! Having gone to Ubuntu-eee Hardy she's using it mainly
    for Internet gubbins just fine.

    Not too bad for a game of frozen bubble either.

  20. Re: Asus

    SnakeOilSteve wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:34:47 +0100, Slower Than You wrote:
    >
    > > deKay wrote:
    > >
    > > Well I suppose that works as long as the users never want to
    > > install any other apps on it, or connect to a WPA-PSK wireless
    > > network, which are definitely considerably bigger jobs than
    > > pointing and clicking at things.

    > My wife was using the stock Xandros with WPA-PSK just fine, you
    > insensitive clod!

    There's a load of guff about the wifi problems on various eee forums.
    People getting quite shouty about it. I think it only affects certain
    versions of the OS or certain versions of the hardware or something.
    The solution is to install a specially patched version of a "madwifi
    driver" for the eee. God knows what that's all about, but I followed
    the idiots' guide I found somewhere and it worked. A fair bit of
    freaky-deaky CLI stuff involved though.
    --
    Slower Than You

+ Reply to Thread