Our Survey Said... - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Our Survey Said... - Sinclair ; We asked over 900 people "Which is the king of computers?" http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1 It was a given really. -- G....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Our Survey Said...

  1. Our Survey Said...

    We asked over 900 people "Which is the king of computers?"

    http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1

    It was a given really.

    --
    G.

  2. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On 2008-04-20, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > We asked over 900 people "Which is the king of computers?"


    No, they didn't. They asked "What was your first home PC?"

    > http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1
    >
    > It was a given really.


    Asking Brits about their first home computer, yes, that result
    was expected.

    -Pasi
    --
    "That's all that faith requires. That we surrender ourselves to
    the possibility of hope. For that I'm content."
    -- Brother Alwyn in Babylon 5:"The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

  3. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Pasi Ojala wrote:
    > On 2008-04-20, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    >> We asked over 900 people "Which is the king of computers?"

    >
    > No, they didn't. They asked "What was your first home PC?"
    >
    >> http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1
    >>
    >> It was a given really.

    >
    > Asking Brits about their first home computer, yes, that result
    > was expected.
    >
    > -Pasi


    I though the exact same thing when I read that.


    --
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    http://rittwage.com

    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

  4. Re: Our Survey Said...

    It's about as meaningful a statistic as the one for the C64 sales in
    the Guinness Book of Records. Still, it's unlike Geoff to start a
    flame war!

  5. Re: Our Survey Said...


    Flamewar? I was merely disseminating topical information. :-)

    Talking of the Guiness Book of Records, the British Broadcasting
    Corporation reports that in Wales this weekend there has been the
    biggest assembly of Sir Clive Sinclair's C5 electric tricycle

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7354449.stm

    It does give one a warm feeling.

    --
    G.


  6. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 20, 11:57 am, Pasi Ojala wrote:
    > No, they didn't. They asked "What was your first home PC?"


    > >http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1
    > > It was a given really.


    > Asking Brits about their first home computer, yes, that result
    > was expected.


    It would be interesting to ask the follow-up question, "if you first
    home PC was the Spectrum, would you agree that your first home PC was
    the King of the Home Computers".

    Because there would be a sound basis for a misleading headline. As it
    stands, its just laughable.

  7. Re: Our Survey Said...


    "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote in message
    news:7ad512ac-3aaf-4743-a106-0bf763248cd1@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
    > We asked over 900 people "Which is the king of computers?"
    >
    > http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...678,00.htm?r=1
    >
    > It was a given really.
    >


    Slap a "made in the UK" sticker on anything and the brits will proclaim it
    to be the best.

    It never is, but that doesn't matter - if it feeds the inherent snobbery
    they will want to believe it.






  8. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 20, 12:28 pm, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > Flamewar? I was merely disseminating topical information. :-)


    Sales of computers to first time computer buyers in the UK in the
    1980's is topical information?


  9. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 20, 5:28*pm, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > Talking of the Guiness Book of Records, the British Broadcasting
    > Corporation reports that in Wales this weekend there has been the
    > biggest assembly of Sir Clive Sinclair's C5 electric tricycle


    Rats. I was in Wales this weekend. I could have gone!

  10. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 20, 10:48*pm, "Klompmeester" wrote:

    > Slap a "made in the UK" sticker on anything and the brits will proclaim it
    > to be the best.


    I've never met anyone in the UK that thought British stuff was the
    best. Adequate is usually the description. We buy it out of a
    misplaced sense of loyalty and national pride in the same way that the
    French buy French cars and the Germans buy German pop music. The
    Americans, I notice, don't buy American anymore.

  11. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On 2008-04-20, BruceMcF wrote:

    > Sales of computers to first time computer buyers in the UK in the
    > 1980's is topical information?


    In groups dealing with the computers of the 1980s then yes, it's
    topical. "Topical" doesn't mean the latest thing in the mindless
    celebrity culture that you commodore users gravitate towards...

    --
    Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  12. Re: Our Survey Said...

    "OwenBot" wrote:

    > in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    > German pop music.


    German pop music is *excellent*.

    Eq.



  13. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > "OwenBot" wrote:
    >
    >> in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    >> German pop music.

    >
    > German pop music is *excellent*.


    Then why is Germany the only country in the world that thinks david
    hasslehoff is a pop star?


    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!" |
    | in | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
    | Computer Science | - Father Jack in "Father Ted" |

  14. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 21, 1:16*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Paul E Collins wrote:
    >
    > > "OwenBot" wrote:

    >
    > >> in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    > >> German pop music.

    >
    > > German pop music is *excellent*.

    >
    > Then why is Germany the only country in the world that thinks david
    > hasslehoff is a pop star?
    >


    Well put. It is time for the country that probably produced more great
    composers than any other[1] to rest on its laurels.

    [1] http://tinyurl.com/4m3aru

  15. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Pasi Ojala wrote:

    > Asking Brits about their first home computer, yes, that result
    > was expected.


    I wonder what's next. Wait, what about running the same survey in Moscow, so
    we can finally crown the AGAT as the king of the eighties?

    Riccardo



  16. Re: Our Survey Said...


    "Paul E Collins" wrote in message
    news:5eOdnZ9qMcNdRZbVRVnyjAA@bt.com...
    > "OwenBot" wrote:
    >
    >> in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    >> German pop music.

    >
    > German pop music is *excellent*.
    >


    If you're a German, it's overproduced cheese anywhere else.



  17. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > Flamewar? I was merely disseminating topical information. :-)
    >
    > Talking of the Guiness Book of Records, the British Broadcasting
    > Corporation reports that in Wales this weekend there has been the
    > biggest assembly of Sir Clive Sinclair's C5 electric tricycle
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7354449.stm
    >
    > It does give one a warm feeling.


    In the small of the back, roughly where the motor is? Could be nasty.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  18. Re: Our Survey Said...

    On Apr 21, 3:26 am, "Riccardo Rubini" wrote:
    > Pasi Ojala wrote:
    > > Asking Brits about their first home computer, yes, that result
    > > was expected.

    >
    > I wonder what's next. Wait, what about running the same survey in Moscow, so
    > we can finally crown the AGAT as the king of the eighties?
    >
    > Riccardo


    Brazil, run it in Brazil. Finally, MSX will get the recognition it
    deserves {evil laugh}


  19. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Paul E Collins wrote:
    >> "OwenBot" wrote:
    >>
    >>> in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    >>> German pop music.

    >> German pop music is *excellent*.

    >
    > Then why is Germany the only country in the world that thinks david
    > hasslehoff is a pop star?


    The people who think this correspond to those in the U.S. who listen
    exclusively to phony "Country" Music. Every nation has its share of
    those, but anybody over here with a bit of taste hates Hasselhoff as a
    Musician (and as an actor I might say).

    Same goes for "Modern Talking" (aaaarrrrgggghhhh), and most of the
    "successful exports" such as The Scorpions. Urgh. The real all-time top
    acts over here are Die Toten Hosen, Die Ärzte, and Herbert Grönemeyer,
    all eminently listenable. For some decent newer stuff check out Wir Sind
    Helden. For raw musical power (though questionable lyrics) try the old
    Ton Steine Scherben stuff, and for a taste of GDR "East Rock", try "City".

    Stonk!
    --
    Linards Ticmanis

  20. Re: Our Survey Said...

    Klompmeester wrote on 21. April 2008:
    >
    > "Paul E Collins" wrote in message
    > news:5eOdnZ9qMcNdRZbVRVnyjAA@bt.com...
    >> "OwenBot" wrote:
    >>
    >>> in the same way that the French buy French cars and the Germans buy
    >>> German pop music.

    >>
    >> German pop music is *excellent*.
    >>

    >
    > If you're a German, it's overproduced cheese anywhere else.


    Successful cheese...
    --
    Andreas
    My Commodore 64 classic game music page at
    http://freenet-homepage.de/ankman/sid.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast