Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time - Sinclair ; Except they're not. But there's a number of Speccy ones in the list regardless. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...es.playstation Chris -- +-------------------------------------------+ | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" | | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk | | Your Sinclair: A Celebration | +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+ DISCLAIMER: I ...

  1. Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    Except they're not. But there's a number of Speccy ones in the list
    regardless.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...es.playstation

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    Someone needs to send Charlie a copy of Run Baby Run!

  3. Re: Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    Chris Young wrote:

    > Except they're not. But there's a number of Speccy ones in the list
    > regardless.
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...es.playstation

    I was all prepared to write something along the lines of "OI! BROOKER!
    NO! Your BBC4 series about the telly is an enjoyably witty commentary on
    the desperate state of modern broadcasting, but you know sod all about
    videogames. Shut it, you foul mouthed heir to the mantle of Ludovic
    Kennedy off of 'Did You See?'"

    But actually it's a rather good list. I never knew the PC Engine was so
    disgusting.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    In article <48064185$0$6435$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com>,
    dss@ukonline.co.uk says...

    > I was all prepared to write something along the lines of "OI! BROOKER!
    > NO! Your BBC4 series about the telly is an enjoyably witty commentary on
    > the desperate state of modern broadcasting, but you know sod all about
    > videogames.

    Which is why he was given a jobs of games reviewer, columnist (Poo
    Corner/Sick Notes) and did the Cybertwats cartoon strip series for PC
    Zone in the mid-90s :-p

    one of his strips was pretty controversial

    "In February 1998, one of Brooker's one-shot cartoons caused the
    magazine to be pulled from the shelves of many British newsagents. The
    cartoon was entitled ''Helmut Werstler's Cruelty Zoo'' and professed to
    be an advert for a theme park created by a Teutonic psychologist for
    children to take out their violent impulses on animals rather than
    humans. It was accompanied by photoshopped pictures of children smashing
    the skulls of monkeys with hammers, jumping on a badger with a
    pitchfork, and chainsawing an orangutan, among other things. The
    original joke was supposed to be at the expense of the Tomb Raider
    games, known at the time for the sheer number of animals you could kill.
    The original title, ''Lara Croft's Cruelty Zoo'', was changed for
    copyright reasons and so the cartoon's original intended object of
    humour was not realised."

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."

  5. Re: Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    Mal F wrote:

    > In article <48064185$0$6435$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com>,
    > dss@ukonline.co.uk says...
    >
    >> I was all prepared to write something along the lines of "OI! BROOKER!
    >> NO! Your BBC4 series about the telly is an enjoyably witty commentary on
    >> the desperate state of modern broadcasting, but you know sod all about
    >> videogames.

    > Which is why he was given a jobs of games reviewer, columnist (Poo
    > Corner/Sick Notes) and did the Cybertwats cartoon strip series for PC
    > Zone in the mid-90s :-p

    Well, I didn't know that. I mean, who read PC Zone in the mid-90s? Not
    me, that's for sure.

    That's why the 90s aren't around any more. Lack of interest.

    > one of his strips was pretty controversial
    >
    > "In February 1998, one of Brooker's one-shot cartoons caused the
    > magazine to be pulled from the shelves of many British newsagents. The
    > cartoon was entitled ''Helmut Werstler's Cruelty Zoo'' and professed to
    > be an advert for a theme park created by a Teutonic psychologist for
    > children to take out their violent impulses on animals rather than
    > humans. It was accompanied by photoshopped pictures of children smashing
    > the skulls of monkeys with hammers, jumping on a badger with a
    > pitchfork, and chainsawing an orangutan, among other things. The
    > original joke was supposed to be at the expense of the Tomb Raider
    > games, known at the time for the sheer number of animals you could kill.
    > The original title, ''Lara Croft's Cruelty Zoo'', was changed for
    > copyright reasons and so the cartoon's original intended object of
    > humour was not realised."

    Tsk. Copyright, eh?

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Charlie Brooker's best video games of all time

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:28:44 +0100, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > That's why the 90s aren't around any more. Lack of interest.

    I hear the 20th Century was cancelled a year early as a result. I wasn't
    paying attention - never upgraded. TBH the 90's didn't really offer me
    anything by way of computing, rolos or crisps that the 80's didn't so
    never got round to it.

+ Reply to Thread