    Computer is defined as processor+memory+I/O system. Does sim card match this
    terms and can it be called a computer ?

  2. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On 2008-04-09, Bohus Král wrote:

    > Computer is defined as processor+memory+I/O system. Does sim card match this
    > terms and can it be called a computer ?

    Yes if you want, but you can be classed as a computer too. It depends
    on whether you want to use language to play games or communicate.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  3. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On 2008-04-09, Bohus Král wrote:
    > Computer is defined as processor+memory+I/O system. Does sim card match this
    > terms and can it be called a computer ?

    Well you could, but more usefully it'd be called an embedded system. We
    don't call microcontrollers computers, even though a microcontroller has
    memory and IO and processor. In every day language, computer usually
    refers to a general purpose device, rather than a single purpose
    embedded system.

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  4. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-04-09, Bohus Král wrote:
    >
    >> Computer is defined as processor+memory+I/O system. Does sim card match this
    >> terms and can it be called a computer ?

    > Yes if you want, but you can be classed as a computer too. It depends
    > on whether you want to use language to play games or communicate.

    Of course computers were originally people that made calculations before
    the electronic machines became widespread

    Fred

  5. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Not a complete computer as it has no way to run or interface without the
    phone etc. It often has software on it including something called a toolkit.
    Most of these are supposed to be compatible with any phone, but recently it
    surfaced that some Virgin Sims will not work in the RBNIB Owasys phone due
    to an incompatible toolkit.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Bohus Král" wrote in message
    > All I found on wikipedia is this :
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_card
    >
    > Computer is defined as processor+memory+I/O system. Does sim card match
    > this terms and can it be called a computer ?

  6. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:33:42 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

    > Not a complete computer as it has no way to run or interface without the
    > phone etc. It often has software on it including something called a
    > toolkit. Most of these are supposed to be compatible with any phone, but
    > recently it surfaced that some Virgin Sims will not work in the RBNIB
    > Owasys phone due to an incompatible toolkit.

    To invoke divine pedantry, the SIM has I/O through its I/O lines, thus
    making it a computer so there.

    I've also successfully used Ian Rawlings as a computer, although he's not
    Turing complete and the chuntey is exceptionally strong within him.

  7. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On 2008-04-17, SnakeOilSteve wrote:

    > To invoke divine pedantry, the SIM has I/O through its I/O lines, thus
    > making it a computer so there.
    >
    > I've also successfully used Ian Rawlings as a computer, although he's not
    > Turing complete and the chuntey is exceptionally strong within him.

    He also has extremely smelly dumps that are horrible to sift through.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  8. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...

    > On 2008-04-17, SnakeOilSteve wrote:
    >
    >> To invoke divine pedantry, the SIM has I/O through its I/O lines, thus
    >> making it a computer so there.
    >>
    >> I've also successfully used Ian Rawlings as a computer, although he's not
    >> Turing complete and the chuntey is exceptionally strong within him.

    > He also has extremely smelly dumps that are horrible to sift through.

    Then why do you sift through them? Are you still looking for that small coin
    you swallowed as a child? >;-p
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you don't pay your exorcist,
    will you become repossessed?

  9. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On 2008-05-21, Sam Gillett wrote:

    > "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...
    >> He also has extremely smelly dumps that are horrible to sift through.

    > Then why do you sift through them? Are you still looking for that small coin
    > you swallowed as a child? >;-p

    Well, given that it took you a month to mull that one over, I think I
    might have to ponder a sufficiently witty answer for quite some time..

    BTW the Berlin Wall fell a few years ago, and the Spectrum gave way to
    the QL, a few other things happened as well!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  10. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > BTW the Berlin Wall fell a few years ago

    EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    That's east german engineering for you...
    Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  11. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >> BTW the Berlin Wall fell a few years ago

    > EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    > That's east german engineering for you...
    > Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?

    it clearly wasn't the fault of communism in general.
    after all China's wall has stood the test of time

  12. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    "Guesser" wrote ...

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >>> BTW the Berlin Wall fell a few years ago

    >> EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    >> That's east german engineering for you...
    >> Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?

    > it clearly wasn't the fault of communism in general.
    > after all China's wall has stood the test of time

    But, the Great Wall of China was built _before_ Communism came along.

    And, the Berlin Wall didn't exactly fall down. It was torn down by the
    people of Berlin who were celebrating the fall of Communism. They really
    looked like they were enjoying themselves too! :-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Why is the third hand on a watch
    called the second hand?

  13. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...

    > On 2008-05-21, Sam Gillett wrote:
    >
    >> "Ian Rawlings" wrote ...
    >>> He also has extremely smelly dumps that are horrible to sift through.

    >> Then why do you sift through them? Are you still looking for that small
    >> coin you swallowed as a child? >;-p

    > Well, given that it took you a month to mull that one over, I think I
    > might have to ponder a sufficiently witty answer for quite some time..

    Do let us know when you think of something. >:-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    UFO's are real.
    It's the Air Force that doesn't exist!

  14. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Sam Gillett wrote:
    > "Guesser" wrote ...
    >
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>> EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    >>> That's east german engineering for you...
    >>> Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?

    >> it clearly wasn't the fault of communism in general.
    >> after all China's wall has stood the test of time

    > But, the Great Wall of China was built _before_ Communism came along.
    >
    > And, the Berlin Wall didn't exactly fall down. It was torn down by the
    > people of Berlin who were celebrating the fall of Communism. They really
    > looked like they were enjoying themselves too! :-)

    someone's had a sense of humour failure...

  15. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Guesser wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >>> BTW the Berlin Wall fell a few years ago

    >> EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    >> That's east german engineering for you...
    >> Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?

    > it clearly wasn't the fault of communism in general.
    > after all China's wall has stood the test of time

    China's wall was built by an imperial regime, not communists.

  16. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Guesser wrote:
    >> And, the Berlin Wall didn't exactly fall down. It was torn down by the
    >> people of Berlin who were celebrating the fall of Communism. They really
    >> looked like they were enjoying themselves too! :-)

    > someone's had a sense of humour failure...

    That's mr gillett for you, must be something to do with not growning up with
    a funky skillo computer magazine like your sinclair.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  17. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Guesser wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>> EEEP...was anyone hurt...
    >>> That's east german engineering for you...
    >>> Suppose they prolly got the materials to rebuild it by now?

    >> it clearly wasn't the fault of communism in general.
    >> after all China's wall has stood the test of time

    > China's wall was built by an imperial regime, not communists.

    I saw a programme about it last night. It's in a shocking state. Bits
    fallin' off, dirty great holes in it. Defensive wall like that, 's gotta
    be *maintained*, innit? Wind, rain, maraudin' Mongol 'ordes, they all
    take their toll. No idea, some people. 'S gonna need all new pointin'
    for a start, and that'll cost 'em, I can tell you.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  18. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    news:4843288b$1$30634$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...

    > I saw a programme about it last night. It's in a shocking state. Bits
    > fallin' off, dirty great holes in it. Defensive wall like that, 's gotta
    > be *maintained*, innit? Wind, rain, maraudin' Mongol 'ordes, they all take
    > their toll. No idea, some people. 'S gonna need all new pointin' for a
    > start, and that'll cost 'em, I can tell you.

    I think similar things every time I cross the Forth Road Bridge.

    Len
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk

  19. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:09:20 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Llama-Wax Len:

    > > I saw a programme about it last night. It's in a shocking state. Bits
    > > fallin' off, dirty great holes in it. Defensive wall like that, 's gotta
    > > be *maintained*, innit? Wind, rain, maraudin' Mongol 'ordes, they all take
    > > their toll. No idea, some people. 'S gonna need all new pointin' for a
    > > start, and that'll cost 'em, I can tell you.

    > I think similar things every time I cross the Forth Road Bridge.

    Yeah, they must have a big problem with maurading Mon... hold on..
    LEN??! Where have you been?!

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  20. Re: OT is SIM card a computer ?

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:09:20 +0100, "Llama-Wax Len"
    wrote:

    >"Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    >news:4843288b$1$30634$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >>
    >> I saw a programme about it last night. It's in a shocking state. Bits
    >> fallin' off, dirty great holes in it. Defensive wall like that, 's gotta
    >> be *maintained*, innit? Wind, rain, maraudin' Mongol 'ordes, they all take
    >> their toll. No idea, some people. 'S gonna need all new pointin' for a
    >> start, and that'll cost 'em, I can tell you.

    >I think similar things every time I cross the Forth Road Bridge.

    They're supposed to be thinking about a new one, though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast