RS232 and software questions - Sinclair

This is a discussion on RS232 and software questions - Sinclair ; There are several things that I would like to do using the RS232 port on the 128K models, but I have no idea where to start. -Program on Spectrum side to export a block of data to the PC. Program ...

  1. RS232 and software questions

    There are several things that I would like to do using the RS232 port
    on the 128K models, but I have no idea where to start.

    -Program on Spectrum side to export a block of data to the PC. Program
    on the PC side to receive it and save it to the desired directory. The
    idea, among others, is to use low level routines to make images of +3
    disks and save them on the PC in EDSK format. This way we stop the
    problem of having to use a PC or Amiga to preserve 3" disks.*

    -Program to work on two or more Spectrums, synchronizing a software
    clock that could be used for a number of applications that required
    all Spectrums to work at the same time. I'm not talking about
    Sinclair's IF1-style, slow networking. The data transfer between
    Spectrums would be minimal, only when synchronizing was needed. We
    could, for example, use this program to playback the new Turbo Sound
    FM tunes, which can't be played by Spectrum users who don't have the
    interface, but could be easily played if Spectrums were joined by a
    simple cable and some software. We could also compose and play .ay
    tunes that wouldn't be limited to 3 channels or interfaces, but to the
    number of Spectrums networked. Imagine using that on demos!

    notes:

    The problem with the existing available RS232 apps:

    1-Most of them were meant to be used for the Interface 1, not the
    128K's RS232 ports;
    2-They're not user-friendly, or were not designed to be modified;
    3-They were designed to transfer snapshots, not export data;
    4-Some of them only work one-way (PC>Spectrum)
    5-I'm not a programmer. I wouldn't know how to adapt these programs.

    If I could achieve one of these goals, the software could be
    configured via a menu to allow the user to select which type of RS232
    port to use - IF1, custom interface, 128K's port, etc. Any suggestions
    would be appreciated.

    *The ideal solution would be to take advantage of current IDE
    interfaces. Instead of using RS232, interfaces such as the DivIDE
    could have firmware just for imaging purposes, and images would be
    stored in CF cards, for example.

  2. Re: RS232 and software questions

    There are various tools out there for the 128's RS232 port. Most are
    listed in the WoS utilities section.

  3. Re: RS232 and software questions

    I think as in many things, the lack of a dedicated Uart chip controlling the
    rs232s in Spectrums, is the downfall of many good ideas.

    I mean, stop the z80, stop the lot is the way it all works.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "zxbruno" wrote in message
    > There are several things that I would like to do using the RS232 port
    > on the 128K models, but I have no idea where to start.
    >
    > -Program on Spectrum side to export a block of data to the PC. Program
    > on the PC side to receive it and save it to the desired directory. The
    > idea, among others, is to use low level routines to make images of +3
    > disks and save them on the PC in EDSK format. This way we stop the
    > problem of having to use a PC or Amiga to preserve 3" disks.*
    >
    > -Program to work on two or more Spectrums, synchronizing a software
    > clock that could be used for a number of applications that required
    > all Spectrums to work at the same time. I'm not talking about
    > Sinclair's IF1-style, slow networking. The data transfer between
    > Spectrums would be minimal, only when synchronizing was needed. We
    > could, for example, use this program to playback the new Turbo Sound
    > FM tunes, which can't be played by Spectrum users who don't have the
    > interface, but could be easily played if Spectrums were joined by a
    > simple cable and some software. We could also compose and play .ay
    > tunes that wouldn't be limited to 3 channels or interfaces, but to the
    > number of Spectrums networked. Imagine using that on demos!
    >
    > notes:
    >
    > The problem with the existing available RS232 apps:
    >
    > 1-Most of them were meant to be used for the Interface 1, not the
    > 128K's RS232 ports;
    > 2-They're not user-friendly, or were not designed to be modified;
    > 3-They were designed to transfer snapshots, not export data;
    > 4-Some of them only work one-way (PC>Spectrum)
    > 5-I'm not a programmer. I wouldn't know how to adapt these programs.
    >
    > If I could achieve one of these goals, the software could be
    > configured via a menu to allow the user to select which type of RS232
    > port to use - IF1, custom interface, 128K's port, etc. Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > *The ideal solution would be to take advantage of current IDE
    > interfaces. Instead of using RS232, interfaces such as the DivIDE
    > could have firmware just for imaging purposes, and images would be
    > stored in CF cards, for example.

  4. Re: RS232 and software questions

    It's true, all the RS232 stuff in the 128 is handled in software. On
    the upside this means you can hijack the AUX/MIDI port and use it as a
    second RS232 port. Also, if you're really careful, you can drive the
    bit rate higher than normal.

  5. Re: RS232 and software questions

    I'm not sure if I follow. Does this mean my ideas would be too
    difficult to implement? :|

  6. Re: RS232 and software questions

    On Apr 9, 2:56*am, zxbruno wrote:
    > I'm not sure if I follow. Does this mean my ideas would be too
    > difficult to implement? :|

    No, it just means you need to persevere.

+ Reply to Thread