Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair ; The more I think about it, the more I reckon that the Asus eee is the modern day Spectrum! Just as the Speccy was designed to offer the bare minimum that could be classed as a usable computer with colour ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    The more I think about it, the more I reckon that the Asus eee is the
    modern day Spectrum! Just as the Speccy was designed to offer the bare
    minimum that could be classed as a usable computer with colour and
    sound and a "proper" keyboard, so the eee seems to be the modern
    equivalent, offering the bare minimum that makes a portable computer
    that can surf the web and open office applications. And didn't
    Sinclair used to dream of making portables with his microvision screen
    technology?!

    If I was Amstrad (or Sky, or whoever it is who owns the Sinclair
    trademark now), I'd partner with one of these firms trying to release
    eee clones and brand it as a SInclair, install a speccy-ified version
    of Linux, dig Uncle Clive out for a press launch, and make a killing!

    Just a thought!

  2. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 31 Mar
    2008 03:42:59 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk AndrewMalcolmGale@googlemail.com
    fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

    >If I was Amstrad (or Sky, or whoever it is who owns the Sinclair
    >trademark now), I'd partner with one of these firms trying to release
    >eee clones and brand it as a SInclair, install a speccy-ified version
    >of Linux, dig Uncle Clive out for a press launch, and make a killing!

    They're *already* making a killing. The demand for the Eee has far exceeded
    expectations.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  3. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    And there we are, I've never heard of it.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "deKay" wrote in message
    > Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 31
    > Mar
    > 2008 03:42:59 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    > comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk AndrewMalcolmGale@googlemail.com
    > fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
    >
    >>If I was Amstrad (or Sky, or whoever it is who owns the Sinclair
    >>trademark now), I'd partner with one of these firms trying to release
    >>eee clones and brand it as a SInclair, install a speccy-ified version
    >>of Linux, dig Uncle Clive out for a press launch, and make a killing!

    > They're *already* making a killing. The demand for the Eee has far
    > exceeded
    > expectations.
    >
    > deKay
    > --
    > Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    > Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    > Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog
    > My computer runs at 3.5MHz and I'm proud of that

  4. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Well, it's a basically a very small x86 laptop with a 7" screen that
    costs 230 for the 512MB version with 2GB of flash storage and a
    version of the Xandros distribution of Linux. It has wifi, ethernet,
    SD card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA out (up to 1024x768). It can also run
    Windows XP. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but I manage
    and I have fairly large hands.

    On Mar 31, 1:53 pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > And there we are, I've never heard of it.
    >
    > Brian

  5. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    In article
    <7ebaed4f-2230-4f67-9ea0-a2855c59e311@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    OwenBot wrote:
    > Well, it's a basically a very small x86 laptop with a 7" screen that
    > costs 230 for the 512MB version with 2GB of flash storage and a
    > version of the Xandros distribution of Linux. It has wifi, ethernet,
    > SD card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA out (up to 1024x768). It can also run
    > Windows XP. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but I manage
    > and I have fairly large hands.

    I've got one, it's a brilliant computer but, what you see is what you get,
    it is rather limited but soooo cheap.

    --
    Thanks,
    Cheatwarrior.

  6. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Cheatwarrior did eloquently scribble:
    > In article
    > <7ebaed4f-2230-4f67-9ea0-a2855c59e311@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > OwenBot wrote:
    >> Well, it's a basically a very small x86 laptop with a 7" screen that
    >> costs 230 for the 512MB version with 2GB of flash storage and a
    >> version of the Xandros distribution of Linux. It has wifi, ethernet,
    >> SD card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA out (up to 1024x768). It can also run
    >> Windows XP. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but I manage
    >> and I have fairly large hands.

    > I've got one, it's a brilliant computer but, what you see is what you get,
    > it is rather limited but soooo cheap.

    You can still install more software can't you?
    If it uses xandros can't you install extra stuff from the xandros
    repositories? Or is there no room?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  7. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    > You can still install more software can't you?
    > If it uses xandros can't you install extra stuff from the xandros
    > repositories? Or is there no room?

    Yes, but it is MUCH easier by unlocking Full Screen mode, which is rather
    straight forward if you have experience with computers.

    --
    Thanks,
    Cheatwarrior.

  8. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Well, it's a basically a very small x86 laptop with a 7" screen that
    > costs 230 for the 512MB version with 2GB of flash storage and a
    > version of the Xandros distribution of Linux. It has wifi, ethernet,
    > SD card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA out (up to 1024x768). It can also run
    > Windows XP. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but I manage
    > and I have fairly large hands.

    It's 230 for the 4GB version (although I paid 199 for mine), and can
    do 1920x1440 (and probably higher) on the external VGA port.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  9. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Cheatwarrior did eloquently scribble:
    >> In article
    >> <7ebaed4f-2230-4f67-9ea0-a2855c59e311@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    >> OwenBot wrote:
    >>> Well, it's a basically a very small x86 laptop with a 7" screen that
    >>> costs 230 for the 512MB version with 2GB of flash storage and a
    >>> version of the Xandros distribution of Linux. It has wifi, ethernet,
    >>> SD card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA out (up to 1024x768). It can also run
    >>> Windows XP. The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but I manage
    >>> and I have fairly large hands.

    >> I've got one, it's a brilliant computer but, what you see is what you get,
    >> it is rather limited but soooo cheap.

    > You can still install more software can't you?
    > If it uses xandros can't you install extra stuff from the xandros
    > repositories? Or is there no room?

    You can add other repositories and apt-get all you want

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  10. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Well the 2GB one is 230 on the high street. Anyway, it works. There's
    not much room to download stuff on it though. The 4GB one would be a
    better bet. The 2GB one doesn't even have Java installed by default.

  11. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 1 Apr
    2008 02:09:51 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk OwenBot fornis
    do marikano es bono tan el:

    >Well the 2GB one is 230 on the high street.

    Is it?!

    Even PC World have them for 199. Don't fancy your high street much!

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  12. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    --
    Thanks,
    Cheatwarrior.

  13. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 01 Apr
    2008 10:58:00 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk Cheatwarrior fornis do
    marikano es bono tan el:

    >I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    >GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    >Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    Just get a 4GB SD card. That's what everyone[1] else does.

    [1] Well, most[2].
    [2] Some.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  14. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 Cheatwarrior wrote:

    >I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    >GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    >Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    I've been considering an Eee for a while now, and an external HDD and/or
    a couple of memory cards was going to be my plan too, but then Packard
    Bell brought out the Easynote XS.

    OK, so it's not in quite the same "cheap as chips" league as the Eee but
    when you factor in what would be required to bring the Eee's hardware up
    to similar levels (not to mention the XP licence) it starts to look like
    the better bet. The RRP is 350 but I'd expect online stores to be
    discounting the XS or one of its clones before long.

    As for the question posed by the Subject line, back in the early 90s I
    considered my Psion Series 3a to be the spiritual successor to my old
    Speccy. It was small, turned on and off instantly and had a great
    built-in programming language. Using the 3a always left me with the
    impression that, had Sir Clive Sinclair been producing portable machines
    at the time, it's exactly the sort of machine he would have come up
    with.

    The later Psions, the 5 and 7 Series, always felt more like business
    tools and less like enthusiasts' machines even though they kept the same
    programming language (and could run a pretty good Spectrum emulator). Of
    course the whole range was designed with business use in mind, so
    perhaps its unfair of me to criticise on that count. I wonder how many
    Psion users never even opened up the programming manual?

    --
    Kev
    "Many dead animals in the past changed to fossils, while others preferred

  15. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Kevin Reilly did eloquently scribble:
    > On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 Cheatwarrior wrote:

    >>I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    >>GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    >>Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    > I've been considering an Eee for a while now, and an external HDD and/or
    > a couple of memory cards was going to be my plan too, but then Packard
    > Bell brought out the Easynote XS.

    > OK, so it's not in quite the same "cheap as chips" league as the Eee but
    > when you factor in what would be required to bring the Eee's hardware up
    > to similar levels (not to mention the XP licence) it starts to look like
    > the better bet. The RRP is 350 but I'd expect online stores to be
    > discounting the XS or one of its clones before long.

    XP license?
    Why would you need an XP license?

  16. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Kevin Reilly did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 Cheatwarrior wrote:

    >>> I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    >>> GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    >>> Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    >> I've been considering an Eee for a while now, and an external HDD and/or
    >> a couple of memory cards was going to be my plan too, but then Packard
    >> Bell brought out the Easynote XS.

    >> OK, so it's not in quite the same "cheap as chips" league as the Eee but
    >> when you factor in what would be required to bring the Eee's hardware up
    >> to similar levels (not to mention the XP licence) it starts to look like
    >> the better bet. The RRP is 350 but I'd expect online stores to be
    >> discounting the XS or one of its clones before long.

    > XP license?
    > Why would you need an XP license?

    To run his company's badly written, proprietary financial software and
    VPN manager maybe?

  17. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 1, 12:34 pm, deKay wrote:
    > Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 01 Apr
    > 2008 10:58:00 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    > yawatina tan reek esk Cheatwarrior fornis do
    > marikano es bono tan el:
    >
    > >I was rather dissapointed when I noticed that the 4GB version only had 1.3
    > >GBs free out of the box. When I get cash, I'llget a little portable USB
    > >Hard Drive for it, should be a lot more useful (and faster) then.

    > Just get a 4GB SD card. That's what everyone[1] else does.
    >
    > [1] Well, most[2].
    > [2] Some.

    Well I did. Just make sure it's got the SDHC logo on it, cos
    apparently there are some dodgy cards doing the rounds. And for the
    record I bought one from Currys in Oxford Street, London, so that may
    be why I paid over the odds. Plus they only had 3 left in stock.

  18. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    wrote:

    > XP license?
    > Why would you need an XP license?

    Really, why do you always ask irritating fake questions instead of just
    saying what you mean?

    "XP licence? I personally dislike Windows!"

    Oh, I see, perhaps it would start to get a bit dull.

    Eq.

  19. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Well I did. Just make sure it's got the SDHC logo on it, cos
    > apparently there are some dodgy cards doing the rounds. And for the
    > record I bought one from Currys in Oxford Street, London, so that may
    > be why I paid over the odds. Plus they only had 3 left in stock.

    I picked up a 16GB on eBay for around the same price as a 4GB advertised
    on the Curry's web site, logo and all.

    Just sayin', is all.

  20. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 1, 12:34 pm, deKay wrote:

    > Just get a 4GB SD card. That's what everyone[1] else does.
    >
    > [1] Well, most[2].
    > [2] Some.

    Last I looked, a 4Gb flash drive (U3-compliant) cost 20; an 80Gb USB
    hard drive cost 40. Both at Staples, both with the traditional 5p
    off. [For good behaviour? -- Ed]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast