Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair ; On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:57:39 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin' to MC Ian Rawlings: > > I don't think any laptops have a hibernate mode that is that good! > > The RAM chips still need a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:57:39 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Ian Rawlings:

    > > I don't think any laptops have a hibernate mode that is that good!
    > > The RAM chips still need a bit of power to retain their contents, so
    > > you need an alternative power source (AC, or a second battery) while
    > > you make the switch.

    > No, that's a "suspend" mode, Hibernate mode writes memory and context
    > to disc and does allow you to remove all power, suspend mode on the
    > other hand just shuts down everything other than the RAM refresh and
    > perhaps a few things like wake-on-lan or other events intended to be
    > used to wake it up, and does need some power as a result.

    Oops, sorry, you're right of course.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    news:47f93346$0$6435$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...
    > OwenBot wrote:
    >
    >> Asus have just launched an SDK and there's an EeePC appliance for
    >> VMware so it looks like I can build everything on my Mac and just port
    >> it across. There's a warning about using non-Xandros repositories so I
    >> was unable to install the Ubuntu version of FUSE/libspectrum. 2 hours
    >> does seem a bit short, especially when I just got more than 8.5 hours
    >> out of my iPod in continuous play (17 episodes of the HitchHiker radio
    >> series) but maybe you can buy a second battery.

    > There's a third-party Arch repo for the (w)Eee PC, if you're interested
    > in a bit of fiddling (f'narr!):
    > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...he_Asus_EEE_PC
    >
    > It might work out a bit lighter than Xandros.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan Snowden.

    Well, I've ordered an Asus Eee PC-L. It says this model has 1 Gig of RAM.
    What success have people had running Spectrum emulators? Will FUSE work or
    will I have to install Java?

    Peter

  3. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 7, 2:22 am, "Peter Barns" wrote:
    > "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    >http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...ux_on_the_Asus...
    >
    > > It might work out a bit lighter than Xandros.

    Unfortunately that would mean giving up the Easy Desktop mode which my
    wife uses. And it's her machine.

    > What success have people had running Spectrum emulators? Will FUSE work or

    FUSE works, but you have to build it (and libspectrum) yourself.
    Details are available on the EeePC user forums. The problem is that on
    the 2GB (SSD, not RAM) model, there isn't much room left to add the
    additional stuff necessary (g++) to build the software.

    > will I have to install Java?

    Java is installed by default on all but the 2G surf models.

  4. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    >> What success have people had running Spectrum emulators? Will FUSE work
    >> or

    > FUSE works, but you have to build it (and libspectrum) yourself.
    > Details are available on the Eee PC user forums. The problem is that on
    > the 2GB (SSD, not RAM) model, there isn't much room left to add the
    > additional stuff necessary (g++) to build the software.

    Presumably that means compiling the source code, will g++ do this? Also,
    where are the EeePC user forums, there don't seem to be any Usenet Eee PC
    newsgroups at present.
    My Eee PC still hasn't arrived yet :-(

  5. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    "Peter Barns" wrote in message

    >>> What success have people had running Spectrum emulators? Will FUSE work
    >>> or

    >> FUSE works, but you have to build it (and libspectrum) yourself.
    >> Details are available on the Eee PC user forums. The problem is that on
    >> the 2GB (SSD, not RAM) model, there isn't much room left to add the
    >> additional stuff necessary (g++) to build the software.
    >>

    > Presumably that means compiling the source code, will g++ do this? Also,
    > where are the EeePC user forums, there don't seem to be any Usenet Eee PC
    > newsgroups at present.
    > My Eee PC still hasn't arrived yet :-(

    Just found the forums at http://www.eeeuser.com

    Also, instructions for installing Fuse
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:instal...mulator?s=fuse

    Peter

  6. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    > "Peter Barns" wrote in message

    >>> FUSE works, but you have to build it (and libspectrum) yourself.
    >>> Details are available on the Eee PC user forums. The problem is that on
    >>> the 2GB (SSD, not RAM) model, there isn't much room left to add the
    >>> additional stuff necessary (g++) to build the software.
    >>>

    >> Presumably that means compiling the source code, will g++ do this? Also,
    >> where are the EeePC user forums, there don't seem to be any Usenet Eee PC
    >> newsgroups at present.
    >> My Eee PC still hasn't arrived yet :-(

    > Just found the forums at http://www.eeeuser.com
    >
    > Also, instructions for installing Fuse
    > http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:instal...mulator?s=fuse

    Hmmm, the disclaimer is a little scary. Where C programming is concerned I
    didn't get any further than 'Hello World' and that was 20 years ago! Could I
    really damage my Eee PC software setup? Most of the instructions seem to
    work from the command line apart from editing out the bug.

    Peter

  7. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Before the 900 came out I thought I'd probably be upgrading. But on
    reflection I think the 701 is the better model. Ok, the internal drive
    is small, but you can boot off the SD disk and the RAM is upgradeable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3