Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor? - Sinclair ; On Apr 1, 8:10 pm, fuzzix wrote: > OwenBot wrote: > > Well I did. Just make sure it's got the SDHC logo on it, cos > > apparently there are some dodgy cards doing the rounds. And for the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 1, 8:10 pm, fuzzix wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > Well I did. Just make sure it's got the SDHC logo on it, cos
    > > apparently there are some dodgy cards doing the rounds. And for the
    > > record I bought one from Currys in Oxford Street, London, so that may
    > > be why I paid over the odds. Plus they only had 3 left in stock.

    > I picked up a 16GB on eBay for around the same price as a 4GB advertised
    > on the Curry's web site, logo and all.
    >
    > Just sayin', is all.

    There isn't a 16GB EeePC as far as I'm aware. So I guess you're
    talking about the SDHC card. I picked up the 4GB one in Turkey for a
    very reasonable price. It's a SanDisk one and it also came with a
    handy USB adaptor.

  2. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    "OwenBot" wrote ...

    > There isn't a 16GB EeePC as far as I'm aware. So I guess you're
    > talking about the SDHC card. I picked up the 4GB one in Turkey for a
    > very reasonable price. It's a SanDisk one and it also came with a
    > handy USB adaptor.

    Having USB capabilities is important these days. Most new printers require a
    USB port. Plus there are all kinds of other USB accessories. Such as USB
    memory sticks, external hard drives that connect to a USB port, cameras,
    wireless adaptors... the list is almost endless!

    A possibility on the 16 GB EeePC; it might have been upgraded by the original
    owner. Back in the days of Win95 I bought a 16MB machine. By the time I
    finished with it, it had 128MB.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  3. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Sam Gillett wrote:

    > A possibility on the 16 GB EeePC; it might have been upgraded by the
    > original owner. Back in the days of Win95 I bought a 16MB machine.
    > By the time I finished with it, it had 128MB.

    For proper useneting... hmmm, I don't know. I would rather type on a
    real keyboard.

    If its long time durability proves, then it might be a delicate and
    cheap (low energy) alternative to many user, hanging for hours behind a
    screen.
    A USB Keyboard and Mouse, and a Monitor is connected quickly!

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  4. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > There isn't a 16GB EeePC as far as I'm aware. So I guess you're
    > talking about the SDHC card. I picked up the 4GB one in Turkey for a
    > very reasonable price. It's a SanDisk one and it also came with a
    > handy USB adaptor.

    Ah, you bought the Eee at Curry's? Why didn't you say that?

  5. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Quoting Kevin Reilly's message of Tuesday:

    > The later Psions, the 5 and 7 Series, always felt more like business tools
    > and less like enthusiasts' machines even though they kept the same
    > programming language (and could run a pretty good Spectrum emulator). Of
    > course the whole range was designed with business use in mind, so perhaps its
    > unfair of me to criticise on that count. I wonder how many Psion users never
    > even opened up the programming manual?

    After the 3a, you didn't even get a programming manual on paper, you had
    to print it from the supplied CD. And the final machine, the Revo,
    didn't even have the programming editor built in.

    For much of the time, my Series 7 is my Speccy.

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  6. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 4, 6:38 am, fuzzix wrote:

    > Ah, you bought the Eee at Curry's? Why didn't you say that?

    I thought I did. Obviously I wasn't clear enough on that point. So
    anyhoo... How tricky do you think upgrading the SSD is going to be? I
    know the RAM can be upgraded to 2GB - but the default Xandros install
    can only handle 1GB (I'm probably going to inherit the 2G surf when my
    wife upgrades to the Eee 900).

  7. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:

    > I thought I did. Obviously I wasn't clear enough on that point. So
    > anyhoo... How tricky do you think upgrading the SSD is going to be?

    Since it's soldered to the board, I'd imagine quite difficult.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  8. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 5, 10:46 am, deKay gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > I thought I did. Obviously I wasn't clear enough on that point. So
    > > anyhoo... How tricky do you think upgrading the SSD is going to be?

    > Since it's soldered to the board, I'd imagine quite difficult.

    Good thing it can boot from the SD slot then. I'll probably need to
    stick some more RAM in it at some point. Hope that's not soldered in
    the 2G surf.

  9. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:

    > On Apr 5, 10:46 am, deKay > gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >> OwenBot wrote:
    >>> I thought I did. Obviously I wasn't clear enough on that point. So
    >>> anyhoo... How tricky do you think upgrading the SSD is going to be?

    >> Since it's soldered to the board, I'd imagine quite difficult.

    > Good thing it can boot from the SD slot then. I'll probably need to
    > stick some more RAM in it at some point. Hope that's not soldered in
    > the 2G surf.

    It is.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  10. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 03:42:59 -0700, AndrewMalcolmGale wrote:

    Yes. It is. If my wife will let me on her 4G. Which she won't.

    So I'll have to get one myself then.

    You won't catch me saying that about a MacBook Air!

  11. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Apr 5, 1:49 pm, deKay gaming.invalid.org.nospam.uk.invalid> wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:

    > >> Since it's soldered to the board, I'd imagine quite difficult.

    > > Good thing it can boot from the SD slot then. I'll probably need to
    > > stick some more RAM in it at some point. Hope that's not soldered in
    > > the 2G surf.

    > It is.

    Bugger. Anyone feel like adding FUSE to one of the Debian repositories
    then, cos frankly I'm not sure there's going to be any room left once
    I've stuck g++ on this thing. I've already had to install Java and the
    advanced desktop.

  12. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On 2008-04-05, SnakeOilSteve wrote:

    > You won't catch me saying that about a MacBook Air!

    I'd quite like a macbook air! Not enough to pay more than 200 for
    one though.. And I'd have to be able to install Gentoo on it..

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  13. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:38:08 -0700, OwenBot wrote:

    > Bugger. Anyone feel like adding FUSE to one of the Debian repositories
    > then, cos frankly I'm not sure there's going to be any room left once
    > I've stuck g++ on this thing. I've already had to install Java and the
    > advanced desktop.

    FUSE is on getdeb:
    http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=fuse
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  14. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:41:49 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-04-05, SnakeOilSteve wrote:
    >
    >> You won't catch me saying that about a MacBook Air!

    > I'd quite like a macbook air! Not enough to pay more than £200 for one
    > though.. And I'd have to be able to install Gentoo on it..

    I haven't tried on the Asus but if you were to build packages on another
    host and bring them across I've no doubt Gentoo would run like the
    proverbial off a shovel.

    So far the biggest negatives are:

    Keyboard's a little too small, better than the 48k but not as good as the
    48k+
    Touchpad and mouse buttons feel a bit 'cheap'
    Er... Doesn't fit in a manila envelope
    Screen resolution means horizontal browsing is necessary now and then
    Lack of disk medium means tape loading times are a bit long, although I
    guess I could use a USB key instead...

    The positives are:
    Bang/Buck ratio is hugely in favour of Bang
    Small, cute
    Extremely hackable
    On-board Atheros chipset suitable for WEP injection

  15. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On 2008-04-06, SnakeOilSteve wrote:

    > I haven't tried on the Asus but if you were to build packages on another
    > host and bring them across I've no doubt Gentoo would run like the
    > proverbial off a shovel.

    Maybe, however the 3 hour battery life is pants, I don't know if you
    can get proper sized batteries yet, but for a small portable like that
    I'd want at least 6 hours. I have a Panasonic CF18 running satan's
    own OS (as it needs to run a few specific apps) and I'm getting a new
    battery for it because it's dropped down to 4 hours of running time
    from the original 6.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  16. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    Asus have just launched an SDK and there's an EeePC appliance for
    VMware so it looks like I can build everything on my Mac and just port
    it across. There's a warning about using non-Xandros repositories so I
    was unable to install the Ubuntu version of FUSE/libspectrum. 2 hours
    does seem a bit short, especially when I just got more than 8.5 hours
    out of my iPod in continuous play (17 episodes of the HitchHiker radio
    series) but maybe you can buy a second battery.

  17. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On 2008-04-06, OwenBot wrote:

    > 2 hours does seem a bit short, especially when I just got more than
    > 8.5 hours out of my iPod in continuous play (17 episodes of the
    > HitchHiker radio series) but maybe you can buy a second battery.

    They have a high-capacity battery on their website that looks like it
    might get close to 6 hours, but so far it's not actually available.
    Changing batteries still needs you to power off and restart though as
    I don't think it has a hibernate mode, i.e. one that can survive
    complete power loss.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  18. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:07:42 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Ian Rawlings:

    > Changing batteries still needs you to power off and restart though as
    > I don't think it has a hibernate mode, i.e. one that can survive
    > complete power loss.

    I don't think any laptops have a hibernate mode that is that good!
    The RAM chips still need a bit of power to retain their contents, so
    you need an alternative power source (AC, or a second battery) while
    you make the switch.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  19. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    On 2008-04-06, Chris Young wrote:

    > I don't think any laptops have a hibernate mode that is that good!
    > The RAM chips still need a bit of power to retain their contents, so
    > you need an alternative power source (AC, or a second battery) while
    > you make the switch.

    No, that's a "suspend" mode, Hibernate mode writes memory and context
    to disc and does allow you to remove all power, suspend mode on the
    other hand just shuts down everything other than the RAM refresh and
    perhaps a few things like wake-on-lan or other events intended to be
    used to wake it up, and does need some power as a result.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  20. Re: Is the Asus Eee the speccy's logical successor?

    OwenBot wrote:

    > Asus have just launched an SDK and there's an EeePC appliance for
    > VMware so it looks like I can build everything on my Mac and just port
    > it across. There's a warning about using non-Xandros repositories so I
    > was unable to install the Ubuntu version of FUSE/libspectrum. 2 hours
    > does seem a bit short, especially when I just got more than 8.5 hours
    > out of my iPod in continuous play (17 episodes of the HitchHiker radio
    > series) but maybe you can buy a second battery.

    There's a third-party Arch repo for the (w)Eee PC, if you're interested
    in a bit of fiddling (f'narr!):
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...he_Asus_EEE_PC

    It might work out a bit lighter than Xandros.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.