JSW help required... - Sinclair

This is a discussion on JSW help required... - Sinclair ; Does anyone have a hex dump of this game loaded into a Spectrum they could give me? I've been looking through the memory of the C64 version (where I've fixed "The Chapel" and "Over The Drive" so we can collect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: JSW help required...

  1. JSW help required...

    Does anyone have a hex dump of this game loaded into a Spectrum they
    could give me? I've been looking through the memory of the C64 version
    (where I've fixed "The Chapel" and "Over The Drive" so we can collect
    80 items), and the room layout, which is excellently documented on the
    Spec, seems to be identical. The problem we have now is that
    collecting what we think is all the items doesn't let us finish the
    game.
    Collecting, but funnily enough not setting the register to, 40 or so
    items makes Maria disappear, but the pillow remains lethal no matter
    what I set the register to, i.e. 80+. I'm thinking there's some sort
    of running total kept of the items collected, but some flags may be
    triggered at certain numbers to make the game finishable.
    Since this seems to be a very direct port, does anyone know how the ZX
    version (the bugfixed one!) calculates if you're done in this game?
    I'd guess the programmer had access to it, as he seems to have ripped
    all the room data directly.
    Ta muchly for any help or musings...

  2. Re: JSW help required...

    Actually that was much easier than I expected... EmuZWin lets you save
    a .bin memory dump! Yippee!

  3. Re: JSW help required...

    On Mar 30, 10:49 pm, DanSolo wrote:
    > Actually that was much easier than I expected... EmuZWin lets you save
    > a .bin memory dump! Yippee!


    Dr. Andrew Broad has a website with a wealth of info on JSW. If I
    could only remember the URL. If you need any further advice he's
    probably your best point of contact.

  4. Re: JSW help required...

    On Mar 31, 8:24 am, OwenBot wrote:
    > Dr. Andrew Broad has a website with a wealth of info on JSW. If I
    > could only remember the URL. If you need any further advice he's
    > probably your best point of contact.


    I've seen his webpage and it does appear to be his chosen specialised
    subject... A search shows he was around here until a few months back.
    Oh, and I'm fully prepared to admit the C64 JSW is an abomination.
    Especially the staircases. Man they suck.


  5. Re: JSW help required...

    On Mar 31, 9:54 am, DanSolo wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 8:24 am, OwenBot wrote:
    >
    > > Dr. Andrew Broad has a website with a wealth of info on JSW. If I
    > > could only remember the URL. If you need any further advice he's
    > > probably your best point of contact.

    >
    > I've seen his webpage and it does appear to be his chosen specialised
    > subject... A search shows he was around here until a few months back.
    > Oh, and I'm fully prepared to admit the C64 JSW is an abomination.
    > Especially the staircases. Man they suck.


    You could try the forums at www.worldofspectrum.org, which is where
    most of the css traffic has gone these days.

  6. Re: JSW help required...

    OwenBot did eloquently scribble:
    > On Mar 31, 9:54 am, DanSolo wrote:
    >> On Mar 31, 8:24 am, OwenBot wrote:
    >>
    >> > Dr. Andrew Broad has a website with a wealth of info on JSW. If I
    >> > could only remember the URL. If you need any further advice he's
    >> > probably your best point of contact.

    >>
    >> I've seen his webpage and it does appear to be his chosen specialised
    >> subject... A search shows he was around here until a few months back.
    >> Oh, and I'm fully prepared to admit the C64 JSW is an abomination.
    >> Especially the staircases. Man they suck.


    > You could try the forums at www.worldofspectrum.org, which is where
    > most of the css traffic has gone these days.


    Ingrates...
    --
    | |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
    | |can't move, with no hope of rescue. |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
    | in |good to you so far... |
    | Computer Science | -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|

  7. Re: JSW help required...

    On Mar 31, 5:13 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Ingrates...


    Indeed. If it wasn't for the CSSFAQ they probably wouldn't have any
    emulators to play with, but anyway, no sense starting that flame war
    again (yet).

  8. Re: JSW help required...

    On Apr 1, 6:20 pm, OwenBot wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 5:13 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > Ingrates...

    >
    > Indeed. If it wasn't for the CSSFAQ they probably wouldn't have any
    > emulators to play with, but anyway, no sense starting that flame war
    > again (yet).


    Someone at lemon64 has contacted the guy who did the conversion. It
    will be good to hear hoe much input the mighty Mr Smith had in this
    version, as he may have had a hand in explaining the room data
    formats. What we're trying to work is if there is an ending programmed
    into it at all really. I know some games had no ending included as
    they were deemed unfinishable.
    I'll have an ask as WOS then if that doesn't work out.

+ Reply to Thread