Speccy Emulators - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Speccy Emulators - Sinclair ; Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API for facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it....

  1. Speccy Emulators

    Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API for
    facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it.

  2. Re: Speccy Emulators

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:12:06 +0000, Lister
    wrote:

    >Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API for
    >facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...te+an+emulator

  3. Re: Speccy Emulators

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:03:30 GMT, Woodster
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:12:06 +0000, Lister
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API for
    >>facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it.

    >http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...te+an+emulator

    Looks....tricky, to say the least

  4. Re: Speccy Emulators

    Lister wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:03:30 GMT, Woodster
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:12:06 +0000, Lister
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API
    > > > for facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it.

    > > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...te+an+emulator

    > Looks....tricky, to say the least

    A programming tasks go, it's not very tricky to write a speccy emulator
    that will work with 90%+ of the available games, although if you write
    and test your own Z80 emulation rather than using someone else's, it's
    pretty damned tedious.

    There are good free ones out there so I would use one of those as the
    basis for any new project as long as you're happy with the licence
    terms.
    --
    Slower Than You

  5. Re: Speccy Emulators

    I believe someone has already added a Speccy application using a port
    of one of the Java based emulators. I'd check exactly what the
    copyright arrangements are for Facebook apps, but if they don't break
    the GPL then I'd suggest porting FUSE, not least because it's been
    ported to so many places that there's a wealth of experience to draw
    on.

  6. Re: Speccy Emulators

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:04:35 -0700 (PDT), OwenBot
    wrote:

    >I believe someone has already added a Speccy application using a port
    >of one of the Java based emulators. I'd check exactly what the
    >copyright arrangements are for Facebook apps, but if they don't break
    >the GPL then I'd suggest porting FUSE, not least because it's been
    >ported to so many places that there's a wealth of experience to draw
    >on.

    I'm not sure whether they break the GPL or not. Perhaps I should get
    a lawyer onto it, or something?

  7. Re: Speccy Emulators

    > I'm not sure whether they break the GPL or not. Perhaps I should get
    > a lawyer onto it, or something?

    Or you could just read the bumf on the developer page. It's ok to port
    FUSE.

  8. Re: Speccy Emulators

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:12:06 +0000, Lister wrote:

    > Right, how does one program one of these? I've been given an API for
    > facebook, and I'm considering what to do with it.

    I've written and ported a couple of emulators before (although strangely
    not speccy ones) and found that it's better to start with something
    simple if you've never written an emulator before.

    I got as far as partway through writing an MK14 emulator before going
    outside and realising there's more to life than working on emulators for
    long dead platforms.

+ Reply to Thread