SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing) - Sinclair ; Hi, I've recently been submitting some ZX Spectrum screen grabs to the WoS archive, but I have a few programs left for which I have been unable to grab a screen because I can't get them to run. Two of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

  1. SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Hi,

    I've recently been submitting some ZX Spectrum screen grabs to the WoS
    archive, but I have a few programs left for which I have been unable to
    grab a screen because I can't get them to run.

    Two of these are "CW" and "SSTV" from G1FTU aka John Pearson/"Pearsons
    computing", both available from the WoS archive.

    I noticed some posts here on comp.sys.sinclair from a few years back
    mention SSTV (from the time of the Russian SuitSat-1 experiment) so I
    wondered if anyone here has managed to load these programs up and run
    them, and if so, how? I'm aware they are meant to be used with a radio
    tranceiver plugged into the speccy mic/ear ports, but I think the
    programs should still start without this hardware plugged in.

    CW - just crashes when I try it.

    SSTV - looks like it is trying to load another file called SSTV? or
    something, so it never starts.

    I am unsure as to whether there is something wrong with the copies of
    the software in the WoS archive, or if I am just simply missing some
    needed information needed to load these programs up.

    I have posted on WoS about these programs since last year, but so far
    no-one who reads that particular thread has been able to offer any
    further insights into these programs - perhaps these programs were not
    widely used, as they need HAM radio kit to work.

    Thanks for any possible help,
    DP

  2. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    "Digital Prawn" wrote:

    > SSTV - looks like it is trying to load another file called SSTV? or
    > something, so it never starts.


    Both of the tapes end with a headerless data block, which is rather
    unusual unless it's something like a turbo-loader. Could be a bad dump I
    suppose.

    I think the "SSTV?" file is a red herring: that's called "SSTV SCREEN$"
    (though the token probably won't show up correctly in an emulator's tape
    browser); it's just the loading screen.

    Eq.



  3. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > Both of the tapes end with a headerless data block, which is rather
    > unusual unless it's something like a turbo-loader. Could be a bad dump I
    > suppose.


    Thanks for looking at it.

    You are indeed correct about the "SSTV SCREEN$" filename. I was looking
    at what the IX register was pointing to whilst the PC was inside the ROM
    load routine to try to ascertain what filename it was trying to read in.

    I didn't have the token table to hand at the time, but indeed the
    character in question is decimal 170, which is SCREEN$.

    So, it's just trying to load the loading screen in again.

    The loader itself does use the ROM routines, however since it calls them
    via m/c I think it can still theoretically load in a headerless block.

    But yes, I thought this was unusual too.

    I agree with your suggestion that this could possibly be a bad dump of
    the tape.

    It's just good to get someone else to have a look at it just to be sure
    I'm not missing anything obvious,

    Cheers, DP

  4. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Digital Prawn wrote in comp.sys.sinclair:

    > So, it's just trying to load the loading screen in again.


    IIRC what you do at that point is load in a screen dump (made in Melbourne
    Draw or whatever) that you want to send over the air via SSTV. Typically
    a Spectrum version of a QSO card, eg callsign in big letter, simple map of
    where you are in the world or whatever.

    HTH

    - MDW.

  5. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Reply to myself but anyway page 70 of the following PDF link shows Speccy
    SSTV and interfaces and example screens etc

    http://sstv.ccone.at/downloads/sstv.pdf

    HTH

    - MDW.

  6. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Digital Prawn wrote in comp.sys.sinclair:
    >
    > So, it's just trying to load the loading screen in again.
    >
    > The loader itself does use the ROM routines, however since it calls
    > them via m/c I think it can still theoretically load in a headerless
    > block.


    Me yet again. It could of course be waiting to receive the SSTV image
    rather than something off the tape. This program worked by interfacing the
    ear/mic socket to the transceiver, maybe it used the ROM routines to grab
    data off the ear input and display it on screen as it is received.

    Receiving SSTV is like loading screens but slower really innit ;-)

    Thanks for bringing back memories of being upstairs with Dad faffing about
    trying to receive images from the airwaves.

    Hmm, SSTV simulator, maybe the seedings of a CSSCG entry there?

    - MDW.

  7. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Matt Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Me yet again. It could of course be waiting to receive the SSTV image
    > rather than something off the tape. This program worked by interfacing the
    > ear/mic socket to the transceiver, maybe it used the ROM routines to grab
    > data off the ear input and display it on screen as it is received.
    >


    Hi Matt,

    Thanks for the replies.

    I have now downloaded and read the PDF you linked to. It is a very
    comprehensive source of information on SSTV, which is something I knew
    nothing about until I attempted this screen grab.

    The idea in your first post sounds good. So, I made a test tape with a
    SCREEN$ in it, but I can't yet get it to be accepted by the SSTV program.

    Whilst doing this, I did at least learn that I made an incorrect
    assumption yesterday. I was wrong when I mentioned that the filename
    stored in the area pointed to by the IX register was the filename that
    was trying to be read in. It now seems that it simply contains the last
    filename found on the current tape. Which is simply why it was set to
    the name of the SSTV loading screen when I checked it.

    So I now speculate that the SSTV program is trying to load any SCREEN$
    file off a tape, perhaps the filename is unimportant.

    Here's my test tape:-
    http://java.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homepage...r/SSTVtest.tzx

    There's probably something about the SCREEN$ file in the above tapefile
    that the SSTV program doesn't like, but I haven't yet found what it is.

    Regards, DP

  8. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Matt Wilson wrote:
    >
    > Me yet again. It could of course be waiting to receive the SSTV image
    > rather than something off the tape. This program worked by interfacing the
    > ear/mic socket to the transceiver, maybe it used the ROM routines to grab
    > data off the ear input and display it on screen as it is received.
    >
    > Receiving SSTV is like loading screens but slower really innit ;-)
    >


    Yes perhaps that is what is happening here. Alas I don't have a suitable
    source currently available for this. Perhaps I could locate some
    recording from the Internet or something, and feed it into the SSTV program.

    > Thanks for bringing back memories of being upstairs with Dad faffing about
    > trying to receive images from the airwaves.
    >


    I'm just glad to get a reply from someone who has used SSTV on the
    speccy before.

    > Hmm, SSTV simulator, maybe the seedings of a CSSCG entry there?
    >
    > - MDW.


    Sounds like a potentially interesting title!

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    >
    > I have now downloaded and read the PDF you linked to.


    Oops, that's not quite right, I really meant that I read a small part of it!

  9. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Matt Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >> Me yet again. It could of course be waiting to receive the SSTV image
    >> rather than something off the tape. This program worked by interfacing
    >> the ear/mic socket to the transceiver, maybe it used the ROM routines
    >> to grab data off the ear input and display it on screen as it is
    >> received.
    >>
    > > Receiving SSTV is like loading screens but slower really innit ;-)
    > >

    >
    > Yes perhaps that is what is happening here. Alas I don't have a suitable
    > source currently available for this. Perhaps I could locate some
    > recording from the Internet or something, and feed it into the SSTV
    > program.
    >


    if you download mmsstv that can generate sstv signals. I imagine the
    software receives 8 or 12 second black and white transmissions.
    I have tried it in the past though, and have never got that software to
    behave.

  10. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Guesser wrote:
    >
    > if you download mmsstv that can generate sstv signals. I imagine the
    > software receives 8 or 12 second black and white transmissions.
    > I have tried it in the past though, and have never got that software to
    > behave.


    Thanks for this suggestion, Guesser. I have now downloaded this software
    and I will try it out sometime soon.

    I'm willing to try anything to grab a screen for this particular
    software, since I have been stuck on it for a long time.

    Cheers, DP

  11. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Guesser wrote:
    >
    > if you download mmsstv that can generate sstv signals. I imagine the
    > software receives 8 or 12 second black and white transmissions.
    > I have tried it in the past though, and have never got that software to
    > behave.


    Well I tried it, but it didnt seem to respond. It was worth a go though!

    I found that Spectaculator 5.3 is a good emulator for loading in
    whatever sounds are currently playing under Windows. Just select "Load
    from Audio Source", it's that simple.

    So as a control test, I did this, and then loaded up a game in the SPIN
    emulator at normal speed, with the loading sound turned on.

    The game simultaneously loaded up in Spectaculator, (well it had a lag
    time of about a second behind SPIN, no doubt due to a sound buffer), but
    it still loaded up perfectly OK.

    With that set up, I then loaded up a snapshot of SSTV into Spectaculator
    in the normal manner.

    I then fired up mmtssv and I got my test picture ready, with my fake
    call sign printed on it.

    I got the program to output the audio version of the picture. It sounded
    very musical.

    But, the SSTV program running in Spectaculator did not respond. Still it
    was fun messing around with that mmsstv program.

    I'm now thinking though that the Speccy SSTV program is just waiting to
    load in a standard ZX Spectrum tape file header through the ear port.

    You can tell this as follows:-

    Just keep playing any speccy tapefile repeatedly whilst on the SSTV
    loading screen. You will see the usual filename messages characteristic
    of the standard ROM routine start to scroll down the screen after a
    while. You can't read them, as they are in black INK on black PAPER. I
    suppose ATTR_P could be poked, if there was a need to view these messages.

    But, it is picking up on the standard Speccy file headers. It's just
    that it is not finding the particular header it is looking for.

    Cheers, DP


  12. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    >
    > I then fired up mmtssv and I got my test picture ready, with my fake
    > call sign printed on it.
    >
    > I got the program to output the audio version of the picture. It sounded
    > very musical.


    hmm, saying it sounded quite musical makes me wonder, did you change the
    picture mode and fiddle about? the default mode would be Martin or
    Scottie, "modern" modes, if this software responds to any sort of
    standard sstv mode it would almost certainly be a black and white mode,
    the 8 or 12 second modes.

    sorry if you did do this, I just never thought the bw modes had that
    musical lilt to them at all, just sound like noise to me

  13. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Guesser wrote:
    > hmm, saying it sounded quite musical makes me wonder, did you change the
    > picture mode and fiddle about? the default mode would be Martin or
    > Scottie, "modern" modes, if this software responds to any sort of
    > standard sstv mode it would almost certainly be a black and white mode,
    > the 8 or 12 second modes.
    >
    > sorry if you did do this, I just never thought the bw modes had that
    > musical lilt to them at all, just sound like noise to me


    I selected the B/W 8 second mode and a few of the others, but I now
    realise that my description of the sound was not entirely accurate.

    You are correct that those modes just sound like noise, whilst the
    picture is actually being scanned that is.

    It is apparent to me now that what I described as "musical" is in fact
    some sort of prelude to transmitting the image. Like some sort of code
    that is sent out before the image is scanned.

    It's just a few notes, played in quick succession, and also plays again
    after the image has been completely scanned.

    I don't know much about amateur radio or SSTV, so I'm not sure what it
    is but it sounds like a little tune to me.

  14. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Guesser wrote:
    >> hmm, saying it sounded quite musical makes me wonder, did you change
    >> the picture mode and fiddle about? the default mode would be Martin or
    >> Scottie, "modern" modes, if this software responds to any sort of
    >> standard sstv mode it would almost certainly be a black and white
    >> mode, the 8 or 12 second modes.
    >>
    >> sorry if you did do this, I just never thought the bw modes had that
    >> musical lilt to them at all, just sound like noise to me

    >
    > I selected the B/W 8 second mode and a few of the others, but I now
    > realise that my description of the sound was not entirely accurate.
    >
    > You are correct that those modes just sound like noise, whilst the
    > picture is actually being scanned that is.
    >
    > It is apparent to me now that what I described as "musical" is in fact
    > some sort of prelude to transmitting the image. Like some sort of code
    > that is sent out before the image is scanned.
    >
    > It's just a few notes, played in quick succession, and also plays again
    > after the image has been completely scanned.
    >
    > I don't know much about amateur radio or SSTV, so I'm not sure what it
    > is but it sounds like a little tune to me.


    yes I know what you mean, the 'vis' code that comes before the
    tansmission goes diddleiddleiddleummmm.

    I think the colour modes are a little musical, which I thought you
    perhaps meant.
    doodleydoodleydoodleydoodley etc

  15. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    Guesser wrote:
    >
    > yes I know what you mean, the 'vis' code that comes before the
    > tansmission goes diddleiddleiddleummmm.
    >
    > I think the colour modes are a little musical, which I thought you
    > perhaps meant.
    > doodleydoodleydoodleydoodley etc


    Indeed, I can confirm that I meant diddleiddleiddleummmm and not
    doodleydoodleydoodleydoodley.

  16. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    On Mar 31, 7:35 pm, Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Guesser wrote:
    >
    > > yes I know what you mean, the 'vis' code that comes before the
    > > tansmission goes diddleiddleiddleummmm.

    >
    > > I think the colour modes are a little musical, which I thought you
    > > perhaps meant.
    > > doodleydoodleydoodleydoodley etc

    >
    > Indeed, I can confirm that I meant diddleiddleiddleummmm and not
    > doodleydoodleydoodleydoodley.


    Hi all,

    I'm going to take a look at this too - though from the SSTV / Radio
    end of things. My license has long lapsed (need to look into that...)
    but I did hold a class b license as 2E1AEX. I always wanted to get
    SSTV working and play with it, but things like college, then Uni' and
    drink and women kinda happened and I forgot all about it!

    Cheers,
    Gav.

  17. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm going to take a look at this too - though from the SSTV / Radio
    > end of things.


    Thanks for taking the time to look at it!

    Someone mentioned to me the other day that they didn't think I'd get it
    working without the correct hardware attached.

    I have never owned any amateur radio hardware myself.

    It'd be great to see someone get this up and running (assuming the tape
    dump in the WoS archive is OK). There remains some uncertainty over
    whether or not that tape file is completely OK.

    Cheers, DP

  18. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    On Apr 7, 2:01 pm, Digital Prawn wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    >
    > > I'm going to take a look at this too - though from the SSTV / Radio
    > > end of things.

    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to look at it!
    >
    > Someone mentioned to me the other day that they didn't think I'd get it
    > working without the correct hardware attached.
    >
    > I have never owned any amateur radio hardware myself.
    >
    > It'd be great to see someone get this up and running (assuming the tape
    > dump in the WoS archive is OK). There remains some uncertainty over
    > whether or not that tape file is completely OK.
    >
    > Cheers, DP


    From what I can gather (and in part remember) the Spectrum was one of
    the only (possibly the only) home computer that could decode SSTV
    without any additional hardware. Whether this SSTV prog wanted extra
    hardware I don't know though... Still, it's fun figuring stuff out.

    The CW prog is likely a morse decoder or encoder. I'll look at that
    another time.

    Cheers,
    Gav.

  19. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    gcallard@callard.co.uk wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 2:01 pm, Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I'm going to take a look at this too - though from the SSTV / Radio
    >>> end of things.

    >> Thanks for taking the time to look at it!
    >>
    >> Someone mentioned to me the other day that they didn't think I'd get it
    >> working without the correct hardware attached.
    >>
    >> I have never owned any amateur radio hardware myself.
    >>
    >> It'd be great to see someone get this up and running (assuming the tape
    >> dump in the WoS archive is OK). There remains some uncertainty over
    >> whether or not that tape file is completely OK.
    >>
    >> Cheers, DP

    >
    > From what I can gather (and in part remember) the Spectrum was one of
    > the only (possibly the only) home computer that could decode SSTV
    > without any additional hardware. Whether this SSTV prog wanted extra
    > hardware I don't know though... Still, it's fun figuring stuff out.
    >
    > The CW prog is likely a morse decoder or encoder. I'll look at that
    > another time.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gav.

    This is a test - new server. Please ignore me.

  20. Re: SSTV,CW (Pearsons Computing)

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:41:03 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > From what I can gather (and in part remember) the Spectrum was one of
    > the only (possibly the only) home computer that could decode SSTV
    > without any additional hardware.


    That's correct. There was a SSTV program (which did some form of text
    communication as well) on Micronet that worked perfectly well with a
    radio plugged into the tape port on the Spectrum. Never got any
    worthwhile out of it, but it did at least appear to work!

    Can't remember what it was called, but it had some sort of
    Multiface-style menu along the bottom of the screen.

    Chris


    --
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+

    DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

+ Reply to Thread