OT: ripping .s3m files to .mp3 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on OT: ripping .s3m files to .mp3 - Sinclair ; The .s3m format appears to be some kind of MIDI-alike format (similar to MOD Tracker). It's used to encode the music for PopCap games, and can be played by WinAmp. Does anyone know how (if indeed possible) to convert this ...

  1. OT: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    The .s3m format appears to be some kind of MIDI-alike format (similar
    to MOD Tracker). It's used to encode the music for PopCap games, and
    can be played by WinAmp.

    Does anyone know how (if indeed possible) to convert this type of file
    to .mp3? I need a (deliberately low-quality, to comply with fair use)
    rip of part of the /Network/ tune from /Bejeweled/, to illustrate the
    "****ing war-cow" bit. :-)

  2. Re: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    If winamp can play it then you can use winamps output plugins and output it
    in you disired format

    Andy

    wrote in message
    > The .s3m format appears to be some kind of MIDI-alike format (similar
    > to MOD Tracker). It's used to encode the music for PopCap games, and
    > can be played by WinAmp.
    >
    > Does anyone know how (if indeed possible) to convert this type of file
    > to .mp3? I need a (deliberately low-quality, to comply with fair use)
    > rip of part of the /Network/ tune from /Bejeweled/, to illustrate the
    > "****ing war-cow" bit. :-)

  3. Re: OT: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    I still use winamp 2.95, in it is a codec for saveing a file it plays
    to the harddrive instead of out to the speakers, Works Like a champ!
    look in the OPTIONS PREFERENCES OUTPUT for Nullsoft diskwriter
    that is the piece to use, (even works for streaming audio from the
    internet to the speakers)

    ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION

    DO NOT FORGET TO REASSIGN WINAMP'S OUTPUT TO DIRECTSOUND OR YOU WILL
    FILL UP YOUR HARDDRIVE SHOULD YOU USE WINAMP TO LISTEN TO MUSIC
    AFTERWARDS. IT CAN HAPPEN REALLY FAST DEPENDING ON THE SOURCE YOU
    ARE CURRENTLY TRYING TO LISTEN TO.

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    > The .s3m format appears to be some kind of MIDI-alike format (similar
    > to MOD Tracker). It's used to encode the music for PopCap games, and
    > can be played by WinAmp.
    >
    > Does anyone know how (if indeed possible) to convert this type of file
    > to .mp3? I need a (deliberately low-quality, to comply with fair use)
    > rip of part of the /Network/ tune from /Bejeweled/, to illustrate the
    > "****ing war-cow" bit. :-)

  4. Re: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    On Mar 26, 3:44 pm, "andy" wrote:
    > If winamp can play it then you can use winamps output plugins and output it
    > in you disired format

    Not in Wnamp 5; the current version will only rip CDs, not general
    audio streams. I think this was done to prevent people converting
    protected WMAs to an unprotected format, even though there are several
    legitimate reasons for wanting to do this (for instance, what if you
    reinstall your OS and thus have to acquire your licences all over
    again? What if you're having trouble acquiring some of the licences?
    What if you have more than one OS/computer, and want to listen to the
    music you've bought and paid for on all of them? Specifically, what
    if you want to play your WMAs on Linux? All of those apply to me.).

  5. Re: OT: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    The message <47EAB6EE.F62A5DFE@nana.net>
    from Hp contains these words:

    > I still use winamp 2.95, in it is a codec for saveing a file it plays
    > to the harddrive instead of out to the speakers, Works Like a champ!
    > look in the OPTIONS PREFERENCES OUTPUT for Nullsoft diskwriter
    > that is the piece to use, (even works for streaming audio from the
    > internet to the speakers)

    > ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION

    > DO NOT FORGET TO REASSIGN WINAMP'S OUTPUT TO DIRECTSOUND OR YOU WILL
    > FILL UP YOUR HARDDRIVE SHOULD YOU USE WINAMP TO LISTEN TO MUSIC
    > AFTERWARDS. IT CAN HAPPEN REALLY FAST DEPENDING ON THE SOURCE YOU
    > ARE CURRENTLY TRYING TO LISTEN TO.

    Sound advice (forgive the pun :-). In fact I use WinAmp 2.10 and have
    done exactly the same thing to capture some 24 hours of "The Goon Shows"
    being broadcast from an internet streaming 'radio' station a couple or
    more years back. I had to disable system sounds for the duration and not
    use any other sound related programs.

    I landed up with a 7GB wav file for which I had to track down a
    suitable file splitter so I could get CoolEdit Pro to load the 650MB
    files I'd created and let me slice and dice the 24 hours worth into some
    52 28 minute episodes saved as mono wav files which I then converted
    back to 64Kbps mono MP3s using Audio Catalyst.

    A little bit convuluted, but well worth the trouble to get hold of an
    almost pricess collection of Goon Show episodes. The "internet radio
    station" disappeared a little while after that so it may have been my
    one and only chance to grab them.

    --
    Regards, John.

    Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
    The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

  6. Re: ripping .s3m files to .mp3

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Mar 26, 3:44 pm, "andy" wrote:
    > > If winamp can play it then you can use winamps output plugins and output it
    > > in you disired format

    > Not in Wnamp 5; the current version will only rip CDs, not general
    > audio streams. I think this was done to prevent people converting
    > protected WMAs to an unprotected format, even though there are several
    > legitimate reasons for wanting to do this (for instance, what if you
    > reinstall your OS and thus have to acquire your licences all over
    > again? What if you're having trouble acquiring some of the licences?
    > What if you have more than one OS/computer, and want to listen to the
    > music you've bought and paid for on all of them? Specifically, what
    > if you want to play your WMAs on Linux? All of those apply to me.).

    This is EXACLTY why I stipulted winamp 2.95, the last version before
    they mucked it up (in my opinion) also the last one where its easy to
    turn off the E.T. feature I recall.

+ Reply to Thread