128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k? - Sinclair ; Hi all, Does anyone have any recommendations for 128 or +2 emulators that'll work under either Linux or Windows 2000? I know about : 1) xzx, which is Motif-based (and dies horribly at compile-time on my system) 2) Gerton Lunter's ...

  1. 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone have any recommendations for 128 or +2 emulators that'll work
    under either Linux or Windows 2000? I know about:

    1) xzx, which is Motif-based (and dies horribly at compile-time on my
    system)

    2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    A Linux option would be preferred (my Win2k copy's actually running via
    VMWare), but I'm reluctant right now to go tearing things apart trying to
    find out what's up with xzx. Maybe I'll revisit that if there's no
    alternative, though :-)

    cheers

    Jules

  2. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    Linux - Fuse

    Win2000 - Spin

    Nuff said...

    "Jules" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.03.19.21.34.22.942979@remove.this.gmail.co m...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for 128 or +2 emulators that'll work
    > under either Linux or Windows 2000? I know about:
    >
    > 1) xzx, which is Motif-based (and dies horribly at compile-time on my
    > system)
    >
    > 2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    > agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was
    > great!)
    >
    > A Linux option would be preferred (my Win2k copy's actually running via
    > VMWare), but I'm reluctant right now to go tearing things apart trying to
    > find out what's up with xzx. Maybe I'll revisit that if there's no
    > alternative, though :-)
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

  3. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    Jules did eloquently scribble:

    > Hi all,

    > Does anyone have any recommendations for 128 or +2 emulators that'll work
    > under either Linux or Windows 2000? I know about:

    > 1) xzx, which is Motif-based (and dies horribly at compile-time on my
    > system)

    Fuse.

    > 2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    > agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    But doesn't work in linux... unless dosbox or dosemu are capable of running
    it.

    > A Linux option would be preferred (my Win2k copy's actually running via
    > VMWare), but I'm reluctant right now to go tearing things apart trying to
    > find out what's up with xzx. Maybe I'll revisit that if there's no
    > alternative, though :-)

    There're 3 main ones.
    xzx which isn't free software.
    Glukalka (which is nice, but horribly written. If it compiles it's good
    though)
    and
    Fuse, which is the only one still in development and FREE as well as free.
    (It's gpl)

    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    > 2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    > agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    You are correct about Z80, but at least the installer works here, and
    the WinZ80 version runs fine here under Win2K.

    Things to watch out for when installing Z80/WinZ80 - Make sure that the
    executable of the installer is called "Install.exe". If it has been
    renamed, then it will always fail as it uses a self-referencing file
    extractor. The string "Install.exe" is embedded in the executable itself.

    It won't install directly off a UNC path either, so if installing over
    the network then you need copy it to the local HDD first, or at least
    map a drive letter.

    WinZ80 is still a very useful piece of software, emulating specifically
    an older version of the multiface, which some obscure software insists
    on. But for general use, you would probably be wanting to use one of the
    newer emulators, as previously mentioned.

    Under Linux, I'm another one who uses FUSE. I find it to be a most
    excellent emulator.

  5. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:35:36 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:

    >> 2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    >> agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    > You are correct about Z80, but at least the installer works here, and
    > the WinZ80 version runs fine here under Win2K.

    Hmm, I'll do some more digging. As I recall I got the copy of Z80 via the
    link on the WoS website, which claimed it was a dual version for
    DOS/Windows - but maybe that's not the case (certainly no mention was
    made there of 'WinZ80'; it was all just 'Z80').

    Or maybe it's just a bug/feature of my VMWare/Win2k combo (and 'native'
    Win2k would be fine). The installer runs, but dies trying to make the
    necessary install directories.

    Sudden thought: I wonder if that stage of the installer is just trying to
    unpack the actual installers for both the DOS and Windows flavours, and
    it's just that bit that's broken in Win2k. Maybe if I can bypass that and
    grab just the Windows version (i.e. WinZ80) only from a different website
    then I'll be fine...

    > WinZ80 is still a very useful piece of software, emulating specifically
    > an older version of the multiface, which some obscure software insists
    > on. But for general use, you would probably be wanting to use one of the
    > newer emulators, as previously mentioned.

    Maybe... I'm not really too fussed about peripheral support, though. I
    just wanted a good solid emulator with 128/+2 support (just for the extra
    audio abilities).

    > Under Linux, I'm another one who uses FUSE. I find it to be a most
    > excellent emulator.

    Gah! For me FUSE means the userspace filesystem support in the kernel
    (very handy for poking around the contents of floppy disk images!).
    Most confusing :-)

    cheers

    Jules

  6. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:40:11 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    > Jules did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> Hi all,

    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for 128 or +2 emulators that'll work
    >> under either Linux or Windows 2000? I know about:

    >> 1) xzx, which is Motif-based (and dies horribly at compile-time on my
    >> system)

    > Fuse.

    See other post - I got confuzzled when people started talking about Fuse :-)

    I'll give that a try though; whilst I've got a lot of respect for Z80 from
    the old days, it'd be less than ideal to have to fire up VMWare every time
    - a native Linux solution would be a lot better.

    >> 2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    >> agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    > But doesn't work in linux... unless dosbox or dosemu are capable of running
    > it.

    Y'know, it might well work in dosemu - I finally got around to
    trying dosemu / freedos last year and was really impressed with what it
    could handle.

    > There're 3 main ones.
    > xzx which isn't free software.

    Indeed - although I wouldn't mind paying if I could get it to work, but
    I'm reluctant to go screwing around with my Motif libs given that they're
    not causing problems with anything else.

    Fuse looks like a good bet at present though...

    cheers

    Jules

  7. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    In article , Jules
    writes

    >2) Gerton Lunter's Z80, the install of which unfortunately doesn't seem to
    >agree with Win2k (I remember using this years ago with NT and it was great!)

    It (z80 v4.00) works on Win2kSP4 here. Throws error "Can't find
    WING.DLL" on startup, but runs and loads/plays .TAP files ok.

    >A Linux option would be preferred (my Win2k copy's actually running via
    >VMWare), but I'm reluctant right now to go tearing things apart trying to
    >find out what's up with xzx. Maybe I'll revisit that if there's no
    >alternative, though :-)

    I run SpectrumAnywhere on Win2k on VMware on Linux. It works.

    --
    (\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
    (='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

  8. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    The Free Unix Spectrum Emulator (FUSE) is available on AmigaOS 4 (PPC
    only), MacOS X (recent versions require Tiger) and Windows as well as
    Linux and Unix. It's also been ported to various consoles and hand
    held devices. It's gone from being a little known Unix based emulator
    to being one of the most comprehensive emulators available, supporting
    the widest range of hardware. It hasn't got everything, but it's open
    source so it's always possible to add that feature you want.

    There you go -- went a whole post without mentioning the Spectrum SE.
    Oh buggger!

  9. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:39:45 UTC, OwenBot wrote:

    > The Free Unix Spectrum Emulator (FUSE) is available on AmigaOS 4 (PPC
    > only), MacOS X (recent versions require Tiger) and Windows as well as
    > Linux and Unix. It's also been ported to various consoles and hand
    > held devices.

    Just a quick note: the OS/2 community is working to port it under OS/2
    with SDL. Seems we are at a good point, and the Win32 release works
    almost flawlessly.

    Mentore

  10. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    Mentore Siesto wrote:
    > Just a quick note: the OS/2 community is working to port [Fuse] under
    > OS/2 with SDL. Seems we are at a good point, and the Win32 release
    > works almost flawlessly.

    Good news! Please don't forget to work with the Fuse developers to get
    your changes merged back to the main project.

    Fred

  11. Re: 128/+2 emulator for Linux or Win2k?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:27:25 UTC, Fred wrote:

    > Mentore Siesto wrote:
    > > Just a quick note: the OS/2 community is working to port [Fuse] under
    > > OS/2 with SDL. Seems we are at a good point, and the Win32 release
    > > works almost flawlessly.

    > Good news! Please don't forget to work with the Fuse developers to get
    > your changes merged back to the main project.
    >
    > Fred

    This will be the first thing my friends or I will do :-)

    Mentore

+ Reply to Thread