TAP file trouble - Sinclair

This is a discussion on TAP file trouble - Sinclair ; Is someone bored enough to study a TAP file I have created and tell me what's wrong with it? I've tried to create it according to the exact TAP file format, including lengths and XOR checksums and so on, but ...

  1. TAP file trouble

    Is someone bored enough to study a TAP file I have created and tell me
    what's wrong with it? I've tried to create it according to the exact TAP
    file format, including lengths and XOR checksums and so on, but
    Spectaculator commits suicide and SPIN loops uselessly.

    If you're willing to do this, send me an e-mail.

    If nobody wants to help, the CGC will miss a really interesting kind of
    game

    Eq.

  2. Re: TAP file trouble

    On 13 Mar, 02:34, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > Is someone bored enough to study a TAP file I have created and tell me
    > what's wrong with it?

    Hi Paul,

    If it turns out that no-one gets the file working, then please send it
    to me at the CSSCGC 2008 submission address anyway and I will see if I
    can do anything with it.

    Regards, DP

  3. Re: TAP file trouble

    Paul E Collins did eloquently scribble:
    > Is someone bored enough to study a TAP file I have created and tell me
    > what's wrong with it? I've tried to create it according to the exact TAP
    > file format, including lengths and XOR checksums and so on, but
    > Spectaculator commits suicide and SPIN loops uselessly.

    > If you're willing to do this, send me an e-mail.

    > If nobody wants to help, the CGC will miss a really interesting kind of
    > game

    Have you tried it in Fuse?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: TAP file trouble

    Judging by the same data saved out of an emulator, I'm only *one* byte
    wrong now, and it's the checksum of the data block. (This tape file just
    contains a single code file for testing purposes.) The checksum of the
    header block is correct.

    I am XORing all the bytes of each block (except the first two, which are
    the block length) and putting the result at the end of the corresponding
    block, as the documentation suggests, i.e.

    byte check = 0;
    for (int i = start; i < start + length; i++)
    check ^= data[i];

    That much is correct, right? Hmm.

    Eq.

  5. Re: TAP file trouble

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > Judging by the same data saved out of an emulator, I'm only *one* byte
    > wrong now, and it's the checksum of the data block. (This tape file just
    > contains a single code file for testing purposes.) The checksum of the
    > header block is correct.
    >
    > I am XORing all the bytes of each block (except the first two, which are
    > the block length) and putting the result at the end of the corresponding
    > block, as the documentation suggests, i.e.
    >
    > byte check = 0;
    > for (int i = start; i < start + length; i++)
    > check ^= data[i];
    >
    > That much is correct, right? Hmm.

    Yep, that looks right. Are you sure you're including the flag byte (0
    for header, 255 for data block) in the checksum? If not, that would
    explain why it's working for the header (because the additional 0 has no
    effect on the checksum).

  6. Re: TAP file trouble

    "Matthew Westcott" wrote:

    > Yep, that looks right. Are you sure you're including the flag byte (0
    > for header, 255 for data block) in the checksum? If not, that would
    > explain why it's working for the header (because the additional 0 has
    > no effect on the checksum).

    Ah, fixed it now. I was carelessly including the header bytes *and* data
    bytes for the data checksum.

    Eq.

  7. Re: TAP file trouble

    > Ah, fixed it now. I was carelessly including the header bytes *and* data
    > bytes for the data checksum.
    >
    > Eq.

    Thanks, I have now uploaded the game to the CSSCGC 2008 website!

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

+ Reply to Thread