machine survey - Sinclair

This is a discussion on machine survey - Sinclair ; I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one coming in the post the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32 what was your first computer and how have you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. machine survey

    I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    coming in the post

    the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32

    what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

  2. Re: machine survey

    "messianic light" wrote:

    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Good question.

    Not in any order of "progress" or evolution, but the approximate order
    in which I acquired them:

    - Spectrum +2 (bought by father in 1986)
    - BBC Micro (a hand-me-down from sister's godfather's home office)
    - 286 PC (ditto, but later)
    - Amstrad CPC, Spectrum 48K, broken ZX81 (from various car boot sales)
    - Pentium PC 133MHz (bought by father in 1996)
    - various increasingly powerful, but unmemorable, PCs that I have bought
    myself

    I really wanted a Sam Coupe when they were advertised in Crash circa
    1990. Little did we know

    Eq.

  3. Re: machine survey

    messianic light wrote:
    > I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    > coming in the post
    >
    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Okey dokey...

    1983 (I think): ZX81
    1985: Speccy+
    1986: "Toastrack" Speccy 128K

    Bit of a computerless hiatus after about 1990, then...

    1993: Amiga 500+
    1995 (Again, not too sure; could be a year either side): Amiga 1200,
    upgraded within an inch of my wallet's life over the years,
    until...

    2005: Finally submitted to a boring old PC. But not Windows. Ooooh no.
    (1.8GHz Athlon or something. Who cares? It's has no soul.)

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: machine survey

    "Paul E Collins" napísal

    > I really wanted a Sam Coupe when they were advertised in Crash circa 1990.
    > Little did we know

    By the way : Why the magazine was called Crash ? Like the computer just
    crashed ? Because this reminds me it.

  5. Re: machine survey

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 messianic light wrote:

    >what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Nice question.

    1983: Sinclair Spectrum 16K. Christmas present.
    1984: Sinclair Spectrum 48K. Same machine, DIY upgrade.
    c1990: Part-swapped original Spectrum for another 48K attached to Opus
    Discovery 1. For the really curious I think the other part of
    the swap was a CB radio. Currently in storage.
    c1991: 1MB Commodore Amiga A500. Second-hand. Currently in storage.
    c1991: Casio FX-something or other pocket computer. Glorified calculator
    with 2-line display, QWERTY keyboard and BASIC. I still use this
    machine in work today; I wrote a program on it in 1995 for
    adding and subtracting hours and minutes (something I'm lousy at
    in mental arithmetic) and I still use it for calculating job
    times.
    c1992: Commodore Amiga A1200.
    Various upgrades to this machine over the next couple of years.
    Currently in storage.
    c1993: Psion Series 3a palmtop. Deceased.
    c1994: Amstrad-Sinclair Spectrum +2A. Second-hand freebie. This machine
    has never worked and was put into storage as a possible future
    repair project.
    1995: First PC from Time Computers. Pentium 120MHz, 16MB RAM, 1.6GB HD,
    Windows 95. Cost me £1200!
    Various upgrades to this machine. Within the first 18 months
    there was nothing left of it except the HDD which was still in
    use as a backup slave drive. But I was still making the
    repayments.
    c1995: Psion Series 3c palmtop. Sold on.
    c1995: BBC Master Series. Second-hand freebie. Configuration of this
    machine is too complicated to remember. It had loads of options
    on socketed chips. This machine was in use until around 2000 as a
    title generator for VHS videos, but is now in storage.
    c1996: Psion Series 5 palmtop. Deceased.
    c1997: Psion Series 7. Now retired and in storage.
    c1998: First complete from-scratch home build PC. A Pentium II running
    at about 400MHz, 256 or 512MB RAM, Windows 98.
    Various upgrades to this machine. By the time "it" was relegated
    to use as a server, "this machine" was a Pentium III running
    Windows 2000 at 600MHz-ish with 768MB of RAM and three 100GB+
    HDDs.
    c1999: Compaq Armada 7400 Pentium II laptop. Second-hand. Now
    butchered. I was working on a project to convert this into a
    digital photo frame, but the more I procrastinate the cheaper and
    larger the shop-bought frames are getting. I can't see me ever
    finishing this.
    c2003: Sony Vaio TR1-MP sub-miniature laptop. Reconditioned from Sony.
    Still in use. I recently replaced the dead CDRW/DVD-ROM combo
    drive with a CD/DVD writer.
    c2004: Second complete from-scratch home build PC. Athlon XP3000+, 1GB
    RAM, insanely large (for the time) HDDs, Windows XP.
    Various upgrades to this machine. This is the machine I'm typing
    this message on. Last upgrades were last year: a GeForce 7950GT
    graphics card (last of the high-end AGP cards) and another 2GB of
    RAM last. This is as full as the mainboard can get. My next
    machine will be dual- or quad-core PCIe.
    c2004: HP iPAQ 3xxx Pocket PC.
    c2005: HP iPAQ 4700 Pocket PC. Bought as a replacement for the first
    iPAQ which corrupted, but which I subsequently resurrected. My
    fiancee uses the first one to play Scrabble.
    2007: Toshiba Libretto 100CT sub-miniature laptop. Pentium 266MHz, 32MB
    RAM, 60GB HDD (upgraded). Bought on eBay solely as a host for a
    serial port driven, PC-controlled communications receiver.
    2007: Acer Aspire T180. Athlon X2 3800+, 1GB RAM, 180GB SATA + various
    PATA drives from earlier server. Bought as a server to replace
    the venerable P-III that finally got broken up and binned.

    My God, I've owned some crap over the years.

    --
    Kev
    "In looking at a drop of water under a microscope we find there are twice

  6. Re: machine survey

    Kevin Reilly wrote:

    > My God, I've owned some crap over the years.

    Hi Kevin!

    Me too

    2008/2/22

    1 Sinclair Spectrum 48K Rev.4B
    1 Sinclair Spectrum 128K UK

    1 AMIGA 4000; Cyberstorm 68060; Cybervision Z3; Scandoubler; SCSI

    1 IBM-PC; ASUS P2B-F; iP3-S; 768MB; Matrox Parhelia 128MB 512bit, SCSI
    etc.
    (Main Machine! Totally 100W consumption with 2HD's and 4 CD/DVD...)
    1 PC-Clone; ASUS A7V880 (KT880); 2GB TwinX RAM, Ati X1950XT Overdrive
    Edition AGP off course; 19" IPC Case; (Fun over sense, Machine ;-);
    100W only for the GfX)

    C64+1541 heavy, and one (I don't know why) broken C128D.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  7. Re: machine survey

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:48:00 -0800 (PST), messianic light
    wrote:

    >I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    >coming in the post
    >
    >the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    >what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    ZX Spectrum 48K+
    ZX Spectrum 16K (the above broke and so was I)
    ZX Spectrum +2A
    Acorn A3000 (Really wanted an A5000 but short on cash again)
    Acorn RiscPC SA200 (*2)
    K62/400 PC Laptop (Linux)
    Athlon 700MHz Desktop PC (Linux)

    Currently:

    AthlonXP2400 Desktop PC (Linux)
    MacBookPro 2.2GHz C2D (Tiger)

    And more compute nodes than you can shake an engorged willy at.

    Frink

    --
    Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
    See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

  8. Re: machine survey

    messianic light wrote:
    > I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    > coming in the post
    >
    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    in chronological order;

    Family Computers:

    -286 PC compatible with a 5 1/4 inch floppy disc drive. DOS 5.
    -486 machine with cd drive and 2 gig hard disk. Win 3.11, then Win 95
    upgrade.

    Own Computers:
    -Advent PC from PC woe. 'Willamette' (the **** one) Pentium 4, 40 gig
    hard disk. Windows ME. (this PC is now my server, with an 80 gig drive,
    and XP Pro).
    -Ex BT owned BBC Micro (pretty well knackered from 24/7 use in a
    telephone exchange.
    -Sinclair ZX spectrum +3
    -another old 486 from my uncle's loft, dismantled and the best
    components from both 486s put into the original case. 2gig hard disk,
    win 98se
    -a broken spectrum 48k+ and a broken spectrum board [1]
    -2x BBC micro with DFS and a dual 5 1/4" drive unit.
    -Core2Duo 6600 2.4GHz, 2x 250 gig drives, XP Pro dualbooted with SuSE
    10.2 [2]
    -installed plus3e mod roms to Spectrum +3, added second floppy disk, and
    a spare 40 gig (I think) hard disk.

    [1] has since been mended
    [2] broken, so soon to be formatted and replaced with Ubuntu [3] when I
    can get around to it
    [3] I can't be bothered to fix SuSE again, since I upgraded to 10.2 from
    10.0 there's been loads of things pissing me off anyway.

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  9. Re: machine survey

    Alistair C wrote:

    > in chronological order;
    >
    > Family Computers:
    >
    > -286 PC compatible with a 5 1/4 inch floppy disc drive. DOS 5.
    > -486 machine with cd drive and 2 gig hard disk. Win 3.11, then Win 95
    > upgrade.
    >
    > Own Computers:
    > -Advent PC from PC woe. 'Willamette' (the **** one) Pentium 4, 40 gig
    > hard disk. Windows ME. (this PC is now my server, with an 80 gig drive,
    > and XP Pro).
    > -Ex BT owned BBC Micro (pretty well knackered from 24/7 use in a
    > telephone exchange.
    > -Sinclair ZX spectrum +3
    > -another old 486 from my uncle's loft, dismantled and the best
    > components from both 486s put into the original case. 2gig hard disk,
    > win 98se
    > -a broken spectrum 48k+ and a broken spectrum board [1]
    > -2x BBC micro with DFS and a dual 5 1/4" drive unit.
    > -Core2Duo 6600 2.4GHz, 2x 250 gig drives, XP Pro dualbooted with SuSE
    > 10.2 [2]
    > -installed plus3e mod roms to Spectrum +3, added second floppy disk, and
    > a spare 40 gig (I think) hard disk.
    >
    > [1] has since been mended
    > [2] broken, so soon to be formatted and replaced with Ubuntu [3] when I
    > can get around to it
    > [3] I can't be bothered to fix SuSE again, since I upgraded to 10.2 from
    > 10.0 there's been loads of things pissing me off anyway.

    AARG! how could I forget! The craptop!
    http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/pub...p/craptop.html
    386sx CPU, 3.5" floppy disk drive, no hard disk (it broke)

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  10. Re: machine survey

    messianic light wrote in news:06167b61-09b0-
    48be-b516-39a3a4762a3d@o10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    > coming in the post
    >
    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    ZX81 ("to help me with my homework")

    Acorn Electron ("honestly to help me with my homework")

    C64 (second hand)

    Spectrum +

    Atari ST (second hand - never really used it much though)

    Packard Bell PC (very slow with 56kbps diallup!)

    The next one is harder to pin down, started with a kit from Maplins which
    had the case, keyboard, mouse and motherboard fitted and I slotted the rest
    in myself, been upgrading ever since so I don't have anything left of it,
    currently it runs XP Pro on an AMD 64 processor with 2 gig of memory and
    4Mbps cable internet

    Them were the days!

  11. Re: machine survey

    "messianic light" napísal

    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Spectrum+, then.....

    ....lots of PC configurations starting with Cyrix66MHz...

    now
    Sapphire x1650 512 agp
    CeleronD 2.93G socket 478
    1GB ram
    MB Asrock P4VM8
    SB Audigy
    16Mbit internet access of non stable speed (wireless)

  12. Re: machine survey

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:30:18 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Kevin Reilly:

    > c1991: Casio FX-something or other pocket computer. Glorified calculator
    > with 2-line display, QWERTY keyboard and BASIC. I still use this
    > machine in work today; I wrote a program on it in 1995 for
    > adding and subtracting hours and minutes (something I'm lousy at
    > in mental arithmetic) and I still use it for calculating job
    > times.

    I find the DMS (°'") functions of calculators useful for this task.
    Just treat the degrees as hours.

    0°1'5" - 0°0'10" = 0°0'55"

    The calculator will helpfully convert that to decimal for you as well
    with a press of Shift-DMS (or something similar, I forget the exact
    symbol for this function)

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  13. Re: machine survey

    messianic light meinte:
    > I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    > coming in the post
    >
    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Spectrum 16k - soon upgraded to 48k
    Amstrad CPC 464 (plus Floppy plus howmuchwasit? 256kB RAM expansion)
    Amiga 1000
    a long series of x86 PCs

    Thanks to ebay I've returned to my roots with a Speccy + IF1 and a C64
    (it ain't a Sinclair but it beats any nowadays machine when it comes to
    personality)

    Gregor

    http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese

  14. Re: machine survey

    On Feb 21, 9:48 pm, messianic light
    wrote:
    > I have a ZX81 with detached keyboard not tested yet, but a tested one
    > coming in the post
    >
    > the ZX81 was my first computer, then I went for a Dragon 32
    >
    > what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    VIC20
    C64

    many years break...

    Aldi 1Ghz desktop (not as bad as you'd think)
    Fujistsu Siemens 2Ghz desktop
    Advent 3Ghz laptop (a truly awful piece of work)

    Of course now I have an attic, and a few other places, full of the
    computers I SHOULD have had when I was a kid. I was kinda deprived
    like that.
    I've still never had a ZX machine of any sort, but hey, maybe I'm just
    savouring the moment...

  15. Re: machine survey

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 Chris Young wrote:

    >I find the DMS (°'") functions of calculators useful for this task.
    >Just treat the degrees as hours.

    That's exactly how I did it but with a bit of BASIC you can
    incorporate string slicing and other nifty stuff. With my program I can
    type a line such as

    7.35+8,15+7:22+4:15-17.05-06,22+3.15

    and get a meaningful answer. Separation character for H:M can be pretty
    much anything non-numeric except + or -, and it handles addition and
    subtraction in the same string. If the input contains anything it can't
    parse (such as consecutive operators with no actual numbers in between)
    it just clears the screen and asks for the input again. Not very
    user-friendly, but better than a crash.

    But the core of the routine relies, as you say, on the calculator's
    ability to convert between DMS and decimal and back.

    Amazingly, in terms of hours spent using it, this is probably the most
    useful code I've ever written. And if I'd spent half as much effort
    learning mental arithmetic as I did buggering about with computers, I'd
    probably not have needed it in the first place.

    --
    Kev
    "His mother died when he was seven years old, while his father lived to be

  16. Re: machine survey

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > 1GB ram
    > MB Asrock P4VM8
    > SB Audigy

    P4 crap, with an uncapable sound- what ever.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: 1GB???? this is 1996 stuff..... are you sleeping??

  17. Re: machine survey

    DanSolo wrote:

    > I've still never had a ZX machine of any sort, but hey, maybe I'm just
    > savouring the moment...

    You missed many.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  18. Re: machine survey

    "Daniel Mandic" napísal

    > P.S.: 1GB???? this is 1996 stuff..... are you sleeping??

    I bought 2 slots of 1GB, but it didn't work in this mainboard, so I let it
    be and remained with 2 slots of 512MB apacer.

  19. Re: machine survey

    Quoted text is from
    <06167b61-09b0-48be-b516-39a3a4762a3d@o10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, by
    messianic light

    >what was your first computer and how have you progressed?

    Intel 8080 development kit (1976)
    Zilog Z80 PDS development station (1977)
    Nascom 1
    Sinclair MK14
    ZX80
    ZX81 (at least a dozen)
    Spectrum first issue
    Z80 based wirewrap own design
    TS1000
    QL (with dongle)
    PC1
    Aquarius
    Lambda
    Clone 386
    Network of 5 286 boards in old PC1 cases, one of which had 360mb of
    HD!!! (in 1989 that was a lot)
    Amiga 500
    Multiline BBS based on 4 386sx boards in AT cases - 6 SCSI CD jukeboxes
    (total of 40 CD's online)

    Thereafter it was just Windows based PC's and laptops (actually 2 have
    had Unix). I have PC's with every version of Windows since 3.1 since I
    still have clients on 16-bit Windows. Soon I will scrap them and go the
    VM route.

    I think the Zilog PDS was my all-time favourite.

    Regards
    Chris
    --
    Chris Johnson mobile:+44 (0)7785 302122 Fax: +44 (0)870 0519 818
    EDI website http://www.edimatrix.co.uk

  20. Re: machine survey

    On 22 Feb 2008 23:23:45 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Daniel Mandic:

    > P.S.: 1GB???? this is 1996 stuff..... are you sleeping??

    I don't know anybody who had 1GB in 1996, you were lucky to have 64MB
    back then. Most were struggling to run Windows 95 with 16MB IIRC.