Loudly humming PSU for 128 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Loudly humming PSU for 128 - Sinclair ; Hello All, For my 128 (heathsink) I have an original PSU, my 128k is hardly used, so was the PSU. Anyway, when I am using it right now, it starts to loudly hum after a few minutes, so loud, it ...

  1. Loudly humming PSU for 128

    Hello All,

    For my 128 (heathsink) I have an original PSU, my 128k is hardly used, so
    was the PSU.

    Anyway, when I am using it right now, it starts to loudly hum after a few
    minutes, so loud, it is annoying..... and impossible to enjoy your self with
    the Spectrum while this PSU is buzzing away.....

    I have used it for an extended amount of time though, and it still runs the
    Spectrum ok.

    Does anybody know what could be wrong?

    Do I need to get a replacement PSU or is there a fix??

    Hope to hear from some of you! Please reply on the newsgroup!

    Thanks!!

    Rian

  2. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    Philips Kit wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > For my 128 (heathsink) I have an original PSU, my 128k is hardly used, so
    > was the PSU.
    >
    > Anyway, when I am using it right now, it starts to loudly hum after a few
    > minutes, so loud, it is annoying..... and impossible to enjoy your self with
    > the Spectrum while this PSU is buzzing away.....
    >
    > I have used it for an extended amount of time though, and it still runs the
    > Spectrum ok.
    >
    > Does anybody know what could be wrong?
    >
    > Do I need to get a replacement PSU or is there a fix??
    >
    > Hope to hear from some of you! Please reply on the newsgroup!
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Rian

    it will be the laminations of the iron pieces in the transformer.
    they are all glued together as one block, but sometimes they come loose
    and vibrate as the magnetic field in them changes

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  3. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    Normally its just some loose laminations in the transformer. Being a mains
    device, I'm loathe to make too many suggestions, as taking it apart might
    not be a safe idea. Assuming you are sensible and do not have a death wish,
    and the psu is not running abnormally hot, you might try taking it apart and
    packing it with some foam or similar and then screwing it back together.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Philips Kit" wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > For my 128 (heathsink) I have an original PSU, my 128k is hardly used, so
    > was the PSU.
    >
    > Anyway, when I am using it right now, it starts to loudly hum after a few
    > minutes, so loud, it is annoying..... and impossible to enjoy your self
    > with the Spectrum while this PSU is buzzing away.....
    >
    > I have used it for an extended amount of time though, and it still runs
    > the Spectrum ok.
    >
    > Does anybody know what could be wrong?
    >
    > Do I need to get a replacement PSU or is there a fix??
    >
    > Hope to hear from some of you! Please reply on the newsgroup!
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Rian

  4. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    I openened it up, and put some foam lining inside, screwed it back together,
    and set it on top of a piece of foam next to the 128.

    Its a lot better now.

    however, still annoying enough.

    So lets see, I might try to get a replacement sometime anyway!

    Thanks again!

    Rian

    "Philips Kit" wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > For my 128 (heathsink) I have an original PSU, my 128k is hardly used, so
    > was the PSU.
    >
    > Anyway, when I am using it right now, it starts to loudly hum after a few
    > minutes, so loud, it is annoying..... and impossible to enjoy your self
    > with the Spectrum while this PSU is buzzing away.....
    >
    > I have used it for an extended amount of time though, and it still runs
    > the Spectrum ok.
    >
    > Does anybody know what could be wrong?
    >
    > Do I need to get a replacement PSU or is there a fix??
    >
    > Hope to hear from some of you! Please reply on the newsgroup!
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Rian

  5. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    An exorcism may be necessary. Seek professional assistance.

  6. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    "smike" wrote ...

    > An exorcism may be necessary. Seek professional assistance.

    If he fails to pay his exorcist his power supply may be repossessed! ;-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you don't pay your exorcist,
    will you become repossessed?

  7. Re: Loudly humming PSU for 128

    Yes I know my description was a little off... but did not know how to
    describe it.

    Hope the Exorcist stays away.

    Anyway, PSU is now really quiet after the first 20 minutes...

    So might now need Exorcist at all

    "smike" wrote in message
    > An exorcism may be necessary. Seek professional assistance.

+ Reply to Thread