CSI:ZX - Sinclair

This is a discussion on CSI:ZX - Sinclair ; Nice to see the CSI foley department have been raiding the Sinclair archives again. Further to this thread of a couple of years ago... http://tinyurl.com/2gg5w4 ....tonight's episode of the ever more bizarre CSI:NY featured a deceased physics professor and his ...

  1. CSI:ZX

    Nice to see the CSI foley department have been raiding the Sinclair
    archives again. Further to this thread of a couple of years ago...

    http://tinyurl.com/2gg5w4

    ....tonight's episode of the ever more bizarre CSI:NY featured a deceased
    physics professor and his "time machine", the machine consisting of a
    room full of assorted stock mad scientist hardware (especially the
    ever-popular plasma balls) and accompanied by assorted Hollywood sound
    effects clichés including a very familiar tape loading noise buried in
    the background:

    http://www.denali.org.uk/csi/csiny.mp3

    This isn't perhaps as clear as when it was used in CSI:Miami, due to its
    burial among all the other stock SF effects, but it's definitely in
    there.

    The Spectrum lives on! If only in increasingly far-out US forensics
    procedurals.

    --
    Kev
    "Hotel Bar. No drinking prohibited."

  2. Re: CSI:ZX

    For the record, I understand that the series had become too realistic as
    crooks were using the ideas to try to get away with crimes. I wondered if
    pressure had been put on them to be a bit less accurate.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Kevin Reilly" wrote in message
    > Nice to see the CSI foley department have been raiding the Sinclair
    > archives again. Further to this thread of a couple of years ago...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2gg5w4
    >
    > ...tonight's episode of the ever more bizarre CSI:NY featured a deceased
    > physics professor and his "time machine", the machine consisting of a
    > room full of assorted stock mad scientist hardware (especially the
    > ever-popular plasma balls) and accompanied by assorted Hollywood sound
    > effects clichés including a very familiar tape loading noise buried in
    > the background:
    >
    > http://www.denali.org.uk/csi/csiny.mp3
    >
    > This isn't perhaps as clear as when it was used in CSI:Miami, due to its
    > burial among all the other stock SF effects, but it's definitely in
    > there.
    >
    > The Spectrum lives on! If only in increasingly far-out US forensics
    > procedurals.
    >
    > --
    > Kev
    > __________________________________________________ ________________________
    > "Hotel Bar. No drinking prohibited."
    > Sign in Turkish ****tail lounge

  3. Re: CSI:ZX

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 Brian Gaff wrote:

    >crooks were using the ideas to try to get away with crimes. I wondered if
    >pressure had been put on them to be a bit less accurate.

    It's possible, although I do think the two spin-off series have become
    driven by style rather than substance, with a corresponding increase in
    those more outrageous script elements. The original Vegas-based show is
    still quite dark and serious. If any criminals are getting ideas from a
    CSI series it's probably that one.

    Actually this latest NY episode ultimately turned out to be quite
    clever, the twist being that the physicist who believed he was
    time-travelling was in fact suffering mild seizures and was just
    naturally adept at probability analysis. He wasn't seeing the future,
    just predicting behaviour with uncanny accuracy. I'm glad even CSI:NY
    wasn't far-out enough to suggest actual time-travel was going on,
    although the outrageousness of last week's riff on the Bond movies did
    give me cause for concern.

    Hollywood sound effects do make me laugh, though. It's as though they
    have one master tape with a half-dozen effects labelled "computer" or
    "laboratory" and use them over and over. In the CSI clip, the other
    sound that's mixed in with the Sinclair loading sound (the one that's
    like an electronic trill with a pitch rise at the end) has been around
    for decades. It's shown up in almost every SF series since Buck Rogers.
    Buy some new CDs, guys.

    --
    Kev
    "I can't remember if I told you to stop forgetting."

  4. Re: CSI:ZX

    Yes as well as the ref to Dr Who, there was a sound a bit like the Tardis in
    the sound effects.

    Off topic I know, but in one csi they had a gang using some form of
    ultrasound device to break glass. It was small and I had to laugh, as the
    power needed to do what this did would have meant some kind of massive psu,
    and the hand holding it would have been damaged.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    > On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 Brian Gaff wrote:
    >
    >>crooks were using the ideas to try to get away with crimes. I wondered if
    >>pressure had been put on them to be a bit less accurate.

    > It's possible, although I do think the two spin-off series have become
    > driven by style rather than substance, with a corresponding increase in
    > those more outrageous script elements. The original Vegas-based show is
    > still quite dark and serious. If any criminals are getting ideas from a
    > CSI series it's probably that one.
    >
    > Actually this latest NY episode ultimately turned out to be quite
    > clever, the twist being that the physicist who believed he was
    > time-travelling was in fact suffering mild seizures and was just
    > naturally adept at probability analysis. He wasn't seeing the future,
    > just predicting behaviour with uncanny accuracy. I'm glad even CSI:NY
    > wasn't far-out enough to suggest actual time-travel was going on,
    > although the outrageousness of last week's riff on the Bond movies did
    > give me cause for concern.
    >
    > Hollywood sound effects do make me laugh, though. It's as though they
    > have one master tape with a half-dozen effects labelled "computer" or
    > "laboratory" and use them over and over. In the CSI clip, the other
    > sound that's mixed in with the Sinclair loading sound (the one that's
    > like an electronic trill with a pitch rise at the end) has been around
    > for decades. It's shown up in almost every SF series since Buck Rogers.
    > Buy some new CDs, guys.
    >
    > --
    > Kev
    > __________________________________________________ ________________________
    > "I can't remember if I told you to stop forgetting."
    > Attourney General John Mitchell

  5. Re: CSI:ZX

    Brian Gaff did eloquently scribble:
    > Yes as well as the ref to Dr Who, there was a sound a bit like the Tardis in
    > the sound effects.

    > Off topic I know, but in one csi they had a gang using some form of
    > ultrasound device to break glass. It was small and I had to laugh, as the
    > power needed to do what this did would have meant some kind of massive psu,
    > and the hand holding it would have been damaged.

    Was it a direct contact to the glass device?
    Cos it REALLY wouldn't take that much power to do it if the device could
    scan through the frequencies until it found the glass's resonant frequency.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |