DivIDE Help - Sinclair

This is a discussion on DivIDE Help - Sinclair ; Hi all, After a rather long wait my DivIDE from Papaya labs arrived. I connected it to my spectrum, turned it on and...nothing. The green power LED on the DivIDE glowed, the LEDS on the CFIDE adapter lit up but ...

  1. DivIDE Help

    Hi all,

    After a rather long wait my DivIDE from Papaya labs arrived. I
    connected it to my spectrum, turned it on and...nothing.

    The green power LED on the DivIDE glowed, the LEDS on the CFIDE
    adapter lit up but the spectrum booted normally. No DivIDE screen.
    Pressed the NMI button on the DivIDE. Machine re-booted normally.

    Anyone got any idea what may be wrong?

    I've got an Issue 4S Spectrum 48k+. As far as I can tell the expansion
    port works fine - I've got a kempston joystick interface and that
    works perfectly.

    Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Gareth

  2. Re: DivIDE Help

    gareth wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > After a rather long wait my DivIDE from Papaya labs arrived. I
    > connected it to my spectrum, turned it on and...nothing.
    >
    > The green power LED on the DivIDE glowed, the LEDS on the CFIDE
    > adapter lit up but the spectrum booted normally. No DivIDE screen.
    > Pressed the NMI button on the DivIDE. Machine re-booted normally.
    >
    > Anyone got any idea what may be wrong?
    >
    > I've got an Issue 4S Spectrum 48k+. As far as I can tell the expansion
    > port works fine - I've got a kempston joystick interface and that
    > works perfectly.
    >
    > Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Gareth

    Hmm not too much advice I can offer here, it is unlikely to be down to
    anything plugged into the DivIDE.

    Are any of the chips on the Papaya labs DivIDE socketed? If so you may
    need to check that they haven't come loose in the post.

    You may also be suffering with one of the Z80s which does not support
    the NMI line - this is a known problem faced by some Spectrum users
    alas. However, I am not sure whether the FATware screen should show
    even then.

    It is always worth asking LaesQ (Papaya labs) for guidance - is it
    supplied with FATware installed for example? I don't know

    Rich
    http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

  3. Re: DivIDE Help

    > Hmm not too much advice I can offer here, it is unlikely to be down to
    > anything plugged into the DivIDE.
    >
    > Are any of the chips on the Papaya labs DivIDE socketed? If so you may
    > need to check that they haven't come loose in the post.
    >
    > You may also be suffering with one of the Z80s which does not support
    > the NMI line - this is a known problem faced by some Spectrum users
    > alas. However, I am not sure whether the FATware screen should show
    > even then.
    >
    > It is always worth asking LaesQ (Papaya labs) for guidance - is it
    > supplied with FATware installed for example? I don't know
    >
    > Richhttp://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

    All of the chips are socketed, I'll try that now.

    Yeah, I just read about that - bit worrying. If it is, I may well have
    a DivIDE up for sale

    I've emailed LaesQ but not had a reply back yet - hasn't been long
    since I e-mailed so he might not have seen it yet.

    Oh well, I'll go and puch the chips in and see if that helps.

    Thanks

    Gareth

  4. Re: DivIDE Help

    On 2008-02-01, Rich Mellor wrote:
    > You may also be suffering with one of the Z80s which does not support
    > the NMI line - this is a known problem faced by some Spectrum users
    > alas.

    Close - it's the bad M1 line, and Issue 4S boards seem to be the most
    frequent ones to have a Z80 with a non-functional M1.

    M1 is used by the execution trapper to tell when an instruction fetch is
    occuring. If M1 doesn't work, the execution trapper can't work so the
    DivIDE won't page in on reset, NMI or anything other execution address.
    When resetting, for example, the DivIDE will look for M1 plus 0x0000 on
    the address bus.

    A faulty M1 line will prevent any peripheral that traps the instruction
    fetch from working properly. The only solution is to replace the Z80.

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.