Horace Goes On You Tube - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Horace Goes On You Tube - Sinclair ; I decided to put the following video on You Tube, as this appears to be the first one that is solely related to "Hungry Horace" on the spectrum!! What a scandal ! Enjoy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3r_s2Zc4M...

  1. Horace Goes On You Tube

    I decided to put the following video on You Tube, as this appears to be the
    first one that is solely related to "Hungry Horace" on the spectrum!!

    What a scandal !

    Enjoy...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3r_s2Zc4M

  2. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    I recall playing this game for hours on end back in 1984 or so. I remember clocking the score
    regularly (it wraps around to zero at 65536). Also the longer you play the faster the game gets
    until it gets to the point where the speed/delay counter wraps around, causing the game speed to
    reset back to extremely slow (much slower than the initial starting speed). I can remember going
    through that slow-fast-slow speed loop a few times during my regular hungry horace sessions as well.
    You'd think the game would get boring but I kept playing it just to see how many times I could clock
    the score and speed counters in the one session. Does anybody elso know what I'm describing here?
    Were these well known bugs or am I the only person in the known universe who could be bothered
    playing this game long enough to clock it? Now a video of THAT on youtube would be interesting. Or not.

    Having only recently re-entered the world of speccy ownership after a break of 18 years or so, I
    haven't yet dug horace out to see if the tape still works.

  3. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    Hmm, well, I guess they thought that such a person who would go to the end
    would be so sad as to be impossible to find, but hey, we found one!

    Its a real pity they never actually had some kind of definable end though.

    There is a subject, famous ends of games, or whatever.

    Silkworm was a bit odd, it put everything into a reduced size screen, and
    then ran stupid text something about all having no hard feelings or
    something.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Shannon Dubois" wrote in message
    >I recall playing this game for hours on end back in 1984 or so. I remember
    >clocking the score regularly (it wraps around to zero at 65536). Also the
    >longer you play the faster the game gets until it gets to the point where
    >the speed/delay counter wraps around, causing the game speed to reset back
    >to extremely slow (much slower than the initial starting speed). I can
    >remember going through that slow-fast-slow speed loop a few times during my
    >regular hungry horace sessions as well. You'd think the game would get
    >boring but I kept playing it just to see how many times I could clock the
    >score and speed counters in the one session. Does anybody elso know what
    >I'm describing here? Were these well known bugs or am I the only person in
    >the known universe who could be bothered playing this game long enough to
    >clock it? Now a video of THAT on youtube would be interesting. Or not.
    >

    > Having only recently re-entered the world of speccy ownership after a
    > break of 18 years or so, I haven't yet dug horace out to see if the tape
    > still works.

  4. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    Brian Gaff did eloquently scribble:
    > Hmm, well, I guess they thought that such a person who would go to the end
    > would be so sad as to be impossible to find, but hey, we found one!

    > Its a real pity they never actually had some kind of definable end though.

    > There is a subject, famous ends of games, or whatever.

    > Silkworm was a bit odd, it put everything into a reduced size screen, and
    > then ran stupid text something about all having no hard feelings or
    > something.

    To be fair, Hungry Horace was just a pacman clone, so it's right it never
    had an end in that context.

  5. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    I don't even think the programmer of the game had tested it as much as you
    did!

    "Shannon Dubois" wrote in message
    >I recall playing this game for hours on end back in 1984 or so. I remember
    >clocking the score regularly (it wraps around to zero at 65536). Also the
    >longer you play the faster the game gets until it gets to the point where
    >the speed/delay counter wraps around, causing the game speed to reset back
    >to extremely slow (much slower than the initial starting speed). I can
    >remember going through that slow-fast-slow speed loop a few times during my
    >regular hungry horace sessions as well. You'd think the game would get
    >boring but I kept playing it just to see how many times I could clock the
    >score and speed counters in the one session. Does anybody elso know what
    >I'm describing here? Were these well known bugs or am I the only person in
    >the known universe who could be bothered playing this game long enough to
    >clock it? Now a video of THAT on youtube would be interesting. Or not.
    >

    > Having only recently re-entered the world of speccy ownership after a
    > break of 18 years or so, I haven't yet dug horace out to see if the tape
    > still works.

  6. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    Well it at least did not have loads of swearing and rude comments about
    bloody hackers as some games seemed to have. I'm just trying to recall the
    name of the platform game with more swearing than I'd seen for ages.

    Was it Kokotoni Wilf or Gilligan's Gold??

    Brian

    --
    "Antony Edge" wrote in message
    >I don't even think the programmer of the game had tested it as much as you
    >did!
    >
    > "Shannon Dubois" wrote in message
    >>I recall playing this game for hours on end back in 1984 or so. I remember
    >>clocking the score regularly (it wraps around to zero at 65536). Also the
    >>longer you play the faster the game gets until it gets to the point where
    >>the speed/delay counter wraps around, causing the game speed to reset back
    >>to extremely slow (much slower than the initial starting speed). I can
    >>remember going through that slow-fast-slow speed loop a few times during
    >>my regular hungry horace sessions as well. You'd think the game would get
    >>boring but I kept playing it just to see how many times I could clock the
    >>score and speed counters in the one session. Does anybody elso know what
    >>I'm describing here? Were these well known bugs or am I the only person in
    >>the known universe who could be bothered playing this game long enough to
    >>clock it? Now a video of THAT on youtube would be interesting. Or not.
    >>

    >> Having only recently re-entered the world of speccy ownership after a
    >> break of 18 years or so, I haven't yet dug horace out to see if the tape
    >> still works.

  7. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    On Jan 29, 5:50 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > To be fair, Hungry Horace was just a pacman clone, so it's right it never
    > had an end in that context.

    Er, arcade PacMan *did* have an end of sorts (albeit an unintended
    one); on reaching (or passing, I've forgotten which) level 255, the
    maze becomes corrupted and further progress is impossible. It's a
    well-documented phenomenon (ISTR I first read about it in C&VG, back
    when PacMan was new)...

  8. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    On Jan 29, 5:40 pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

    > There is a subject, famous ends of games, or whatever.

    Ah yes, let us not forget -- tons of
    endings.

  9. Re: Horace Goes On You Tube

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 02:49:57 -0800 (PST) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > Er, arcade PacMan *did* have an end of sorts (albeit an unintended
    > one); on reaching (or passing, I've forgotten which) level 255, the
    > maze becomes corrupted and further progress is impossible. It's a
    > well-documented phenomenon (ISTR I first read about it in C&VG, back
    > when PacMan was new)...

    How much did it cost them to get that far and find out?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |