Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128? - Sinclair ; X-No-Archive: yes The Sinclair Spectrum, had many unique games that were either never ported to the C64 or that were simply bad, extremly slow and unplayable. I wonder if there's a Sinclair Spectrum emulator for the C128 which has a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    The Sinclair Spectrum, had many unique games that were
    either never ported to the C64 or that were simply bad,
    extremly slow and unplayable.

    I wonder if there's a Sinclair Spectrum emulator for the C128
    which has a Z80 and 128K RAM and stuff to play the 48K
    Spectrum games.

    Does such an emulator exist? Is there a way to emulate the
    AY sound chip in a C128? Or is there a way to build-in
    such a chip?

  2. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    "C256" napísal
    > Is there a way to emulate the
    > AY sound chip in a C128? Or is there a way to build-in
    > such a chip?

    No, it's almost impossible...

  3. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    "Bohus Král" wrote in message news:4798a656$0$90270$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...

    > "C256" napísal
    >> Is there a way to emulate the
    >> AY sound chip in a C128? Or is there a way to build-in
    >> such a chip?
    >>

    > No, it's almost impossible...

    That`s like asking if theres` an emulutor for the XBOX-360
    on the XBOX.

    XBOX soft-modded !!Playing .avi`s (xid)
    & .....
    Look up google. on how to do it.

  4. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    A more accurate comparison would be like asking if there was a
    Nintendo emulator for the C128, since they both share the same CPU.

    Remember, any machine that is going to be emulated typically requires
    a machine that is an order of magnitude faster and more powerfull to
    actually do it.

  5. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    On Jan 24, 10:32*am, David Murray wrote:
    > A more accurate comparison would be like asking if there was a
    > Nintendo emulator for the C128, since they both share the same CPU.

    how about a converter? shouldn't be too hard to do this:

    IF (spectrum specific) THEN (change to C128)

    IF (not spectrum specific) THEN (leave it alone)

    does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    Rich

  6. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    wrote in message
    On Jan 24, 10:32 am, David Murray wrote:
    > A more accurate comparison would be like asking if there was a
    > Nintendo emulator for the C128, since they both share the same CPU.

    how about a converter? shouldn't be too hard to do this:

    IF (spectrum specific) THEN (change to C128)

    IF (not spectrum specific) THEN (leave it alone)

    does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    Rich

    he C128 has 2 cpu's the main one a 6502 for compatibility with the 64 and a
    z80 for use with cp/m so yes its has the same cpu.

    Graham

  7. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    wrote:

    > how about a converter? shouldn't be too hard to do this:
    > IF (spectrum specific) THEN (change to C128)
    > IF (not spectrum specific) THEN (leave it alone)

    I don't suppose that would be practical for most programs you'd want to
    emulate. A lot of things call into the ROM to perform common functions,
    and that's machine-specific. You'd also have severe headaches trying to
    convert things where the facilities just aren't the same (e.g. size and
    internal layout of the screen display).

    Eq.

  8. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    Know1 wrote:

    > That`s like asking if theres` an emulutor for the XBOX-360
    > on the XBOX.
    >
    > XBOX soft-modded !!Playing .avi`s (xid)
    > & .....
    > Look up google. on how to do it.

    :-)

    --

  9. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    On Jan 24, 1:36 pm, "C256" wrote:

    Says it all, really...

    If you're serious about getting replies, why use the "my posts aren't
    worth reading" header?

  10. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    wrote ...

    < does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    The C128 has a Z80 as a secondary processor. The primary processor is an
    8502, which is a derivative of the 6502 and 6510.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you don't pay your exorcist,
    will you become repossessed?

  11. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    Sam Gillett did eloquently scribble:

    > wrote ...
    >>

    > < does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    > The C128 has a Z80 as a secondary processor. The primary processor is an
    > 8502, which is a derivative of the 6502 and 6510.

    But the real point is, the z80 in the c128 is all but worthless due to the
    terrible clockspeed. Whoever designed that machine just didn't think it
    through.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    wrote ...

    > Sam Gillett did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> wrote ...
    >>>

    >> < does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    >> The C128 has a Z80 as a secondary processor. The primary processor is an
    >> 8502, which is a derivative of the 6502 and 6510.

    > But the real point is, the z80 in the c128 is all but worthless due to the
    > terrible clockspeed. Whoever designed that machine just didn't think it
    > through.

    The Z80 was added to give the machine the ability to run CP/M software. The
    overall design of the C128 is really quite good.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Why is the third hand on a watch
    called the second hand?

  13. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    Whoever designed that machine just didn't think it
    > through.

    I'd invite you to go read the postings by Bil Herd on USENET. The C128
    was very much designed with a lot of thought. If Bil and his team
    hadn't thought it through, well, who knows what we would have gotten.

    Oh, wait, I do know. It's called the Plus/4. It's useless to repeat
    the very well-written posts by Bil on c.s.c. Go read them.

    Jim

  14. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    > Oh, wait, I do know. It's called the Plus/4. It's useless to repeat
    > the very well-written posts by Bil on c.s.c. Go read them.

    I thin it isnot impossible to make an emulator.

    There was a computer in Hungary called Primo (http://
    primo.homeserver.hu) which had a z80, and had different memory layout
    than Spectrum.
    If you moded it to access all the memory as RAM, then you could load
    16k from tape, which had a modified spectrum rom.
    If there was a rom call on the quasi emulated machine, the modified
    rom doas the same effect as the original, nad of-course, the modified
    ROM did it differently, because, the internals of the Primo was
    different than the Spectrum.

    This kind of emulation was not perfect of-course, a much more Spectrum
    specific code, or non standard call can cause errors.

    If there is modified spectrum ROM for the C128, it can does the same
    as the Spectrum.
    Maybe the hardest thing the different graphical memory structure and/
    or the speed.

    But we can ask a similar question.
    Is there VC20 emulator for the C64 or 128?
    Nearly same processor and other chips.

    Viktor

  15. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    I'd imagine if there was it would be a bit slow, the main problem is going
    to be the screenemulation I'd imagine

    I used the one on the Memotech, and even that was a bit strange graphically.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "C256" wrote in message news:fna4d8$fsf$1@aioe.org...

    > The Sinclair Spectrum, had many unique games that were
    > either never ported to the C64 or that were simply bad,
    > extremly slow and unplayable.
    >
    > I wonder if there's a Sinclair Spectrum emulator for the C128
    > which has a Z80 and 128K RAM and stuff to play the 48K
    > Spectrum games.
    >
    > Does such an emulator exist? Is there a way to emulate the
    > AY sound chip in a C128? Or is there a way to build-in
    > such a chip?

  16. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    Not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying modify the software to run
    on the c128? Might be sort of possible, basicode style, but not machine code
    as lots of dirty programming exploiting the Speccy's simple architecture was
    used.

    If the C128 had been a great success, then the games would have been ported
    over anyhow.

    Brian

    --
    wrote in message
    On Jan 24, 10:32 am, David Murray wrote:
    > A more accurate comparison would be like asking if there was a
    > Nintendo emulator for the C128, since they both share the same CPU.

    how about a converter? shouldn't be too hard to do this:

    IF (spectrum specific) THEN (change to C128)

    IF (not spectrum specific) THEN (leave it alone)

    does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    Rich

  17. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    Yes, but they were stuffed by the other hardware in the machine thus without
    a lot more work, upping the Z80 speed would not have been possible.

    Brian

    --
    wrote in message
    > Sam Gillett did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> wrote ...
    >>>

    >> < does c128 have the same CPU as spectrum?

    >> The C128 has a Z80 as a secondary processor. The primary processor is an
    >> 8502, which is a derivative of the 6502 and 6510.

    > But the real point is, the z80 in the c128 is all but worthless due to the
    > terrible clockspeed. Whoever designed that machine just didn't think it
    > through.
    > --
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    > | spike1@freenet.co.uk |
    > |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that
    > doesn't |
    > | in | suck is probably the day they start making
    > |
    > | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

  18. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    On Jan 24, 1:36 pm, "C256" wrote:

    > The Sinclair Spectrum, had many unique games that were
    > either never ported to the C64 or that were simply bad,
    > extremly slow and unplayable.
    >
    > I wonder if there's a Sinclair Spectrum emulator for the C128
    > which has a Z80 and 128K RAM and stuff to play the 48K
    > Spectrum games.
    >
    > Does such an emulator exist? Is there a way to emulate the
    > AY sound chip in a C128? Or is there a way to build-in
    > such a chip?

    There sure is emulator... boot into C64 mode and load
    ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/si...4/c642spec.zip
    Well it'll run some BASIC games, but that's as close as you're ever
    going to get I'm afraid!

  19. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    There is no reason you couldn't write a Spectrum emulator for the C128.
    It would be pretty slow though. Although you can't use the 8502 and the
    Z80 at the same time I don't see why you couldn't use the 8502 to handle
    the hardware emulation and just use the Z80 when you needed it.

  20. Re: Is there a Spectrum emulator for the C128?

    Andrew Owen writes:

    >There is no reason you couldn't write a Spectrum emulator for the C128.
    >It would be pretty slow though. Although you can't use the 8502 and the
    >Z80 at the same time I don't see why you couldn't use the 8502 to handle
    >the hardware emulation and just use the Z80 when you needed it.

    The Spectrum doesn't have hardware sprites, so the VDC could help you out.

    --
    Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
    personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

+ Reply to Thread