How to get a divIDE - Sinclair

This is a discussion on How to get a divIDE - Sinclair ; What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest way to get a divIDE interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I don't think they are worth 60 pounds to buy and I'd happily build a kit if ...

  1. How to get a divIDE

    What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest way to get a divIDE
    interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I don't think they are worth 60 pounds to buy and
    I'd happily build a kit if I could get one. Is anybody currently selling these at a reasonable price?

  2. Re: How to get a divIDE

    Shannon Dubois wrote:
    > What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest
    > way to get a divIDE interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I
    > don't think they are worth 60 pounds to buy and I'd happily build a kit
    > if I could get one. Is anybody currently selling these at a reasonable
    > price?

    It doesn't look like they are right now, no. The places to keep an eye
    on are:
    http://www.papayalabs.co.uk/shop/ - last batch now sold out, and no news
    of another one except "in the new year"
    http://divide.cz/?x=eshop&lang=en - 20 built units and 20 kits "on
    away", which I assume means they're awaiting delivery.

    If you can't wait for either of those then your only other option is to
    source the components yourself; the one difficult bit will be getting
    the GALs programmed. Everything else is available from divide.cz (for
    the PCB and edge connector) and your local friendly electronics supplier
    (for everything else).

  3. Re: How to get a divIDE

    On 2008-01-21, Shannon Dubois wrote:
    > What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest
    > way to get a divIDE
    > interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I don't think they are
    > worth 60 pounds to buy and

    IIRC, Papaya labs sell a kit for around 15 pounds, and fully built for
    25. That information may be out of date, but I seem to remember that
    being the case as of last October.

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  4. Re: How to get a divIDE

    Dylan Smith wrote:
    > On 2008-01-21, Shannon Dubois wrote:
    >> What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest
    >> way to get a divIDE
    >> interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I don't think they are
    >> worth 60 pounds to buy and

    > IIRC, Papaya labs sell a kit for around 15 pounds, and fully built for
    > 25. That information may be out of date, but I seem to remember that
    > being the case as of last October.

    Yes if you don't want the extra functionality of a DivIDE Plus, then
    Papaya labs are your best bet for a low cost kit.

    DivIDE Plus has a completely redesigned circuit board and extra
    functionality, is ready assembled and tested, and cased, hence the extra
    cost. Looking at some comments on World of Spectrum, you are probably
    better to purchase ready assembled anyway, as several people have
    problems getting the kits built to a high enough standard to ensure
    reliability.

    For those not in the know, the extra features of the DivIDE Plus are:

    - Through connector for joystick adaptors etc, and potentially the
    ability to connect a PlusD disk interface as well
    - Built in compact flash AND IDE connector - no need for external power
    for compact flash cards
    - All firmwares are installed, and can be easily switched between,
    rather than having to reprogram the Flash EPROM.
    - It supports ResiDOS which is the most flexible firmware (this will not
    run on an original DivIDE).
    - A proper manual (can be downloaded or printed)
    - Works in 128K mode
    - More features can be added later, such as CP/M and other firmwares.

    Rich
    http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/spectr...m_storage.html

  5. Re: How to get a divIDE

    On 2008-01-23, Rich Mellor wrote:
    > DivIDE Plus has a completely redesigned circuit board and extra
    > functionality, is ready assembled and tested, and cased, hence the extra
    > cost. Looking at some comments on World of Spectrum, you are probably
    > better to purchase ready assembled anyway, as several people have
    > problems getting the kits built to a high enough standard to ensure
    > reliability.

    Specifically, the kits themselves are great (a very nice factory made
    PTH double sided PCB, with all the parts) but the parts density is
    reasonably high - so you need to be able to solder neatly and
    competently to build it. It's not difficult if you regularly build up
    projects in kit form, but it probably shouldn't be your first kit built
    project.

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  6. Re: How to get a divIDE

    On Jan 23, 9:33*am, Rich Mellor
    wrote:
    > Dylan Smith wrote:
    > > On 2008-01-21, Shannon Dubois wrote:
    > >> What's the cheapest, well, not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest
    > >> way to get a divIDE
    > >> interface without sacrificing a couple of limbs? I don't think they are
    > >> worth 60 pounds to buy and

    > > IIRC, Papaya labs sell a kit for around 15 pounds, and fully built for
    > > 25. That information may be out of date, but I seem to remember that
    > > being the case as of last October.

    > Yes if you don't want the extra functionality of a DivIDE Plus, then
    > Papaya labs are your best bet for a low cost kit.
    >
    > DivIDE Plus has a completely redesigned circuit board and extra
    > functionality, is ready assembled and tested, and cased, hence the extra
    > cost. *Looking at some comments on World of Spectrum, you are probably
    > better to purchase ready assembled anyway, as several people have
    > problems getting the kits built to a high enough standard to ensure
    > reliability.
    >
    > For those not in the know, the extra features of the DivIDE Plus are:
    >
    > - Through connector for joystick adaptors etc, and potentially the
    > ability to connect a PlusD disk interface as well
    > - Built in compact flash AND IDE connector - no need for external power
    > for compact flash cards
    > - All firmwares are installed, and can be easily switched between,
    > rather than having to reprogram the Flash EPROM.
    > - It supports ResiDOS which is the most flexible firmware (this will not
    > run on an original DivIDE).
    > - A proper manual (can be downloaded or printed)
    > - Works in 128K mode
    > - More features can be added later, such as CP/M and other firmwares.
    >
    > Richhttp://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/spectrum/spectrum_storage.html

    Have put in order, fanbloodytastic! )

    Kev

  7. Re: How to get a divIDE

    >For those not in the know, the extra features of the DivIDE Plus are:
    >
    >- Through connector for joystick adaptors etc, and potentially the
    >ability to connect a PlusD disk interface as well
    >- Built in compact flash AND IDE connector - no need for external power
    >for compact flash cards
    >- All firmwares are installed, and can be easily switched between,
    >rather than having to reprogram the Flash EPROM.
    >- It supports ResiDOS which is the most flexible firmware (this will not
    >run on an original DivIDE).
    >- A proper manual (can be downloaded or printed)
    >- Works in 128K mode
    >- More features can be added later, such as CP/M and other firmwares.

    Not sure if the extra cost and price of more than twice of the normal version
    justifies that... anyway, the only plus in my mind is the ResiDos (if you really
    need that, for me FatWare .Z80 and .TAP loading is enough) and the throughput
    connector (if you need something else to hook to your speccy). The original
    works in 128k mode (all 128k games work fine) - only 128k Basic Editor doesn't
    work with it.
    But if those two extra features (ResiDos and through connector) are what you
    need and you can pay twice the price of the normal divide then go for it.

    TC
    -----------
    Tomaz Kac, tomcat@sgn.net
    /*--------------------------------------------------------*/
    float l,I,Q,_,o;int E;main(){I=1.125;while(I>=-1.225){for(l=
    -2;l<=1;l+=3/79.0){Q=_=0;for(E=127;Q*Q+_*_<4.0&&--E>32{o=Q
    ;Q=Q*Q-_*_+l;_=2*o*_+I;}putchar(E);}putchar(10);I-=9/88.0;}}

  8. Re: How to get a divIDE

    Tomaz Kac wrote:
    > But if those two extra features (ResiDos and through connector) are what you
    > need and you can pay twice the price of the normal divide then go for it.

    To be fair, the fact that someone is actually building it right now, as
    a real commercial product (as opposed to "we'll do another batch in a
    couple of months. Maybe. If we're not too busy...") is probably worth
    something too. (Even if they're not being built as quickly as people
    would like, from what I hear.)

+ Reply to Thread