OT: WinVista permissions - Sinclair

This is a discussion on OT: WinVista permissions - Sinclair ; I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence can't write to the Program Files folder. How do I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: OT: WinVista permissions

  1. OT: WinVista permissions

    I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    can't write to the Program Files folder.

    How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    install Win98 instead? :-)

  2. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    korax1214@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    > can't write to the Program Files folder.


    > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    > install Win98 instead? :-)


    I think you know the answer I'll give


    --
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    On Jan 16, 1:05 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > korax1...@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    > > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    > > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    > > can't write to the Program Files folder.
    > > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    > > install Win98 instead? :-)

    >
    > I think you know the answer I'll give
    >


    Indeed, but although I have a copy of Linux waiting to be installed,
    sadly my only copy of Partition Magic is on floppies. :-( I'll have
    to take them to a friend's machine and convert them to a bootable
    CD...

    P.S. Isn't broadband wonderful, especially the way it's always on?
    Particularly (as in my case) when someone leaves their network wide
    open, so I can get online for free... :-)

  4. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    > Indeed, but although I have a copy of Linux waiting to be installed,
    > sadly my only copy of Partition Magic is on floppies. :-( I'll
    > have to take them to a friend's machine and convert them to a
    > bootable CD...


    http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ - this may do what you need without
    the hassle of floppy swappy. It has full support for NTFS.

    > P.S. Isn't broadband wonderful, especially the way it's always on?
    > Particularly (as in my case) when someone leaves their network wide
    > open, so I can get online for free... :-)


    The live CD is quite small so you shouldn't feel too guilty about your
    theft

  5. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    korax1214@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > On Jan 16, 1:05 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> korax1...@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>
    >> > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    >> > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    >> > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    >> > can't write to the Program Files folder.
    >> > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    >> > install Win98 instead? :-)

    >>
    >> I think you know the answer I'll give
    >>


    > Indeed, but although I have a copy of Linux waiting to be installed,
    > sadly my only copy of Partition Magic is on floppies. :-(


    Um... you DO realise that linux has its own partitioners... don't you?
    Always puzzled me why people use not having partition magic readily
    available as an excuse as if it's even a good option.



    I'll have
    > to take them to a friend's machine and convert them to a bootable
    > CD...


    > P.S. Isn't broadband wonderful, especially the way it's always on?
    > Particularly (as in my case) when someone leaves their network wide
    > open, so I can get online for free... :-)


    Cheeeeeeky...
    Watch it though, for you could get done under the computer misuse act if you
    get caught. You'd prolly get sent to a nice tropical island famed for it's
    orange leisurewear.

    --
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. Re: WinVista permissions

    Are you logged in as admin?

    I do not have Vista, but in my opinion, its far too much of a nanny program
    when it comes to most things. It assumes everyone is an idiot who will
    install viruses and spyware at the slightest whim.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


    wrote in message
    news:e1b4204f-0fb3-485b-9785-6900a9765e29@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
    > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    > can't write to the Program Files folder.
    >
    > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    > install Win98 instead? :-)




  7. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    Install xp and leave it at that. Its now more stable than 98 with all the
    updates.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


    wrote in message
    news:0b4d0ca0-84d5-437d-a8f7-32c12fa8cd29@v67g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > On Jan 16, 1:05 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> korax1...@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>
    >> > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    >> > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    >> > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    >> > can't write to the Program Files folder.
    >> > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    >> > install Win98 instead? :-)

    >>
    >> I think you know the answer I'll give
    >>

    >
    > Indeed, but although I have a copy of Linux waiting to be installed,
    > sadly my only copy of Partition Magic is on floppies. :-( I'll have
    > to take them to a friend's machine and convert them to a bootable
    > CD...
    >
    > P.S. Isn't broadband wonderful, especially the way it's always on?
    > Particularly (as in my case) when someone leaves their network wide
    > open, so I can get online for free... :-)




  8. Re: WinVista permissions

    On 16 Gen, 10:28, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > Are you logged in as admin?
    >
    > I do not have Vista, but in my opinion, its far too much of *a nanny program
    > when it comes to most things. It assumes everyone is an idiot who *will
    > install viruses and spyware at the slightest whim.


    Saying "everyone", are you talking about Windows or its user? ;-)

    Mentore

  9. Re: WinVista permissions

    wrote in message
    news:e1b4204f-0fb3-485b-9785-6900a9765e29@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

    > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    > install Win98 instead? :-)


    Right-click the shortcut to 7-Zip and select "Run As Administrator", you'll
    get a UAC confirmation prompt and then Windows will launch 7-Zip elevated,
    from which it will be able to write to the Program Files directory.

    AndyC



  10. Re: WinVista permissions

    Well, I am talking about Windows Vista, no need to get personal, though the
    guy has been knocked off the richest man pedestal this year by some jumped
    up telecom magnate from Mexico.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    in the display name may be lost.
    Blind user, so no pictures please!
    "Mentore" wrote in message
    news:adc444ef-58c6-457c-8298-e8215e5ac0ed@y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    On 16 Gen, 10:28, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > Are you logged in as admin?
    >
    > I do not have Vista, but in my opinion, its far too much of a nanny
    > program
    > when it comes to most things. It assumes everyone is an idiot who will
    > install viruses and spyware at the slightest whim.


    Saying "everyone", are you talking about Windows or its user? ;-)

    Mentore



  11. Re: WinVista permissions

    wrote in message
    news:e1b4204f-0fb3-485b-9785-6900a9765e29@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
    > I've today tried to install GflSDK (Graphics Library Software
    > Development Kit) and 7-Zip on my new laptop computer, but this keeps
    > failing because (apparently) 7-Zip doesn't have admin permission hence
    > can't write to the Program Files folder.
    >
    > How do I give a program admin permission? Or should I ditch WinV and
    > install Win98 instead? :-)


    I've run into problems like this before with vista, and it's annoying.

    You can get around this by installing to anywhere else other than \Program
    Files.

    Or by running the install program as administrator (right click on the EXE
    and choose "Run As Administrator" from the menu.)

    /Chipmunk.



  12. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    In my experience Vista isn't a bad OS. However, it now takes almost as
    long as Linux to configure it to work the way you want it to. If I have
    to run Windows my own personal preference remains Server 2003. I've just
    had to reinstall Fedora 8 after doing something very silly in Yum
    Extender. On the plus side MySQL is now working properly. As many of you
    will recall, I'm a Mac user and have never owned a PC. However, my
    favourite OS right now is Solaris. It's an enterprise class OS and it's
    free!

  13. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    Andrew Owen wrote:

    > In my experience Vista isn't a bad OS. However, it now takes almost
    > as long as Linux to configure it to work the way you want it to. If I
    > have to run Windows my own personal preference remains Server 2003.
    > I've just had to reinstall Fedora 8 after doing something very silly
    > in Yum Extender. On the plus side MySQL is now working properly. As
    > many of you will recall, I'm a Mac user and have never owned a PC.
    > However, my favourite OS right now is Solaris. It's an enterprise
    > class OS and it's free!


    Hi Andrew!


    Not to praise MS (they done many crap too), but XP is quiet well.
    Linux is many configurable and makes much fun on a nice PC.

    Vista... well. It seems to work on a 2Ghz Barton AMD :-|



    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: Whas there something about Mac's ;-)(?)

  14. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    On Jan 16, 7:37 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Um... you DO realise that linux has its own partitioners... don't you?
    > Always puzzled me why people use not having partition magic readily
    > available as an excuse as if it's even a good option.


    Actually, Partition Magic 5 *is* quite good. And Boot Magic is, in my
    experience, far better than the boot manager included with Fedora

    > > P.S. Isn't broadband wonderful, especially the way it's always on?
    > > Particularly (as in my case) when someone leaves their network wide
    > > open, so I can get online for free... :-)

    >
    > Cheeeeeeky...
    > Watch it though, for you could get done under the computer misuse act if you
    > get caught.


    I've finally (because of reliability, or the lack thereof,
    considerations) stumped up 100 (less the traditional penny change)
    for a Three wireless USB modem (pity the built-in software is only for
    Windows or MacOS) and 10 for 30 days' (or 1Gb, whichever comes first)
    usage.

    The main reason for this post is that after a week struggling to use
    Vista, I've grown sick of it and am going to upgrade to XP Pro as soon
    as my CD arrives from Digital Sunrise. It's beyond me why so many PC
    retailers say "we recommend Windows Vista" unless they've omitted the
    rest of the sentence: "because we reckon our customers are all idiots
    or masochists or both". :-) The reasons why I *don't* recommend
    Vista include:

    * As has already been said (e.g. in the post which started this
    thread), Vista treats all users as morons who know nothing about
    computers and will willingly install spyware and viruses, delete or
    overwrite system files, etc.

    * Many programs I want to run (e.g. Borland Delphi, Video Strip Poker
    (fnar), etc.) are not compatible with Vista. This includes the vast
    array of progs whose helpfiles are in the .hlp format. I suspect it
    also includes the drivers for the camera I bought from Superdrug only
    two days ago.

    Vista is even more crap than ME. Avoid...

  15. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    > Vista is even more crap than ME. Avoid...


    Hi!


    Then it is the best choice for unexperienced Internet User
    (as ME was.... better a crash than a full time-out ;-))



    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  16. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    Daniel Mandic did eloquently scribble:
    > korax1214@gmail.com wrote:


    >> Vista is even more crap than ME. Avoid...


    > Hi!



    > Then it is the best choice for unexperienced Internet User
    > (as ME was.... better a crash than a full time-out ;-))


    Mandic's as insane as usual I see.
    --
    | |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
    | |can't move, with no hope of rescue. |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
    | in |good to you so far... |
    | Computer Science | -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|

  17. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Mandic's as insane as usual I see.


    Digital sane... (digital trick, digital sanity ;-))



    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  18. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    Daniel Mandic wrote:

    (digital trick, digital sanity ;-))

    Or a virtual 'ME environment' in Vista ;-)

  19. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    wrote in message
    news:96a4f842-705a-4fa7-b7a1-e109c5e13317@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    On Jan 16, 7:37 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Many programs I want to run (e.g. Borland Delphi, Video Strip Poker
    > (fnar), etc.) are not compatible with Vista.


    I'm using Borland Delphi in Vista no problems here

    > This includes the vast array of progs whose helpfiles are in the .hlp
    > format.


    You can download the fix for this from Microsoft - I did, and all my .hlp
    files work just fine.

    D.


  20. Re: OT: WinVista permissions

    On Jan 16, 2:08 am, fuzzix wrote:

    > The live CD is quite small so you shouldn't feel too guilty about your
    > theft


    Whether logging-on to an unsecured network is "theft" is debateable;
    se, for instance, <http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?
    t=49945> and the links from it (I'm "robert@fm" on that board and many
    others).

    For a start, how does one know for sure whether or not someone is
    willing for all and sundry to access their internet connection? To my
    mind, the only sure way is if it's a secured network, in which case
    the answer is "not". Likewise, if the answer is "not" then the
    network *should* be secured, and more fool the owner if it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread