TS 2040 printer value? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on TS 2040 printer value? - Sinclair ; I picked up a Timex-Sinclair 2040 printer awhile back, with a paper roll still in it. I've got it powered up and it can advance the paper and all, but I don't have a computer to hook it up to, ...

  1. TS 2040 printer value?

    I picked up a Timex-Sinclair 2040 printer awhile back, with a paper
    roll still in it. I've got it powered up and it can advance the paper
    and all, but I don't have a computer to hook it up to, so I don't know
    if it actually prints. (It looks like it's in pretty perfect shape,
    but you never know.) Can anybody give me a range I might expect to get
    if I sold it? I have a few old systems, but a Sinclair isn't one of
    them, so I might just make some more space.

  2. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    "Miles Attacca" wrote in message
    >I picked up a Timex-Sinclair 2040 printer awhile back, with a paper
    > roll still in it. I've got it powered up and it can advance the paper
    > and all, but I don't have a computer to hook it up to, so I don't know
    > if it actually prints. (It looks like it's in pretty perfect shape,
    > but you never know.) Can anybody give me a range I might expect to get
    > if I sold it? I have a few old systems, but a Sinclair isn't one of
    > them, so I might just make some more space.

    They made zillions of them so it can't be worth too much.
    You can test it this way.

    "The printer has simple controls - an ON key and an OFF key. You can also
    test the printer by pressing the OFF button while pressing the ON button. If
    the printer is working correctly, it will print rows of 1's and 8's until
    you stop it by pressing OFF again. Furthermore, you can advance the paper by
    pressing ON, if the printer is already ON."

  3. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    Thanks. It seems to print perfectly after all these years. I love old
    tech.

    On Jan 13, 8:50 am, "RED" wrote:
    > "Miles Attacca" wrote in message

    > >I picked up a Timex-Sinclair 2040 printer awhile back, with a paper
    > > roll still in it. I've got it powered up and it can advance the paper
    > > and all, but I don't have a computer to hook it up to, so I don't know
    > > if it actually prints. (It looks like it's in pretty perfect shape,
    > > but you never know.) Can anybody give me a range I might expect to get
    > > if I sold it? I have a few old systems, but a Sinclair isn't one of
    > > them, so I might just make some more space.

    > They made zillions of them so it can't be worth too much.
    > You can test it this way.
    >
    > "The printer has simple controls - an ON key and an OFF key. You can also
    > test the printer by pressing the OFF button while pressing the ON button. If
    > the printer is working correctly, it will print rows of 1's and 8's until
    > you stop it by pressing OFF again. Furthermore, you can advance the paper by
    > pressing ON, if the printer is already ON."

  4. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    Incidentally, were there ever any adapters made to interface Sinclair
    peripherals with a PC? It'd be neat to set up a small quiet printer
    like this as a logging device or something.

    On Jan 13, 9:26*pm, Miles Attacca wrote:
    > Thanks. It seems to print perfectly after all these years. I love old
    > tech.
    >
    > On Jan 13, 8:50 am, "RED" wrote:
    >
    > > "Miles Attacca" wrote in message

    > > >I picked up a Timex-Sinclair 2040 printer awhile back, with a paper
    > > > roll still in it. I've got it powered up and it can advance the paper
    > > > and all, but I don't have a computer to hook it up to, so I don't know
    > > > if it actually prints. (It looks like it's in pretty perfect shape,
    > > > but you never know.) Can anybody give me a range I might expect to get
    > > > if I sold it? I have a few old systems, but a Sinclair isn't one of
    > > > them, so I might just make some more space.

    > > They made zillions of them so it can't be worth too much.
    > > You can test it this way.

    > > "The printer has simple controls - an ON key and an OFF key. You can also
    > > test the printer by pressing the OFF button while pressing the ON button.. If
    > > the printer is working correctly, it will print rows of 1's and 8's until
    > > you stop it by pressing OFF again. Furthermore, you can advance the paper by
    > > pressing ON, if the printer is already ON."

  5. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    On Jan 26, 1:01 am, Miles Attacca wrote:
    > Incidentally, were there ever any adapters made to interface Sinclair
    > peripherals with a PC? It'd be neat to set up a small quiet printer
    > like this as a logging device or something.

    There was a way to connect it to a PC (I remember reading about it at
    timexsinclair.org), but it had to be done under ms-dos. I'm not sure
    if it's still possible. I remember it was the work of someone from
    central america.

  6. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    zxbruno wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 1:01 am, Miles Attacca wrote:
    >
    >>Incidentally, were there ever any adapters made to interface Sinclair
    >>peripherals with a PC? It'd be neat to set up a small quiet printer
    >>like this as a logging device or something.
    >>

    > There was a way to connect it to a PC (I remember reading about it at
    > timexsinclair.org), but it had to be done under ms-dos. I'm not sure
    > if it's still possible. I remember it was the work of someone from
    > central america.

    It cross references to an Alphacom 32, and that emulated a ZX printer,
    so if my memory is correct, its mapped as a single Z80 I/O port.

    Quoting from the ZX printer manual:-
    > THE INTERFACE
    >
    > The printer is wired as a Z80 I/O port, selected by A2 being at a low level - no other address lines are recognised. So to send information to the printer, use the Z80 command
    >
    > OUT (FB),A - opcode D3 FB
    >
    > assuming the data is in register A. The data bits have the following meanings:
    >
    > (D2) High level means stop the motor, low means start it.
    > (D1) High level means put the motor on slow speed - this line is overridden by D2 being high.
    > (D7) High level applies power to the stylus.
    >
    > All these lines remain in the state they were at last, until new data is sent to the printer. At switch on, or after pressing the feed button, D1 and D7 are set low; D2 is left high once feed is finished. The other data lines aren't used.
    >
    > To fetch information from the printer, the Z80 instruction: IN A, (FB) - opcode DB FB; will put the data into the accumulator. These bits are used:
    >
    > (D6) Will be erased as low if the printer is there, high if it isn't, and is used solely to check the
    > printer is connected.
    > (D0) This line is the signal from the encoder disc.
    > (D7) This line is high when the stylus hits the paper
    >
    > D0 and D7 are both latched so that they remain high until the computer writes something to the printer. So even if you don't make use of the information you've read in, you should output instruction (with appropriate data) to reset the latches until the next signal. These bits may be in either state on switch on, and aren't affected by the feed button. The paper detect signal is also used internally by the printer to make sure that the styli stops off the paper. Note that if power is applied to the stylus, the paper signal will go high even if the pritner is between scans, and so the stylus must be turned off before attempting to detect the edge of the paper.

    It looks it would be simple enough to bit-bang it from a PC parallel
    port under DOS (ground A2 and IORQ on the connector, Wire /RD and /WR to
    a couple of status output lines and the rest to bidirectional data
    lines), but its a polled device and disabling interrupts for a whole
    line of printout under windows is going to suck whale turds ;-(

    I seem to remember the encoder disk delivers something like 256 pulses
    accross the paper with a tiny bit left for the far margin so it goes
    something like (bad psuedocode):

    :START
    IF NOT PRESENT THEN ABORT
    VAR BYTE COUNT:=0, SCAN:=0
    SET STYLUS OFF
    SET MOTOR ON,SLOW
    :LINELOOP
    WAITFOR ONPAPER ; stylus reaches paper edge
    :SCANLOOP
    WAITFOR ENCODER
    IF PIXEL(SCAN,COUNT) THEN SET STYLUS ON ELSE SET STYLUS OFF
    INC SCAN ; which wraps back to zero after 256 pixels
    IF SCAN<>0 THEN GOTO SCANLOOP
    SET STYLUS OFF
    WAITFOR NOT ONPAPER ; stylus now off the far edge
    INC COUNT
    IF COUNT=1 THEN SET MOTOR ON,FAST ; speed up after firstline
    IF COUNT=7 THEN SET MOTOR ON,SLOW ; and slow down for last line
    IF COUNT<8 THEN SET MOTOR OFF ; before doing anything else!
    ; short time available here for other code. On the original
    ; ZX printer with its two styluses there wasn't much time.
    IF COUNT<8 THEN GOTO LINELOOP
    END

    PIXEL(X,Y) returns a dot from a 256x8 bit bitmap. Either generate it on
    the fly from an 8x8 font table and the current character position and
    code or keep a buffer sinclair style or otherwise. If you *do* keep a
    buffer, keeping it 1 byte per column and shifting each byte by one bit
    as you access it to get each bit out will let you emulate Epson 8 pin
    graphics mode with very little effort. N.B. the time to execute
    *MUST_NOT* vary with X or Y and *MUST* be less than the interval between
    encoder pulses at high speed. Unless its a lot less, there will be a
    visible fractional pixel offset when changing motor speed.

    If you programmed a microcontroller with enough code space to contain
    the character set, it wouldn't be hard to emulate a 40 column Epson
    compatible using a 6x8 character matrix. Probably best to put a serial
    inteface on a logger.

    If I had a good working Alphacom 32 or clone I'd have done it by now but
    I only have a poor EPSON P40 with one bit O/C on its printhead and a
    couple of ZX printers, one with a bad feed roller. I have *some* paper
    rolls left but not enough to make it worth turning into a logger.

    If *anyone* has a spare P40 head or an ALPHACOM 32 going begging in the
    M25 area that I could swap for some beer tokens and a packet of Rollos
    or other valuata, I'd be *quite* happy ;-) If your further away, I
    could offer reasonable P&P.

    [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

  7. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    Ian Malcolm wrote:
    > IF COUNT<8 THEN SET MOTOR OFF ; before doing anything else!

    AAGH, CLASSIC TYPE IN LISTING STYLE BUG PRESENT!
    should be 'IF COUNT=8 THEN' *not* less than.

    SORRY!

    [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

  8. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    On Jan 28, 5:29 am, Ian Malcolm
    wrote:
> [...]

    > the character set, it wouldn't be hard to emulate a 40 column Epson
    > compatible using a 6x8 character matrix. Probably best to put a serial
    > inteface on a logger.
    >
    > If I had a good working Alphacom 32 or clone I'd have done it by now but
    > I only have a poor EPSON P40 with one bit O/C on its printhead and a
    > couple of ZX printers, one with a bad feed roller. I have *some* paper
    > rolls left but not enough to make it worth turning into a logger.
    >
    > If *anyone* has a spare P40 head or an ALPHACOM 32 going begging in the
    > M25 area that I could swap for some beer tokens and a packet of Rollos
    > or other valuata, I'd be *quite* happy ;-) If your further away, I
    > could offer reasonable P&P.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
    > ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk

    Awesome. If I wasn't so far away you could use my Alphacom 32!

    Here, I found the link to Rafael Manrique's work:

    http://www.timexsinclair.org/unsorted/alp32_pc.zip

    I haven't checked the contents, but I think that some stuff might be
    in Spanish. Let me know if you need something translated.

  9. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    zxbruno wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 5:29 am, Ian Malcolm wrote:
    >>zxbruno wrote:

    >>>There was a way to connect it to a PC (I remember reading about it at
    >>>timexsinclair.org), but it had to be done under ms-dos. I'm not sure
    >>>if it's still possible. I remember it was the work of someone from
    >>>central america.

    >>It cross references to an Alphacom 32, and that emulated a ZX printer,
    >>so if my memory is correct, its mapped as a single Z80 I/O port.

    >>If you programmed a microcontroller with enough code space to contain
    >>the character set, it wouldn't be hard to emulate a 40 column Epson
    >>compatible using a 6x8 character matrix. Probably best to put a serial
    >>inteface on a logger.
    >>
    >>If I had a good working Alphacom 32 or clone I'd have done it by now but
    >>I only have a poor EPSON P40 with one bit O/C on its printhead and a
    >>couple of ZX printers, one with a bad feed roller. I have *some* paper
    >>rolls left but not enough to make it worth turning into a logger.
    >>
    >>If *anyone* has a spare P40 head or an ALPHACOM 32 going begging in the
    >>M25 area that I could swap for some beer tokens and a packet of Rollos
    >>or other valuata, I'd be *quite* happy ;-) If your further away, I
    >>could offer reasonable P&P.
    >>

    >>Ian Malcolm.

    > Awesome. If I wasn't so far away you could use my Alphacom 32!
    >
    > Here, I found the link to Rafael Manrique's work:
    >
    > http://www.timexsinclair.org/unsorted/alp32_pc.zip
    >
    > I haven't checked the contents, but I think that some stuff might be
    > in Spanish. Let me know if you need something translated.

    Looks like its all there. Google Translate handles the readme files well
    enough for a techy to read them.

    As I suspected, he says it doesn't behave properly under windows :-).
    The code is in Borland Turbo C 2.0 and would need rewiting for any
    compiler/system that hasn't got Borland's BGI graphics library. The
    edge connector looks like it could be 'fudged' with veroboard + foil
    tape for the couple of contacts needed on the other side (to remove the
    need to modify a classic relic)

    I wish I was near his 'Market of the Pulgas', a number of Alphacom 32's
    at $2 US each sounds almost too good to be true!

    Anyone want to add *REAL* ZX/Alphacom 32 printer support to their
    emulator? All the hard work has been done for you, all you need to do is
    integrate it!

    [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

  10. Re: TS 2040 printer value?

    On Jan 29, 2:22 am, Ian Malcolm
    wrote:
    > zxbruno wrote:

    > >>It cross references to an Alphacom 32, and that emulated a ZX printer,
    > >>so if my memory is correct, its mapped as a single Z80 I/O port.

    > >>If you programmed a microcontroller with enough code space to contain
    > >>the character set, it wouldn't be hard to emulate a 40 column Epson
    > >>compatible using a 6x8 character matrix. Probably best to put a serial
    > >>inteface on a logger.

    > >>If I had a good working Alphacom 32 or clone I'd have done it by now but
    > >>I only have a poor EPSON P40 with one bit O/C on its printhead and a
    > >>couple of ZX printers, one with a bad feed roller. I have *some* paper
    > >>rolls left but not enough to make it worth turning into a logger.

    > >>If *anyone* has a spare P40 head or an ALPHACOM 32 going begging in the
    > >>M25 area that I could swap for some beer tokens and a packet of Rollos
    > >>or other valuata, I'd be *quite* happy ;-) If your further away, I
    > >>could offer reasonable P&P.

    > >>Ian Malcolm.

    > > Awesome. If I wasn't so far away you could use my Alphacom 32!

    > > Here, I found the link to Rafael Manrique's work:

    > >http://www.timexsinclair.org/unsorted/alp32_pc.zip

    > > I haven't checked the contents, but I think that some stuff might be
    > > in Spanish. Let me know if you need something translated.

    > Looks like its all there. Google Translate handles the readme files well
    > enough for a techy to read them.
    >
    > As I suspected, he says it doesn't behave properly under windows :-).
    > The code is in Borland Turbo C 2.0 and would need rewiting for any
    > compiler/system that hasn't got Borland's BGI graphics library. The
    > edge connector looks like it could be 'fudged' with veroboard + foil
    > tape for the couple of contacts needed on the other side (to remove the
    > need to modify a classic relic)
    >
    > I wish I was near his 'Market of the Pulgas', a number of Alphacom 32's
    > at $2 US each sounds almost too good to be true!
    >
    > Anyone want to add *REAL* ZX/Alphacom 32 printer support to their
    > emulator? All the hard work has been done for you, all you need to do is
    > integrate it!
    >
    > --
    > Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
    > ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
    > [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

    Looks like it's a little bit out of my expertise then. Best of luck to
    all of you though, and in the meantime I'll hold on to my printer and
    see what develops.

+ Reply to Thread