Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy! - Sinclair ; (x-post to WOS as part of general self-publicising) Part of the reason I've been more active (or at least less lurky) on WOS and here of late is that I've been doing my best to dredge out my memory and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

  1. Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    (x-post to WOS as part of general self-publicising)

    Part of the reason I've been more active (or at least less lurky) on
    WOS and here of late is that I've been doing my best to dredge out my
    memory and identify all the games I played as a kid, so I could
    revisit them and see whether I've been remembering them through rose-
    tinted glasses or not...

    I decided to document this process along the way, and so have dumped
    128[*] game reviews [**] up onto my website: would people care to
    take a look - and comment on it?

    http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/spectrum/spectrum.html
    [*] Along with demo-scene video captures and a few other bits and
    bobs. More may appear at a later date...
    [**] This actually comes to 177 games: I included Cassette 50 in the
    list. Having played through the entire tape, the conclusion I came to
    may be a bit surprising...

  2. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    juice@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    > (x-post to WOS as part of general self-publicising)
    > [**] This actually comes to 177 games: I included Cassette 50 in the
    > list. Having played through the entire tape, the conclusion I came to
    > may be a bit surprising...


    Memories! I got my copy of Cassette 50 for a couple of quid about a
    decade after it was released. Complete and utter ****e to play, but I
    found it strangely compelling in the same way the thirty-(if you were
    lucky)-line programs in those Usborne books were. They were fun to
    tinker around with and attempt to 'upgrade'. Though strangely, a
    preteen's attempt at upgrading a already-crap BASIC game didn't yield
    great results.

    Hey ho, I'm a better programmer now. No, honest.

  3. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    On 2008-01-09, juice@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:

    > revisit them and see whether I've been remembering them through rose-
    > tinted glasses or not...


    Dunno about rose-tinted glasses but there's white text on a grey
    background on that page, makes reading links hard to do!

    I'll just see if I can get my binoculars out and find the links ;-)

    --
    Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

  4. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    On Jan 9, 6:11 pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-01-09, ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > revisit them and see whether I've been remembering them through rose-
    > > tinted glasses or not...

    >
    > Dunno about rose-tinted glasses but there's white text on a grey
    > background on that page, makes reading links hard to do!
    >
    > I'll just see if I can get my binoculars out and find the links ;-)
    >


    Hmm - the contrast is fine on my machine - apologies! I picked the
    grey as it's close to the Spectrum's dull-white: I'll see if I can
    turn it down a bit. Trouble is, there's several hundred pages to work
    through![*]

    As a short term measure (assuming you're on Windows), you can do crtl-
    A to highlight the entire page, which may help matters! Or just wave
    your mouse over the link: assuming you've got the status bar enabled,
    it should display the page name at the bottom (in both Firefox and
    IE).

    Alternatively, you could just try and guess the game based on the one-
    line description: fun for the entire family!
    [*] I know, I should use style sheets. Old habits and all that...

  5. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    On Jan 9, 5:58 pm, Prophet wrote:
    > ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > (x-post to WOS as part of general self-publicising)
    > > [**] This actually comes to 177 games: I included Cassette 50 in the
    > > list. Having played through the entire tape, the conclusion I came to
    > > may be a bit surprising...

    >
    > Memories! I got my copy of Cassette 50 for a couple of quid about a
    > decade after it was released. Complete and utter ****e to play, but I
    > found it strangely compelling in the same way the thirty-(if you were
    > lucky)-line programs in those Usborne books were. They were fun to
    > tinker around with and attempt to 'upgrade'. Though strangely, a
    > preteen's attempt at upgrading a already-crap BASIC game didn't yield
    > great results.
    >
    > Hey ho, I'm a better programmer now. No, honest.

    Heh
    As my conclusion stated: C50 must have been great when it was
    released: it wasn't state of the art even in 1983, but it was a good
    primer on how to write games that weren't that far off professional
    releases at the time - indeed, the fact that you had to RUN the
    listings meant that you were effectively being given a set of pre-
    defined type-ins to experiment with.

    I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the variety on the tape
    too - given it's modern reputation as founder of the CSSCGC and my
    vague memories, I'd expected to find far more badly implemented clones
    of arcade classics!

  6. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    Prophet wrote:

    > Hey ho, I'm a better programmer now. No, honest.


    I'm a worse programmer now. Yes, honest.

    The only thing I've written of any substance in the last decade, aside
    from the odd shell script, is my old random sig generator. It was crap,
    I don't use it any more, and I'm not even sure it counts.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  7. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    On 2008-01-09, juice@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:

    > As a short term measure (assuming you're on Windows), you can do crtl-
    > A to highlight the entire page, which may help matters!


    Yes, on my system that changes it from white text on a gray background
    to white text on a cyan background ;-)

    > Alternatively, you could just try and guess the game based on the one-
    > line description: fun for the entire family!


    I'll turn it into a new party game! The invites are going out to the
    neighbours as we speak.

    --
    Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

  8. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    On Jan 9, 8:32 pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-01-09, ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > As a short term measure (assuming you're on Windows), you can do crtl-
    > > A to highlight the entire page, which may help matters!

    >
    > Yes, on my system that changes it from white text on a gray background
    > to white text on a cyan background ;-)

    Hmm: on mine it switches to white on blue, on both IE and Firefox!

    Still, I figured out a quick way to fix things, since I'm using a
    background image: just darken the gray in the image! Huzzah!

    (mind you, I've also realised that both the background and the links
    are set to white, which may cause other problems. I'll still have to
    tinker with stylesheets and some sort of script to do a search and
    replace on a few hundred pages...)

  9. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    news:4785436c$0$1340$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...
    >
    > The only thing I've written of any substance in the last decade, aside
    > from the odd shell script, is my old random sig generator. It was crap,


    I disagree. That random sig generator was the single most insightful piece
    of software ever developed. It was like that machine from Demon Seed. Well,
    except for the part where it tried to have sex with Julie Christie. At least
    I'm assuming your sig generator didn't do that. And if it did, I think I
    respect your programming prowess even more. I'm going to stop now.

    Len
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk


  10. Re: Warning: Spectrum reviews ahoy!

    Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    > I disagree. That random sig generator was the single most insightful
    > piece of software ever developed. It was like that machine from
    > Demon Seed. Well, except for the part where it tried to have sex with
    > Julie Christie. At least I'm assuming your sig generator didn't do
    > that. And if it did, I think I respect your programming prowess even
    > more. I'm going to stop now.


    Well, that tears it... now somebody's going to have to write Son of
    Random Sig Generator.

+ Reply to Thread