CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair

This is a discussion on CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair ; For coming last in the 2007 crap game compo, I have the honour and privilege of hosting CSSCGC 2008! I have now put up the CSSCGC 2008 website at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/ Submissions are being accepted from today onwards. The deadline is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

  1. CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    For coming last in the 2007 crap game compo, I have the honour and
    privilege of hosting CSSCGC 2008!

    I have now put up the CSSCGC 2008 website at

    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    Submissions are being accepted from today onwards. The deadline is
    currently fixed at 31st December 2008, so there's certainly plenty of
    time.

    Maybe some people were too late for CSSCGC 2007. Well now you can
    complete your games and submit them to CSSCGC 2008 instead. May you
    have plenty of fun writing your crap games. Multiple submissions are
    encouraged.

    I look forward to playtesting and reviewing your games with great
    anticipation,

    Cheers,
    DP

  2. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Whoooo-ooooey!

    "Digital Prawn" wrote in message
    > For coming last in the 2007 crap game compo, I have the honour and
    > privilege of hosting CSSCGC 2008!
    >
    > I have now put up the CSSCGC 2008 website at
    >
    > http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/
    >
    > Submissions are being accepted from today onwards. The deadline is
    > currently fixed at 31st December 2008, so there's certainly plenty of
    > time.
    >
    > Maybe some people were too late for CSSCGC 2007. Well now you can
    > complete your games and submit them to CSSCGC 2008 instead. May you
    > have plenty of fun writing your crap games. Multiple submissions are
    > encouraged.
    >
    > I look forward to playtesting and reviewing your games with great
    > anticipation,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > DP

  3. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Paul E Collins has got the compo off to a very quick start, by
    submitting "kabaddi" today.

    I've uploaded it to the CSSCGC 2008 site.

  4. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 Update.

    Well it's been a mere twelve days since CSSCGC 2008 was launched and
    there's already been quite a bit of feedback and activity.

    Amendments to the rules:-

    1. The games will be available for download as soon as they have been
    uploaded to the website.

    2. There is a small prize now available to the compo winner.

    Games submitted so far:-

    Kabaddi by Paul E Collins
    Advanced Betting Simulator 2008 by Gavin Callard
    Advanced Lawnmower Simulator 3D by Paul E Collins

    Further details on the CSSCGC 2008 website:-
    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    Regards, DP

  5. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 20 Jan, 15:19, Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Further details on the CSSCGC 2008 website:-
    > http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    Purely out of idle curiosity, did you name the side "reptonix"
    after the set of games, the school, the hymn tune, or what?

  6. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Jan 21, 11:35*am, "A. J. Moss"
    wrote:
    > On 20 Jan, 15:19, Digital Prawn wrote:
    >
    > > Further details on the CSSCGC 2008 website:-
    > >http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    > Purely out of idle curiosity, did you name the side "reptonix"
    > after the set of games, the school, the hymn tune, or what?

    It's named after the BBC/Electron series of games, with the 'ix' just
    stuck on the end to guarantee that the name was obscure enough to be
    available.

    The CSSCGC 2008 site itself is in a sub-folder, created inside the
    existing reptonix main site I created last year to host my entries
    into the 2007 one-liner contest.

    Turned out very handy that I already had this set up when I found out
    about hosting CSSCGC 2008.

  7. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    I demand that Digital Prawn may or may not have written...

    > On Jan 21, 11:35*am, "A. J. Moss"
    > wrote:
    >> On 20 Jan, 15:19, Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>> Further details on the CSSCGC 2008 website:-
    >>> http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    >> Purely out of idle curiosity, did you name the side "reptonix"
    >> after the set of games, the school, the hymn tune, or what?

    > It's named after the BBC/Electron series of games, with the 'ix' just
    > stuck on the end to guarantee that the name was obscure enough to be
    > available.

    Be glad that they weren't named "Iyon". ;-)

    [snip]
    | Kill all extremists!

    If it happens, it must be possible.

  8. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    "Darren Salt" wrote:

    > > > Purely out of idle curiosity, did you name the side "reptonix"
    > > > after the set of games, the school, the hymn tune, or what?

    > > It's named after the BBC/Electron series of games, with the 'ix'
    > > just stuck on the end to guarantee that the name was obscure enough
    > > to be available.

    > Be glad that they weren't named "Iyon". ;-)

    ....a game presumably more suited to the Acorn Atom.

    Eq.

  9. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update.

    Hello again,

    We're now exactly one month into this year's compo, and its been going
    really well so far. There was a literal flood of crap games in a short
    amount of time from several different countries, resulting in a total
    of twenty entries now in the compo. Things have now settled down again
    after the initial hype, but lets not be too complacent as there are
    now less than 11 months remaining until the end of this year's compo!
    Furthermore, you may find that I'll be posting some additional gently
    nagging reminders throughout the year.

    So thanks very much to each and every one of you who submitted crap
    games so far truly making it more interesting and entertaining than I
    had originally imagined, even at this early stage. I'm sure many of us
    look forward to seeing more "fascinating" submissions.

    Again, many questions about the compo were raised on various forums
    and private channels, leading to further refinements and additions to
    the rules. These amendments are now hopefully starting to become a
    little less frequent as yet more issues have been dealt with.

    New rules were added to clarify things a bit. As always, the full
    rules are listed on the CSSCGC 2008 website, but I'll just mention
    last month's amendments here in brief form:-

    (1) It is assumed that authors grant free distribution permission to
    any games submitted to the compo.

    (2) It is assumed that authors actually wrote or at least co-wrote
    submitted games, as opposed to sending in games written by others.

    (3) Any excessively offensive games (in a deliberately nasty way that
    is), may be rejected from entering the compo. To clarify a little:-
    there are already games successfully admitted to the compo which some
    people could concievably find offensive, but those games clearly aim
    to be amusing rather than offensive. This is perfectly fine, within
    reason.

    (4) The loser will be banished from comp.sys.sinclair, and forced to
    live out the rest of their days on USENET group kiel.computer.zx81
    instead (Only kidding, but they will have to host CSSCGC 2009!).

    So please, keep 'em coming in, as it has been a great laugh so far,

    Cheers,
    Digital Prawn

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  10. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 9 Feb, 10:06, Digital Prawn wrote:
    > CSSCGC 2008 update.
    >
    > Hello again,

    Also, I forgot to mention in the above post that anyone interested in
    this year's compo is very welcome to pop along to the CSSCGC 2008
    forum (linked from the CSSCGC 2008 website main page), register and
    post comments on any of the submitted games. Alternatively, you can
    just read existing comments without registering if you like. It's so
    far a quiet place with eight registered members at the time of
    writing.

    Also, an appeal for ZX80 or ZX81 games. Of course speccy games
    continue to be very welcome, but particularly welcomed would be any
    ZX80 or ZX81 games, as we don't yet have any of these in this year's
    compo. Entries for the numerous clone systems are permitted this year
    too.

    Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  11. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 Update.

    Greetings!

    We so far have 31 unique titles entered into this year's competition.

    CSSCGC 2008 has now been opened up to Sinclair QL games, although we
    don't have any of those yet.

    The compo was also opened up to a new category of machines, tenuously
    permitted in the guise of "Sinclair Derivates". For now, this includes
    the Cambridge Z88, the Sam Coupé and the Jupiter ACE.

    Gavin Callard is the first entrant ever to submit a game for the
    Cambridge Z88 and for the Jupiter ACE. He has pledged to submit a
    version of his crap game "More Tea Vicar" for every permitted platform
    this year. So far he has released five seperate versions of this game.

    I have now added an on-line arcade, and some "side-arcades" to the
    CSSCGC 2008 website. Here you now can play most of the crap games
    online using a selection of Java emulators, as follows:-

    "The Main Street Arcade" features ZX Spectrum 48K games
    "The Golden Goose" features ZX Spectrum 128K/+2/+3 games
    "The Back Porch" features ZX80/1 Games, and finally
    "Jupiter Station" features games for the Jupiter ACE.

    There is now a monthly "CSSCGC 2008 Tape Magazine", which can be
    downloaded and played on the ZX Spectrum platform. Feb and March
    editions now available.

    Appeals for this month:-

    Of course, crap games for all platforms continue to be very much
    welcomed, In particular though, we still have only one game in each of
    these categories:- ZX80, ZX81, Jupiter ACE, Cambridge Z88, so any more
    of them would be very interesting. Likewise we don't yet have any
    entries for the Sinclair QL or Sam Coupé, so we await the first ones
    with some anticipation.

    Any (very) short articles or crap game reviews would be welcomed for
    inclusion in next month's tape magazine, in fact anything at all to do
    with CSSCGC or crap games is welcomed. If you have any such material
    then please send it to the submission email address and I will import
    into the mag and credit you in the mag itself. Please keep any
    magazine submissions below 2K of text if possible, and use only plain
    text, because of the limits of the tape magazine.

    So far, a few notable speccy using countries have been represented in
    the competition, including the UK (Scotland, England and Wales),
    Spain, Russia & Italy. However, Germany, the Netherlands, the Czech
    republic, Slovakia and the whole of the Americas (North and South)
    still remain completely unrepresented in CSSCGC 2008. So, if anyone
    from these ZX81/Speccy/clone using countries (or any other country I
    didn't mention) would like to step forward and represent their country
    in the name of crap game development, then the honour is there for the
    taking!

    Thanks to:-

    Simon Holdsworth, for taking the time to update his JtyOne ZX81
    emulator specifically so I could also use it with ZX80 games on the
    CSSCGC 2008 site.

    Troels Noergaard for permitting the use of his "ZZ Spectrum" 48K/128K/
    +3 emulator and his "ZZ Ace" Jupiter ACE emulator on the CSSCGC 2008
    site.

    Jan Bobrowski for releasing his GPL'd QAOP Spectrum 48K Emulator.

    SnakeOilSteve for suggesting the arcade idea, for submitting various
    crap game reviews, and for offering further help.

    Steve Parry-Thomas for hosting the excellent Jupiter ACE website, and
    for his helpful posts.

    Everyone else on the numerous Internet forums and channels who helped
    me out in various ways over the last month. (Apologies if I forgot to
    mention you).

    Of course everyone who has submitted crap games to the compo.

    Have fun with your continuing crap game development!

    Regards,
    DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  12. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > Have fun with your continuing crap game development!
    >
    > Regards,
    > DP
    >

    > CSSCGC 2008 is at
    > http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    Hi Digital Prawn!

    Thanks very much!

    (I am curious about Steve's 'further' ;-), though)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  13. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > (I am curious about Steve's 'further' ;-), though)

    Hi Daniel,

    SnakeOilSteve has kindly offered to compile the final version of the
    monthly tape magazine by appending submitted games to the tapefile
    (Well, the ZX Spectrum games anyway).

    I initially told him I wouldn't announce this as he tells me he is
    very busy in "Real Life" (tm) and may possibly not have time to do it.
    So he didn't really want to commit to doing this just yet. This is why
    I was deliberately vague on this point, but I guess I have
    inadvertantly let the cat out of the bag now, oops!

    Anyway, I'm sure he won't mind as long as I let everyone know that
    this may or may not happen due to time constraints!

    It has continued to be a busy month for CSSCGC activity even though
    the rate of game submissions has dropped significantly. However,
    judging by the number of file downloads, interest appears to remain
    high which is great.

    So, I may as well take this opportunity to also thank the other people
    I forgot to yesterday who have all played their part in CSSCGC 2008 so
    far! :-

    The Simulacra for providing the AY chip music for the March and April
    editions of the tape magazine, using Vortex Tracker II.

    I also forgot to thank both Santiago Romero and Paul E Collins in
    hosting services for CSSCGC 2008. I didn't take these offers up as the
    current website is pretty much entrenched in it's current location.
    Due to various ancilliary services it uses it would certainly take a
    bit of effort (well a whole weekend anyway) to move the entire site
    now. Also, the current URL of the main page, and URLs of the various
    sub-sections have now been posted all over the Internet. However,
    Santiago also offered to potentially use his web hosting under the
    speccy.org domain as a backup in case the current CSSCGC 2008 site
    (which is on free hosting) goes permanently offline for any reasons
    outside of my control. So it is reassuring to have that in reserve,
    should it be needed.

    I'm relatively new to Z80 machine code programming, so I have used
    code written or referenced by the following people in next month's
    tape magazine. They didn't post these things to help me per se, but
    nevertheless their postings were found to be extremely helpful.
    Therefore it's only proper that I mention these people as I certainly
    can't take credit for parts of their code I have re-used in the (as
    yet to be released) CSSCGC 2008 tape magazine April edition:-

    gasman (Matthew Westcott), for posting a sample IM 2 mode interrupt
    handler on WoS back in 2004 (from one of his demos), which I somehow
    dug up.

    Alcoholics Anonymous, for providing a link to a fast 16-bit random
    number generator m/c routine last week, and also for providing advice
    on getting the IM 2 routine to work seamlessly with the ROM's own
    interrupt routine.

    Dr BEEP for letting me know this could be done in the first place, and
    providing some advice on it.

    John Hardman & Andrew Hewson for their book "40 Best Machine Code
    Routines for the ZX Spectrum" (downloadable from the WoS book archive)
    which contains a textbook example of how to step through the BASIC
    variables area in machine code. I needed this to extract a string for
    the "pagination" routine. Excellent book by the way.

    OK, I believe I have now covered everything for this month!

    Best Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  14. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    I can't help but think that you're not taking your role of crap host
    very seriously (ie. by being rather non-crap at hosting the compo!)

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  15. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 10 Mar, 18:14, "Chris Young" wrote:
    > I can't help but think that you're not taking your role of crap host
    > very seriously (ie. by being rather non-crap at hosting the compo!)
    >
    > Chris

    Hehe, very true Chris. I admit I'm just having too much fun doing
    things like this!

    Besides, I promise to repay my crapness debt by submitting a crap game
    to CSSCGC 2009 or something!

    Also whilst I'm on, I forgot to mention - Thanks also to A.J. Moss for
    propping up interest in this year's compo, for he is also offering a
    prize this year. I will just quote his post from WoS last week, made
    after the great "Market Rasen" quake:-

    "I'm offering a special prize (a ****ty home DVD-R of Stressed Eric
    series 2) for the best crap game about how tonight's earthquake spread
    across the internet."

    Any takers I wonder?

    Regards, DP

  16. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > gasman (Matthew Westcott), for posting a sample IM 2 mode interrupt
    > handler on WoS back in 2004 (from one of his demos), which I somehow
    > dug up.

    Hi!

    I like 'gasman'.
    He seems to me, as he isn't a digital slave.

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: Could it be so? If gasman plays in CSSCGC, he would win, as ABBA
    would win, if they would have played at euro song contest ;-)!?

  17. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Chris Young wrote:

    > I can't help but think that you're not taking your role of crap host
    > very seriously (ie. by being rather non-crap at hosting the compo!)
    >
    > Chris

    Crikey! :-)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  18. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > Hi!
    >
    > I like 'gasman'.
    > He seems to me, as he isn't a digital slave.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Daniel Mandic
    >
    > P.S.: Could it be so? If gasman plays in CSSCGC, he would win, as ABBA
    > would win, if they would have played at euro song contest ;-)!?

    Hi Daniel,

    Yes, gasman does seem very popular, I have chatted with him very
    briefly on WoS.

    I was on the Russian forums at zx.pk.ru few weeks ago, and a Russian
    forum member sent me a private message, asking me if I knew gasman!

    I believe he is really well known in the "demoscene" amongst other
    things, which is something I currently know very little about. Indeed,
    it sounds like he's more of a "digital master" than "digital slave"
    from what I can gather, and of course his code snippet has been useful
    to me.

    Could gasman win CSSCGC? Well with his coding skills, I'm sure he
    could make a "good" crap game if he wished!

    One example of a "good" crap game already submitted this year is
    "Crysis" by Radastan, which is technically clever.

    Of course, theoretically even someone without great coding skills
    could win the compo. Good programming skills are not a pre-requesite
    of doing well in CSSCGC, but certainly people who program well can
    submit some very 'interesting' games!

    Regards, DP

  19. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Chris Young wrote:

    > I can't help but think that you're not taking your role of crap host
    > very seriously (ie. by being rather non-crap at hosting the compo!)

    My thoughts exactly. This is all getting terribly serious, isn't it?
    Tape magazines; interrupt handlers; things "working seamlessly", even.
    Crumbs. I've got an awful feeling it's even going to finish on time this
    year.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  20. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > Of course, theoretically even someone without great coding skills
    > could win the compo. Good programming skills are not a pre-requesite
    > of doing well in CSSCGC, but certainly people who program well can
    > submit some very 'interesting' games!
    >
    > Regards, DP

    Hi!

    It was just a joke .

    However, when will be the time for the public, to vote for this year
    CSSCGC entries?

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

+ Reply to Thread