CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair

This is a discussion on CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair ; CSSCGC 2008 update. Thanks yet again to those who submitted crap games over the last month. We now have 59 unique entries in this year's compo. As always, we look forward to seeing some more submissions during the remaining time. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 72 of 72

  1. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update.

    Thanks yet again to those who submitted crap games over the last
    month.

    We now have 59 unique entries in this year's compo.

    As always, we look forward to seeing some more submissions during the
    remaining time. There are just under five months left at this point,
    so still plenty of time for this year's compo.

    Chris Y suggested looking at this link for anyone who is still looking
    for crap game inspiration:-
    http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/897/897106p1.html

    "CSSCGC 2008 Tape Magazine" August edition is now available from the
    tapemag download page at:-
    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sin...gc2008/mag.htm

    Next tape mag will be October. Again if anyone would like to
    contribute (e.g. short crap game reviews etc..) to any of the three
    remaining tapemags that I'm planning on (that's Oct08, Dec08 & one
    final edition in early 09), then please send to the submission
    address.

    Best Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  2. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update

    There are now 62 unique titles in the compo - thanks to three titles
    being submitted by Shaun Bebbington over the last month.

    The main CGC website at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/
    did experience a few hours downtime back at the weekend. Apologies for
    this - it does happen from time to time.

    If it does happen again, then there is a backup "shadow" website
    available here:-
    http://reptonix.atspace.com/csscgc2008/ - which isn't quite as up to
    date as the main site - I've not felt the need to mention it until
    now, because the main site hasn't been too unreliable for most of the
    year.

    Just under four months remain, so we are now amazingly already two-
    thirds of the way through this year's compo.

    I can feel "the quickening" - "there can be only one" etc...

    I can also feel the great weight of CGC tradition bearing down on me -
    as if the founding members of the original compo were wearing
    Victorian style beards and looking down at me with consternation from
    a huge portrait hanging on the wall - implying "I must inexplicably
    adjust the compo deadline during the late stages of it".

    Well, I'm not one to go totally against the grain and my minor
    rebelliousness does have limits. So, I'm seriously thinking of
    extending the deadline to no later than 9th Jan 09 which would be
    exactly 366 days or precisely one year after the compo was announced
    on here. As a gimmick, I would make the deadline exactly to the
    minute of the original comp.sys.sinclair announcement! Besides this is
    really neat since all my announcements have been on the 9th of each
    month.

    This should not in any way impact the commencement of CSSCGC 2009 as I
    originally feared it might.

    I'll update the website to this effect sometime later in the year.

    As always, I look forward to any further possible entires in the
    remaining time.

    Best Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  3. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    WorldofSpectrum forum member Vertigo informed me today that he will no
    longer be able to host CSSCGC 2009, due to other commitments.

    However, we now have far more entries in the competition (around 70)
    than when I originally asked someone to take on CSSCGC 2009. Therefore
    there is now some chance that I will be able find a prospective
    organiser of CSSCGC 2009 from a "loser" of the 2008 competition after
    all.

    Even so, I still think that the CSSCGC competition would really
    benefit from an organiser next year who has a real interest in the
    competition, preferably posts on comp.sys.sinclair (or at least is
    happy to make the major compo announcements in the group), has
    submitted to the compo at some point (either this year or in the past)
    and also has the free time available to organise and host it.

    So if you would like to do this, then please let me know and I'll be
    happy to hand over the reigns to anyone with a genuine desire to do
    this next year. This is because I think it would make for a good compo
    if we get someone enthusiastic and who wants to do it.

    Otherwise, I'll just select one of the lowest scoring entrants from
    this year's compo as originally intended, but of course it won't be
    anyone who has already contacted me to tell me that they can't do it
    next year.

    Organising the competition involves everything from developing the
    website and hosting it to receiving and uploading the submitted
    entries, writing the descriptions, making the rules up and the judging
    and scoring etc.. Also sending out a small prize etc.. But, overall
    throughout the year (so far) I have found that it doesn't take up a
    huge amount of time.

    I know also some other posters have already offered ideas for CSSCGC
    2009 earlier this year, so maybe one of you who did this would like to
    host it.

    Best Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  4. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > I know also some other posters have already offered ideas for CSSCGC
    > 2009 earlier this year, so maybe one of you who did this would like to
    > host it.

    consider my offer still open, (course, if you have seen how slow my
    server is you'd probably be wise to put me in the last resort pile..)

  5. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Sep 19, 5:26*pm, Guesser wrote:
    > Digital Prawn wrote:
    >
    > > I know also some other posters have already offered ideas for CSSCGC
    > > 2009 earlier this year, so maybe one of you who did this would like to
    > > host it.

    > consider my offer still open, (course, if you have seen how slow my
    > server is you'd probably be wise to put me in the last resort pile..)

    Thanks very much guesser.

    Since you are already a poster to comp.sys.sinclair, have submitted at
    least one entry (that I know of) to the CGC, and you have a geniune
    interest in doing this - then you'd be a good host for it IMHO,
    provided you could get some reasonable free hosting for CSSCGC 2009.

    The only single worry would be the slow server.

    I don't even have a server myself, so I've had to rely on free hosting
    this year. This has clearly been far from ideal with a few problems,
    but perhaps if you could find a better one than I did - it would be
    quite good.

    Alternatively, others in the speccy community have offered to provide
    free hosting for the CGC this year (after I'd set my site up). For
    example the administrator of the websites in the speccy.org domain.

    Apologies I cannot remember his name offhand, but I know he reads
    comp.sys.sinclair, so perhaps this offer would still be open for
    CSSGCC 2009?

    In any case, thanks again guesser , and if this remaining issue (that
    you think your web server may be too slow) can be overcome then I'd be
    glad to see you do next year's compo.

    Cheers, DP

  6. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > In any case, thanks again guesser , and if this remaining issue (that
    > you think your web server may be too slow) can be overcome then I'd be
    > glad to see you do next year's compo.
    >
    > Cheers, DP

    it would be helpful to know what sort of traffic the compo generates.

    certainly there's no problem hosting the actual webpages, it's just a
    case of the game downloads. Probably not a problem, and the, shall we
    call them /reliability/ issues, with the net connection should be fixed
    now too

    Guesser.

  7. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > it would be helpful to know what sort of traffic the compo generates.

    It's not a lot. Let me give you the figures I have so far.

    Disk space used on Mediafire to hold all binary files (i.e. the compo
    entries): 10MB
    Total Mediafire traffic since beginning of compo (over eight months
    ago): 193MB

    Disk space used on Awardspace to hold the web files (HTML/Java applets
    etc): 8MB
    Total awardspace web traffic in the busiest month (which was May):
    10MB incoming, 88MB outgoing

    Total space used on photobucket for images: 5MB
    Monthly web traffic on photobucket: 32MB

    Total CSSCGC 2008 website hits so far: 17732

    -----------------
    As you can see, I currently have the site split across three services
    (mediafire, awardspace, photobucket).

    If you had everything on one server (games, HTML/Java and Images),
    then the roughly estimated totals would be:

    Disk space used: 23MB
    Monthly traffic approx: 154MB
    Average daily website hits: 60

    Of course final totals will be a bit higher since there still just
    under four months remaining in CSSCGC 2008.

    Hope that gives you some idea. As you can see, the requirements are
    very modest.

    Cheers, DP

  8. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:44:44 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Guesser:

    > I also have ISP provided webspace, but I imagine the monthly traffic for
    > the games might be a bit high and upset them.

    I'd be very surprised if that was the case, we're talking 128K
    uncompressed for each file at an absolute maximum, and the largest
    file I have in my CGC'07 store here is 36K (two of this size - the
    rest are half that size or less). Obviously when compressed it will
    be smaller than that, but you're already looking at something which is
    hardly any bigger than most web graphics.

    ISP web space generally has pretty good limits on traffic, I don't
    think you need to worry there.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  9. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:44:44 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Guesser:
    >
    >> I also have ISP provided webspace, but I imagine the monthly traffic for
    >> the games might be a bit high and upset them.

    > I'd be very surprised if that was the case, we're talking 128K
    > uncompressed for each file at an absolute maximum, and the largest
    > file I have in my CGC'07 store here is 36K (two of this size - the
    > rest are half that size or less). Obviously when compressed it will
    > be smaller than that, but you're already looking at something which is
    > hardly any bigger than most web graphics.
    >
    > ISP web space generally has pretty good limits on traffic, I don't
    > think you need to worry there.
    >
    > Chris

    this is tiscali though
    everything else about them is rubbish

    if I do next years compo I may put downloads on the isp space, or not,
    as has been said they're not big files, and my server copes well enough
    with people looking at photos.

    we'll cross that bridge if we get to it anyway, it's still only September

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  10. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Sep 19, 11:43 pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    > I'd be very surprised if that was the case, we're talking 128K
    > uncompressed for each file at an absolute maximum,

    In general this is completely correct, most files in CSSCGC 2008 so
    far are in the range 1KB-100KB. So for all practical purposes they are
    tiny by modern standards.

    However we did get a few interesting oddball entries this year which
    are bigger than this e.g. "Multiload Hangman" by Paul E Collins - the
    tapfile is 3934KB when uncompressed. Although when zipped, it
    compresses down to something like 800KB on the server.
    Perhaps this is the largest (uncompressed) ZX-Spectrum file ever
    submitted to any CGC? Although I have not searched all previous year's
    entries there may have been a bigger one at some point in the past?

    I also had a full Russian .SCL disk image on the server that was a few
    hundred KB IIRC, although this has now been replaced with a much
    smaller disk image containing only the minimal game files.

    There are also some zipfiles I have with multiple versions of
    submitted games inside them (multple revisions or multi-plaform
    support), I think the next biggest is around 200KB.

    In any case, even these are still relatively small files compared to
    what you would find lurking on the HDD of any "modern" OS user and I
    think overall that they are quite rare for the CGC with most "normal"
    files being no more than 128K uncompressed as Chris has stated.

    Expect your average file size to still be less than 20K-30K and
    perhaps even much less than that, since many CGC games are 1K, 2K or
    around that due to the casual nature of the compo.

    On Sep 20, 12:48*am, Guesser wrote:

    > this is tiscali though
    > everything else about them is rubbish
    >
    > if I do next years compo I may put downloads on the isp space, or not,
    > as has been said they're not big files, and my server copes well enough
    > with people looking at photos.
    >
    > we'll cross that bridge if we get to it anyway, it's still only September
    >
    > --

    Sounds good. From what you are saying it appears that your set-up
    should be more than adequate for CSSCGC 2009.

    For now then, we'll tentatively say that you can be the organiser &
    host of CSSCGC 2009. As I say, IMHO I think you'd be a good host for
    it because you have already participated as an entrant this year and
    because you are already accustomed to posting on comp.sys.sinclair.
    I'm not sure right at the minute how many others would also
    potentially volunteer who also have done both of the above.

    Indeed, it still is only September, but I think it is no harm to
    arrange things earlier than needed in order to have more than enough
    time to set-up anything that may be needed (although it's not a lot
    really). This way you can be ready to get CSSCGC 2009 off to a good
    start in early 2009 if you so wish. After the end of CSSCGC 2008, my
    involvement in the CGC will cease (apart perhaps from continuing to be
    a future entrant and spectator).

    If for any possible reason that may crop up between now and the end of
    the year you feel that you won't be able to host it next year, then
    please let me know, and again, I'll simply try to find someone else.

    Other than that, it'd be great if you can do it,

    Cheers, DP

  11. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update

    We now have 75 unique titles in the competition and we are precisely
    75% of the way through it.

    At this point there are excatly three months remaining until the
    extended CSSCGC 2008 deadline.

    So as always, thanks again to all those who submitted entries over the
    last month.

    For the first time, it's looking remotely possible that we could get
    100 CGC entries by the end, although having said that we've just had a
    ten day long crap gaming drought. We'll see how it pans out during
    these final months - but there is a sort of "quest for a hundred
    titles" vaguely lurking at the back of the minds of CGC folk (OK, well
    maybe it's just me).

    The "CGC appeal" at this point is for crap games for absolutely any of
    the permitted systems. Again, further entries will be gratefully
    received, no matter how slapdash and poor quality they may be (even if
    they are potentially compo-losing entries).

    "CSSCGC 2008 Tape Magazine" October Edition is available from the
    magazine download page at:
    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sin...gc2008/mag.htm

    Until next month, have fun writing your crap games (or perhaps even
    some sort of masochistic pain). If you've never submitted to the CGC
    before, then why not give it a go?

    If I can say one thing about this compo, it seemingly isn't critical
    to spend a vast amount of time to make something for submission! Not
    that there's anything wrong with lovingly crafting an epic CGC entry
    over a long period of time of course.

    Cheers, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  12. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update.

    We now have 83 unique titles in this year's crap game compo.

    With two months remaining I again stress the importance of quantity
    over quality - rather like the original cascade tape!

    As always, the more the merrier and I'm sure some of you out there
    still have a crap game or two up your sleeves.

    So my main appeal this month is directed at those good people on
    newsgroups/forums/email right across the Internet who mentioned/
    promised or implied they were working on some crap games for CSSCGC
    2008 earlier in year.

    I'd like to politely say - get 'em finished and submit them and you
    can give us all something to chuckle at (or not) during the final
    weeks of this year's compo.

    In other news, Guesser has revealed the URL of the CSSCGC 2009 site-to-
    be, which currently contains a countdown page to the big day when
    CSSCGC 2009 starts. This page will automatically change to the actual
    site on the first day according to guesser. I've stuck a link to it on
    the news page of CSSCGC 2008, for those who want to take an early
    peek.

    In early Jan, there'll be something like a nine day overlap with both
    CSSCGC 2008 and CSSCGC 2009 running at the same time and crap game
    authors will have a choice of competitions to submit to during this
    brief window.

    Until next time, have fun!