CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair

This is a discussion on CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair ; Digital Prawn wrote: > Derek Jolly wrote: >> That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished. > > Sounds promising. At least it's not Skinny Dipping with George Cole, > that would've been quite awful. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

  1. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:

    > Derek Jolly wrote:
    >> That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.

    > Sounds promising. At least it's not Skinny Dipping with George Cole,
    > that would've been quite awful.

    "Don't laugh, Terence. 'Er indoors was highly impressed with this when
    we were courting. Now, then. Hold my cigar, Terry... in for a penny...
    Ooh! My giddy aunt! That's colder than a polar bear's wotsits. Did you
    turn the heating on?"

    "Sorry, Arfur. Tried to tell yer. Heating's broke. Bloke said best he
    could do was next Tuesday."

    "I don't know. Sometimes I despair of you, Terry. Couldn't you have a
    look at it yourself?"

    "Leave it aaht, Arfur. I don't know nothin' about pool heaters. Bloke
    said he'd be round first thing next Tuesday."

    .... etc., etc.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  2. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 17 Mar 2008 21:32:20 GMT, Derek Jolly
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:02:47 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:
    >
    >> Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>> The quest
    >>> continues...

    >> P.S., "Unsatisfactory Software" (Chris Young, Phillip Lake et al.)
    >> submitted 2 crap games to CSSCGC 2008 today!

    >That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.

    Ooh, I have some pics of her

  3. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    "Lister" wrote in message
    > On 17 Mar 2008 21:32:20 GMT, Derek Jolly
    > wrote:
    >
    >>That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.

    > Ooh, I have some pics of her

    I have no idea who you're all talking about.

    Also, I live in a suburban development where I remember there being nothing
    but fields.

    Am I now officially old then?

    Len
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk

  4. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Llama-Wax Len did eloquently scribble:
    > "Lister" wrote in message
    >> On 17 Mar 2008 21:32:20 GMT, Derek Jolly
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.

    >> Ooh, I have some pics of her

    > I have no idea who you're all talking about.

    > Also, I live in a suburban development where I remember there being nothing
    > but fields.

    > Am I now officially old then?

    That makes you officially older than me...
    I've never lived anywhere I remember being all fields.

  5. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:25:50 +0000, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Derek Jolly did eloquently scribble:
    >>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:02:47 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:

    >>> That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole
    >>> finished. I've actually got some UDGs defined for the hero now, so
    >>> there's actually a chance there'll be a game for this CGC. It'll only
    >>> be a year late then.

    >>> I sound like Imagine.

    >> It's not going to require a hardware upgrade that'll turn the speccy
    >> into a superdooper machine (but will never see the light of day) is it?

    > The mind boggles at what sort of hardware upgrade might be required by a
    > game featuring The Lovely Kyla.

    Dunno, but it'd have to vibrate.
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  6. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:53 +0000, Llama-Wax Len wrote:

    > I have no idea who you're all talking about.
    >
    > Also, I live in a suburban development where I remember there being
    > nothing but fields.
    >
    > Am I now officially old then?

    Yes.

    Definitely not safe for work link: http://www.kylacole.com/
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  7. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 19 Mar 2008 19:29:39 GMT, Derek Jolly
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:53 +0000, Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    >
    >> I have no idea who you're all talking about.
    >>
    >> Also, I live in a suburban development where I remember there being
    >> nothing but fields.
    >>
    >> Am I now officially old then?

    >Yes.
    >
    >Definitely not safe for work link: http://www.kylacole.com/

    Bookmark GET!

  8. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    "Derek Jolly" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:53 +0000, Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    >
    >> Am I now officially old then?

    > Yes.
    >
    > Definitely not safe for work link: http://www.kylacole.com/

    Ah, I see. Yes, very pleasant indeed. The only thing that tempers my
    enjoyment of said website is the almost certain knowledge that Lister is
    jacking off over it as I type.

    Len
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk

  9. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:52:31 -0000, "Llama-Wax Len"
    wrote:

    >"Derek Jolly" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:53 +0000, Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am I now officially old then?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> Definitely not safe for work link: http://www.kylacole.com/

    >Ah, I see. Yes, very pleasant indeed. The only thing that tempers my
    >enjoyment of said website is the almost certain knowledge that Lister is
    >jacking off over it as I type.
    >
    >Len

    Muhh

  10. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Derek Jolly wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:25:50 +0000, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    >
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Derek Jolly did eloquently scribble:
    >>> It's not going to require a hardware upgrade that'll turn the speccy
    >>> into a superdooper machine (but will never see the light of day) is it?

    >> The mind boggles at what sort of hardware upgrade might be required by a
    >> game featuring The Lovely Kyla.

    > Dunno, but it'd have to vibrate.

    Certainly worthy of a Joystick Juggler's review.. Fnar (Stop it - Ed.)

  11. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 Update

    Hello Again.

    As of today we have 39 unique titles entered into CSSCGC 2008.

    The "April MegaTape" is now available for download from the site. This
    contains the tape magazine, including those erm.. "improvements" I was
    blabbering on about last month. This double sided tapefile also includes
    last months game submissions.

    There were no rule changes over the last month.

    Many Thanks to:-

    SnakeOilSteve for taking the time to assemble the MegaTape and making
    the cassette inlay and notes for it.

    Chris Young & Unsatisfactory Software for releasing their original ZX81
    version of "Barcode Hangman". This is a much needed addition to the
    ZX80/1 arcade section.

    Again "The Simulacra" for providing the AY chip music for the tape mag.

    Everyone else who submitted new entries and updates over the last month.

    As always, please keep them coming in.

    There are now only 266 coding days to go until the end of this year's
    compo!

    Also I'd like to ask, are there any further people capable of writing
    FORTH or m/c programs on the Jupiter ACE? If so, then please put
    something together for the CGC. It would be most welcome! We only have a
    single ACE entry so far. I know it's not a Sinclair system, but I think
    submissions for the ACE particularly add something interesting to the compo.

    Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  12. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 Update

    Hello All,

    We now have 42 unique titles entered into CSSCGC 2008.

    Overall it was a quiet month in this year's compo with three titles
    submitted since last update.

    So thanks for those submissions and thanks also to Steve(spt) for
    answering the call for further Jupiter Ace crap games, of which we now
    have two.

    Due to being busy in real life, I was unable to find the time to put a
    tape magazine together this month, but I hope to make some further ones
    later in the year. There should also be more to write about by then.

    As always please keep sending crap games in for all permitted platforms.

    This month's appeal is for ZX80 crap games. I suppose there won't be too
    many of them entered overall! So far we have one in the competition. So
    they are especially welcome.

    Thank you.
    DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  13. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > We now have 42 unique titles entered into CSSCGC 2008.

    I should correct this, we have 43 now.

  14. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 update.

    We now have 54 unique titles in the compo.

    As usual, thanks to those who submitted games over the last month and
    those who helped out with the tape mag.

    The CSSCGC 2008 June tape magazine is available at
    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sin...gc2008/mag.htm

    (The next tape mag will probably be August)

    Please keep sending your games in.

    It's been a good reponse so far, particularly for speccy games.

    We are understandably still lacking a little in the following
    departments though:-

    Sam Coupé (no games entered yet)
    Cambridge Z88 (only 1 game so far)
    ZX80 (only 1 game so far)

    Whats that I hear? You all have better things to do over the summer than
    code crap ZX80 games? Surely not!

    Anyway, bye for now, DP

  15. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 - Rule Change

    I have a few very good reasons to change the rule about picking the host
    for CSSCGC 2009, which I am about to do.

    I have come to realise two things over the last couple of months:-

    (1) Some prospective entrants do not like the potentially small risk of
    being saddled with hosting the compo next year, particularly if they
    have never set up a website before.

    This appears to be offputting to some people who would otherwise enter
    the compo.

    A handful of people have e-mailed me pretty much suggesting they are
    unable to set a website up for various reasons. One or two have also
    said the same on various forums.

    That's fine, I perfectly understand this. Perhaps this "risk" seems even
    more likely to potential ZX81/ZX80 entrants since I myself lost last
    year's compo duer to a ZX81 entry.

    (2) Other people have presented good, fresh ideas for hosting next
    year's competition, which I think the CGC would really benefit from, and
    breath new life into it in 2009.

    Clearly some people have a lot of enthusiasm to do this, so it seems
    correct that anyone who has an undying wish to host the CGC should be
    given the opportunity to do so.

    So, if I can arrange with someone this year to host next year's compo,
    then it will give them plenty of time to prepare (not that much is
    needed). Also this will remove the potential offputting "threat" of
    compo hosting for people who really would not want to do this.

    Therefore, this year's rule about hosting CSSCGC 2009 is changed as
    follows:-

    Whoever simply e-mails me (from this moment) to say they genuinely would
    like to host next year's compo, then it is yours. You are very welcome
    to host it. Please send any such e-mail to the CSSCGC 2008 compo
    submission address.

    You need not have even entered this year's compo, just simply have an
    enthusiasm for being a CGC host and the means to set up a simple website.

    If I don't receive any offers, then the old rule will still stand and
    the loser of CSSCGC 2008 will be required to host next year's CGC as
    before. If I do recieve any eamils about this, then I will announce next
    year's host on here.

    I'm hoping that someone does offer to be next year's host, because I
    believe it would encourage more people to enter this year's CSSCGC
    compo, and keep the CGC going strong in the future. Well that's my
    rationale for changing the rule anyway!

    I'll update the rule section on the CSSCGC 2008 website shortly (I
    haven't done this yet).

    Cheers, DP

  16. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > CSSCGC 2008 - Rule Change
    >
    > Whoever simply e-mails me (from this moment) to say they genuinely would
    > like to host next year's compo, then it is yours. You are very welcome
    > to host it. Please send any such e-mail to the CSSCGC 2008 compo
    > submission address.

    WorldofSpectrum forum member Vertigo has very kindly offered to host
    CSSCGC 2009.

    So thanks very much to him, that's that issue done and dusted.

    So, there's now no "danger" in losing the CSSCGC 2008 compo. I'm happy
    to say that there is no longer any possibility of being requested to
    host next year's compo, no matter how dire your entries may be!

    I'll update the CSSCGC 2008 website soon to reflect this change in
    rules. (Not tonight though)

    Regards, DP

  17. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Digital Prawn wrote:
    >> CSSCGC 2008 - Rule Change
    >>
    >> Whoever simply e-mails me (from this moment) to say they genuinely would
    >> like to host next year's compo, then it is yours. You are very welcome
    >> to host it. Please send any such e-mail to the CSSCGC 2008 compo
    >> submission address.
    >>

    > WorldofSpectrum forum member Vertigo has very kindly offered to host
    > CSSCGC 2009.
    >
    > So thanks very much to him, that's that issue done and dusted.

    Um, it's the CSS CGC...
    So I suggest you mention to him that it might be an idea for him to actually
    start POSTING to comp.sys.sinclair (which is what CSS stands for).

    > So, there's now no "danger" in losing the CSSCGC 2008 compo.

    As long as he doesn't try to rename it the WOSCGC.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  18. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > Um, it's the CSS CGC...
    > So I suggest you mention to him that it might be an idea for him to actually
    > start POSTING to comp.sys.sinclair (which is what CSS stands for).

    Indeed, I completely agree and I myself feel strongly that
    comp.sys.sinclair remains the primary channel for the major CGC news,
    updates and announcements.

    I am very grateful for Vertigo for offering to host the CGC next year as
    this has now solved a problem with many entrants being unable to host it.

    Further to this, I have sent him a message this morning to let him know
    that this group is the "home" of the CGC. (in case he doesn't already
    know this.) I can't see that he'll have any problem with posting to this
    group. It is quite possible that he already does but under a different
    name. I am unsure on this point and so I have asked him about this.

    I tend to post not only on CSS and WoS, but also many of the
    international (non-English) newsgroups, mailing lists, fidonet
    conferences and web forums too. My own personal preference is to post to
    multiple groups in order to broaden the audience and involvement of the
    CGC as far as possible. This may sometimes mean posting CGC related info
    and discussions on groups other than CGC, as I often do too.

    I think this has worked well this year, particularly as we have had a
    large number of interesting Spanish entries from the members of
    es.comp.sistemas.sinclair and www.speccy.org (to cite just two
    examples). But, wherever else I may post, I agree that it is crucial to
    post about the CSSCGC here too!

    >> So, there's now no "danger" in losing the CSSCGC 2008 compo.

    > As long as he doesn't try to rename it the WOSCGC.

    Again, I understand your genuine concerns. I can assure you I have
    relayed your concerns to Vertigo, who appears to be a thoroughly decent
    and helpful chap.

    Regards, DP

  19. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 Update.

    Hello again,

    Only a single game was submitted since last update - Chris Young's
    "Fluke" - so thanks for that!

    We now have 55 entries in this year's compo.

    Last month, the issue that some users were experiencing with images on
    the CSSCGC 2008 website not displaying should finally have ben solved
    and put to rest for good.

    I'm sorry that this took so long to fix - I could never reproduce it
    on my own systems for some strange reason.
    Of course, please let me know if you continue to have any problems
    with the CSSCGC 2008 website.

    WorldofSpectrum user Vertigo has now let me know that he fully
    understands the importance of posting about the CSCCGC compo actually
    on CSS and assures me that he is happy to do this next year. He is not
    currently a CSS poster, but thanks to Vertigo for getting back to me
    on this matter.

    We are now past the crucial "halfway point" of this year's compo, so
    it's all downhill from here - and that's not just the quality of the
    games either!

    So there's now less than six months left to get your submision(s)
    together for CSSCGC 2008 - time certainly does fly.

    Please keep them seeping in for any of the permitted platforms. As
    always, further entries are much appreciated.

    Best regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  20. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    CSSCGC 2008 entrant James Smith (aka Jimmy) doesn't currently have
    posting access to newsgroups at the minute, so he has hinted to me if
    I could mention his latest entry to CGC 2008 on comp.sys.sinclair.

    On the CSSCGC 2008 website you will find "Twenty Commodes" - a genuine
    VIC-20 emulator for the speccy, which he invites you to take a look
    at.

    "Twenty Commodes" is admittedly a bit too good for the crap game
    compo, which is more accustomed to "joke emulators". Of course it's
    very welcome in this year's compo anyway as it is such a "unique"
    program.

    Certainly this is an interesting entry for anyone who wishes to see
    the spectacle of the VIC's BASIC environment running on a speccy. It
    also runs a subset of VIC-20 game's too.

    The accompanying documentation describes how to download and play one
    of Jeff Minter's titles on it. (I should point out that naturally it
    does run very slow on a standard non-accelerated 3.5MHz speccy, which
    is I suppose one dispensation for welcoming it into a crap game
    compo!)

    For those who have been following Jimmy's entries this year, you may
    also like to know he also recently released a Compukit UK101 emulator
    for the speccy, and of course there was the one that started it all
    off - the real speccy emulator for the speccy! (Virtual Spectrum) .
    Likewise these are also available on the CSSCGC 2008 site.

    Cheers, DP