CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair

This is a discussion on CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun - Sinclair ; > Hi! > > It was just a joke . > > However, when will be the time for the public, to vote for this year > CSSCGC entries? > > Best regards, > > Daniel Mandic Hi Daniel, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

  1. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > Hi!
    >
    > It was just a joke .
    >
    > However, when will be the time for the public, to vote for this year
    > CSSCGC entries?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Daniel Mandic

    Hi Daniel,

    I know you were joking, I just like talking about the compo!

    Like last year and most of the previous years, this year's CSSCGC is
    judged by the competition host. So that's me this year, and I aim to
    be fair as possible.

    I believe there was at least one year of the CSSCGC which was open to
    public voting a few years back but there were some problems with this
    system, and so it has not been repeated since. It can be difficult to
    ensure that the competition is completely fair and secure if opened to
    public voting.

    I won't bore everyone with the details of this year's judging method
    here, but if you go onto the CSSCGC 2008 website you will see that I
    have a whole page dedicated to the judging process (Just click on the
    "Judging" link).

    Also, people are very welcome to express their own opinions on each of
    the submitted games, and even rate them as has already been done with
    some of them. The best way to do this, this year is to register on the
    "CSSCGC 2008 Forum", again just click on the "Forum" link on the
    CSSCGC 2008 website.

    I have made the registration as simple as possible (you don't even
    need e-mail validation!).

    On that forum you can comment on any of the games in this year's
    contest!

    Best Regards, DP

    CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

  2. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    My ears are burning :-) Glad my code snippets are coming in useful!

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Could gasman win CSSCGC? Well with his coding skills, I'm sure he
    > could make a "good" crap game if he wished!

    Well, I've actually done a couple of entries over the years, including
    what I think is my finest hour in crap game writing, CSS Catch Phrase:
    http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co....tap&year=2001
    - but my strategy of 'flashy front-end attached to rubbish concept'
    hasn't paid off yet. It's been a while though - probably about time I
    did another entry. And one for the Minigame competition, while I'm at it...

  3. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 10 Mar 2008 22:09:14 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Daniel Mandic:

    > P.S.: Could it be so? If gasman plays in CSSCGC, he would win, as ABBA
    > would win, if they would have played at euro song contest ;-)!?

    ABBA did play at Eurovision, and they did win. However, the ABBA
    look- and sound- a-likes last year failed completely.

    Let that be a warning to anybody impersonating gasman in their attempt
    to win Euro... erm, CSSCGC.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  4. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On 11 Mar 2008 23:05:04 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Daniel Mandic:

    > > ABBA did play at Eurovision, and they did win. However, the ABBA
    > > look- and sound- a-likes last year failed completely.

    > I can't say you caught me, because I still can't believe ABBA played at
    > eurovisionsongcontest... indeed! (I don't know!)

    I dug up the official page for you:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/index/main?page=66&event=290

    > > Let that be a warning to anybody impersonating gasman in their attempt
    > > to win Euro... erm, CSSCGC.

    > If so, I hope he'll have a "similar" career to ABBA, additional...

    I look forward to seeing him go on tour and releasing several
    chart-topping hits!

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > Well, I've actually done a couple of entries over the years, including
    > what I think is my finest hour in crap game writing, CSS Catch Phrase:http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co...gi?search=catc...
    > - but my strategy of 'flashy front-end attached to rubbish concept'
    > hasn't paid off yet. It's been a while though - probably about time I
    > did another entry. And one for the Minigame competition, while I'm at it...

    Hi gasman!

    Ahh, catchphrase. Never was quite the same after Roy Walker left.

    Glad you have an interest in the CSSCGC compo, I'm sure we all look
    forward to any game(s) that you may possibly submit.

    The Minigame compo is an interesting one, I have never submitted
    anything to it yet, but I am intrigued by it.

    Again, whilst I'm on I should announce:-

    Gavin Callard released his Sinclair QL version of the game "More Tea
    Vicar" yesterday. I've now uploaded it to the CSSCGC 2008 website.
    (added it to his existing MTV game bundle).

    I believe this may be the first ever Sinclair QL game submitted to the
    CSSCGC in the history of the compo, but I'm sure someone knowledgable
    can correct me if I am wrong.

    The game plays fine in the Windows emulator QL2K, I have not tried it
    on the older QLAY emulator which runs also on Linux, but as the
    submitted files appear to be in QLAY format I guess it should work on
    that emulator too!

    Have fun!,

    DP

  6. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Chris Young wrote:

    > ABBA did play at Eurovision, and they did win. However, the ABBA
    > look- and sound- a-likes last year failed completely.

    I can't say you caught me, because I still can't believe ABBA played at
    eurovisionsongcontest... indeed! (I don't know!)

    > Let that be a warning to anybody impersonating gasman in their attempt
    > to win Euro... erm, CSSCGC.

    If so, I hope he'll have a "similar" career to ABBA, additional...

    > Chris

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  7. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Chris Young wrote:

    > On 11 Mar 2008 23:05:04 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Daniel Mandic:
    >
    > > If so, I hope he'll have a "similar" career to ABBA, additional...

    > I look forward to seeing him go on tour and releasing several
    > chart-topping hits!

    "May you have a similar career to ABBA." Isn't that ancient Chinese
    curse or something?
    --
    Slower Than You

  8. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > Chris Young wrote:
    >
    >> I can't help but think that you're not taking your role of crap host
    >> very seriously (ie. by being rather non-crap at hosting the compo!)

    > My thoughts exactly. This is all getting terribly serious, isn't it?
    > Tape magazines; interrupt handlers; things "working seamlessly", even.

    It's probably just about the only thing that has worked seamlessly so far!

    The tape mag started off as a not terribly serious half an hour of BASIC
    coding on a rainy Saturday afternoon, to keep a bit of interest alive in
    the compo. In time, it sort of ran away with itself!

    > Crumbs. I've got an awful feeling it's even going to finish on time this
    > year.

    I hope so. I missed the trick of setting the deadline early, and then
    moving it back, oops!

    Now it's already on the very last day of 2008, leaving no leeway. So I
    wouldn't like to let it slip as it'd be a bit unfair on whoever ends up
    hosting CSSCGC 2009.

    Whoever they are, I hope they learn from this mistake, and next year set
    it early in December, and then move it back later!

  9. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn did eloquently scribble:
    >> Crumbs. I've got an awful feeling it's even going to finish on time this
    >> year.
    >>

    > I hope so. I missed the trick of setting the deadline early, and then
    > moving it back, oops!

    > Now it's already on the very last day of 2008, leaving no leeway. So I
    > wouldn't like to let it slip as it'd be a bit unfair on whoever ends up
    > hosting CSSCGC 2009.

    Check the history...
    It's become a bit of a tradition to extend the CGC into the next year by a
    few weeks... or even months.

  10. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    > Check the history...
    > It's become a bit of a tradition to extend the CGC into the next year by a
    > few weeks... or even months.

    Yes indeed, I've been looking back at the previous years competitions,
    and even acknowledged this previous tradition of the deadline being
    moved back on the CSSCGC 2008 site somewhere. So, I do somehow feel that
    finishing on time is akin to Radio 4 rescheduling Desert Island Disks or
    something equally outrageous!

    Nevertheless if I can, it'd certainly be more convenient for me to
    finish on time this year as I have the first week of Jan 2009 available
    to do the judging etc.. So that would be really nice if I could do that
    then.

    But we'll see how it goes, I can't tell what forces may conspire to
    wreck my best laid plans etc.. and if it turns out that it does get set
    back, then so be it! I guess my organised approach is bound to backfire
    somewhere along the line!

    If I may venture a bit off-topic, it's good to see my post from last
    night got through. I've started to use the news reader from the
    SeaMonkey suite, so that was really a bit of a test (and of my NNTP proxy).

    A little bit of background:- I used to post occasionally to CSS back
    around 1994 when I was in Uni, but having a large gap from the speccy
    scene since that time, I can't even find my old posts, since I can't
    even remember what my username was back then! Back then, I used to use
    'rn', and then later on 'tin'. I was never a "megaposter", more of a
    lurker really. I did dig up some posts from 2000 though.

    But, revisiting this group in 2007, I realise how much the Internet has
    changed. First issue I had, was I can't even find a decent publicly
    accessible free NNTP service, so I had to post via Google groups from my
    workplace.

    They used to run an NTTP server at work but they dropped it a few years
    back. Of course it's difficult to post to some other groups such as
    fido7.zx.spectrum from Google groups because the entire googlemail
    domain is blocked from FIDONET.

    Fortunately, my home ISP is on some Giganews service with IP based
    authentication, and they seem to carry at least 100,000 groups, and so I
    finally got around to setting up an NNTP proxy on my home system
    yesterday. I can now finally use a newsreader from work too.

    So what do people prefer to use?, I went on a bit of a nostalgia trip,
    and used 'trn' for a short while, but I guess I'm so accustomed to a
    full windowed environment nowadays that I find SeaMonkey to be much better.

    Sidenote: Giganews does not carry alt.fr.micro.sinclair whereas Google
    Groups does. Google groups does not carry kiel.computer.zx81, whereas
    Giganews does. Not that these groups are even used nowadays, but strange
    nonetheless. I wonder who makes these decisions?

    There is a also one post in this very thread which shows up via the news
    client, but Google groups can't see it. Quite bizzare!

  11. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn did eloquently scribble:
    > A little bit of background:- I used to post occasionally to CSS back
    > around 1994 when I was in Uni, but having a large gap from the speccy
    > scene since that time, I can't even find my old posts, since I can't
    > even remember what my username was back then! Back then, I used to use
    > 'rn', and then later on 'tin'. I was never a "megaposter", more of a
    > lurker really. I did dig up some posts from 2000 though.

    tsk.
    I started posting to css in 1995...
    I HAVE found my first post in the past (it was about the QL iirc)
    back then I used tin...
    And...
    I STILL AM!

    Tin's a perfectly adequate newsreader. Who needs flashy GUIs for text only
    media?

    > But, revisiting this group in 2007, I realise how much the Internet has
    > changed. First issue I had, was I can't even find a decent publicly
    > accessible free NNTP service, so I had to post via Google groups from my
    > workplace.

    It's not free, but nearly so...
    www.individual.net. It's only 10 euros per year. And it is a very good
    service (non-binary only though)

    > Sidenote: Giganews does not carry alt.fr.micro.sinclair whereas Google
    > Groups does. Google groups does not carry kiel.computer.zx81, whereas
    > Giganews does. Not that these groups are even used nowadays, but strange
    > nonetheless. I wonder who makes these decisions?

    The network administrator at each individual company.
    But as google is more for the archival than the posting, it stands to reason
    they'd still have old groups long since dead, because they were once quite
    active and the messages are saved.

    > There is a also one post in this very thread which shows up via the news
    > client, but Google groups can't see it. Quite bizzare!

    Sometimes, articles take a while to appear on google groups (or appear on
    other news servers when posted from google)... And of course... there's also
    the no-archive (or "don't bother reading my article cos it's not worth
    archiving") tag which stops a lot of news posts from appearing on google
    after a month.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > tsk.
    > I started posting to css in 1995...

    Thanks very much for your informative and interesting post!

    I originally had Internet access from 1991-94. As you know, everything
    back then was pretty much command line and text based, and it was very
    efficient to get things done. I'd never even seen a web page at the
    time. I also remember typing telephone numbers into a PAD> prompt to
    play some sort of MUD game, but it's all a bit of a haze now!

    Alas, after this, I had a two year gap where I had no Internet access.

    When I got back online in 1996, everything had changed, and it was GUI
    based tools everywhere you looked.

    Had I not had this hiatus away from the Internet, I probably would have
    continued to use exactly the same tools and programs in the same way as
    I had done previously. But instead, I had become a little rusty on using
    these original text based programs. I therefore started surfing the web
    with Mosaic, and later Netscape, and using various other GUI based
    programs. Things never were quite the same again! Thankfully I was still
    able to use useful things like 'vi' whilst offline, and I'm very glad I
    did not forget about these UNIX tools, which prove to be enduringly useful.

    So, perhaps for many things, the old text-based ways are still the best!

    I have another question for anyone who can answer:- Over on the WoS
    forums, there was mention of the old "SincNews" mailing list. I never
    subscribed to it myself back in the day, but someone asked the question
    "Are the old SincNews posts archived anywhere?"

    Clearly, this would be a potentially valuable mine of information if it
    were still accessible today. I have looked around myself, but haven't
    found anything, apart from sites where it used to be archived. It
    appears though that the archive has been removed from these sites a long
    time ago.

    I wonder if anyone knows if an archive of these posts still exists anywhere?

    Cheers, DP

  13. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > I have another question for anyone who can answer:- Over on the WoS
    > forums, there was mention of the old "SincNews" mailing list. I never
    > subscribed to it myself back in the day, but someone asked the question
    > "Are the old SincNews posts archived anywhere?"
    >
    > Clearly, this would be a potentially valuable mine of information if it
    > were still accessible today. I have looked around myself, but haven't
    > found anything, apart from sites where it used to be archived. It
    > appears though that the archive has been removed from these sites a long
    > time ago.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone knows if an archive of these posts still exists
    > anywhere?

    Have you looked to see if the internet archive has an old copy of these
    sites?

    Fred

  14. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Fred wrote:
    > Have you looked to see if the internet archive has an old copy of these
    > sites?
    >
    > Fred

    Thanks Fred, I forgot that site existed!

    I will check it out later this evening,

    Regards, DP

  15. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Have you looked to see if the internet archive has an old copy of
    >> these sites?
    >>
    >> Fred

    > Thanks Fred, I forgot that site existed!
    >
    > I will check it out later this evening,
    >
    > Regards, DP

    An initial search on that site didn't yield any of the old posts from
    the mailing list, but that could just be because I am unaware of all of
    the relevant URLs to search on within the web archive. I couldn't say
    for certain that they are not lurking within there somewhere. The quest
    continues...

  16. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Digital Prawn wrote:
    > The quest
    > continues...

    P.S., "Unsatisfactory Software" (Chris Young, Phillip Lake et al.)
    submitted 2 crap games to CSSCGC 2008 today!

  17. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:02:47 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:

    > Digital Prawn wrote:
    >> The quest
    >> continues...

    > P.S., "Unsatisfactory Software" (Chris Young, Phillip Lake et al.)
    > submitted 2 crap games to CSSCGC 2008 today!

    That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.
    I've actually got some UDGs defined for the hero now, so there's actually
    a chance there'll be a game for this CGC. It'll only be a year late then.

    I sound like Imagine.
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  18. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Derek Jolly did eloquently scribble:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:02:47 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:

    >> Digital Prawn wrote:
    >>> The quest
    >>> continues...

    >> P.S., "Unsatisfactory Software" (Chris Young, Phillip Lake et al.)
    >> submitted 2 crap games to CSSCGC 2008 today!

    > That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.
    > I've actually got some UDGs defined for the hero now, so there's actually
    > a chance there'll be a game for this CGC. It'll only be a year late then.

    > I sound like Imagine.

    It's not going to require a hardware upgrade that'll turn the speccy into a
    superdooper machine (but will never see the light of day) is it?
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  19. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    Derek Jolly wrote:
    > That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.

    Sounds promising. At least it's not Skinny Dipping with George Cole,
    that would've been quite awful.

  20. Re: CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Derek Jolly did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:02:47 +0000, Digital Prawn wrote:

    >> That reminds me. I need to get Skinny Dipping with Kyla Cole finished.
    >> I've actually got some UDGs defined for the hero now, so there's actually
    >> a chance there'll be a game for this CGC. It'll only be a year late then.

    >> I sound like Imagine.

    > It's not going to require a hardware upgrade that'll turn the speccy into a
    > superdooper machine (but will never see the light of day) is it?

    The mind boggles at what sort of hardware upgrade might be required by a
    game featuring The Lovely Kyla.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.