OpenZXRom 2007-12-31 released - Sinclair

This is a discussion on OpenZXRom 2007-12-31 released - Sinclair ; I've just put out a new release of OpenZXRom, the freely licensed replacement for the Spectrum ROM rewritten from scratch with no Amstrad code: http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/openzxrom-2007-12-31/ This release is particularly announcement-worthy, because it's the first one that supports all the essential ...

  1. OpenZXRom 2007-12-31 released

    I've just put out a new release of OpenZXRom, the freely licensed
    replacement for the Spectrum ROM rewritten from scratch with no Amstrad
    code:

    http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/openzxrom-2007-12-31/

    This release is particularly announcement-worthy, because it's the first
    one that supports all the essential components of a Basic loader (namely
    CLEAR, LOAD, RANDOMIZE and USR), meaning that a random TZX file plucked
    from WOS will stand a small, but not vanishingly small, chance of
    rate is, because I've been spending the holidays at my parents' house
    with dialup and without a massive collection of TZX files to test with,
    but it definitely does run a grand total of... *some* games. Huzzah!

    This means that any emulator author wanting to compile a self-sufficient
    package that passes the ultra-picky licence requirements of people like
    Debian and Ubuntu (that'd be Fuse then), or hardware clone builder
    wanting to stick to the letter of Amstrad's permission statement, can
    now begin to consider OpenZXRom as a workable (albeit still far from
    perfect) solution to their problems. Double huzzah!

    More to the point, the time is now right to compile a big chart of 'most
    desired' games (the YS top 100s combined with Andrew Rollings's book
    perhaps?), load up each one and note down which ones work with OpenZXRom
    - and for the ones that don't, how and where they fail (via the
    newly-added orange-border-of-death diagnostic error messages) so that we
    can find out the most important features to tackle next. Any volunteers
    to help out with that not-too-intellectually-challenging job? :-)

  2. Re: OpenZXRom 2007-12-31 released

    That's excellent news. Well done!

+ Reply to Thread