The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest - Sinclair ; Torsten wrote on 12. January 2008: > > The Spectrum was the ultimate best computer > of the 80s. He was all over the world. AFAIK mainly in the UK. I wonder, it seems that you are, like me, German, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Torsten wrote on 12. January 2008:

    > The Spectrum was the ultimate best computer
    > of the 80s. He was all over the world.

    AFAIK mainly in the UK. I wonder, it seems that you are, like me, German,
    and there were mainly C64 and Atari XLs.

    Anyway, though I had a C64 I might say that the ATARI XL was better. Just
    From the specs, like having more colors [1], a MIDI interface and others
    the C64 lacks. But the C64 had the better sound (probably the best you
    could get for non-professionals), and more games available.

    Then, the Speccy less memory and other things, compared to the Atari and
    C64.

    But then, you'll never forget the first time you fell in love. Will
    always be the best you had. :-)

    [1] I recall to have seen a demo where a robot was walking. They used
    shading, so when he moved the light was reflecting differently all the
    time. That would had been impossible with the C64 and probably Speccies.
    --
    Andreas
    My Commodore 64 classic game music page at

  2. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

    > AFAIK mainly in the UK. I wonder, it seems that you are, like me,
    > German, and there were mainly C64 and Atari XLs.

    ZX81!?

    > Anyway, though I had a C64 I might say that the ATARI XL was better.
    > Just From the specs, like having more colors [1], a MIDI interface
    > and others the C64 lacks. But the C64 had the better sound (probably
    > the best you could get for non-professionals), and more games
    > available.

    Four voices are fewer than three out of timing shrieks!?

    Ghostbusters sounded better on Atari for example, IMO. Or International
    Karate, not to mention M.U.L.E. (far better, even in Sound!)

    > Then, the Speccy less memory and other things, compared to the Atari
    > and C64.

    41KB Basic free is less? My dear...

    > But then, you'll never forget the first time you fell in love. Will
    > always be the best you had. :-)

    That's it.

    [B/W Compy, Atari VCS, Speccy48K, AMIGA, etc.]

    > [1] I recall to have seen a demo where a robot was walking. They used
    > shading, so when he moved the light was reflecting differently all the
    > time. That would had been impossible with the C64 and probably
    > Speccies.

    Nice Demo.... the big starship looks good, too. Sound is also
    mentionable!

    I don't know.... MASIC, or Kemal Ezcan tunes on the XL were other
    than the C64....

    (somewhere in Kansas is the big beard-machine for the loooong beard
    this story has, and it is rolling it up frequently)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  3. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    "Andreas Kohlbach" wrote in message
    Torsten wrote on 12. January 2008:

    > The Spectrum was the ultimate best computer
    > of the 80s. He was all over the world.

    In insignificant numbers, mostly.

    The speccy was to eighties computing what Britney Spears was to the music
    industry...

    Cheap and nasty but marketable to a particular demographic.(desperate povs
    that were easily satisfied in the case of the Speccy)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3